Jordan 16.5 LENGTHY review

Jordan 16.5

My annual Christmas shoe purchase this year came down to three shoes: Lebron VII, Jordan 16.5, and lastyear's CP3.II. Sorry, no adidas yet, still holding out for the Supernaturals to hit over the U.S. (I still hate you Nene). Since the Lebron's are still$160 (and I haven't really liked the feel of any Air Max since the Elite in 2002), and the CP3's are hard to find in the colors I thought looked good,I picked the 16.5, blk/red. Ever since the pictures of these released, I have loved the looks and performance potential. This is the firs Jordan I have thoughtof purchasing since the white/blk/red XXI, retro's and all. For some reason, none of the recent remix/fusion/numbered appealed that much to me, and I am anold school Jordan head. I played for 3 hours last night, total of 9 full-court to 15, win by 2 games. I bought these at Finish Line and drove straight to thegym, so there was NO break-in time wearing around the house or office. Here we go:

The first thing I noticed, probably like everyone else, was the patent toe cap. I am really not a fan ofJordan patent, as it seems stiff and uncompromising for playing in, especially in flex points like across the tops of the toes. These were no different, as thetoe flexed right in off the Jumpman logo's feet and pushed down into the tops of my toes. This made the shoe extremely stiff during warm-ups and the firsttwo games. However, a deep crease developed through the course of the night and the flexibility gradually increased, providing for a very natural toe-off andstep into jump shots. It provided a level of support to lateral movements and I know it should not stretch out over time. My only fear now is that over timethe crease will deepen and eventually rip, but we will see. Personally, I like creases in shoes; they tend to fit better.

Support and fit over the rest of the shoe is very good, bordering on excellent. These fit A LOT like the XXI.They are wider through the forefoot and toe box, but can be cinched up tight for a better fit. There are wider lace holes (obvious from the 17 influence) toallow for a custom fit, but for the first night I stayed as is. The metal lace loops and oval laces tend to loosen over the course of a game or two, but no bigdeal to just pull a little tighter and go. However, the source of my greatest problem occurs in the lacing system. There is a hidden eye-stay, like theHyperdunk, between the foot and ankle collar. This loop rubbed me absolutely raw, to blister status, after about an hour and a half. I changed into thickerNike Elite socks from an old pair of NBA no shows, but the problem was still there. I unlaced the shoe from the loop and went with just the standard eyelets,but the fit along the heel and ankle noticeably suffered. I am extremely hopeful that this situation goes away after a couple of more game nights, or I mayneed to play with the other variable lacing options to try to compromise the fit around the heel.

Cushioning comes in the form of a large (at least it feels that way) forefoot Zoom unit and I believe the sameblow-molded Air unit found in the XVII, because this shoe feels so much like that one in the cushion dept. it is scary. Not a bad thing, as I found that shoeto have an excellent implementation of forefoot Zoom. I never felt any impact jarring and found myself constantly on my toes on defense and running throughpicks for jumpers. The insole is semi-flat, not like the early Jordan models III, IV, and V, but more like the TS Commander or Zoom Generation, a little insteprise but no pronounced arch. Extremely comfortable. The tongue is not an inner bootie, but does have extended bands from the arch to the ball, and there wereno chafing issues with any stitching anywhere internally. Traction is greatness, again like the XVII, and the translucent outsole really contributes to thelooks, but rarely touches the floor, so mine stayed pretty clean. Maybe I can keep them from yellowing for a little while.

The details on this shoe are also a positive, from the semi-translucent midsole wrap on the heel Air unit, tothe Jordan printed under the translucent outsole, to the quilted tongue overlay. The shoe is very well-ventilated by the mesh side panels. I noticed when Ichanged socks that the ones I wore to start were barely wet, just a little under the toes. It felt extremely smooth after the toe broke in while running and Inever felt any fight or pull from the shoe. No slap the floor feeling, even though it does have a bulky look on the foot.

Overall, I put this shoe in a level under the Zoom BB and Kobe IV, on par with my T-Mac 6, Zoom Flight Kidd,and Jordan XXI. Not a top all-time, but a definite step in the right direction for the .5 series. If all Jordan's can keep this up, I just may be are-convert.

Great review as always duke I was thinking of picking up a pair of the 16.5's as well they definitely don't look as bad as past fusions. I'll haveto consider adding these to my basketball rotation maybe when price goes down a bit haha.

JJ, I got mine for $80 from Finish Line. They were marked to $100 and I had a $20 customer appreciation. They will let you use those and the $10 off $60 onJordan's if they are on sale.

Hardaway, I will probably not be getting them until February. Kind of blew my budget the last couple months for shoes. But I do plan on having them. I lovedlast year's (matter of fact, that is what I just blew the money on - Eastbay has them for $99, picked up 3 more pair).

very solid review, thanks duke. i have hooped in my 16.5 but i def did not get the rubbing issue that you are experiencing. been trying to find a reason whyyou would be but it may just be the way the shoe fits me.

Thanks for the review man, overall what struck me the most is you rated it a step under zoom bb which is one of my all time favorite balling shoes plus my faveJordan is the 16's, i really plan on copping one when the price is right

I8, I am sure it is just the way my foot fits the shoe, aas I had almost the same problem with the Hyperdunks. I just changed the lacing last night, wentthrough the wider lace holes, and only went through the outside hidden eyestay, skipped the inside one, and they felt tons better. Played three games lastnight and there was no noticeable irritation and fit was still good.

The only reason it is below the Zoom BB is I love the feel of the full Zoom as opposed to heel Air, and the fit of the Zoom is a bit better, but it is not abad shoe at all. Very good, really.

Great Reveiw! I'm seriously considering picking up a pair now... i've been looking
at them for awhile, but i just haven't pulled the trigger.

thanks

i heavily considered the 16.5 but i ended up going with the lebron 7s....and ive been extremely happy with those, so these will have to wait.

Thanks for the reviews. I was considerin these to replace my Pippens but was weary of the toe box area bein too wide as w/ the B'Loyals. I guess I'llhave to look for another pair of decent hoop sneakers. Narrow feet ftl
smh.gif

great review; I also plan on scooping up a pair as soon as I can find somewhere where the price is right.

Duke - Your reviews are always appreciated!  Because of your reviews I always start hunting down the shoe you review.  Thank you for the reviews.

For those who do not have the customer appreciation coupon, try googling "Finishline coupons".  Look for the link to definitivedeals.  There you will find a 15% off coupon that I think you can use with the Jordans that are on sale.  I know they might charge shipping but you can always try a store pick up.

awesome review..i always take a second look at these everytime im in the mall.. might breakdown and get them.

Back
Top Bottom