**LA LAKERS THREAD** Sitting on 17! 2023-2024 offseason begins

Zu doin well in the DLeague tonight.

#Soon

Mamba, IF Zu could join the core, he/Nance/Ingram are pieces that can defend. Just some improvement from DLo/Clarkson in time would start to be decent. They'll never be The Bad Boys, but they could be a top 10-12ish level Def, with hopefully a top O. Maybe add a defender or two later, could be somethin. We've got time.

You think teams would give up an All-Star for an unproven and inconsistent 2nd year player? No team would give up an all-star for DLo unless the Lakers include DLo in a package that included other players and picks.

Dunn being two years older doesn't matter because they are both in their early 20's. What matters is talent, and Dunn imo is more talented than DLo.

DLo is all Hollywood, no substance. Dude is too pretty, too soft, too Swaggy D, can't play D, and does nothing but create new hairstyles each game. That, my friend, is NOT Lakers material.
You're the one that proposed Dlo & Mozgov for Boogie so U tell me. While I do see your point about Dlo's "persona" it's way too early to give up on him. I still think the kid is gunna be a star & the best player on the team. I could see why others would fee different but it would be supremely stupid to get rid of him now.
Ok, so here' where we immediately disagree. I flat out do NOT think DLo is "superstar" caliber. I can give you so many reasons why (in spite of it being just his second year) but that's a topic for another conversation.

The reason why I say the Lakers should trade him for Boogie NOW given the opportunity arises is because of the following:

1. Sacramento has made it known that they covet DLo. So given the Kings' desire, it plays to our advantage. Not to mention Boogie wants out of Sactown.

2. Adding Boogie improves our playoff chances dramatically because we add a bonafide superstar and arguably the league's best center. 

3. Building around Boogie as your centerpiece opens up the floor for guys like Randle, Clarkson, Ingram to operate because of the constant double teams Boogie will face. Do you see anybody doubling DLo? No way Jose.

4. Last and most importantly, the Lakers (and Coach Walton) can see that their team is ultra competitive and they can smell playoffs. I've heard several players in the locker room already talking about the possibility of a winning season and making the postseason. Adding Boogie gives not only credibility to your ballclub for the next 5-7 years, but also the cache to attract future superstar free agents such as FILL IN THE BLANK.

[thread="654452"]2017 Lakers Season Thread 11 13 Vs Min 6 4/2980_20#post_26983291​[/thread]

You're awesome. Please go back to the sneaker threads, they miss you.
Nah...I'll hang out here and see if Lakers fans on these threads are real Lakers fans and know their team inside out.
Says the guy coming into the Laker thread for the first time.
laugh.gif

Let me get my SoHi on and save these keystrokes.
Dont matter if this is my first time on this thread.

Let's see what you know about basketball and the Lakers. Carry on...

You don't think Randle, Zubac, and Clarkson have the "tools" to be great defenders? I'd like to know why you think they wouldn't

Fundamentals wise I haven't seem anything from Clarkson nor Randle on defense so far. Zubac hasn't even seen minutes so I don't know.

Whatever length advantages D'Lo would have on PGs is often neglected by his lack of lateral quickness and just plain out laziness.

Dlo should never be traded
He's only in his 2nd year
In years 3-5, he will magically gain speed
He will learn to get by a defender without a screen
He will learn to play defense
He will stop playing in slow motion

Can we just not delay the inevitable and retire his jersey now? He's totally the best PG ever, 2nd to Michael carter Williams.

Go Lakers!

Zu doin well in the DLeague tonight.

#Soon

Mamba, IF Zu could join the core, he/Nance/Ingram are pieces that can defend. Just some improvement from DLo/Clarkson in time would start to be decent. They'll never be The Bad Boys, but they could be a top 10-12ish level Def, with hopefully a top O. Maybe add a defender or two later, could be somethin. We've got time.
There is no time when you're Jim Buss with a deadline.

There is no time when you've been on a playoff drought going on 5-6 years.

There is no time when the Lakers are known for winnin' time.

You think the Lakers are willing to wait this out for another 4-5 years? You gotta be kidding me. They are stockpiling pieces so that they can have assets to TRADE for superstars which in turn will help facilitate the acquisition of top free agents. That's the Lakers recipe. Remember the Young Guns of the 90s aka George Lynch, Anthony Peeler, Eddie Jones, Vlade Divac, etc? What happened to them? Oh yeah, they turned into Kobe, Glen Rice, and Shaq.

Thought you knew.

Last edited:
Thing is if Luke is trying to make us the baby Warriors, we can't have 4 of the 5 guys in the starting lineup not even attempting to play defense. Randle can be Dray-lite on offense but if he's getting lit up on the other end it's all for naught.

Last edited:
Teams trap D'Lo in the high pick and roll all the time.

Yeah, and most of the time he doesn't know what to do with the rock. Dude averages 3 assists per game.
Uh yeah, because D'Lo draws the double team and drops off the pass to Randle to rack up the assists when it's a 4 vs 3 in the middle of the court.

And he's averaging nearly five assists per game.

Last edited:

You don't think Randle, Zubac, and Clarkson have the "tools" to be great defenders? I'd like to know why you think they wouldn't
Fundamentals wise I haven't seem anything from Clarkson nor Randle on defense so far. Zubac hasn't even seen minutes so I don't know.

Whatever length advantages D'Lo would have on PGs is often neglected by his lack of lateral quickness and just plain out laziness.
Completely agree about DLo's lack of lateral quickness (I mean look at the dude's legs lol). And yes, DLo is lazy because he too worried about how pretty he looks. Not Lakers material.

Clarkson is an underrated defender, he knows how to fight through the P&R, he is a great anticipator, and always seems to get steals by intercepting passing lanes. 

Randle still has a lot to learn defensively from a fundamental standpoint, however Metta is mentoring him, and Randle's brute strength and physicality alone allows him to get by. There is a ton of upside with his defense, as he has already shown this year that he knows how to get in position to block shots after getting beat off the dribble.

Thing is if Luke is trying to make us the baby Warriors, we can't have 4 of the 5 guys in the starting lineup not even attempting to play defense. Randle can be Dray-lite on offense but if he's getting lit up on the other end it's all floor naught.

Are you talkin "now" or 2-3 years from now?

Thibbs is in Minny, they can't stop a cold. It takes a minute. Give Luke time.

Thing is if Luke is trying to make us the baby Warriors, we can't have 4 of the 5 guys in the starting lineup not even attempting to play defense. Randle can be Dray-lite on offense but if he's getting lit up on the other end it's all for naught.
All I'm gonna say is this: the biggest misnomer and misconception is to think Luke is trying to turn this team into "Baby Warriors."

Are you talkin "now" or 2-3 years from now?

Thibbs is in Minny, they can't stop a cold. It takes a minute. Give Luke time.

They're above league average though right now. We're the 4th worst in the league.

Wolves were 23rd in the league last season to 13th right now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom