Juvenile and school counselors

How does one get into doing international work? :nerd:

Hustle

I went to Case Western for grad school (my technical Masters is Applied Social Science Admin) and got a certificate in Global Health.

Used my network to get my job corps job and used family connects to get some experience in Nigeria.

I'm actually doing a pretty standard Nigerian Program (National Youth Service) this year but it will look banging on my Resume by the time I finish this HR program. If I don't get into HR or dislike the field I will probably always keep some social work/ sociology position in the background. I wouldn't mind one day taking a position with the UN if they'd have me.

Real talk I laugh at a lot of people who think there is no money in social work, I won't front like I haven't seen or heard the horror stories but thus far I have been blessed to make a decent amount and gain great experience. My mom is actually a social worker in WI and pulls in well over 100K a year (but she hustles and started her own business). Trust me man if you're passionate about it, you can accomplish anything.

OP if u really into the school social work or counselor thing, chase it. Its a great position and I thoroughly enjoyed almost every day of it. The only reason I'm giving up my position is because I have pretty big aspirations and I'm not in a city that I see myself living in long term.

All of this.

If you're getting into this field to feel good, you're doing it wrong. The system sucks and it sucks seeing young kids get caught up in it.

The turning point for me was when I was working in a 2400 bed prison. I'd see kids from the the juvenile detention facility I worked at 3 years prior come through the prison. They'd be all smiles and daps, like **** was sweet. They took no issue with being adults in prison--and a lot of them took pride in that ****. They were in the big leagues now.

Trust when I say that it's a very grim existence working in any aspect of the justice system where you're face to face with offenders day in and day out. It can change you a lot. I used to be like OP, but years of working in that environment made me very pessimistic. You simply don't get those feel good moments like you thought you would. In fact, you learn that a lot of these kids you're dealing with are straight up fools and are so far gone that nothing you do or say will change their path.

Seems to be expected.... Can't help everyone...only those who want to change will do so. are u still working in the field ?

Naw, not in the field anymore. Although that could possibly change when I go back to work. I had a spot call me today actually regarding working in a girl's juvenile "treatment center". I'm not even going to bother calling back because for what I'd have to endure there, the pay and 20 mile drive just wouldn't be worth it.

I guess if you're looking to be a school counselor or something like that, it wouldn't be near as much negativity. Just know that should you get into juvenile probation/detention and all that, 90% of the time the kids are too far gone. If you're looking to make a difference, get to the kids when they're only getting into trouble at school. Because once the system gets ahold of them, it's usually a wrap. Kids are already difficult to deal with as teenagers. But take teenagers and add a healthy dose of the IDGAF attitude that is fostered in detention facilities and on the streets where a lot of dudes come from, and they're VERY hard to help.

Just curious, but are you trying to go down this route as opposed to possibly joining the military? I remember seeing a thread you made about that a while ago.

Do you plan on enrolling next fall or over the summer?

Can you explain about how shaddy non profits are
Can you explain about how shaddy non profits are

I hear from caregivers and admin about certain illegal pay raises/kickbacks the top officials get, that run the state behavioral programs. Its shady and it sucks because there are kids out there that need services. There's a lost population out there that deal with unimaginable trauma on a daily.

All of this.

If you're getting into this field to feel good, you're doing it wrong. The system sucks and it sucks seeing young kids get caught up in it.

The turning point for me was when I was working in a 2400 bed prison. I'd see kids from the the juvenile detention facility I worked at 3 years prior come through the prison. They'd be all smiles and daps, like **** was sweet. They took no issue with being adults in prison--and a lot of them took pride in that ****. They were in the big leagues now.

Trust when I say that it's a very grim existence working in any aspect of the justice system where you're face to face with offenders day in and day out. It can change you a lot. I used to be like OP, but years of working in that environment made me very pessimistic. You simply don't get those feel good moments like you thought you would. In fact, you learn that a lot of these kids you're dealing with are straight up fools and are so far gone that nothing you do or say will change their path.
Your post saddens me but do ANY of them realize whats happening early on and how many can be saved?

4+ years working with juvenile offenders. Measly pay, poor hours, often stressful work. About to make the switch to a more administrative position.

Once you see how far gone most of these kids are and entrenched in the system (and see the crazy recidivism rates), that "rewarding aspect goes out the door pretty quick. Although I do admit it feels good when you hear about even one happy ending.
I hear you on the "rewarding aspect going out the window" part. I always think about the small time frame we have to help make a change.. I try my best to plant seeds. Doing too much and forcing change always backfired and they were back in the system.

Hustle

I went to Case Western for grad school (my technical Masters is Applied Social Science Admin) and got a certificate in Global Health.

Used my network to get my job corps job and used family connects to get some experience in Nigeria.

I'm actually doing a pretty standard Nigerian Program (National Youth Service) this year but it will look banging on my Resume by the time I finish this HR program. If I don't get into HR or dislike the field I will probably always keep some social work/ sociology position in the background. I wouldn't mind one day taking a position with the UN if they'd have me.

Real talk I laugh at a lot of people who think there is no money in social work, I won't front like I haven't seen or heard the horror stories but thus far I have been blessed to make a decent amount and gain great experience. My mom is actually a social worker in WI and pulls in well over 100K a year (but she hustles and started her own business). Trust me man if you're passionate about it, you can accomplish anything.

OP if u really into the school social work or counselor thing, chase it. Its a great position and I thoroughly enjoyed almost every day of it. The only reason I'm giving up my position is because I have pretty big aspirations and I'm not in a city that I see myself living in long term.

I hear you on the no $$ part regarding social work and it's divisions. I topped out in 2013 with over 67K. Of course overtime was put but the work was available. You just gotta hustle and network with admin/hr.

All of this.

Your post saddens me but do ANY of them realize whats happening early on and how many can be saved?

Yeah, some do but most of the kids I saw simply graduated to the next level. There's so much more to it than just being "bad" though. It's a family cycle man...pops is locked up, brothers in and out of prison, mom in jail for petty stuff, etc.

Of course not every wayward youth comes from that, but it's often the case. There are mad levels to the ills in our youth and I could go on for days about what I think the issues are. But from what I've seen working with kids and then incarcerated adults, family structure (or lack thereof) is one of the biggest contributing factors to a life of crime.

At my last job I went through the each inmate's life history on a daily basis, as my job was to review each file for possible less-restrictive custody (work release, work camp, other educational facilities, etc.). In doing that, I'd get a look at their family history and more often than not, their families were a mess. No dad in the picture, dad killed mom, mom and dad abandoned the kids, raised by sister or grandparents, orphaned, dad in prison, siblings all locked up, and on and on and on.....I've seen or read it all. And I say all that to go back to your question. Yes, some kids do figure it out. But then they go back to living with chaos and no structure in their lives once they're out of detention. It's like a losing battle man because kids NEED help to grow up right. When all they see around them is folks doing the wrong ****, more than likely they'll follow in those footsteps even though they know better.

That's why I say it's more important to catch kids BEFORE the system swallows them up. It's not ALWAYS too late to get through to a kid after they're in the system. But straight up, the system is designed for them to fail, plain and simple. Probation and parole is a trap, IMO. They're labeled as eff-ups and are known in police circles, even though the potential for good is there. Those labels make it that much harder to turn things around, IMO.

Ok, I'm rambling. :lol: Enough.

I too wanted to do some type of behavioral counseling/youth advocate type job, I have an associate's in criminal justice, want to get a starting position to see how it is but it is hard getting in. get your networking on, that's where I ****ed up.

Naw, not in the field anymore. Although that could possibly change when I go back to work. I had a spot call me today actually regarding working in a girl's juvenile "treatment center". I'm not even going to bother calling back because for what I'd have to endure there, the pay and 20 mile drive just wouldn't be worth it.

I guess if you're looking to be a school counselor or something like that, it wouldn't be near as much negativity. Just know that should you get into juvenile probation/detention and all that, 90% of the time the kids are too far gone. If you're looking to make a difference, get to the kids when they're only getting into trouble at school. Because once the system gets ahold of them, it's usually a wrap. Kids are already difficult to deal with as teenagers. But take teenagers and add a healthy dose of the IDGAF attitude that is fostered in detention facilities and on the streets where a lot of dudes come from, and they're VERY hard to help.
Unless you are absolutely desperate for work, DO NOT take that job. Working with female offenders is 10x worse than males. I think the only plus when working with females as a male is you don't have to do pat/strip searches 
laugh.gif

But female emotions combined with incarceration 
sick.gif

Don't do it bro.

Unless you are absolutely desperate for work, DO NOT take that job. Working with female offenders is 10x worse than males. I think the only plus when working with females as a male is you don't have to do pat/strip searches :lol:

But female emotions combined with incarceration :x

Don't do it bro.

You ain't lying regarding female offenders. Used to work at a co-ed RTC and the female clients were extreme attention seekers towards male staff. Would always have another staff present when intervening with a female due to liability.

Back
Top Bottom