Kanye West: King of the Sunken Place, "Watch the Throne"

I keep hearing Kanye’s liquid wealth isn’t really there.
4 or 5 years ago dude was online saying he was millions in debt and was begging Zuck for cash. 2 years from that moment, he was supposedly worth 6 bill.

I've always had my suspicions that it was funny money. His brands' combined value per some people who get paid to assume what something is worth. Will be a rude awakening when he goes to sell some of that crap and gets 1/20th of what it was supposedly worth.

damn so adidas owns the silhouettes now. ye got finessed
They will not release the silhouettes attached to his brand or look. The consumers will easiely spot it and wont purchase it. Why do you think we never got a Nike Air Yeezy retro?

They will abandon anything related to him asap.

37F6618D-AC1D-4E38-9E35-CA73B71EB9DE.jpeg
ye being nike's trojan horse lol

In 2003, it was not “35 years ago,” nor was he fifteen at the time of the recording.

My statement was that people were bending over backwards trying to find some way to excuse it at the time - and, sadly, it seems that’s still true.

I find it particularly distasteful when the incident is treated as if it’s an accident, like he slipped on a banana peel, then shouted a racial slur and a derogatory claim about Black women into a microphone.

This seems to be the “Michael Richards defense,” that if someone suffers temporary embarrassment, it is in some way understandable for them to grope around for a weapon and wield a twisted instrument of historical oppression in defense of a momentarily bruised ego. (“Hurt people hurt people.”)

I can accept that it doesn’t move the needle much for you, but, crucially, it did not denigrate you.

There are a lot of people in prison for mistakes they made at 21. Society tends to be significantly more forgiving when the people who make those “mistakes” are White.

It brings to mind Chanel Miller’s powerful statement regarding Brock Turner and his incredibly lenient sentencing:

“My pain was never more important than his potential.”

Forgiveness does not require us to forget, nor should we ignore the tendency in our society to grant some people second (and third, and fourth) chances before giving others their first.

I understand that a lot of Ye’s fans - like Eminem’s fans - are inclined to forgive him - but not all of them have the standing to do so.

It is all too easy to forgive someone for harms inflicted upon someone else. If you’re not Black, if you’re not Jewish, then you have little right to ask those who are to overlook his defamatory statements because you like his art.
It was recorded in 1988 and 1993. That's 30 and 35 years ago. He was 15 and 21. He just turned 50.

I don't think it was an accident. I think it was acceptable in his group and he didn't think he was doing anything wrong. I don't think he said it with any hate. But hey, if you want to listen to a song from 30-35 years ago and judge him as racist for using the word his crew used,, thats your right to do so. Ignoring all context and everything else we know about him is weird to me but you do you.

And again, I'm not a huge Eminem fan so please stop pinning my thoughts to that.

If Eminem was using that word today, my feelings would be different. As I said earlier, context matters.
Exactly. If Em is so racist, why don’t you hear him saying the N word in every single line of one of his songs like mainstream rappers? Back then it was acceptable in the group of people he was hanging around.

Why hasn’t 6ix9ine come into the discussion? He’s says the N word a FRICK ton in his songs and he’s frigin Mexican/Puerto Rican. And he has gang ties.

But of course the first person ppl attack is a white rapper. Yeah I defend Eminem cause I like his music. I’m not like a super fan or anything, I just enjoy his music. I listen to mainstream rap 90% of the time anyway, but Em’s music is a nice break from that.

You can be racist behind closed doors and make sound public business decision regarding Em not using the N-Word in mainstream rap.

And I say this as a person who doesn't believe Em is racist and as a fan.

I posted it first @jpzx I win

Now hear me out, I think all of this is a plan from him, I think this is what he wanted
I honestly think this too... if you look how all this unfolded ... he pretty much taunted adidas saying he can say all this and they won't drop him.

It all started with that interview where he stated that sway was right, prolly got him thinking

I honestly think this too... if you look how all this unfolded ... he pretty much taunted adidas saying he can say all this and they won't drop him.

I think he is just trying to get out of this deal. I wouldn’t be surprised if he starts issuing apologies in the coming weeks.

I think he's a shock artist who has to keep pushing the envelope to stay relevant. But he now flew too close to the sun with these recent comments.

I'll re-iterate what I said earlier - this guy was a huge part of people's childhood and adolescent/teenage years. Those are some tough years and people lean on music sometimes to help them through it and cope. The music industry is well aware of this. Every generation has a band/artist they gravitate to during their coming-of-age. This is why "old" people continue to listen to music from their youth well into their adulthood.

So when the guy who was there for you during your growing up is now saying these things, it can be traumatizing and the first instinct is to not believe it and the 2nd instinct is to excuse it. Because it's not so much about the dude himself but about YOU and preserving the soundtrack to your coming-of-age.

I still don't think he gets that he's mad at individuals for allegedly screwing him over in business. Green is largely the only color that matters to them--Black, Jewish, Asian, Latino. If you're at the top, you organize your business in a way that keeps you there. His using discrimination as an outlet was racism playing out in real time on the world stage.

I think he's a shock artist who has to keep pushing the envelope to stay relevant. But he now flew too close to the sun with these recent comments.

I'll re-iterate what I said earlier - this guy was a huge part of people's childhood and adolescent/teenage years. Those are some tough years and people lean on music sometimes to help them through it and cope. The music industry is well aware of this. Every generation has a band/artist they gravitate to during their coming-of-age. This is why "old" people continue to listen to music from their youth well into their adulthood.

So when the guy who was there for you during your growing up is now saying these things, it can be traumatizing and the first instinct is to not believe it and the 2nd instinct is to excuse it. Because it's not so much about the dude himself but about YOU and preserving the soundtrack to your coming-of-age.

Well said

Nostalgia lame as Hell

Back
Top Bottom