Kevin McHale turned down Harrington, Biedrins, Monta & 18th for KG??

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2007/11/20/warriors_not_enough/

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Come on son, how you gonna misquote your own thread?
laugh.gif

"It was a possibility," said Garnett, 31. "But I wanted to go to a contender. I wanted to go somewhere where we were going to be of substance. I wasn't going to go to a team who I was going to wait on three or four years.

"I don't have three or four years to wait. I have to try to get it now."

Article basically says that a few teams were in the running, but Garnett basically had power to turn down a lot of offers because
a. he had a 10 million trade kicker
b. he could opt-out after the 2007-08 season. so any team getting him had to include an extension

Despite Garnett's power, the Warriors still could have rolled the dice to make the trade and hoped to convince him to stay.

So KG was the one who shot down the GS trade.

Oh, and this is just mind-boggling:

The source said the Warriors' package for Garnett included forward Al Harrington, center Andris Biedrins, guard Monta Ellis, and the 18th pick in this year's draft. The Lakers dangled forward Lamar Odom and center Andrew Bynum but couldn't acquire a high draft pick to sweeten the offer. Chicago spoke of sending Ben Gordon or Luol Deng, plus Tyrus Thomas, Thabo Sefolosha, and P.J. Brown in a sign-and-trade and their ninth overall pick for Garnett and another player. Dallas offered anybody but 2007 NBA MVP Dirk Nowitzki.
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

I heard this as well, I was like wow, you got Al Jefferson, and a bag of nobodies, while you could have gotten three well-established players.

That would have left Baron, J-Rich, SJAX, KG, and could have re-signed FOYLE!.

laugh.gif
wonder if dude really would've got his season tickets...anyways,I'm glad KG is in the Bean....it's the first time I get to see him on a consistent basis, and DAMN does he bring it
pimp.gif

Couple things....

If you read the article, you will see Garnett sided with not really wanting to go to G.S.

G.S. plays in the West. Strike 2.

In addition to building block Jefferson, the Wolves got a high draft pick plus and additional 1st rounder from Boston, which was the clincher. Well, besidesGarnett choosing Boston over G.S. anyway.

Oh and by the way, Quality > Quantity on that rebuilding T-Wolves team. They have plenty of basic scrub/role players, they don't need Harrington,Biedrins (Monta would've been nice, but they've got Foye and that other kid)...they needed a future star in return, and Al Jefferson was that futurestar

Plus, if McHale was going to trade KG, he was going to look to Boston in the first place...they're in the East and you know he'd like to see them dowell again

laugh.gif
So KG was the GM of the T Wolves?

He didn't have a no trade clause, so how can he shoot down a trade
indifferent.gif

McHale's job is to make the T Wolves good, not satisfy KG
And don't even try and tell me Baron, J-Rich, Stephen and KG wouldn't have competed for a title
grin.gif

^ What makes the trade Golden State proposed so much better than what they got?

eek.gif
eek.gif
laugh.gif
@ the Beindris quote.....alright, I've never thoughtabout it like that...butttttttt the TWolves got

Al Jeff - better than anyone they would've got from GS (and the staple of the trade...AJ could average a little less than what KG averages in a fewyears...AND THEY SIGNED HIM FOR CHEAP!)

Gerald Green - Has the talent, will he ever put it together? Who knows...Monta is more established but they probably have the same ceiling

Ryan Gomes, very solid roleplayer who had to be in the deal, although I doubt he re-signs with Minny...I think you'll see him in Boston next year
pimp.gif

Sebastian Telfair - OMG, this kid is future HOF'er....or so I've heard
embarassed.gif

2 first round picks? Not sure...not like they'll be high...

I don't even know who else they got...but the whole trade revolved around Al Jeff and signing him for cheap...Al Jeff > Harrington + Beindris IMO, forthe future

Green + Gomes can cancel out with Monta...comes down to the picks, and the fact that Boston is in the East

And they got KG out of the West

Exactly what I was going to say.

You get as much as you can for your player.

And also...

Oh and by the way, Quality > Quantity on that rebuilding T-Wolves team. They have plenty of basic scrub/role players, they don't need Harrington, Biedrins (Monta would've been nice, but they've got Foye and that other kid)...they needed a future star in return, and Al Jefferson was that future star

Monta is a future star, Biedrins can be a top 5 Center eventually in his career, and Harrington is a good PF, just not as young as the other two, a HELL of alot better than any other player the T-Wolves got OTHER than Al Jefferson.

WE GET MONEY:
laugh.gif

indifferent.gif

And don't even try and tell me Baron, J-Rich, Stephen and KG wouldn't have competed for a title
grin.gif

but if KG is unwilling to go to a team and you traded him anyways, he could opt out after one year and walk away for nothing, which would make the otherteam hesitant in trading for him........that's why he signed an extension with Boston....

laugh.gif

indifferent.gif

Did you just start paying attention to Garnett?

He had one year left on his contract before he could get out. What that means is that Garnett basically had to agree to what team he was being dealt to, because if he didnt then he would tell the team "Fine trade for me, but Im not gonna re sign with you." Teams knew that going in. Everybody on NT knew that going in.

And thus we saw him agree to his new contract numbers with Ainge the day he was traded.

2 first round picks? Not sure...not like they'll be high...
Ah, but one of those 1st round picks is one the Wolves got back from a previous trade. In other words, it's their pick. Which as we know meansit's going to be a high first rounder. I believe the pick is for next year's draft.

Alright, let's tackle this one at a time,

Who is Gerald Green other than a dunk contest winner.
What about Telfair? How's that guy doing?
Ryan Gomes? A young Greg Buckner
Theo Ratliff is older than dirt.
Al Jefferson is good, I won't lie there.

Biedrins is a great rebounder and shot blocker who can score on the inside.
Harrington spreads out the floor because he can score anywhere on the floor.
Not many guards can get to the basket as fast as him, and has so much potential.

In my opinion I think would've been worth it had it just been Jefferson for KG

Not like they were going anywhere with KG in the next few years, why not get a sick talent like Jefferson and pray he turns out 80% as good as KG was for them?

YOU NEED A SUPERSTAR (or player with the potential to be a superstar) IF YOU'RE GOING TO TRADE A SUPERSTAR!

I think only RyGuy, myself and BullsRepeat are the only dudes in here that get that/the fact that KG didn't want to go to GS anyways

An Opt-Out is just as good as a no-trade for a Top 3 player. You're not gonna gut ur roster and trade for a guy who hasn't already agreed to sign anextension.. So basically, Ticket did kill the deal..

Lets not forget McHale use to play for Boston...so he still has Boston Celtic Pride...IMO the trade sending KG to the Celtics made sense...

The source added that the Warriors tried unsuccessfully to trade Wright's draft rights to teams drafting after them for Thornton. The Clippers drafted Thornton 14th and had no interest in dealing him.
laugh.gif
@ Mullin. Should have just drafted Thornton from theget-go because....

Another NBA source said the Wolves would have made the deal if the Warriors drafted Florida State forward Al Thornton and put him in the package. Golden State, however, drafted North Carolina forward Brandon Wright.
eek.gif

T-Wolves would have gotten a great deal. Is Al Jefferson nice? He sure is, but Monta, Biedrins, Al Harrington, Al Thornton and Randy Foye? That's a gooda young core you're gonna get.

If KG opts out after the one year, so what?

He still has to play with B-Diddy, J-Rich and S-Jax. That's a squad. After a year running with the W's, he might've changed his mind.
eek.gif
pimp.gif

And if he does decide to opt out, don't the Warriors just free up cap space?

I dont know what a Greg Buckner is, but if you've ever watched Ryan Gomes, you would know he has a hell of a potential upside.

The Celtics basically gave the Wolves an entire team for one guy. Maybe the Warriors offer was good, but what good was it for the Warriors when KG bolted?

Of the other offers, the only one that looked good was the Bulls.

But this one...

Dallas offered anybody but 2007 NBA MVP Dirk Nowitzki.
eek.gif
eek.gif
They should have tried to pull a deal for Howard/Harris and maybe a throw in ortwo like Stackhouse to match the salaries. That coulda been amazing.

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

laugh.gif

indifferent.gif

Did you just start paying attention to Garnett?

He had one year left on his contract before he could get out. What that means is that Garnett basically had to agree to what team he was being dealt to, because if he didnt then he would tell the team "Fine trade for me, but Im not gonna re sign with you." Teams knew that going in. Everybody on NT knew that going in.
laugh.gif
But the Warriors didn't know this? I don't get how some of you people claim to be knowledgeable about sports.

Keving Mchale = GM of Timberwolves, Celtics Hall of Famer

Kevin McHale = Gave KG to Boston to fellow championship teammate and Celtics GM Danny Ainge for practically peanuts in return.

Slap yourself if you don't think that it was an inside job.

laugh.gif
But the Warriors didn't know this? I don't get how some of you people claim to be knowledgeable about sports.

^ Is this kid serious? And aren't you the dude that said J Smith was going to be a top 10 player in the L soon?

Your thread backfired from the beginning anyhow. Let's move on shall we.

Says the man from the Music forum. Got a lot more to learn man, things are rough here.
laugh.gif

In my opinion I think would've been worth it had it just been Jefferson for KG

Wow, I'm not sure I agree with that one, KG = Jefferson?
laugh.gif

Just look at it this way. Warriors would have gotten a fourth REALLY good player. It's what's happening with Ray Allen, the same would have happened toJ-Rich, he would get SO many open looks it wouldn't be funny. Having three guys that could handle the ball with ease (KG, Baron, and SJAX) would make theflow of the game be a lot easier. If he opted out at the end of the season, which I doubt he would because GSW would be a contender, okay so then they haveroom for more players in the 08-09 FA class, and there are TONS of GREAT players out there for them to pick and choose from.

And if your Minnesota? The only guy of any value that Minny received from the C's is Jefferson. He's doing well, yes, but anyone in his position would,give me a break. Gomes barely averages 10 PPG, on a horrendous 38% shooting, that's some potential for you! Telfair is just as bad, Gerald Green sure issuperstar talent, and so is king of injuries himself, Theo Ratliff. Orrrrrr, you could have gotten Harrington, Biedrins and Monta, as well as the 18th pick. Sowould you rather have 1 really good guy, and four sub-par guys? or three really good guys, hmm... If your McHale, you do what's best for your team, okay soKG might not have wanted to go to GS, but does he have any power? Not really, no. Players are traded ALL the time without consent, think J-Rich wanted to go tothe Bobcats? Think any of those guys shipped to Minnesota wanted to go there? HELL NO.

I just think they could have gotten so much more. Telfair is a bust, Ratliff is old as dirt, Gerald Green is an athlete, Gomes is a decent role player at best.

Back
Top Bottom