Jim Courier Nike Tennis Kicks

Agassi won wimbledon in all white challenge futures right?

I'd love all of the old tennis stuff to come back properly

Had an amazing pair of shoes back in the day that sampras wore....they looked a bit like the challenge pro 3 but with a wrap around heel max air

Originally Posted by ScoopFromTheHoop

Had an amazing pair of shoes back in the day that sampras wore....they looked a bit like the challenge pro 3 but with a wrap around heel max air
I believe you are correct on the "white out" challenge futures.  The other possibility was the huarache based mid Agassi- forgetting the name right now that came in primarily white with some green and black speckles.

I can vaguely remember the Sampras stuff you are referring to, though I can't come up with a name.  Will do some digging around when I have a chance.

Quite honestly, the Agassi, Sampras, and Courier stuff of the early and mid 90s was unparalleled in terms of tennis shoes and colorways.  Sampras was always a little bland but here and there brought out some color.  You can see Nike trying to revive it some with Rafa and Fed, but its just not the same.  How many peeps can you see wearing Rafa stuff 5, 10, or 15 years down the line.  Can't even imagine it being retroed.  Agassi, however still has a pretty cult like following, and his sneakers are even revered to some degree by people who know very little to nothing about tennis.  That is what makes the tech challenge and some of the early stuff so amazing IMO.

I believe you are correct on the "white out" challenge futures.  The other possibility was the huarache based mid Agassi- forgetting the name right now that came in primarily white with some green and black speckles.

I can vaguely remember the Sampras stuff you are referring to, though I can't come up with a name.  Will do some digging around when I have a chance.

Quite honestly, the Agassi, Sampras, and Courier stuff of the early and mid 90s was unparalleled in terms of tennis shoes and colorways.  Sampras was always a little bland but here and there brought out some color.  You can see Nike trying to revive it some with Rafa and Fed, but its just not the same.  How many peeps can you see wearing Rafa stuff 5, 10, or 15 years down the line.  Can't even imagine it being retroed.  Agassi, however still has a pretty cult like following, and his sneakers are even revered to some degree by people who know very little to nothing about tennis.  That is what makes the tech challenge and some of the early stuff so amazing IMO.

Actually he wore the Air Challenge Huarache when he won Wimbledon in 1992.  The GR's were predominantly white with blue trim, though I think his PE's were all-white.  In 1993, he wore the Air Challenge Future, but lost to Sampras in the quarters.  

81341171.jpg

1993 ~ Really pushing it with the colors...

110171101.jpg

I remember those Sampras shoes and even saw the ad for it last week... but I can't remember the name!  Damn! 
laugh.gif

Actually he wore the Air Challenge Huarache when he won Wimbledon in 1992.  The GR's were predominantly white with blue trim, though I think his PE's were all-white.  In 1993, he wore the Air Challenge Future, but lost to Sampras in the quarters.  

81341171.jpg

1993 ~ Really pushing it with the colors...

110171101.jpg

I remember those Sampras shoes and even saw the ad for it last week... but I can't remember the name!  Damn! 
laugh.gif

I've been an Agassi fan since 1989 with the ATC II's, but loved the Huaraches.  The Challenge Futures were a great shoe that I'd love to see retroed.  He never won anything big in those since his wrist surgery was around that time, so those shoes were overshadowed by the Flares in the 1994 US Open.  But the Futures were awesome - they were the only shoe that had each design element I wanted at the time - Huarache upper, innerboot, midfoot strap, and visible air.  Sneakernews did a retrospect on them: http://sneakernews.com/20...h-challenge-future-1993/

But back to Courier - the Supreme Courts were pretty cool, but the version afterwards lost me and I think they killed the series - they had gimmicky ankle straps that didn't do crap.  Air Supreme Focus:
http://www.sneakerfreaker...51-140307-150-1large.jpg
But when the Air Resistance came out, I was back in:
http://www.sneakerfreaker...41-140317-131-1large.jpg
They were comfortable and durable, and had a good ad campaign to back them up.  I played plenty of tennis but didn't take advantage of the 6-month warrantee.  I went back to the Challenge line for the LWPs and Alarms, but just before I started college, the Resistance II Extra came out and I swapped back in again.  The regular Resistance II's were a bit too abrasive to me, but the Extras brought the comfort back, and they lasted a while too.  The Kevlar ended up cracking, but I'd love to find a pair of these.  I haven't seen them since I had them.
http://www.sneakerfreaker...ue-140356-141-1large.jpg
Supreme Courts were pretty good, but I've been scouring the web for a good pair of Futures, Resistance, or Resistance II Extras in size 10.5..... anyone???

I've been an Agassi fan since 1989 with the ATC II's, but loved the Huaraches.  The Challenge Futures were a great shoe that I'd love to see retroed.  He never won anything big in those since his wrist surgery was around that time, so those shoes were overshadowed by the Flares in the 1994 US Open.  But the Futures were awesome - they were the only shoe that had each design element I wanted at the time - Huarache upper, innerboot, midfoot strap, and visible air.  Sneakernews did a retrospect on them: http://sneakernews.com/20...h-challenge-future-1993/

But back to Courier - the Supreme Courts were pretty cool, but the version afterwards lost me and I think they killed the series - they had gimmicky ankle straps that didn't do crap.  Air Supreme Focus:
http://www.sneakerfreaker...51-140307-150-1large.jpg
But when the Air Resistance came out, I was back in:
http://www.sneakerfreaker...41-140317-131-1large.jpg
They were comfortable and durable, and had a good ad campaign to back them up.  I played plenty of tennis but didn't take advantage of the 6-month warrantee.  I went back to the Challenge line for the LWPs and Alarms, but just before I started college, the Resistance II Extra came out and I swapped back in again.  The regular Resistance II's were a bit too abrasive to me, but the Extras brought the comfort back, and they lasted a while too.  The Kevlar ended up cracking, but I'd love to find a pair of these.  I haven't seen them since I had them.
http://www.sneakerfreaker...ue-140356-141-1large.jpg
Supreme Courts were pretty good, but I've been scouring the web for a good pair of Futures, Resistance, or Resistance II Extras in size 10.5..... anyone???

^^^
Don't remember owning the second Courier you mentioned, but I do remember the incorporation of the ankle strap a la the jordan 8.  I didn't like the look of that shoe as much and it didn't seem nearly as durable.  Then the resistance came along, and that baby was a beast!  Courier was a notorious toe dragger so he needed some extra help there.

I like the Huarache future a ton. I wanna say I had one if not two pair I beat to holy ^#&*.  All of these I pretty much had at one point or another or knew of people who loved them and rocked them to death.  Little did I know at the time that I would look back on them so fondly and wish I had grabbed many more to stow away for 2011.

^^^
Don't remember owning the second Courier you mentioned, but I do remember the incorporation of the ankle strap a la the jordan 8.  I didn't like the look of that shoe as much and it didn't seem nearly as durable.  Then the resistance came along, and that baby was a beast!  Courier was a notorious toe dragger so he needed some extra help there.

I like the Huarache future a ton. I wanna say I had one if not two pair I beat to holy ^#&*.  All of these I pretty much had at one point or another or knew of people who loved them and rocked them to death.  Little did I know at the time that I would look back on them so fondly and wish I had grabbed many more to stow away for 2011.

Gotta admit, I was never a huge fan of the Challenge Future. I had the Challenge Huaraches, which were my first pair of Huaraches... those were awesome. Huarache was such a unique concept at that time, plus the comfort. Then came the Futures, which were similar, but didn't have enough color to it. And the fact that, as phreakposite mentioned, his wrist injury during that time didn't help.

Gotta admit, I was never a huge fan of the Challenge Future. I had the Challenge Huaraches, which were my first pair of Huaraches... those were awesome. Huarache was such a unique concept at that time, plus the comfort. Then came the Futures, which were similar, but didn't have enough color to it. And the fact that, as phreakposite mentioned, his wrist injury during that time didn't help.

I know this is nuts, but if Nike retroed 3-4 of the shoes on that catalog that SinnerP posted, I would probably cop multiples and "retire" from the game.

Just such a great shoe period, especially for NIKE Tennis.  Couriers are pretty slept on and overshadowed by Agassis, but they were the truth.

I know this is nuts, but if Nike retroed 3-4 of the shoes on that catalog that SinnerP posted, I would probably cop multiples and "retire" from the game.

Just such a great shoe period, especially for NIKE Tennis.  Couriers are pretty slept on and overshadowed by Agassis, but they were the truth.

I agree wholeheartedly with the two comments above. Hopefully the ATC's involvement in the new Yeezy can kick start a love of old tennis shoes

Well we can hope anyway!!!!!!!

I agree wholeheartedly with the two comments above. Hopefully the ATC's involvement in the new Yeezy can kick start a love of old tennis shoes

Well we can hope anyway!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Bryscooplaygrifhold

Haha, but the thing is, you wouldn't be able to play in them... at least, I wouldn't.  I tried playing in my ATC II's... big mistake.  I started getting foot problems after a few hours of play.  Maybe it was just me and maybe it was a coincidence, but I'd stick with tennis performance shoes... 

Originally Posted by Bryscooplaygrifhold

Haha, but the thing is, you wouldn't be able to play in them... at least, I wouldn't.  I tried playing in my ATC II's... big mistake.  I started getting foot problems after a few hours of play.  Maybe it was just me and maybe it was a coincidence, but I'd stick with tennis performance shoes... 

Back
Top Bottom