Knicks start buyout talk with Stephon Marbury

dacomeup

Supporter
KNICKS, STEPH START SPLIT-UP TALKS

* Comments: 28
* Read Comments
* Leave a Comment

By MARC BERMAN
GOING, GOING...Stephon Marbury, banished to street clothes this season, could be an ex-Knick in one week, sources tell The Post.
GOING, GOING...Stephon Marbury, banished to street clothes this season, could be an ex-Knick in one week, sources tell The Post.

\

Last updated: 9:38 am
November 14, 2008
Posted: 3:18 am
November 14, 2008

Exiled Stephon Marbury Stephon Marbury was summoned yesterday morning to a 45-minute meeting with Knick president Donnie Walsh at the team's Westchester headquarters, and the sides held preliminary discussions about a buyout, two sources told The Post.

Marbury, who has no agent, was joined by Players Association attorney Hal Biagas.

The ball is now rolling for a Marbury-Knick divorce. A team source said an official breakup could happen in one week.

MORE: Complete Knicks Coverage

MORE: Knicks Blog

According to a source, Marbury asked Walsh for permission to talk with other clubs, and Walsh is expected to grant that wish soon. Walsh may request that Marbury agree not to sign with an Eastern Conference team.

Marbury will be on the bench tonight in street clothes when the Knicks New York Knicks host Oklahoma City (7:30 p.m., MSG, WEPN-1050 AM).

It will be Marbury's eighth straight "inactive" after a DNP in the opener. Walsh has refused to waive Marbury, though coach Mike D'Antoni will not use him.

It's a decision the coach can start to justify considering the Knicks' successful 5-3 start following their 132-point explosion in Memphis on Wednesday.

Walsh probably realizes it's the opportune time to open a roster spot, especially with Danilo Gallinari potentially out for several months and Eddy Curry Eddy Curry out indefinitely.

Releasing Marbury would give Walsh the opportunity to re-sign popular Patrick Ewing Jr., who's contemplating a move either to Europe or the developmental league.

Marbury has said repeatedly he wants "every penny" of his $21.9 million salary. However, if he signs with a new team, the Knicks will save a percentage of his new contract in a complicated formula.

If Marbury signs for the minimum contract, $1.2 million, the Knicks would save $300,000. Certainly the Knicks want more of a savings.

The Marbury-D'Antoni impasse became absurd during the two-game road trip to San Antonio and Memphis, when D'Antoni chose to activate an injured Curry instead of Marbury to replace the absent Gallinari.

Marbury's friends have referred to his status with the Knicks as "being held hostage."

Miami has interest in Marbury. The Celtics could be a strong possibility, too. Marbury has said he'd be willing to back up point guard Rajon Rondo.

The Nuggets had interest but just traded for PG Chauncey Billups. The Clippers need point-guard help, and Marbury is a friend of Baron Davis. San Antonio is in the market for a point guard, and Marbury has the Spurs atop his list.

After the preseason, D'Antoni decided Marbury would not be able to handle a diminished role, backing up Chris Duhon, without complaint.

pimp.gif
Hopefully they pay him all $21.2 million that they owe him.

Steph lost.

He's not getting all of it.

No agent - Idiotic....but that's no surprise with him.

why does it matter to u if marbury is gettin all of the money? u a relative or something trying to get some of his paper
laugh.gif

some people shouldnt have blogs ... i can understand stuttering when you talk, but damn if you type that !+@+ out ... ... ... smh

I don't care what uniform he is in, I just want to see him playing. With that said, if he gets released, what team does he go to? Spurs, Heat?

Originally Posted by nYcHipHopHippo

why does it matter to u if marbury is gettin all of the money? u a relative or something trying to get some of his paper
laugh.gif

No, I just would like to see him stick it to the Knicks organization for what they're doing to him. They don't want to pay it all to him, but if Stephwas able to get his release and have his contract paid in full it would be
pimp.gif
. Realistically though he isn't going to get the whole salary and he'srealizing that he'd rather play somewhere then waste a whole year sitting on the bench.

GOOD! F U Marbury, you're not a winner. Now go to Miami and ruin that franchise again. F U 'Starbury!'

Deep down im pretty sure steph knew he wasnt gonna get his whole salary to sit out...And even if he doesnt have an agent im sure he knows he in a contract yearand he gonna show something this year to get a decent deal from another team... Steph knows he aint gettin any youthier
laugh.gif

No, I just would like to see him stick it to the Knicks organization for what they're doing to him. They don't want to pay it all to him, but if Steph was able to get his release and have his contract paid in full it would be
pimp.gif
. Realistically though he isn't going to get the whole salary and he's realizing that he'd rather play somewhere then waste a whole year sitting on the bench.

Eh, what they've "done to him" is also about to pay him 100 million total dollars since 2004. And they did not get anything close to theproduction to warrant that even if they played him 48 mins a game.

The entire situation is obviously grimey but painting Marbury like the victim aint exactly 100% true IMO.

When a sport and its fans provide non-star players such as Stephon Marbury 22 million dollars per year to do anything, life is good all around.

man this is the stuff that belongs in the Knicks season thread...

Enough with the Stephon Marbury posts every time he takes a step
smh.gif

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

No, I just would like to see him stick it to the Knicks organization for what they're doing to him. They don't want to pay it all to him, but if Steph was able to get his release and have his contract paid in full it would be
pimp.gif
. Realistically though he isn't going to get the whole salary and he's realizing that he'd rather play somewhere then waste a whole year sitting on the bench.

Eh, what they've "done to him" is also about to pay him 100 million total dollars since 2004. And they did not get anything close to the production to warrant that even if they played him 48 mins a game.

The entire situation is obviously grimey but painting Marbury like the victim aint exactly 100% true IMO.

When a sport and its fans provide non-star players such as Stephon Marbury 22 million dollars per year to do anything, life is good all around.

That's the contractual agreement that they have with Steph, so that's what he should be paid. My issue is that if you're not going to play yourmost talented player and relegate him to the bench then just allow him to go elsewhere. I'm not stupid I know that Steph has been part of the problem, butI won't say that how he is being treated is fine for this reason.

doesnt matter, he's going to mess up the chemistry of any team he goes to anyway.

he is just a whinyass constant malcontent.

Originally Posted by Clutchshooter

doesnt matter, he's going to mess up the chemistry of any team he goes to anyway.

he is just a whinyass constant malcontent.
Preach!

yall wrong about Steph. You can quote me right now. Steph can play and his attitude has changed for the better. Maybe he wont put up 20/10 but he will help outwhatever team that he goes to and play nicely.

mullin what the +%!# you waiting for? if cj's play last night wasnt the last straw.... smh

How come no mention of the Rockets? They would be on the Lakers level if Steph could pass the ball a little.

The Blazers need a PG upgrade too, but thats not likely to happen.

^^Agreed i would love to see Steph on the Rockets. NYC getting some rep if they win games with Steph and Artest
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom