Jim Brown Criticizes Tiger/Jordan for lack of participation in social activism

Originally Posted by HueyP in LouieV

If you don't think that the "coolness" of black culture attributed to MJ's commercial appeal....don't know what to tell you.

and tiger woods has golf stores selling nike clubs all throughout the hoods of america
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Jim Brown is correct, Athletes have a forum to insight change. yea they "doin them" but it takes a greater human being to be more concerned with Human issues than just their wallets.

and it aint just a :black" thing, this goes for everyone
Very well said sir.

Originally Posted by DubA169

he's 100 percent right, especially with Tiger. You know Tiger doesn't want anything to do with his black heritage. Especially regarding the sport of golf and the politics that come with it, Tiger should speak more.
That has always been my issue with Tiger.
When you are THAT great, the sponsors and media will tolerate you being outspoken about a lot of issues. No one is saying Tiger should preach every chance hegets. But he definitely has the opportunity to take a stand on some things yet he simply chooses not to. Disappointing.

Originally Posted by dmxfury

That seems like a pretty personal choice for Jim to talk like this about Tiger/Mike. I understand perhaps making the suggestion, but they can live their lives how they want
Tiger and Mike are two of the absolute most popular sports figures in the history of this planet. The influence that they have is ridiculous. Andthem making small statements can lead to huge changes in society. So I think that's why Brown singled Tiger out.
For instance, as a man who is multi-racial and who has biracial children, Tiger making public service announcements to denounce racism or the use of the N wordshould be a no-brainer for him. For him and Jordan to not try to make the world a better place for their own kids is wild.

Originally Posted by HueyP in LouieV

The Black community has a serious vacuum of leadership and dudes like MJ dropped the torch that Black celebrities have been carrying for generations.

You can see the stagnation in cultural and social awareness as a result.
Completely agree. MJ definitely dropped the torch. Like I said above, the influence that Mike had at one point was unbelievable.

To a lesser degree, look at Jay-Z. I've always said if he challenged himself to make an album without using the N word, a BOATLOAD of young'uns wouldstop using the word too.

If Kanye can get dudes to question purchasing jewelry/blood diamonds, I can't see why Tiger or Mike can't bring light to certain injustices in theworld as well.

I'm not saying for them to be Gandhi or Teresa. But every now and then, they can speak up on something.

fortymillion_cover.jpg

Forty Million Dollar Slaves: The Rise, Fall, and Redemption of the Black Athlete

by William C Rhoden

a review of some of its content

One of Rhoden's contentions is that many of the African Americans who benefit from employment as pro athletes have sacrificed whatever social conscience they might have had to the goal of maximizing their own profits. Exhibit A, Rhoden says, is Michael Jordan, who has steadfastly refused to take sides on any issue because, as he once said, "Republicans buy sneakers, too." In a country where an individual's value is measured in great part by income, Jordan fits right in, of course, but Rhoden calls for contemporary athletes to work together and pool their resources to change a system that often renders even the wealthiest of them submissive. As Rhoden puts it, "today the slave and the plantation describe a state of mind and the conditioning of the mind."...

and Credit Jemelle Hill for this nugget, But I didnt realize Steve Nash was such a pioneer for change
pimp.gif

Steve Nash was one of the Time 100 people who shape our world list
"Sports leaders like Steve Nash have a unique opportunity to leverage the popularity of their well-known brands to create positive and meaningful change in people's lives."
nash-steve081128ap.jpg
Phoenix Suns guard Steve Nash, right, is a big soccer fan. (Jim Mone/Associated Press)
Soccer is the world game, the beautiful game, and the No. 1 spectator sport on the planet, but it is much more than what takes place on the field between two teams.

A sport that is followed with fervour by over a billion fans across the globe, soccer can also serve as a unifying mechanism and a tool for social change, a fact not lost on Canadian NBA star Steve Nash.

Nash, a starting point guard for the Phoenix Suns, is one of the NBA's most prominent stars and the only Canadian to win the league's MVP award (in 2005 and 2006). The native of Victoria is also a huge soccer fan, and is using his passion for the sport to help those in need around the world.

On Saturday during a gala event in Toronto, Nash will officially launch a new organization called Football for Good, a collaboration between his charitable foundation and Toronto-based outfit Athletes for Africa.

Nash said Football for Good's goal is to bring soccer academies, and "cultural programs and leadership training to regions ravaged by war."

The Phoenix Suns star explained that he and Adrian Bradbury, founder and director of Athletes for Africa, put their heads together and began to explore ways they can use sport to help people in need in places such as Africa.

What they came up with was Football for Good.

"We started thinking, what's the link between Africa and the rest of the world? Because in many ways - in industry, the economy, pop culture - there are so many ways we could look at the disconnection between Africa and the rest of the world. The one common element that we found that was really strong was soccer," Nash told CBC Radio's Metro Morning on Friday.
[h3]A 'sustainable, social business'[/h3]
Nash explained Football for Good is not your typical philanthropic organization, describing it as a "sustainable, social business."

It's a "new way to do social work in the form of a social business," said Nash.

"Instead of continually looking for donations and charity, we want take an initial capital raise and invest it in a social business where all the profits go back into the cause, which in this case is a soccer academy that would also have arts programs, baseline health care and education for kids in the region."

Football for Good's pilot youth centre will be built in northern Uganda, where violence has devastated its towns and villages for over two decades.

"We found a place that Adrian is very familiar with, we paid for a survey and asked what the people there wanted, and they told us they wanted something for their best and brightest to excel at, and they wanted an opportunity for them to find something better and to give back to the communities," Nash stated.

Nash believes sports, in particular soccer, can do a lot of good and help to improve people's lives.

"I think sports brings commonality between people … For us to be able to find soccer, which is so passionately loved in Africa and most regions of the world, we feel we've found something that we can bring people from the first world to give them a connection them to the people of Africa and some of the problems in their area," Nash said.

Nash comes by his love for soccer naturally, having played the game as a youngster while growing up in British Columbia. He is also part of an ownership group that is bidding to bring a Major League Soccer expansion franchise to Vancouver.

He also comes from a "soccer family."

"My parents are British and my dad was as semi-professional player, my brother [Martin] plays for the Canadian national team, and my first word was goal, so for me soccer is a huge part of my life, it's one of my big passions," Nash explained.

pimp.gif

The same Jim Brown that was accused of raping an 18 yr old in 1965, accused of throwing his fiance off of a balcony in 1968, accused of beating up a man aftera traffic accident in 1969, accused of rape in 1985, domestic violence in 1986, sending death threats in 1999 and vandalism in 1999?

Yea thats exactly the guy that needs to be saying something about activism.

i concur

My mom used to school me about how Jordan never used his influences to speak on conditions in the black community when I was a young boy.

I don't care to know about athletes positions on politics and social activism.

These athletes are businessmen, you aren't suppose to mix business and politics.

"Republicans buy Jordans too." Good job, Mike.

Imagine if Tiger and MJ teamed up and URGED Nike to officially stop child labor and low costs to workers. Nike would *(&^ themselves.

Originally Posted by DoItAllPaul

Imagine if Tiger and MJ teamed up and URGED Nike to officially stop child labor and low costs to workers. Nike would *(&^ themselves.
precisely.

It's not like these guys didn't endure racism and work hard to get where they're at. Let them be who they want to be, I think they've earnedthat right. It'd be a good thing if they used their stature to try and make a difference but they're not going to so they also shouldn't be immuneto this sort of criticism.

Talbert

A lot of decent points made in this thread. Who has the right to point out what another person should be doing?
But does the skeletons in his closet (mind you I didnt see any convictions), invalidate his point?
I agree the media to call out anyone on this type of subject is rarely the best way to motivate anyone to change.
Is forcing them to do something worth it, if their heart isnt in it?

I agree that Tiger and MJ have a social responsibilty to try to or at least speak on situations that need improvement.
His estimated earnings have been over 900 million, yes he does give a lot monetarily but someone said it earlier he has earned the
"power" to speak on things or initate programs for change. Without it affectting his pocket. And lets say for arguments sake some sponser
pulled out of a deal with Tiger? Who is going to look worse Tiger taking a stand or that Company?
And realisticly, isnt the point of taking a stand realizing that there will be repercussions? If it does "hurt" him financially, I dont think it willderail his
train to billionaire status.
Same goes for MJ. But we all know he is all about the money.

If we think about the top celebrities that are out on the fore-front, I would be hard pressed to find an athlete.
You got Oprah, Brangelina, Clooney, Damon, Bono, Madonna (saving the world one kid at a time).
Im sure there are more including athletes. And I know that many have charities of different sorts that help.

Take the situation of Darfur. Tiger could have spoke on that without costing him anything. Everyone knows its a bad situation.

I agree with Jim Brown in that I think more athletes should be participating in social causes and things of that nature, but I'd love to see how sociallyactive Jim Brown would be if he had as much money as Tiger and MJ

Thats actually the problem imo, I mean its great to have sports figures as mentors and have lead on social issues and etc but I would like to see more diverseblack figures appear at the forefront in terms of leadership for the black community than just athletes and entertainers. People like Kenneth Chenault, RichardParsons, Reed Tuckson.... most people don't even know who these people are. I hate that success in the black community is only depicted in the form ofentertainment and sports by the media, wish more occupations like engineering, doctors, CEO's were highlighted in the same vein then many of the youngergeneration wouldn't short themselves so much. Just last month a black women became the first CEO of a Fortune 500 company [Xerox.]

Originally Posted by DoItAllPaul

Nike would have many choices: (my opinions)

Drop the athletes:
Nike has rode both of these athletes to solidifying itself in each respective sport as a brand. Dropping either of these athletes to let them move to anotherbrand wouldn't be too much of a loss knowing that finding what they are asking for would leave them with a small brand and hurt their own (MJ and TW)financial growth through endorsements and apparel.

Clear the Air:
They would go on record AGAIN as saying that not a single Nike employee works in those sweatshops, which is 100% true.

Move out of a specific country:
They could just move to another contractor in another country. Taking business away from their original providers would crush the provider's economy.People don't realize how much these manufacturing countries rely on American goods and contracts just to sustain themselves.

My girlfriend spent a while in China and got a chance to talk to factory workers and she said they took great pride in being skilled laborers knowing that theywere insured a job no matter what the pay was.

It's funny how those who are quick to hop on their soap box are usually the biggest hypocrites of them all.

I don't think athletes should be required to make social change. It they are, why aren't actors and actresses required to do the same.

But WHY do they have to do it? Steve Nash may be more in-tuned with what's going on globally...Mike and Tiger may not. Just because people veiw you in aposition to make a "statement" doesn't mean that you have to do it.

I applaud Steve Nash for a lot of his stances on things in this world...however, I don't think any less of any athlete who CHOOSES not to get involved withanything political or social. You better back what you say with as close to 100% facts as you can, otherwise you stand up there looking foolish. Jim Brown hasput his foot in his mouth on more than one occasion, and of all the people to criticize Tiger or MJ, he'd be the last one I'd listen to.

Speaking of Nash

Today is his charity soccer game in Chinatown New York.

Last year was the first one and featured Thierry Henry, Baron Davis, Jason Kidd, and others.

raptors29 wrote:

I don't think athletes should be required to make social change. It they are, why aren't actors and actresses required to do the same.
on that, I see way more Actors and actresses actually take a stance on issues
*shrugs*
I think you're missing the boat on this discussion.

Originally Posted by MALI700

The same Jim Brown that was accused of raping an 18 yr old in 1965, accused of throwing his fiance off of a balcony in 1968, accused of beating up a man after a traffic accident in 1969, accused of rape in 1985, domestic violence in 1986, sending death threats in 1999 and vandalism in 1999?

i concur

hum... so MLK used the N word was known for having a few flings during the time he was married to Coretta Scott, dabbled with drugs in his younger years.... soI guess all his social activism should be discredited aswell.

eyes.gif

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

But WHY do they have to do it? Steve Nash may be more in-tuned with what's going on globally...Mike and Tiger may not. Just because people veiw you in a position to make a "statement" doesn't mean that you have to do it.

I applaud Steve Nash for a lot of his stances on things in this world...however, I don't think any less of any athlete who CHOOSES not to get involved with anything political or social. You better back what you say with as close to 100% facts as you can, otherwise you stand up there looking foolish. Jim Brown has put his foot in his mouth on more than one occasion, and of all the people to criticize Tiger or MJ, he'd be the last one I'd listen to.

Its not just Jim Brown, he just has the loudest voice at the moment.
Like I posted on the previous page, read William Rhoden's book 40 million dollar slave.

U can say what you want about Jim Brown and his run ins with the law, but when it comes to action and being in the community and promoting change, his motivesare above reproach.

Does Huey Newton or Sonny Carson's past run ins with the law,change or distort their message and works in the community? History says no.

*edit, and no, they dont have to do anything

Originally Posted by NostrandAve68

Originally Posted by MALI700

The same Jim Brown that was accused of raping an 18 yr old in 1965, accused of throwing his fiance off of a balcony in 1968, accused of beating up a man after a traffic accident in 1969, accused of rape in 1985, domestic violence in 1986, sending death threats in 1999 and vandalism in 1999?

i concur

hum... so MLK used the N word was known for having a few flings during the time he was married to Coretta Scott, dabbled with drugs in his younger years.... so I guess all his social activism should be discredited aswell.

eyes.gif

C'mon now...his transgressions are a "tad" bit different than what Jim Brown has done.

Its not just Jim Brown, he just has the loudest voice at the moment.
Like I posted on the previous page, read William Rhoden's book 40 million dollar slave.

U can say what you want about Jim Brown and his run ins with the law, but when it comes to action and being in the community and promoting change, his motives are above reproach.

Does Huey Newton or Sonny Carson's past run ins with the law,change or distort their message and works in the community? History says no.

I'll definitely give that book a look....

however, Jim Brown while he has promoted change etc is one of the last people I would look at as a role model or someone whose words I should follow. Whilehe's active in the community, how does it look when he's been accused of beating women of his own race? History may say "no" as far assomeone's message outweighing their run-ins with the law, but I don't view it that way. There are plenty of other people out there who are proactiveon the change front who DO lead good lives both on and off the field (pun intended).

Back
Top Bottom