**LA LAKERS THREAD** Sitting on 17! 2023-2024 offseason begins

Zach Lavine had a pretty significant injury last year he was recovering from and is still currently coming back from injury. Y’all talking about max Contract damaged goods who hasn’t played basketball since November

Don’t need to fire HAM, but need to figure out the lineups/rotations. Nearly half way into the season and only players whose minutes are consistent are reddish and Prince. Reddish isn’t some hidden gold Ham found and Lebron unlocked.. he’s a backup, not a starter. Stop lying to the players and media when talking about the rotations would be a good start.

Firing a coach mid-season is always risky

BUT

There’s a dynamic between GMs and HCs. GMs try to find guys who fit a system that a coach coaches and can help win. The coach is supposed to use the players the way that the GM intended. Now it’s not an exact science because things happen, guys get injured, somebody rockets into the spotlight, unforeseen circumstances, etc.

But outside of Bron & AD. It doesn’t feel like Ham is using anybody for their intended purpose they were brought in for. Then makes changes Willy Nilly and then comes up with some weird idea of why player X isn’t doing A,B,C.

If Ham doesn’t use the roster the way it’s put together. A trade doesn’t always fix that either.
And if they don’t use the roster in the intended purpose or at least attempt to, why waste time with someone.

(Again my opinion on Ham is in the middle, but the last 6 weeks has been really weird)

They’ve gone 3-9. If they were even 6-6 which would be pace of the season. They are 2GB of the 4 seed.

Ham has lost everybody or at the very least has begun to lose everybody.

Last edited:
Yo darthska darthska this made me think of the question you asked the other day…

Pt 1

Curry turnover down the stretch, also was 2/7 in the 4th quarter

Pt 2

NBA/Social media - omg rotations and coaching!! (Little to no mention of Curry choke job, but if he hit a game winner he’s elevated past guys like Kobe in the All Time ranking)

Feels like a lot of these discussions/arguments come down to how can I blame the guy I don’t like, while finding ways to shift blame from off my favorite players.

gxk3kgmjzjac1.png

In the 15 games before the IST Championship. The Lakers were 11-4. Tied for 6th in +/- 4th in FG%. 14th in 3P%. Maybe a tick off being the best in the league in that stretch, but the requirements were small improvements.
Then won a game making the most efficient offense in the league look as bad as they did against the Heat.

Since then.

3-9.
The biggest thing that has changed is guys being moved all over the rotation and starting lineups.
And whatever offensive struggles they had, got worse because everyone is just looking around like Travolta in Pulp Fiction wondering what they are being asked to do.

Players want to be well prepared and know their roles. Xs and Os isn't Ham's strength. And he keeps shuffling lineups (I gave him a pass in November but lately it's been ridiculous). So of course there's gonna be distrust.

Minny is the 1 seed. They are the 20th ranked offense. 1st ranked defense.
If those numbers hold and continue on in the playoffs, they will have early round success, and then get killed in either their semis or conference finals rounds because skilled teams make shots over tough defenses and you have to match up and down the line.

Lakers 10th ranked defense with DLo and AR playing 58% of the guard minutes.
Jaxson Hayes 18% of the Center minutes.
Rui 17% of the forward minutes. Sure it could be better. But I don’t think the answer will end up being to lean further into defensive personnel

24th in offense.
Outside of DLo/AR/Bron/AD for the year. And Prince, but I think he’d be better in his traditional bench role, the offense is horrific.

Not to mention when your offense makes shots, it limits transition and makes your defense better.

Players want to be well prepared and know their roles. Xs and Os isn't Ham's strength. And he keeps shuffling lineups (I gave him a pass in November but lately it's been ridiculous). So of course there's gonna be distrust.
This. You go from starting with AD/Bron, learning their spots, working pick n’ roll, developing chemistry, then next week you’re on the bench with Rui and Wood. You go and get a little chemistry with Wood, he gets 5 straight DNPs. Start getting a nice rhythm, minutes randomly lowered from 30 to 20. Switching up who you’re practicing with and against every other game ain’t it.

On a very basic level: know your role, know your minutes, expectations.

Heats’ coach implemented zone defenses and Lakers literally couldn’t figure it out..

Bron has historically flourished with shooters and playmakers. Putting him out there with Vando, reddish (no shooting/playmaking) is asking for failure.

Play-making: that’s DLo and AR. Pick 1, start them, and stick with it. The other comes off the bench and plays 30+ minutes staggered. They’re also some of the better shooters on the team. They’re the 3rd and 4th best players in the team, with or without injuries these roles should be locked in.

3pt Shooting: other than DLo/AR, really only Prince, and he’s hot and cold like many shooters. Rui- honorable mention shooting 36.8% on 3 attempts /game. Prince is a good fit on the team, but should not be playing 37-39 minutes. 34 minutes, hard capped.

Hayes been bad, Play wood over him. Vando been bad, bench him until he figures it out/gets healthy

Back
Top Bottom