Kids and cell phones

On the iPhone there is a screen time option in the settings that allows you to set limitations on whatever you want on the phone. It gives you the ability to put a passcode and lock access to the settings. Also has iCloud access.

I’m in school to become a licensed Clinical Psychologist, in (hopefully) my last year.

There has not been a lot of research or long term literature on the effects of personal media device users and children, but it’s becoming more apparent that parents are under more constraints to work, and keep their children occupied. And with that, children are spending more time on phones/ tablets/ gaming consoles (more than us as adults, and it’s hard for us to put it down given all we need to do with the device).

And of course, this is heightened with COVID-19 related social distancing. And also, there’s literature on social media having devastating effects on the mental health of children (A personal anectode: Facebook was mainstream for me in ‘08 when I was in HS and I can remember feeling acutely depressed trying to set a “cool” account up or trying to talk to people)

I’d definitely recommend monitoring his usage, and see if there’s a way to block any social media usage until he’s a bit older? Do you think that’s possible?

I’d definitely recommend monitoring his usage, and see if there’s a way to block any social media usage until he’s a bit older? Do you think that’s possible?

You can limit and put as much hurdles as possible.

If it’s an iPhone, you can have it setup to where the parents will have to approve any apps that are downloaded on the phone. My daughter mother and I did it to her phone for the first 2-3 years.

My daughter is now 11 has had a phone since she was 8. I was opposed to it at first but her dad and i separated and it would be easier with communication plus she used to get herself off the bus. She was always super mature and responsible so i allowed it. On iphone i have always limited her screen time and blocked inappropriate content. You can even set a limit that they cant use the phones during certain times. She also recently begged me to get an Instagram which i agreed to but i monitor always since its linked to mine. The mot important part is talking to your child and keeping that open communication. Also if i ever feel like it interfering with life or using too much i will occasionally take it away.

Man Times Done Changed...

I Was A Freshmen/Sophmore In HS When I First Got A Cell Phone :lol:
i was in college :lol: and even then, the only thing you could really do with the phone was dial, text (limited), and play snakes.

can't you get a 10 yr old one of those phones where you can control and monitor. only dial emergency numbers and certain contacts that been programmed

Back
Top Bottom