Jim Brown Criticizes Tiger/Jordan for lack of participation in social activism

he's 100 percent right, especially with Tiger. You know Tiger doesn't want anything to do with his black heritage. Especially regarding the sport ofgolf and the politics that come with it, Tiger should speak more.

and to whoever said "they don't want to be public figures" ummm they are already.... That makes no sense whatsoever. You are already a publicfigure, do something for your culture.

It is not everyone's place to get involved in politics. I do feel that they all (athletes) have a duty to give back, just allow them to decide how.

MJ and Tiger got too many corporate sponsors to participate, it's as simple as that. You might not like it, but it is what it is. Even Mike once said"Even Republicans buy sneakers" or something to that affect. Its about the money. But they do have their charitable donations. So maybe their moneyequals Brown's time. MAYBE

Not to say his point is invalid, but why is he singling them out? Because they're black?

There are plenty of wealthier people in this world who do less.

This isn't the first time that I've heard about him getting upset with athletes for this reason.

Charles Barkley was one of the athletes he mentioned the last time I heard him complaining.

I don't think criticizing them through the media will encourage them to join the cause. If they don't want to participate, give it a rest and try tofind other athletes who are willing to help.

I agree that Jim should contact these guys rather than blow them in up via the media. Maybe he should organize something that could employ the use of MJ andTiger w/o messing with their paper.

I admire Jim and Ali and many others for stepping up. Sometimes you just gotta lead with your actions.

and to whoever said "they don't want to be public figures" ummm they are already.... That makes no sense whatsoever. You are already a public figure, do something for your culture.
I'm going to go ahead and assume your talking to me. I didn't say he doesn't want to be a public figure, I'm saying hedoesn't care to be in the public eye as an activist.

I mean as an individual for social change, Jim is right, Tiger is terrible at being an activist because he isn't an activist and has never pretended to be. but he gives stupid money to charity, he's a humble guy, and a good role moel, I am satisfied with that.

Originally Posted by wohcttank

The same Jim Brown that was accused of raping an 18 yr old in 1965, accused of throwing his fiance off of a balcony in 1968, accused of beating up a man after a traffic accident in 1969, accused of rape in 1985, domestic violence in 1986, sending death threats in 1999 and vandalism in 1999?

Yea thats exactly the guy that needs to be saying something about activism.
laugh.gif
I was thinking the same thing....dude has little control in his own life...he should worry about himself. It's ultimately Tiger'sand MJ's decision to make...they don't need someone who isn't exactly a model citizen saying what they should/shouldn't be doing. Not everyoneis comfortable in that role...let them be.

on top of it all, this is the same dummy who co-signed to Maurice Clarett
grin.gif

"They cannot beat Maurice Clarett into being a slave in this society,"

smh.gif

Originally Posted by Joseph Camel Jr

Not to say his point is invalid, but why is he singling them out? Because they're black?

There are plenty of wealthier people in this world who do less.

The Black community has a serious vacuum of leadership and dudes like MJ dropped the torch that Black celebrities have been carrying for generations.

You can see the stagnation in cultural and social awareness as a result.

"In the 60's when I called athletes to come and talk to Muhammad Ali, they didn't bring their agents, managers and lawyers. They came because they thought it was worthwhile. We athletes were just like normal citizens in those days, fighting for our rights," he said in a recent interview. "We didn't put our sport before our manhood."

Originally Posted by AntBanks81

I agree that Jim should contact these guys rather than blow them in up via the media. Maybe he should organize something that could employ the use of MJ and Tiger w/o messing with their paper.

I admire Jim and Ali and many others for stepping up. Sometimes you just gotta lead with your actions.
Jim has done plenty leading with his action and you know damn well MJ wants no part of any movement unless it revolves around uplifting his ego.

who cares. you guys not understanding that some people just dont give a %@$@? if they dont want to do it, then let them be. its not their job to uplift peoplejust because they are famous and black.

So why are you mad at people expressing their personal opinions?

Everyone is supposed to spineless and self centered because you are?

These athletes get virtually no real criticism. This is light.

They sure do know how to use their race to earn billions...but they can't take 5 minutes out to make a real statement.

Originally Posted by HueyP in LouieV

So why are you mad at people expressing their personal opinions?

Everyone is supposed to spineless and self centered because you are?

These athletes get virtually no real criticism. This is light.

They sure do know how to use their race to earn billions...but they can't take 5 minutes out to make a real statement.
maybe because they genuinely dont care bro. they didnt get enlightened by taking sociology classes in college like every 20 year old out there whowants to change the world. call me whatever you want. im not speaking about myself here. im talking about other people. i can understand that most people dontcare about topics like this regardless of how i feel. i guess you cannnot.

I think he's got a point about what he is saying, but at the same time, he and Tiger Woods are different people with different mindsets and levels ofcomfort dealing with societal issues. I would greatly admire Tiger and Jordan more if they were to speak out, but it would hurt their corporate sponsorshipsand therefore affect their financial profits. Tiger Woods image is a business and if he doesn't want it to be affected by any controversial stances. JimBrown can rip him all he wants, but it's not going to change a single thing if Wood's priorities don't include speaking up.

Well all Jim Brown is doing is expressing his opinion of their attitudes?

Whats wrong with that?

There a 10 page thread floating around here....about LeBron's choice of t-shirts
eyes.gif

And you don't need to take a sociology course to help your people.

Angelina-Jolie-africa.jpg

mjordan-drunk.jpg

YAWN.

If the athletes want to make a stand, then they will. Some athletes care not to take a stand on things for being criticized, because if you get involved,you'll get criticized REGARDLESS.

Dude just wants to be controversial, and that's all that Tiger/Jordan being more socially active.

Was Ali not controversial during his career when he was outspoken about the issues he discussed?

Jim Brown, you get a big
smh.gif
from me.

What's criticizing them supposed to do? He's been doing it for years and obviously, it's not working.

Will it make more people side with Jim, and put MJ and Tiger's images in jeopardy, eventually causing them to give in?

Jim Brown called MJ out on this same thing in the past and nothing has changed.

And times are different, so he would be wasting his time comparing today's athletes to athletes decades ago.

This is almost as dumb as someone pushing their religious or political views on you.

i really never understood why people call people out like this. can i be myself. And Jim Brown can speak on everybody not just the dominant black men in sports

That seems like a pretty personal choice for Jim to talk like this about Tiger/Mike. I understand perhaps making the suggestion, but they can live their liveshow they want

If you don't think that the "coolness" of black culture attributed to MJ's commercial appeal....don't know what to tell you.

Originally Posted by vctry20

and to whoever said "they don't want to be public figures" ummm they are already.... That makes no sense whatsoever. You are already a public figure, do something for your culture.
I'm going to go ahead and assume your talking to me. I didn't say he doesn't want to be a public figure, I'm saying he doesn't care to be in the public eye as an activist.

I mean as an individual for social change, Jim is right, Tiger is terrible at being an activist because he isn't an activist and has never pretended to be. but he gives stupid money to charity, he's a humble guy, and a good role moel, I am satisfied with that.

yeah i get what you are saying. I think Jim Browns points have merit as well though. It's just with the history of golf banning minorities Ifeel like it's more important for Tiger to speak out than Jordan. All in all I always got the idea that Tiger is not too proud of his black side. Howeverobviously I don't know the man on a personal level so I'm basing this on what I've seen through the media.

Back
Top Bottom