Jordan III REIMAGINED “White Cement” -March 11th 2023

He’s actually right. Pop culture isn’t just little white girls in the suburbs. Sneakers have always been popular amongst the general population. Especially Jordans. Now did more white people and hispanics than usual start hopping on the sneaker hype train out of nowhere in recent years and driving up the price and limited your chances of getting shoes? Hell yes lol. You can thank social media for that. It made the og sneaker culture more visible and it’s become something totally different. But please don’t let that have you thinking that sneakers weren’t a part of pop culture in the 80’s and 90’s because they most definitely were.
You also should mention the point that reselling sneakers is now easier than ever with services like StockX, GOAT, and even the new-ish eBay authentication service… Resale was like a free-for-all on eBay (with people doing virtual LCs) and in person meetups (via Craigslist, etc.) prior to the rise of these services. A lot of kids got into sneakers because of the ability to make money off of resell. I’m not defending online reselling by the way just noting how it had a major role in the interest into sneaker culture over the past few years. Same thing also happened to other collectibles like watches and even LEGO sets.

88450203-06FA-4AEF-8CEC-DA075E51986F.jpeg

This is plain wrong too. Yes, they do make some shoes more limited, but they ain’t selling 500k pairs of most shoes on NDC. This wasn’t a limited shoe.

What Nike is good at is convincing people it was just tough luck cause it was a very desired release due to the history, nostalgia… it’s all horse ****. It breeds the hype so they don’t have to spend money marketing their highest selling products, while making it incredibly hard for the highest produced shoes to even get in the hands of consumers.

I’m not even arguing they need to change. They don’t need to do anything when they have everyone captive a dozen years after they figured out what they could do. Once StockX and GOAT cemented a “legitimate” marketplace and it wasn’t just NT classifieds and eBay, CL… well it made it that much easier for the shadow middlemen to hoard inventory while the myth drives it all in a cycle of $10 increases, normalized by 50% markup on GR’s as soon as you strike out 30 times! Nike is killing it. All of us still doing this are loser sheep.
In relation to the demand, it was clearly somewhat limited. They do it a lot, it's not new. Then they'll make 2x the demand of something like a Silver Bullet am97 and they sit for months until they hit discount/outlets. Nike wants the hype. They want some things to sell out.

thinking should i just cop a couple of the size 7 or sos and then flip them once its totally OOS to try to get a resale pair of 10.5s :emoji_thinking:

I wonder if this deliberate yellow is gonna darken even more than the naturally aged pairs. Like, in 10 years is the yellow gonna be Imperial IPA ?

You also should mention the point that reselling sneakers is now easier than ever with services like StockX, GOAT, and even the new-ish eBay authentication service… Resale was like a free-for-all on eBay (with people doing virtual LCs) and in person meetups (via Craigslist, etc.) prior to the rise of these services. A lot of kids got into sneakers because of the ability to make money off of resell. I’m not defending online reselling by the way just noting how it had a major role in the interest into sneaker culture over the past few years. Same thing also happened to other collectibles like watches and even LEGO sets.
All true. And the biggest driving force behind all of that is social media because people are followers and wanna do what they see other people do. So many people out there now with failing reselling businesses and hustles because they really don’t understand the game and just copying what the see online. I understand and respect what the game has turned into but a lot of us on here been doing this before we even knew what the internet was so perspectives are very different. Just today at the barbershop I found out my barber has recently started to try and resell and couldn’t understand why the WC 3’s are more popular than the UNC 5’s because he feels the 5’s look better. He has a bunch of the 5’s he’s having a hard time getting rid of. He’s 35 so it’s not just kids doing this foolishness lmao.

Back
Top Bottom