Just wondering how other people afford this hobby

Hey NT, I have been wondering for awhile now, how a lot of people afford such expensive sneakers. I have what I would call a pretty extensive collection at 205 deep. I'm 29 and a buisness owner and have 1 kid and one on the way not to mention a VERY supportive wife. I buy anywhere from 2-5 pairs a months depending on whats releasing and it adds up pretty quick. I see a lot of the same young faces at campouts and always wonder. How can they afford $150-$250 pairs of shoes every few weeks if I find myself having to calm down every once in awhile. And how do people Like that Mayor guy from youtube afford to get 1500-2000 pairs, if each pair was even $100 thats $150000-$200000 in SHOES.... thats a damn morgage free house in South Fla.

Priorities. Or lack there of.
Some have a side hustle outside of their normal paycheck to cop shoes.
Other's make enough to live comfy and cop hella shoes.

Me on the other hand....I'm a broke *%+$%....

Originally Posted by n20andy

Hey NT, I have been wondering for awhile now, how a lot of people afford such expensive sneakers. I have 1 kid and one on the way.

Welp.  There's your problem.

Sneakers? Want an expensive hobby? Go into the Videography/Photography field.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by theDEEK

laugh.gif

while expensive your not buying a lens/light every single month. while some people buy 3+ pairs every single month.  At least videography/photography can lead to you getting more money from gigs.
Anyways I just started to get back into shoes and it took me 2 jobs.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by theDEEK

laugh.gif

I know someone that does this for a hobby, camera costed $5k, and lenses cost 1.5k each, at least he can make some of it back by taking pictures for people. You're looking to spend like $10k easily to get a decent setup.

I know a couple years ago people would buy two pair of shoes. One to wear and one to flip. Depending on the shoe the flip could cover the cost of both the shoes.

Before i had actual bills my priorities were:
1. shoes

2.everything else.  

Now i am graduated from college my priorities are mortgage, cable, cell phone, gas/electric, car insurance, college loans............................shoes.

But i know for me personally.  I have a good amount of shoes but i am selling older ones and stock piling as many of my "grails" as possible.  I needed white cement IVs so i sold my CDP XII's and my Playoff 8s.  I rarely wore them anyway.

Originally Posted by zk1MPLS

Priorities.

pretty much. A single guy living in a not so expensive apartment, a cheap car thats paid off, can afford to spend money like that on shoes. But if you have kids, a gf.wife, nice car and place or like to travel; all of that sneaker money gets diverted to thsoe things. Unless you are rich

Probably some side hustle or parents money, I doubt any of these regular campers have actual jobs that would allow for them to be out for 3 days straight so they can camp.

Originally Posted by ksteezy

Probably some side hustle or parents money, I doubt any of these regular campers have actual jobs that would allow for them to be out for 3 days straight so they can camp.
Just to play devils advocate, there's this called PTO(paid time off) from work.  We may not use ours for shoes, but some do tho 
tired.gif

I have a separate paypal/ebay account strictly for sneakers. I purchase hot shoes that I dont like but others go crazy for and sell em, use the money in that paypal account to cop the dope #%$# I want. I got 10 pairs of concords, I hate 11s so I sold em all and got myself some dope stuff. (Still looking for DS Red Supreme blazers
nerd.gif
)

Originally Posted by Oh YoU MaD

I have a separate paypal/ebay account strictly for sneakers. I purchase hot shoes that I dont like but others go crazy for and sell em, use the money in that paypal account to cop the dope #%$# I want. I got 10 pairs of concords, I hate 11s so I sold em all and got myself some dope stuff. (Still looking for DS Red Supreme blazers
nerd.gif
)
Talk about dressing up the term reseller 
laugh.gif

If its putting money in your pocket then that's all that matters 

I am sure a lot of the younger dudes have hook-ups so they get discounts. I know when I was younger I knew a lot people who worked in shoe stores.

Use to spend a good $500-600 every month of my own money on kicks. Then about 2 years ago I was looking at all my receipts and noticed that I wasted 6-10k a year on kicks
30t6p3b.gif
I had to cut it short. Still pick up things I want but now I just get 4 pairs of the limited things I want. Keep 2 and sell the other 2. Put the cash in my sneaker account and we are good to go. 2 pairs of something limited usually pays for about 5-6 pairs of regular things I want.

Originally Posted by Da R Entertainment

Originally Posted by ksteezy

Just to play devils advocate, there's this called PTO(paid time off) from work.  We may not use ours for shoes, but some do tho 
tired.gif

That's crazy....effff a vacatiOn or time off with the fam, who needs that!?

I don't keep more than 10 pairs of sneakers in my house; staring at sneakers I don't wear doesn't do it for me

ksteezy wrote:

ksteezy wrote:
tired.gif

I would never use my vacation time to camp out for sneakers. Thats just insane. 

Originally Posted by jhobson5

ksteezy wrote:

tired.gif

I would never use my vacation time to camp out for sneakers. Thats just insane. 

I believe the steeze was being sarcastic 
laugh.gif

Credit.

Can't say that I haven't done this in the past as a young dude, but I learned my lesson.

Back
Top Bottom