Just Graduated & at a Crossroads........

I just graduated from a program from Morehouse College & Auburn University where I got a degree in Applied Physics from Morehouse  & a degree in Industrial Engineering from Auburn.  I am confused at what my next step should be.  My options are:

1) Find a job, which is not very simple still today.  This is a good option but I don't want to be hired for next to nothing then the economy rebounds & I am left making less than someone doing the same work.

2) Law school, sounds weird but one of dad's good friends is a lawyer and told me a/b being a patent attorney.  I didn't take it serious until I saw how many engineers end up going back to school anyway for JDs, MBAs, or a Master's degree.

The biggest problem I see is my family and friends alot of them believe that I can get a great job, get training and just keep getting promoted to a better position with ease.  I am still considering going back to school even after working b/c a bachelor's is close to nothing said to say. 

I am just trying to figure out a timeline and a the best way to get everyone off my back a/b my future.  Any suggestions are welcomed.

I just graduated from a program from Morehouse College & Auburn University where I got a degree in Applied Physics from Morehouse  & a degree in Industrial Engineering from Auburn.  I am confused at what my next step should be.  My options are:

1) Find a job, which is not very simple still today.  This is a good option but I don't want to be hired for next to nothing then the economy rebounds & I am left making less than someone doing the same work.

2) Law school, sounds weird but one of dad's good friends is a lawyer and told me a/b being a patent attorney.  I didn't take it serious until I saw how many engineers end up going back to school anyway for JDs, MBAs, or a Master's degree.

The biggest problem I see is my family and friends alot of them believe that I can get a great job, get training and just keep getting promoted to a better position with ease.  I am still considering going back to school even after working b/c a bachelor's is close to nothing said to say. 

I am just trying to figure out a timeline and a the best way to get everyone off my back a/b my future.  Any suggestions are welcomed.

Take some time off to really figure out what you want
Stack some cash up for now, dont try to rush the process

Take some time off to really figure out what you want
Stack some cash up for now, dont try to rush the process

Applied Physics and Industrial Engineering? Major props.

I think you should have considered your future before you walked across that stage. You probably could have interned somewhere and got a permanent position after graduating. Luckily for you, you chose the right areas of study.

Have you applied to any places so far? Checked out potential graduate schools (classes start next month)?

What are you doing right now to support yourself financially?

I think you should have considered your future before you walked across that stage. You probably could have interned somewhere and got a permanent position after graduating. Luckily for you, you chose the right areas of study.

Have you applied to any places so far? Checked out potential graduate schools (classes start next month)?

Originally Posted by balloonoboy

I did consider my future, but when the recession hit it kind of messed me up.  I interned for BellSouth (now AT&T) and GKN Aerospace. 

I haven't applied to grad school yet b/c I am studying for the LSAT & GMAT since your scores stand for a a few years.

I currently work at a golf course & are staying with my parents till I figure something out.  They are not tripping about it because I help out with buying groceries and fixing things around the home.

Originally Posted by balloonoboy

I did consider my future, but when the recession hit it kind of messed me up.  I interned for BellSouth (now AT&T) and GKN Aerospace. 

I haven't applied to grad school yet b/c I am studying for the LSAT & GMAT since your scores stand for a a few years.

I currently work at a golf course & are staying with my parents till I figure something out.  They are not tripping about it because I help out with buying groceries and fixing things around the home.

Really hard for me to believe you have degrees in Applied Physics and Industrial Engineering and can't find a decent job. I'm an industrial engineering major myself.

Really hard for me to believe you have degrees in Applied Physics and Industrial Engineering and can't find a decent job. I'm an industrial engineering major myself.

How do you have two hard majors and yet didn't manage to land a job? And you're black too? You either didn't apply to anything or have a beyond abysmal GPA.

How do you have two hard majors and yet didn't manage to land a job? And you're black too? You either didn't apply to anything or have a beyond abysmal GPA.

Originally Posted by ATL Candy Man

This is a good option but I don't want to be hired for next to nothing then the economy rebounds & I am left making less than someone doing the same work.

I don't really follow this reasoning. Later on, you can find a higher paying job while working, matter of fact, it's easier to find a job when you already have one.

Also, any experience will put you ahead of the next guy who doesn't have any.

Back
Top Bottom