Kanye-Graduation... Vent post I guess

passback

Banned
Prior to the release of this album, I must admit that I was pretty hyped for it, since CD and LR are both amazing albums, especially LR...

Kanye is supposed to set his own musical trends and use his own creativity to make an album, as he did on his previous efforts...

However, on this album all we got was a bunch of trendy@!!!%+#%! that sounds like he was just trying way too hard to fit in with everything else thats beingreleased

Cant Tell Me Nothin: He didnt even use his own drums. Now, thats not a problem, but he went and got DJ TOOMP who is from the south and is very popular inthe south, as well as Jeezy on the ad libs! WHY? Use your own drums, and cut out the ad libs, like you would have done on CD and LR

Then we get a track like Stronger... He tried to start something with this, but fell flat...really flat... It doesnt sound like a Kanye track... The sameguy that brought us singles like Jesus Walks, and Diamonds... Instead of the creativity and thought that those tracks brought out, Stronger sounds like a cheapeffort at Pop success, and not the same creativity we should expect from Kanye's top single. It sounds like garbage they would play at a rave..

Now, Lil Wayne ... In previous efforts Kanye brought us tracks that united rappers like Jay Z and Kweli.... Cam and Consequence... However, on Graduation, weget to hear Lil Wayne's worst verse ever... Yes, even worse than his song to Ciara...
sick.gif
. AND he named the song BARRY BONDS... Who, at the time, was breaking the HRrecord.
tired.gif

What happened to tracks like Roses, Jesus Walks, We Major, All Falls Down, etc etc etc etc...

Everytime I hear or read someone sayin this was a top album of the year, I cant help but feel sick. There are some real nice tracks, but the meat of his albumis trendy, and no where near the creativeness of his first 2 albums.

oh ya...

Bring it on...
laugh.gif

YO! While I appreciate your recognition of LR as a masterpiece but:
Cant Tell Me Nothin: He didnt even use his own drums. Now, thats not a problem, but he went and got DJ TOOMP who is from the south and is very popular in the south, as well as Jeezy on the ad libs! WHY? Use your own drums, and cut out the ad libs, like you would have done on CD and LR
I thought he made wise decision on all of those counts. I agree with you about "Stronger". But the title of "Barry Bonds"seemed hella fitting; and not only that, I loved the approach to the song. This album isn't nearly as good but I liked it. DF!!!

Problem is he blew up on a trend on College Dropout. The sped up samples, heavy drums, and soulful choruses got stale after a while. Then he tried to switchit up and grow musically and sonically with Late Registration, but some of the records were overproduced. Graduation, he went for a bigger 'stadiumstatus' type of sound and was hit or miss. He just needs to find his niche and perfect it, becaue I know he has a classic in him.

LB8

LR, Overproduced?

Interesting...which tracks are you talkin about...

I think the extreme production is what made the album.. Almost every track switchin up towards the end and such..

I realize that all of his 3 albums have completely different sounds and i appreciate and love that. This album was musically superior to most albums last yearexcept for a few tracks.

When it comes to lyrics tho it got worse, I ususally dont worry about his singles(I dislike most) cuz whats on the album is usually better. This wasn'treally the case with this album all the joints didn't make me feel I was listenin to the album yet. The lyrics on most songs leave much to be desired butseeing as dude doesn't write all his rhymes I am no longer expecting much from him. I really don't like Flashing Lights AT ALL beat to lyrics and Iwish he had better features on this. I love I Wonder but it coulda been soooooooo much better.

I wouldnt be surpised if a grip of MCs could do better with these beats and some songs like Barry Bonds and Drunk n Hot Girls shoulda just been instrumentalcuts anyway. There was no direction or theme for this album definetley didn't have the feel of "graduating".

smokin.gif

yeah, after giving it some time and listening to all three again, graduation is mediocre.

however, i honestly can't think of another album last year that might be better.

then again, i don't think i've bought a CD in store since.. speakerboxxx/the love below maybe?

The reason I dont like Graduation as much as his previous two albums is b/c it's very impersonal. Big Brother is a good jam but.. its not Roses, Hey Mama,Through the Wire, etc.
The album to me is real 'scattered,' like he just added a bunch of good songs that dont relate to anything.
Its still a good LP though.

I definitely know what you mean LR = CD > Grad. BUT...Grad is still a helluva LP. The thing is his breakout singles didn't stand up compared to JesusWalks or Goldigger.

graduation was on the top of 07' musically. he cut the skits that he had previously. seems he put this out attacking the album from all angles. i think"the glory" proved that the sped up samples and heavy beats never got old. it covers a diverse style such as you wouldnt expect "flashinglights" to be on the same album as "everything i am". i still cant rank his albums because all were
pimp.gif

i just wish he put something else on it besides "barry bonds", track never grew on me

Then we get a track like Stronger... He tried to start something with this, but fell flat...really flat... It doesnt sound like a Kanye track... The same guy that brought us singles like Jesus Walks, and Diamonds... Instead of the creativity and thought that those tracks brought out, Stronger sounds like a cheap effort at Pop success, and not the same creativity we should expect from Kanye's top single. It sounds like garbage they would play at a rave..
aite but its fire... sure it doesnt have a message a la jesus walks and diamonds, but its still way left of everything else on the radio rightnow... i mean it even got mad play in texas, a region where soulja boy and hurricane chris dominate the airtime... if anything, kanye exposed daft punk to themajority of music listeners in america who before him had no idea how sick that%+@$ is, so even though there wasnt much of a message, it opened doorways from amusical perspective... production was top notch and the video paid homage to one of the best anime movies of all time... the other day my N even playedSomething About Us in his whip like "son u heard this? thesse dudes is nice"
laugh.gif

Barry Bonds and Homecoming stopped me from liking the album as much as I could.

I honestly expected more from Kanye. Most peoples arguments are that he evolved musically, but album of the year? Maybe I judge an album too much on the waythe tracks flow together, and whether or not I wanna skip tracks. 7.5/10 to me, and that's because songs like Big Brother, Flashing Lights, and I Wonderstand out so much, and the rest are either solid tracks, or suck.

there were def a few weak tracks on it. i loved stronger when i first heard it tho, still do. doesnt get my vote for album of the year tho. it was prettymuch what i expected from kanye, his whole sound has changed from his first albums. like dude said, more trendy.

I enjoyed the CD a lot. The only problem was Lil Wayne. Dude was the epitome of basura dipped in camel diarreah.

ew

Graduation was a mediocre album. I feel like Kanye "dumbed it down" on this album.

IMO I believe the threadstarter is missing the creativity on this album. Why do you want Kanyes sound to be same? Should it not evolve....the evolution of hissound and him trying new things IS CREATIVE. I just think this is the problem with many hip-hop fans....they just want the genre to just stay in a box anddon't appreciate when certain artists grow musically.

There was no direction or theme for this album definetley didn't have the feel of "graduating".
Yea i was expecting the same thing and the same formula too. Some skits one about paying back you student loans or something in that direction,tracks with GLC, Consequence, John Legend and Jay-z and the one dude who is on the first track on cd and lr

i thought the album was great, the only thing that i was fustrated about was that he diddnt really step up his game, it was more of a side-step instead of astep foward/or backward.

but the hype was
indifferent.gif
sick.gif

Originally Posted by FlatbushFiyah23

Why do you want Kanyes sound to be same? Should it not evolve....the evolution of his sound and him trying new things IS CREATIVE. I just think this is the problem with many hip-hop fans....they just want the genre to just stay in a box and don't appreciate when certain artists grow musically.

B[size=-1]ingo. the album wasn't h[/size][size=-1]is best but[/size] [size=-1]it was due to h[/size][size=-1]imtry[/size][size=-1]ing someth[/size][size=-1]ing new. kanye[/size] [size=-1]is a trendy dude[/size] [size=-1]isn't he ?[/size][size=-1]i w[/size][size=-1]ill say th[/size][size=-1]is he suffered th[/size][size=-1]is one to make a awesome album on the nexthe w[/size][size=-1]ill take from th[/size][size=-1]is one and evolve on[/size] [size=-1]it just l[/size][size=-1]ike hed[/size][size=-1]id from h[/size][size=-1]is f[/size][size=-1]irst to second album. the album was hot none the less[/size] [size=-1]in compar[/size][size=-1]ison of the stuff came out 07 but[/size] [size=-1]it was the worst of h[/size][size=-1]is own catalogue.[/size]

I agree the album was a disappointment but that doesn't mean that Kanye has to live up to your pre conceived notions of him.

Back
Top Bottom