Juvenile and school counselors

Any of y'all a professional in either field ? I'm leaning heavily towards this as my major. I want a very rewarding career, something with fulfillment and joy. I'm starting out fresh on the degree, haven't got my associates yet but started. ANY info helps from personal experiences. I've done my reading off of Google. Thanks in advance :smokin

Been in the behavioral health field working with juvies for almost ten years. Stressful, underpaid yet rewarding at the same time. That reward itself keeps me in this field. The longer your in, the more you learn about the politics and how shady the non profit bizz can be.. Good luck bruh ..

Just curious, but are you trying to go down this route as opposed to possibly joining the military? I remember seeing a thread you made about that a while ago.

Do you plan on enrolling next fall or over the summer?

Wayniac211- did u obtain a ba or masters? What state do u reside in?

Agentzero- yea sorta, don't want leave my son for long periods at a time and I'm on probation till August 2015. Those two things kinda prolonged that process. I plan to enroll for call quarter for sure.

I'm in AZ and completed my undergrads in sociology couple years ago. Applying next semester for OT grad program. What's your major??
Being in this field also helps you with your own personal development.
Especially if your an ex knucklehead..

Sociology aswell. OT program?? I feel that, I'm an ex knucklehead.. Lol hence my probation I spoke on. U got any kind of history at all? I hope my past doesn't hold me back ...

I applaud all yall out here trying to help the youth out 4real :pimp: ...yall should get paid more tho :smh:

Sociology aswell. OT program?? I feel that, I'm an ex knucklehead.. Lol hence my probation I spoke on. U got any kind of history at all? I hope my past doesn't hold me back ...

That's wassup.. Occupational therapy.. There's $$ in that field my friend. As for my history, only a few misdemeanors and Juvie past..Had my eldest at 19 so that was a huge game changer.
As long as you don't have an "F" on your record and can attain a fingerprint clearance card, you straight..try group home work for experience.. The overnights are easy and you get a lotta homework done..

Ok koo I only have a few misdemeanors aswell. The one id be the most concerned about is my DV 4. Im going to research that occupational Therapy. Good looking !

4+ years working with juvenile offenders. Measly pay, poor hours, often stressful work. About to make the switch to a more administrative position.

Once you see how far gone most of these kids are and entrenched in the system (and see the crazy recidivism rates), that "rewarding aspect goes out the door pretty quick. Although I do admit it feels good when you hear about even one happy ending.

Last edited:
Been in the behavioral health field working with juvies for almost ten years. Stressful, underpaid yet rewarding at the same time. That reward itself keeps me in this field. The longer your in, the more you learn about the politics and how shady the non profit bizz can be.. Good luck bruh ..
Can you explain about how shaddy non profits are

@ Milestailsprowe

I wasn't a counselor but i was a mentor at one point for a non profit.

Non profit doesn't not mean money is not involved.

It just means there main objective or mission is not to solely make money, like a typical commercial business, but to provide some other type of service with those funds instead of paying dividends etc. .

But there are tons of ppl that create these programs solely for the cashflow opputunities available like grants etc.

You'll be working there for genuine reasons, and the company is really just some rich douche creating some npo just to get a big money grant and pay the staff pennies while never really doing any true work.

They will document photos and small things to look good on paper to satisfy requirements, but in reality you're just there making things look "legit".

Last edited:
You wanna mold our youth ha?

Yea I feel like I owe that to society. I've taken life for granted so far I feel like, I'm just finally getting close to the end of my legal issues I want to try and teach these young ones to take advantage of their teenage years because it builds a better future for adulthood.

4+ years working with juvenile offenders. Measly pay, poor hours, often stressful work. About to make the switch to a more administrative position.

Once you see how far gone most of these kids are and entrenched in the system (and see the crazy recidivism rates), that "rewarding aspect goes out the door pretty quick. Although I do admit it feels good when you hear about even one happy ending.

All of this.

If you're getting into this field to feel good, you're doing it wrong. The system sucks and it sucks seeing young kids get caught up in it.

The turning point for me was when I was working in a 2400 bed prison. I'd see kids from the the juvenile detention facility I worked at 3 years prior come through the prison. They'd be all smiles and daps, like **** was sweet. They took no issue with being adults in prison--and a lot of them took pride in that ****. They were in the big leagues now.

Trust when I say that it's a very grim existence working in any aspect of the justice system where you're face to face with offenders day in and day out. It can change you a lot. I used to be like OP, but years of working in that environment made me very pessimistic. You simply don't get those feel good moments like you thought you would. In fact, you learn that a lot of these kids you're dealing with are straight up fools and are so far gone that nothing you do or say will change their path.

You wanna mold our youth ha?

Yea I feel like I owe that to society. I've taken life for granted so far I feel like, I'm just finally getting close to the end of my legal issues I want to try and teach these young ones to take advantage of their teenage years because it builds a better future for adulthood.

That's good, we need more people that want to do it. What I don't get are those in the social field that pile up on advanced degrees and student loan debt their salary will never recoup.

Last edited:
Been doing the career counselor (basically guidance counselor) thing at Job corps for a nearly 2 years. Next Tuesday is my last day.

Loved the job, especially the kids. The pay isn't great but I made it work. I actually make more than I thought I would and way more than most of my friends back home (Milwaukee,) but I'm lucky. I've kept a part time gig on the side at a residential place just to make extra ends, mostly for shoes, vacationing etc but I could without a doubt survive off my full time alone.

Decided that I was more into the human resources field so decided to make some changes. Gonna do some international work for a while and finally move back home to Milwaukee in July to start an HR program and work. I do already have a masters degree so obviously my pay may reflect that, but I'm 25 and pulled in over 50K last year which aint bad.

All of this.

If you're getting into this field to feel good, you're doing it wrong. The system sucks and it sucks seeing young kids get caught up in it.

The turning point for me was when I was working in a 2400 bed prison. I'd see kids from the the juvenile detention facility I worked at 3 years prior come through the prison. They'd be all smiles and daps, like **** was sweet. They took no issue with being adults in prison--and a lot of them took pride in that ****. They were in the big leagues now.

Trust when I say that it's a very grim existence working in any aspect of the justice system where you're face to face with offenders day in and day out. It can change you a lot. I used to be like OP, but years of working in that environment made me very pessimistic. You simply don't get those feel good moments like you thought you would. In fact, you learn that a lot of these kids you're dealing with are straight up fools and are so far gone that nothing you do or say will change their path.

Seems to be expected.... Can't help everyone...only those who want to change will do so. are u still working in the field ?

Been doing the career counselor (basically guidance counselor) thing at Job corps for a nearly 2 years. Next Tuesday is my last day.

Loved the job, especially the kids. The pay isn't great but I made it work. I actually make more than I thought I would and way more than most of my friends back home (Milwaukee,) but I'm lucky. I've kept a part time gig on the side at a residential place just to make extra ends, mostly for shoes, vacationing etc but I could without a doubt survive off my full time alone.

Decided that I was more into the human resources field so decided to make some changes. Gonna do some international work for a while and finally move back home to Milwaukee in July to start an HR program and work. I do already have a masters degree so obviously my pay may reflect that, but I'm 25 and pulled in over 50K last year which aint bad.

How does one get into doing international work? :nerd:

Back
Top Bottom