Kobe vs Lebron

Ok, lets discuss something. Upon Lebron's entry into the NBA, Nike immediately singed Lebron; in fact he had his contract before he even signed his NBAcontract. So with that being said, you knew Nike would pump lot's of money into product development for Lebron's sig shoe. Now the problem I have isthat there seems to be less innovation pumped into Kobe's sig shoe. Lebron is a great player but he's not Kobe, who is the best player in the leagueright now. Take for instance Lebron's latest shoe vs Kobe's latest shoe. Lebron's shoe is definitely a vast leap forward from his last shoe butKobe's new shoes seems to just be a prototype of the last shoe that wasn't selected for retail at that time. So the question is why does it seem thatNike puts more into Lebron sig shoes and not Kobe's, who is clearly the best player in the league? Your thoughts?

Holla back!!!

i think it's because lebron has more hype around him. i consider kobe to be the man of our generation on the court, but when it comes to marketing lebronis the man. i hate to compare them to this, but lebron is like when mike first run in the league when he was the breath of fresh air dunking on everything insight and then kobe is like the second era of mj when he was still the best, but a lot wiser and not as flashy. the kids want the flashy high flyer not theintelligent baller...lol i hope that all made sense

kobe 4 was an innovative shoe. nike has been marketing kobe more this past year, hopefully he gets better packaging for his sig (shoe box). i see your point,nike needed a new face to bring out to the forefronts to replace mj so they put it on the shoulders of lebron. it seems to me that nike's tracing the samepath for lebron as they did with jordan. kobe imo is the best basketball player in the league. nike has indeed taken notice to this, i think if you slap on aair max unit and put them on the new kobes and add some weight to the shoe, you get the new lebron 7's. nike gave the newest technology to the illesthooper in the game (kobe) first. that is a testiment to where nike is going with kobe.

1. Kobe Bryant is not the best player in the NBA right now.
2. Who ever said that you need innovation in order to have a good shoe?
3. Nike feels that by suggesting that Kobe invented wearing low tops shoes to ball in, that this is innovation. The whole marketing campaign was based aroundKobe wearing a low in present day even though Gil, Nash, and a few others have been wearing them ever since they came into the league.
4. LeBron James has sexier image. The Vogue pic, no matter how racist is was, put LeBron in that other catagory that Kobe will never be able to occupy. He ismore marketable, and then will be able to sell more shoes, especially in NYC. If you want success in marketing anything, it's got to hit NYC. Nike knowsthat very well.
5. Lebron is the best player in the NBA for a few reasons. One is that he is a better athlete, he is a stronger athlete, he can pay multiple positions 1 thru4, then play them effectively, he is a good teammate, and since he got into the league he did more with less. LeBron also has that thing that will make youwant to watch him, something that Kobe Bryant does NOT have. Kobe is like Larry Holmes after Ali retired, with Jordan being his Ali. LeBron has that otherthing that does not remind you of MJ, as he is something different. LeBron plays that smash mouth basketball. Run it up the gut, then bang it.

Nike knows that LeBron is right for these times, that is why they are behind him, BUT!

Will they hold on to him?

Losing Kobe won't be a big deal for Nike, as his shoes don't sell anyway.

Originally Posted by Dark Chocolate

eek.gif
laugh.gif

4. LeBron James has sexier image.
sick.gif
(check yourself homie)

He is more marketable, and then will be able to sell more shoes, especially in NYC.

If you want success in marketing anything, it's got to hit NYC. Nike knows that very well. wow, captain obvious... #1 populated city in the U.S...

5. Lebron is the best player in the NBA for a few reasons
laugh.gif

One is that he is a better athlete,
he is a stronger athlete,

he can pay multiple positions 1 thru 4
, then play them effectively,

he is a good teammate, and since he got into the league he did more with less
roll.gif
the guy that that averages 40 points and still falls short?..... Somethings wrong in his game doggy.... He cant make his team better....

LeBron also has that thing that will make you want to watch him, something that Kobe Bryant does NOT have. damn... you reside in Ohio i assume?....

Nike knows that LeBron is right for these times, that is why they are behind him, BUT!

Losing Kobe won't be a big deal for Nike, as his shoes don't sell anyway. You Are aware that Kobe does outsell Lebron right?.........
grin.gif

I can try to provide you with the numbers..... He clearly outsells Lebron in the states and outside of the states..... Kobe is # 1 in asia. Last time i heard he outsold Jordan Brand and Lebron

I thought this was about Nike Marketing?..... Dont get me wrong, i Love lebron, very marketable i think... its just his image is going to reflect his sales ithink. what i get from lebron is he is just doing everything wrong, from wearing MVP shirts on the red carpets to walking out in the eastern conf.

and a big issue is his tattoos.... believe it or not.... Dont ask me why, its Just an Ethical American point of view

same goes to Kobe. A lot of parents Don't approve of Kobe due to his incident in Colorado....

"When Threads go Wrong"...

mr. Dark Chocolate is just here to stir up controversy.

i'm a pretty casual NBA fan. last night the Cavaliers and the Lakers both played in seperate games.

i couldn't even bring myself to watch much of the Cavaliers game. LeBron does not have that "thing" as far as i'm concerned.

however, once the Lakers and Kobe took the court, i had to watch the dude play.

3. Nike feels that by suggesting that Kobe invented wearing low tops shoes to ball in, that this is innovation. The whole marketing campaign was based around Kobe wearing a low in present day even though Gil, Nash, and a few others have been wearing them ever since they came into the league.
4. LeBron James has sexier image. The Vogue pic, no matter how racist is was, put LeBron in that other catagory that Kobe will never be able to occupy. He is more marketable, and then will be able to sell more shoes, especially in NYC. If you want success in marketing anything, it's got to hit NYC. Nike knows that very well.
5. Lebron is the best player in the NBA for a few reasons. One is that he is a better athlete, he is a stronger athlete, he can pay multiple positions 1 thru 4, then play them effectively, he is a good teammate, and since he got into the league he did more with less. LeBron also has that thing that will make you want to watch him, something that Kobe Bryant does NOT have. Kobe is like Larry Holmes after Ali retired, with Jordan being his Ali. LeBron has that other thing that does not remind you of MJ, as he is something different. LeBron plays that smash mouth basketball. Run it up the gut, then bang it.

roll.gif
roll.gif
laugh.gif
. wait....are you serious when you typed that?

Koopa2410 wrote:

3. Nike feels that by suggesting that Kobe invented wearing low tops shoes to ball in, that this is innovation. The whole marketing campaign was based around Kobe wearing a low in present day even though Gil, Nash, and a few others have been wearing them ever since they came into the league.
4. LeBron James has sexier image. The Vogue pic, no matter how racist is was, put LeBron in that other catagory that Kobe will never be able to occupy. He is more marketable, and then will be able to sell more shoes, especially in NYC. If you want success in marketing anything, it's got to hit NYC. Nike knows that very well.
5. Lebron is the best player in the NBA for a few reasons. One is that he is a better athlete, he is a stronger athlete, he can pay multiple positions 1 thru 4, then play them effectively, he is a good teammate, and since he got into the league he did more with less. LeBron also has that thing that will make you want to watch him, something that Kobe Bryant does NOT have. Kobe is like Larry Holmes after Ali retired, with Jordan being his Ali. LeBron has that other thing that does not remind you of MJ, as he is something different. LeBron plays that smash mouth basketball. Run it up the gut, then bang it.

roll.gif
roll.gif
laugh.gif
. wait....are you serious when you typed that?

Ahhh....just can't get any dumber than DC huh...
laugh.gif

LeBron does not have that "thing" as far as i'm concerned.
Thats true, if by thing, you mean, Phil Jackson, Tex winters Triangle O, or Lamar Odom, or Ron artest, or Derick Fisher, or Lakersorganization...etc...

Sick of people trying to compare Bron at 24 to Kobe now and thinking they can say "oh Kobes better"....Please...lets imagine for a moment that Kobehad entered the league on a team like the Cavs right out of high school...he would have been a complete joke, although a high scoring one, he would have neverhave won anything until he was traded to a big market team, with big name talent...the only reason he has 4 championships is because he was thrown into asystem with a big check book and great players surrounding him...If you remember he even messed that situation up with his "me first" attitude beforehe calmed down listened to phil and let shaq lead....Lebron is way more of a force physically, and mentally, and just needs more support around him and thediscussion wouldn't even be going on...I think its great that Kobe got to save his tarnished image last year by actually winning a championship as theleader of a team...but I guarantee you it won't take 10+ years in the league and alot of off court drama and bad choices for Lebron to win one on hisown...Its all in the numbers...just compare Kobes numbers to Lebrons in their first 6 years and see what you come up with...Kobe is a great scorer, and on gooddays he might play a little D....but Bron is an all round baller who can play with sub par talent to make it to the playoffs every year except his first, andeven then it was down to the last games of the season...If kobes so great why could he not take the Lakers into the playoffs after shaq left? He had to waitfor the Lakers to get out the checkbook and sign premier talent to supplement his scoring abilities...he is good, but when its all said and done his numbersand championships will look miniscule to James'...I mean there should be an asterisk next to the first 3, its not like he was the reason they won those.

and as for the shoe thing...Nike also knows what I am saying to be true, because it is their job to recognize true basketball greatness...they did it with MJ,and now with Bron...anyone who wasn't a young kid or teen during Kobes first 10 years & didnt fall for the NBA's "Kobe hype" and trulyunderstands basketball, would have known that kobe is just another great scorer and not truly worth building a brand around.

While it's true that Kobe both HAS BEEN and CURRENTLY IS in a better b-ball situation than LeBron, for now Kobe is King.

LeBron is a true physical beast, and remember -- he's only 24 -- so there's no question he will be the best in the L for a looooong time.

But right now, Kobe knows what to do and has all the skills to do it, alongside a truly stacked team. Sure he's a less willing passer, but he's a waybetter shooter than LeBron and has a comparably high hoops IQ, too. And having better team-mates shouldn't be viewed as a flaw -- no one wins rings alone.

And you should get your facts right -- LeBron didn't make the playoffs in his second season either. And if he wins a ring, it sure as hell won't be himalone. NO TEAM has won a championship with only one great player/all-star -- EVER. Second, Kobe made the playoffs without Shaq or Pau -- and if you think thatKobe wasn't involved in winning his first three chips, you don't know ball. I'm not a Kobe fan, but respect is still due. Peep the crunch-timeleft-handed offensive rebound Kobe made against San Antonio in the '01 or '02 playoffs as evidence alone...

Originally Posted by allthingsjordan

LeBron does not have that "thing" as far as i'm concerned.
Thats true, if by thing, you mean, Phil Jackson, Tex winters Triangle O, or Lamar Odom, or Ron artest, or Derick Fisher, or Lakers organization...etc...

Sick of people trying to compare Bron at 24 to Kobe now and thinking they can say "oh Kobes better"....Please...lets imagine for a moment that Kobe had entered the league on a team like the Cavs right out of high school...he would have been a complete joke, although a high scoring one, he would have never have won anything until he was traded to a big market team, with big name talent...the only reason he has 4 championships is because he was thrown into a system with a big check book and great players surrounding him...If you remember he even messed that situation up with his "me first" attitude before he calmed down listened to phil and let shaq lead....Lebron is way more of a force physically, and mentally, and just needs more support around him and the discussion wouldn't even be going on...I think its great that Kobe got to save his tarnished image last year by actually winning a championship as the leader of a team...but I guarantee you it won't take 10+ years in the league and alot of off court drama and bad choices for Lebron to win one on his own...Its all in the numbers...just compare Kobes numbers to Lebrons in their first 6 years and see what you come up with...Kobe is a great scorer, and on good days he might play a little D....but Bron is an all round baller who can play with sub par talent to make it to the playoffs every year except his first, and even then it was down to the last games of the season...If kobes so great why could he not take the Lakers into the playoffs after shaq left? He had to wait for the Lakers to get out the checkbook and sign premier talent to supplement his scoring abilities...he is good, but when its all said and done his numbers and championships will look miniscule to James'...I mean there should be an asterisk next to the first 3, its not like he was the reason they won those.

and as for the shoe thing...Nike also knows what I am saying to be true, because it is their job to recognize true basketball greatness...they did it with MJ, and now with Bron...anyone who wasn't a young kid or teen during Kobes first 10 years & didnt fall for the NBA's "Kobe hype" and truly understands basketball, would have known that kobe is just another great scorer and not truly worth building a brand around.

So you mean to tell me that lebron could have made it to the playoffs with smush parker and kwame brown in his starting lineup playin in the west????? Lebronis a good player but like everybody else before him has to wait his turn if you ask me. Your talkin about numbers but if you look at it Shaq didn't win aring until him and kobe got on the same page, then he won with wade and the refs. If he's not a part of the reason they won they why didn't shaq winwhen he had penny??? Kobe made it to the playoffs with kwame brown and smush parker two years straight in the WESTERN CONFERENCE! You gona have to comebetter than that
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Originally Posted by YoungAllen

not Kobe's, who is clearly the best player in the league?

Passing off opinion is fact is stupid. The best player on the planet is open for intelligent debate. I think LeBron is better than Kobe now but I wouldn'tsay it's clear and obviously it's reasonable to say Kobe is better.

some of these points are totally irrelevant towards marketing... from tattoos to having a "thing"

Point is, it is ALL about the future. KB has at most 5 more sigs that will see the hardwood. Bron can easily double that (insisting he stays healthy *knocks onwood)

Bron will surpass Kobe at some point, either this year or next, and Nike will be there to be the ring leader of the campaign.

Well imo lebron will pass kobe this year in the best player in the league, i am a very big kobe fan but it is becoming more evident that lebron is the presentand future from here on out. Kobe will probably will get another ring this year. but nike doesnt seem to put as much effort into kobes shoes even though hehas a much bigger legacy. I saw that the point was made earlier that lebron and jordan have had their own boxes for a while and kobe gets the standard nikebox. It just seems to be true that nike is focusing more on the future of lebron than the present of kobe. no doubt kobe has the innovation and technology inhis shoes, nike just doesnt separate his line like everyone else that is something special

I'll steer clear of this debate...as I am a fan of one and a fan of the other team....

One person alone can keep anilating any credibility they thought they had.. lol

Originally Posted by KingJames23

Originally Posted by YoungAllen

not Kobe's, who is clearly the best player in the league?

Passing off opinion is fact is stupid. The best player on the planet is open for intelligent debate. I think LeBron is better than Kobe now but I wouldn't say it's clear and obviously it's reasonable to say Kobe is better.

what can Lebron do that Kobe cannot do?

*crickets*

what can Kobe do that Lebron cannot do? knock down a jump shot CONSISTANTLY
that should end all debates right there. When Lebron can shoot jumpshots consistantly, then he will take the crown as the best player. Theyre both greatplayers in their own rights, but right now Kobe can do everything Lebron can AND he can hit jumpshots(and freethrows) consistantly...plus I'd give him theedge in the mental, but I think that comes moreso with games played on the highest level

onto the shoes......I think the difference comes in the fact that Kobe has been through NUMEROUS shoes and really knows what he wants from a shoe. It seemslike each Lebron shoe thus far is an expirement to see what works and what doesnt work. I think thats why Kobe's shoes will continue to be similar to itspredecessor. lebrons shoes seem like a departure from the previus shoe.
as far as marketing...i think Lebron is more marketable cause he doesnt seem as stern and serious as Kobe. Kobe for the most part seems to be all aboutbusiness and having that killer instinct. lebron is more youthful and has a funny side that we dont see in Kobe.....just look at last years game introductions.You'd never see Kobe doing that. Look at Lebrons chalk display before games....he's more outgoing with his personality, so I think that plays a part.The boxes? thats really an issue? I mean I do think its sorta weird to buy a sig shoe and have it come in the GR orange box, but its not really an issue in mybook really cause if Im playin in the shoe, the box is the last thing on my mind

See... This is when stating your age and where you reside steps in. I'm a very passionate NBA fan. So I look at the players skill more than the bling onthe finger.

Excuse me please... But consider yourself an idiot if you clearly think lebron is better than Kobe. Kobe will score and average 30+ points... While beingdoubled(trippled) teamed. What other player in the NBA gets double teamed more than KOBE and Chris Paul(lame)?..... Look at how they goddamn play for Christsake. Ask lebron again.... Who is the best player in the league.... He prob won't answer the same way but his mind is on Kobe. ***** If Kobe played in asorry *** team, and in the east!...... Hmmm Kobe would be back to number 8. You'll know what I mean if you watch Bball. Kobe in a sorry as$ team wasn'tthat long ago. Look what he did.... 40+ 50+ consecutive games...... Kobe moves the ball now. Look at him play. Sorry for "gripping Kobes behind" butI say it as how I see it.

funny how this comes up yet again. anyways, this was also a over dinner debate among friends not too long ago. I think kobe is better because lebron can'tmove the way kobe does, making him incredible on offense whether 1 on 1, 2 on 1, or even 3 on 1, that guy will get to the hole or make it in the basket. kobecan dish when he needs to, behind the back, ears, through the legs etc. Lebron has got what? a dunk? something of a fader, granted lebron is a great withdishing the ball but he doesnt dish and draw as much of the attention on D like kobe does when he touches the ball...in the end, lebron's arsenal isrelatively on the low end when compared to what kobe can do. i love lebron and will root for him but kobe is hands down the best in the league. if you thinksomeone else takes the cake take a look at the guy's stats and professional career.

Back
Top Bottom