Julius Hodge,Chris Thomas,Scooter Sherril... WHERE ARE THEY NOW?

MIKE LOWERY

formerly chuck finster
The Jules from Harlem is no longer on his way to stardom
laugh.gif

I thought he might actually Luke Jackson his way through the league but I guess he couldn't catch on.

Where is Julius Hodge? I saw him on Fulton St. a few years back after he got shot.

Not a fan of google?

Hodge: On December 21, 2007, he signed with an Australian NBL (basketball) team Adelaide 36ers. The 201cm recruit has flown from Italy, where he has finished acontract with Italian Serie A team Legea Scafati, to New York, and arrived at Adelaide on Sunday morning, December 23. Hodge has been brought in to replace theoutgoing Mike Chappell, and although unlikely to see big minutes in his first match, the American should prove a good fit in Phil Smyth's line-up.[7]

Thomas: Thomas is currently playing for Polaris World Murcia in Spain.

Originally Posted by K8be wan Kenobi

remember when Chris Paul punched Julius hodge in the balls?

i still scratch my head about that, why the hell did chris do that for? seems so unlike his character
smh.gif

roll.gif
You don't know CP..

I dont remember if it was Hodge or not who got hit (it may have been the crowd tauntung too), but who ever it was, they said something about Paul'sgrandfather who just died.

Ju Hodge and the crowd said something about CP's grandfather....CP dirty anyway, that's how them Winston boys do.....

Scooter Sherril was aiight, but he was over hyped coming out of West Rowan....He was getting off in HS though...

Chris Thomas was a BUM n' couldnt shoot for !#$%!!!!

Chris Thomas was one of those rare dudes who's stock went down the longer he stayed in college.

I wanna know where my dude Donnell Harvey is, and why a team still hasn't looked at Amara Sy on at least a 10 day basis, and Mike Gansey needs to be in theNBA right now too. He'd do better than Luke Jackson who is really pissing me off, because I know he's good but he just....something, I don't knowhe ain't able to show it.

remember when Chris Paul punched Julius hodge in the balls?

i still scratch my head about that, why the hell did chris do that for? seems so unlike his character
cp3 has a mean streak like few others in the nba.

Chris Thomas was so overrated.
no.
Chris Thomas was one of those rare dudes who's stock went down the longer he stayed in college.

pretty much. chris thomas as a freshman > chris thomas as a senior.

add Loney Baxter

is he still in Israel? Is he goin back to the L soon? feel lik he has been brought up like 1000x, i just want an update

Theres so many High School all-americans who are hyped outta high school and then after decent college careers just fall off the map....Pretty much the whole2000 high school class has dissapeared from the face of the earth except for a few players....rolando howell, d-miles, omar cook, taliek brown, omar israel,andre barett, darius rice, neil fingleton ( never really figured out why he was an all american ), Garner Meads, Scooter was in this class as well....whoelse....big guy who went to mizzou ( name? ) that class has to be one of the most dissapointing in a long while, there are more i just cant think of any rightnow....

The Holy trinity of NYC PG'S

Dre da point, Omar and 'lik......

Im still mad at 'O for leaving St. Johns early.....He got some terrible advice...

Deshwn Stevenson was in that HS Class as well...

.Pretty much the whole 2000 high school class has dissapeared from the face of the earth except for a few players....rolando howell, d-miles, omar cook, taliek brown, omar israel, andre barett, darius rice, neil fingleton
roll.gif
Neil Fingleton sighting. Did anyone actually think hewould ball in the league?

Right up there with Tobey Bailey.

I got one. Joe Forte. I was younger when I saw him play but I always thought he was suppposed to be pretty good. Correct me if im wrong

I never believed in Joe. I always thought his jumper was just so damn slow.

Now Darius Rice, I thought that dude was going to be the next Shard or something. Maybe you can google "Darius Rice China" and find it, butthere's a great article about how when he was in China and got invited to the Mavs summer league, he had to try to sneak out of the hotel to the airportand tricked the people at the front desk into giving him his safe deposit box and payed off the cab driver who knew he wasn't supposed to be leaving thecountry and he tricked the cab driver too by giving him the box implying there was money in it and telling them not to open it or something then they calledthe cab from the hotel once they fouind out they had been scammed. He said he thought they were going to kill him.

Still, Mike Gansey and Kevin Pittsnogle need to be in the NBA.

Jackie Manuel needs to be on a team somewhere as some team's designated stopper.

Some more guys who just stayed in college too long are Jawad Williams and Curtis Sumpter.

Now Darius Rice, I thought that dude was going to be the next Shard or something. Maybe you can google "Darius Rice China" and find it, but there's a great article about how when he was in China and got invited to the Mavs summer league, he had to try to sneak out of the hotel to the airport and tricked the people at the front desk into giving him his safe deposit box and payed off the cab driver who knew he wasn't supposed to be leaving the country and he tricked the cab driver too by giving him the box implying there was money in it and telling them not to open it or something then they called the cab from the hotel once they fouind out they had been scammed. He said he thought they were going to kill him.
sounds like a pretty crazy story. i was just gonna ask about the dude

Tough road back to NBA for Darius Rice

His chance in China became a nightmare.

By Ira Winderman
Staff Writer

October 7, 2005

It was late, dark, thousands of miles from home, and Darius Rice, amid all the confusion and everything that was being lost in the translation, sat in the backseat of a hired car with a sense he was being followed.

The former University of Miami standout had arrived weeks earlier, in the Shandong province of China, seeking the type of basketball riches that had provenunattainable back home.

He had been embraced upon his arrival, marveled upon as he hit shot after shot for the local professional basketball team. The money was good. The game wasfun.

Ultimately, it proved too good to be true.

Instead of finding a possible route to the NBA through China, Rice found himself trying to escape "the scariest experience I ever had."

He tells his tale now at AmericanAirlines Arena, as he prepares for another session at Heat training camp.

In body, he finally is where he wants to be, with hope of an NBA career.

But he can't shake where he had been during those four weeks in June.

Security officers, he said, left him feeling like a hostage in his hotel room. His passport was seized. He was denied access to cash in his safe-deposit box.Only after slipping by the sleeping guard outside his door would he begin an escape on that daring late-night passage that would take him through Hong Kong andback home.

HOOP HOPE

When he arrived weeks earlier to the eastern seaboard region in China, the city of Qingdao seemed like an oasis to the 22-year-old.

After failing to make an NBA team out of college a year earlier and then getting by on a minor-league salary of $24,000 from a team in Fort Myers, the nephewof NFL legend Jerry Rice was about to cash in.

The pay this time would be $20,000 a month, for two months, enough to replenish the bank account for another stab at the NBA.

The results were, to say the least, encouraging.

In a two-game tryout, he averaged 55 points and 16 rebounds.

But back home, the Dallas Mavericks suddenly were interested, offering a berth on their summer-league roster for a July tryout camp.

They wanted Rice. And Rice wanted the Mavericks.

But his new employer in Qingdao wanted more, claiming a two-month contract was in place.

Rice's adviser, former FBI agent Doug McCary, told Rice nothing had been put into writing.

So the 6-foot-10 Mississippi native went back to his hotel, prepared to take another shot at the NBA, hopeful about the looming tryout with the Mavericks.

He went to the lobby and requested his passport. The request, he said, was denied.

He requested access to his safe-deposit box, to retrieve his own cash. The answer, he said, again was no.

"The owner of the team told them not to give it to me," was Rice's understanding.

So he returned to his room, running up $3,000 in cell phone calls to McCary.

THE BACK STORY

McCary, who works out of Houston with respected NBA agent Tony Dutt, earlier had suspected something wasn't right.

Like Rice, McCary stressed the matter had nothing to do with the Chinese government. Rather, he spoke of a network of overseas agents and middlemen whoseemingly clouded the issue, leaving it murky to this day.

"It started when we were called by a Chinese contact who lived in Canada and said there was an opening and that they were looking for someone like Darius,who could score," McCary said of the late-spring conversation. "I told Darius I wasn't familiar with thestructure, but it was for $20,000 a month, for two months.

"So he goes over there for the tryout and he doesn't make the team, which is odd. But then, he calls and says another team was willing to pay $15,000a month.

"I was an FBI agent for four years, working with the SWAT unit in Jacksonville. Something wasn't smelling right. I was like, `D, I think you ought to come home.' He was saying, `Well it's goodmoney.'

"I said, `I don't even know where you're at. We're talkingyou're in a communist country.' He chose to stay and play for them. He was like an instant success."

Too instant.

"My first game I had 58," Rice said. "Once I had that, there was no wayI could get back without finishing the season."

ON THE RUN

"They ended up holding him hostage in his hotel," McCary said. "I hadto call friends to go in and pick him up. When they went in the first time, they pulled him out of the car and made him stay in the hotel."

Finally, after showing up but refusing to play in his team's third game, Rice said he waited until deep into the night,when the security officer beside his door nodded off. With the night staff at the front desk seemingly unaware of the situation, he struck a deal. He wouldexchange his safe-deposit key for his passport.

The staff obliged, but only after it was clear his cash would secure the arrangement.

However, there would be no cash left behind.

"I stuffed paper into an envelope, filled it up, and put it back, all puffed up," Rice said.

With about $4,000 -- he had not and would not be paid for his play in Qingdao -- he left with another driver McCary hadarranged.

And then the phone rang.

"Eight miles down the road, a call. They told the driver to bring me back," Rice said, those at the hotel seeminglyhaving caught on to his worthless envelope.

Sensing the entire time he was being followed, he knew what he had to do.

The cash he supposedly left behind actually had been stuffed into a container of workout supplements, in an athletic bag. Sohe reached in and began grabbing for bills, paying off the driver to continue on.

All the while, McCary was on the phone. He told Rice not to fly to Shanghai from the regional airport the car was now approaching, but instead to fly to HongKong and return to the States from there.

"It wasn't a happy leaving," Rice said. "I was on the run. I had a couple of good games, and the next thing you know it's the scariestexperience I ever had."

Yet he does not regret the decision, only the outcome.

"Thinking the NBA was going to have a lockout, I was going to go over there and make a few dollars," he said. "Never being in the league, Ididn't really have anything. I was thinking there was going to be a lockout, so might as well get a job over there."

MOVING ON

Rice made it back for that tryout with the Mavericks, arriving with a story that would put every basketball moment before and after into perspective.

"China has some oddities, but I've never heard of that kind of thing happening before," MavericksPresident Donnie Nelson said via e-mail last week. "It's common practice for a team to take a player's passport for processing purposes. In China,where there's more red tape than usual, maybe it took longer.

"I haven't heard of any other U.S. players having any issues like that in China. In fact, China has been surprisinglygood, much better than Europe, regarding paying on time and treating American players well."

Rice said he found the U.S. Embassy of little help, although McCary believes his own contacts there eased the situation. A representative from the AmericanCitizen Services wing of the U.S. Embassy at Beijing said it's office was unaware of the situation, while an e-mail inquiry to the U.S. Consulate atShanghai did not draw a response. An e-mail to the corporation that runs the team Rice applied to also did not draw a response.

For now, it's all about domestic relations for Rice, namely two-a-days at AmericanAirlines Arena.

After making it to that audition for the Mavericks, Rice arranged for a tryout with the Heat in July.

A long shot to make the team, he nonetheless appreciates the opportunity.

"I have nothing now except these," he said, tugging on his T-shirt and a pair of jean shorts. "I have nothingto lose, everything to gain. I don't have anything right now."

Except renewed hope.

"I thank them for giving me the opportunity to be here," he said.

Back
Top Bottom