JOELL ORTIZ SPEAKS...... "IOVINE DON'T WANT ME ON AFTERMATH"

i got respect for Joell Ortiz he dont get that much rec but i got much respect for dude

What these dudes dont understand is what they think has the best opportunity to sell aint selling. Joell Ortiz dropped an independent album on Koch that aint sell that much less than that Shop Boyz +*%@. What did Hurricane Chris sell? These N's aint sellin...Jimmy Iovine should step back and let Dre do what he visioned for Joell when he did all that to signed him. Jimmy wouldnt be +*%@ on the hiphop scene if not for Dre, and since obviously Dre whats he's doing more than Jimmy, he need to step back let him do what he do...
Didn't Shop Boyz do like 200k+? If Joell Ortiz did that on Koch dude needs to keep gettin' that Koch money because he may never see arelease date on Aftermath. Jimmy is banking on what has been selling recently. The whole snap/club era was sellin' decently 2 years ago. He's stilltrying to cash in on it. Joell Ortiz isn't gonna sell and never will. Its just the state of the industry. You're fooling yourself if you thinkotherwise. Timbaland has 4 hit singles all go number 1 or close and isn't at million copies sold? Puff ain't sell a million copies after Last Night?You trying to tell me Joell Ortiz will sell records?

I totally agree with Nako.

I know who duke is, but I've never, EVER heard a JO track. Or a verse for that matter.

And I listen to all types of music. Underground, mainstream, r&b, hip-hop, what have you.

But I guess dudes like JO will fall through the cracks with me b/c I do NOT listen to the radio and I barely watch music videos. I also very rarely cop/listento mixtapes so that's another avenue that's closed for me to hear a dude like him.

Like Nako said, maybe dude isn't as hot as ya'll think.

I mean, this post alone generated HOW many replies before ending up on page 6 (where I found it)?

But I guess dudes like JO will fall through the cracks with me b/c I do NOT listen to the radio and I barely watch music videos. I also very rarely cop/listen to mixtapes so that's another avenue that's closed for me to hear a dude like him.
laugh.gif
If you dont listen to radio(where you will rarely hear JOanyway) and mixtapes exactly where do you expect to hear him??? BET wont play his vids anymore and if you get ya music from the internet you must be avoidingJO and cmon be real threads fade away this 1 ran its course

smokin.gif

laugh.gif

That's the point I was trying to make. I don't listen to the radio and I don't really cop mixtapes but yet I'm pretty current with most ofwhat's out there. I mean, I prefer hearing stuff like Red, Sean P, Little Brother, AZ, Scarface, Talib, Hi-Tek, etc... And those are dudes who don'texactly get the most spins (if at all!) on radio or promo in XXL/Sauce.

I guess JO is a bit more underground than those I listed.

It's funny though... I'm a big 50/Em fan too. And you would think that having this JO dude on their label would get someone like me to at least givehim a listen. I mean, I have a Spider Loc mixtape somewhere mainly due to his G-Unit co-signment.

SPIDER LOC!!
laugh.gif

So the point again is, maybe this dude just ain't that hot.

I'ma check out some stuff from him though and see if ya'll are right on this one.

Man I see what you saying but having a Spider Loc mixtape if far from being up on dudes with no promo with TALENT, you shoulda said Stat Quo or BobbyCreekwater. JO is not aligned with Curtis or Em really at all its more Aftermath and we all know Dre only talks about Em.

JO doesn't get any promo if any this i something that I even noticed but dude is nice its just he's not mainstream hot. Its funny cuz you ever caughthis 1 appearance on Rap City or heard late night DJs bug him up you might be intrigued to hear dude, sometimes it helps. Its not even about that so much nowyou do know about him cuz of this thread so how about you give him a listen n decide for yaself? The Brick: Bodega Chronichles is out now

smokin.gif

Interscope is looking for that new em,50,dre,pac and I hate to say it but joell isn't that and lets not act like this is something new with intersope,lookat their history as a company.

Originally Posted by rocyaice

What these dudes dont understand is what they think has the best opportunity to sell aint selling. Joell Ortiz dropped an independent album on Koch that aint sell that much less than that Shop Boyz +*%@. What did Hurricane Chris sell? These N's aint sellin...Jimmy Iovine should step back and let Dre do what he visioned for Joell when he did all that to signed him. Jimmy wouldnt be +*%@ on the hiphop scene if not for Dre, and since obviously Dre whats he's doing more than Jimmy, he need to step back let him do what he do...
Didn't Shop Boyz do like 200k+? If Joell Ortiz did that on Koch dude needs to keep gettin' that Koch money because he may never see a release date on Aftermath. Jimmy is banking on what has been selling recently. The whole snap/club era was sellin' decently 2 years ago. He's still trying to cash in on it. Joell Ortiz isn't gonna sell and never will. Its just the state of the industry. You're fooling yourself if you think otherwise. Timbaland has 4 hit singles all go number 1 or close and isn't at million copies sold? Puff ain't sell a million copies after Last Night? You trying to tell me Joell Ortiz will sell records?

If every record exec had this stupid mindset people like Lupe Fiasco, The Roots, Outkast would never have deals. you can't just continue to bank on onecertain sound, look at Def Jam for example they have Ghostface, the have Rihanna, they have Ne-Yo they have Fab, they have Jeezy, they have Nas all of whomappeal to different audiences... some sell more than others but that doens't mean a label should stick to a certain pattern. NO record label would surviveif they just signed ringtone artists because there's no stability with those type of rappers, you need cats like Jay that will always be consistant or aGhostface that might sell low but your garuanteed 200K whenever his album drops. Who would have thought Keyshia Cole who only did 112K first week on her firstalbum would end up going platinum and selling 350K+ first week on her 2nd album, same with Robin Thicke, same with Chamillionaire... If Joell can sell 20K witha mixtape and you got cats like The Duffle Bag Boyz with a HIT single only at 40K then that should show there's potential for growth. The basic principleof "investing" is diversity.... you can't have a portfolio and have all your money in one stock just like you shouldn't have all your moneyin 1 type of artist, thats the whole point of a business to take risks if you not willing to take a loss you'll never get a gain.

i wish joell would of just stayed at koch. after 50 went on iovine he dont want another street duke on roster.

No matter what tho rap dollars will never be what they were in the 90s the game is over saturated and the download game is at a all time high and will get evenhigher.

good
Exactly. I don't want to hear an Interscope, Aftermath influenced album from dude anyway. You know how they do. Let duke breath on anotherlabel. He's not going Plat anyway. At least make a good album & not some crossover attempt like Aftermath does on the reg. He will end up sounding likea fat Fab with all types of joints for the ladies. And you know Fab's legacy is a joke with all the BS albums he's dropped (don't lie to yourself,it's true).

i dont see how you drop a e.p. album from Ca$his and not put out nothing from Joell Ortiz......i dont see that whole circle doing nothing big anytime soon. 50aint #1 no more. Dre taking too damn long to drop Rehab. ain't really heard nothing from Eminem in a minute. what happened to D12?..G-unit is wack down tothe clothes. what happened to M.O.P., Mase??...Yayo going to court for touching lil boys.... Banks is somewhere lifting weights trying to get big like 50 so hecan change his image last i heard. Prodigy bout to do 3 years in the bing and got punched in the face by Saigon...sup with Spider Loc?..who's still onAftermath?..Busta Rhymez??? yea, like we expecting another album from him..lol,.....Eve is back on ruff riders, The Game is gone, wish i could have heard Rakimon some dre beats. I havent heard any songs lately that Dre produced, someone correct me if im wrong. Ilovine is idiot.

Originally Posted by iLLscan

Exactly. I don't want to hear an Interscope, Aftermath influenced album from dude anyway. You know how they do. Let duke breath on another label. He's not going Plat anyway. At least make a good album & not some crossover attempt like Aftermath does on the reg. He will end up sounding like a fat Fab with all types of joints for the ladies. And you know Fab's legacy is a joke with all the BS albums he's dropped (don't lie to yourself, it's true).
TRUTH. I'll never understand why these dudes reach for those pipedreams at huge labels. I mean, JO has to know himself and his music--itisn't going to appeal to a mainstream audience. When you sign at one of those major labels and you're a new artist in the game, you gotta be preparedto sell your soul. Personally, I don't want to hear that, because it just wouldn't sound right.

And when are people going to realize that Dr. Dre isn't the solution to everything?

Originally Posted by iLLscan

Exactly. I don't want to hear an Interscope, Aftermath influenced album from dude anyway. You know how they do. Let duke breath on another label. He's not going Plat anyway. At least make a good album & not some crossover attempt like Aftermath does on the reg. He will end up sounding like a fat Fab with all types of joints for the ladies. And you know Fab's legacy is a joke with all the BS albums he's dropped (don't lie to yourself, it's true).

Real Talk! I really can't stand when a dude with lyrical skill like Ortiz tries to do the Pop Hop thing.It's not a right fit and will make him seem wack.

I came in this thread heard what Joel had to say and bounced because I already knew how it would turn out
smh.gif

Ez and Nay hit the nail right on the head, execs need to stop looking for the next gimmick they have all run their course. Its time to actually develope andput stock into ARTIST. I'm not saying you have to give him a million dollar budget or anywhere near that, thats one of the major set backs for an artistright there. Your set up for failure with such a huge budget because there is too much pressure to re-cuop all of that money spent. JO is Nice... its a 95%chance he's Nicer than you're favorite up and coming HipHop artist. Honestly, anyone who considers themselves a fan of hiphop who hasn't given himan honest listen is doing themselves an injustice.

So after this thread, I went out and copped "Brick Bodega" (a mixtape I guess?) and I'll be honest. He not bad. He's not bad at all.

But on a full listen, I can tell why I've never heard this dude's music before.

Back
Top Bottom