Jumpers Knee?

I recently have been diagnosed with patellar tendonitis also known as jumpers knee and now i have to walk around with these braces on both legs to see ifhelps. But if it doesnt then i have to move to physical therapy or surgery. So i just wanted to know if anyone has has/had this and how they go about treatingit? thanks

You're absolutely screwed. Nearly all of my friends have this because of volleyball. Luckily I never developed it.
You might wanna buy those tensor straps that go right underneath the kneecap.

you are not absolutely screwed.

what sorts of sports do you play? do you do squats and stuff? definitely go easy for a few months. and if you do do squats... go lighter and focus on form.chances are your form is a little off.

try the lil strap that you place under your kneecap. it can really help when you play sports. you can get it at like sports authority or somethin..

i had patellar tendonitis for a bit. i rested and stopped doing so much weight on my squats. it helped a lot.

you'll be fine.

...a basketball players nightmare...I don't have it but my knees are weak as hell so I know its just a matter of time the way I play in the summer timeoutside and whatnot. One of my friends had/has it and it was the beginning of the end. I don't mean to scare you but when he was cleared to play again, heplayed for a college by the way, he got a good 2 or 3 weeks in and destroyed the cartilage in his left knee. Same happened to one of his teammates so I'mguessing it's serious business.

i was diagnosed with it way back in the day. i rested for 4 months. no running, no jumping, nothing. didn't help. i did physical therapy for 8 months.didn't help. i had surgery and did another 10 months of physical therapy. didnt help. i had another surgery and another 14 months of physical therapy. itwas ok for a while, but it started flaring up again this year and it looks like more physical therapy is in my future.

eek.gif
I need to get my knees checked up. I know its more than likely too late with whatever is wrong with them tho
tired.gif

I think I might get this soon (if I don't have it already).
My knees are always hurting and feeling weak, and
playing basketball and volleyball on the regular
doesn't help at all but it's hard to not play
smh.gif

I'm studying to be a physiotherapist right now and I see this pretty often at the clinic I work at.

Your best bet right now is to rest. You should be icing it too (applying heat also works).

If you really need to heal fast you could try an ultrasound treatment or neuromuscular stimulation.

But once it starts to improve try some light stretching and strengthening exercises.

i stopped hoopin' for a little while when i first got this when i was younger. then i turned my attention to music.

go to a sports med therapist, the best one you can find.

he/she should be able to figure out what it is thats causing the your patellar tendons to hurt. in my case it was the tightness of my IT bands, combined withweak hamstrings, and alignment issues in my back and hips.

if you play sports seriously, by which i mean you play or plan to play it throughout college or professionally, this is the best route. if you just playcasually then dont bother, just use the cho-pat straps (which i found to make it worse tho), a bunch of advil before and after you play, stretch alot, andmaybe some flex-all or a535 or whatever pain relieving gel you might have access to.

The reason i say dont bother if youre just a casual athlete with the physio and everything is it will take months of treatment which will end up costing alotof money if not covered by your medical or your school. Also, its never ever ever gonna get back to 100% and you will be playing with some pain in your kneesno matter what and you just gotta learn to deal with it.

Are you talking about behind your knee? I recently started ballin again and I am way out of shape. I can barely walk now because something on the back of myknee is killing me. Like where you have 2 bones going down on both sides? One of em HURTS. Any ideas what it is?

no i play ball only a couple times a week just fun pick up games, nothing serious. I figured it was serious because they slightest tap on the lower part of myknee causes severe pain. Thanks for the advise nt, so my best bet is to lay off sports? i really hope i can get rid of this sooner or later

I was just diagnosed with tendinitis of the knee. I forgot what part exactly, but my god it hurt to bend my knee even slightly. My doctor gave me some antiinflammatory meds. and told me to give it a rest for a while. been a month and im feeling better but not fully. But I have kept playing soccer so I guess itsmy fault.

i got it on my left knee. The pain goes away eventually but i still have the bump above my knee went away. The brace didnt help me much

Originally Posted by MikeScarn

I'm studying to be a physiotherapist right now and I see this pretty often at the clinic I work at.

Your best bet right now is to rest. You should be icing it too (applying heat also works).

If you really need to heal fast you could try an ultrasound treatment or neuromuscular stimulation.

But once it starts to improve try some light stretching and strengthening exercises.

good physical therapists have the ultrasound treatment machine. i used that thing 3 days a week for 8 months and it didn't help at all.

Back
Top Bottom