**LA LAKERS THREAD** Sitting on 17! 2023-2024 offseason begins

I remember every detail of that 2000 series thinking to myself, this 21 year old a Champion, for life. No one can ever say nothin bad about him, or argue nothin, or disrespect him, he's an NBA Champ.

Boy was I stupid. :lol:

I spent the next ten years watchin folks tear that dude to shreds and he went to six more finals those ten years. :lol: :smh:

Steve Kerr and Doc Rivers talk about what JJ Redick might face if he coaches Lakers

On Sept. 30, 2104, Steve Kerr presided over his first practice as the head coach of an NBA team. Kerr was now the man in charge of the Golden State Warriors, a job he took without the benefit of any previous coaching experience.

Kerr looked out before him and saw the faces of stars Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson and Draymond Green staring back at him, waiting for the newbie to put his coaching plan in place on that initial day.

“It was a little bit of a s— show, to be honest. I had these plans with the coaching staff beforehand, but it was like the first day of school, only I was a brand new teacher,” Kerr, laughing, recalled about his first day coaching the Warriors. “You have to get through the bumps in the road and iron things out. But I remember the first two days were a little chaotic. I was trying to do a lot of things. I quickly realized that you don’t have nearly as enough time as you thought you would to address every issue. And that’s a big part of it.”

If JJ Redick gets the Lakers’ head coaching job that seems destined to become his, according to people not authorized to speak publicly on the matter, having the right staff will be beneficial since he has no coaching experience.

Kerr won five NBA championships as a player. He became a minority owner of the Suns upon retiring, then the president of basketball operations and general manager of the team. He left that post and to join TNT as an analyst until leaving that job in 2014 to become coach of the Warriors.
What he quickly learned during the early practice sessions and in games throughout his maiden voyage as a coach was to lean on his highly capable and experienced staff.

Kerr turned to former coach Alvin Gentry and Ron Adams, considered the savant of assistant coaches at the time in the NBA, for advice.

“I was lucky I had Ron Adams and Alvin Gentry with me. Although I shouldn’t call it luck. I purposely hired them because I knew I would need their expertise,” said Kerr, who won the first of his four NBA championships in that rookie season. “And they were great, they were fantastic and helped me through that transition process.”

The Times spoke to five former players who became head coaches without having been on the bench in that role and each was adamant the sage assistants are important to have for guidance.

Redick, who played 15 seasons in the NBA, is an analyst for ABC/ESPN and has his “Mind the Game” podcast with Lakers superstar LeBron James.

“If JJ does get the job, JJ has been out of the game for a few years and had an opportunity to be around guys in other settings,” said Derek Fisher, the Crespi High coach who won five NBA titles with the Lakers before he became a first-time coach with the New York Knicks in 2014.

“Like, he has a podcast with LeBron. That didn’t necessarily exist when I was making that transition. But it’s a good example of how different that is for even a guy that may not have previous experience coaching. It’s really the relationships with players that drive your success to a large degree anyway. So, if you’re in a position where you have that to lean on, it does help cushion the experience part. That’s something that the collection of individuals on the staff can help offset the lack of coaching experience.”

The pull to become a coach for Doc Rivers came after 13 years in the NBA as a player and three years working for TNT after his retirement, calls from legendary coaches Pat Riley and Chuck Daly sparking his interest.

So Rivers, currently the coach of Milwaukee, took the job with the Orlando Magic in 1999 without any experience. But he had former head coaches Dave Wohl and Johnny Davis by his side.
Rivers recalled how a few games into his first season he wanted to change his offense.

Wohl and Davis told Rivers that “you can’t do that,” because they had installed a new offense in training camp.

Still, Rivers was insistent.

“I said, ‘Yeah, I’m going to do it.’ And they were all against it, and I did it,” said Rivers, who was selected coach of the year in his first season. “It changed our team because it fit what we were. It took guts. So, that taught me a lot. You are going to be wrong sometimes, but you got to be willingly wrong and you got to be willing to take chances. I thought that was the biggest lesson that year.”

Mark Jackson was a point guard in the NBA for 17 seasons before he joined ESPN as an analyst. Yet, Jackson yearned to be an NBA coach, figuring his time as a point guard made him a coach on the court that would translate even if he lacked any experience on the bench.

“I wouldn’t say learn as you go along,” said Jackson, who took over the Warriors in 2011. “There are certain things that you have to learn that you didn’t do as a player. Now you’re making the decisions, decisions that you never thought about making like, ‘Do we stay overnight? Do we leave after the game? What time is practice? How long do we practice?’ I was fortunate to have good people around me, as far as my staff, particularly Mike Malone and Pete Myers, guys that had been assistants for a long time. They made life easier for me.”

When Vinny Del Negro became a first-time coach with the Chicago Bulls in 2008, he hired former head coaches Del Harris and Bernie Bickerstaff to show him the ins and outs of being the man in charge.
Del Negro also took another approach to help in his learning curve.

“When I got the Chicago job, I went and coached the team in the summer league,” he said. “I just jumped right in. I needed that. Everyday you do it, every game, you get a little bit more comfortable and you understand things a little bit better and you’re learning your players, and you know things you can do better every game. That’s what you are doing on a daily basis.”

As he began to think about coaching, Kerr said he spent years preparing how to interview for jobs and what kind of coaching philosophy he wanted to develop.

Kerr said some of the best advice he got about becoming a coach was from Jeff Van Gundy, a former Knicks and Rockets coach.

“I asked his advice and I said, ‘If you were me and just getting started and wanted to prepare for an interview and prepare to become a coach, what would you do?’” Kerr said. “And he said, ‘Everytime you stop and think about what kind of coach you want to be, write it down. Whatever you are thinking, write it down.

“Before long, you are going to collect your thoughts, you’re going to have them on paper, you’re going to be able to look at them and think about them and adapt them and put together a philosophy that you can present to somebody.’ And it was the best advice anybody gave me.”

Lakers formally interview JJ Redick for head coaching job

The Lakers hosted former player and current broadcaster JJ Redick on Saturday in their most formal interview with him to date, with multiple members of the organization speaking to the former Duke star about the team’s head-coaching vacancy.

The step is an important one for Redick, who has been a central figure in the team’s coaching search as an external favorite, a presumed frontrunner after initial contact at the NBA draft combine and now as potentially the final candidate to meet with executive vice president and general manager Rob Pelinka, owner Jeanie Buss and other key Lakers figures.

While some inside the organization have said the team doesn’t necessarily need to hire a coach before the NBA draft on June 26-27, there are major decisions that need to be made regarding the roster, including the possibility of trading up to three first-round picks (No. 17 this year and unprotected firsts in 2029 and 2031) on draft night.

The Lakers previously hosted New Orleans assistant coach James Borrego and Connecticut head coach Dan Hurley. The team offered Hurley the job, but he turned down a six-year, $70-million deal to stay with the Huskies.

The search for Darvin Ham’s replacement has stretched over a month with Pelinka conducting the process first through a series of informal conversations. In addition to Borrego, Hurley and Redick, the team also spoke with a pool of other candidates, including Boston assistant Sam Cassell, Denver assistant David Adelman and Minnesota assistant Micah Nori.

Redick, according to people with knowledge of the situation not authorized to speak publicly, has had multiple conversations with Pelinka since Ham’s firing.

Since the earliest stages of the search, though, Redick was considered a candidate by outside observers. He was briefly linked to the opening in Charlotte before moving to the foreground in the Lakers’ search.

Despite internal pushback the Lakers were conducting an open and wide-ranging search, rival NBA executives repeatedly linked the Lakers to Redick. The team’s pursuit of Hurley, in part, showed that the Lakers’ search extended beyond the known candidates.
Redick, who has built a successful podcast company, co-hosts one show with LeBron James called “Mind the Game,” where the two talk more in-depth about basketball strategy and play-calling.

James, who can be an unrestricted free agent this summer should he opt out of his deal, has not been directly involved in the Lakers’ search.

Redick is currently broadcasting the NBA Finals, and it has been widely speculated the Lakers would wait on him to finish his responsibilities with ESPN/ABC before hiring him as head coach.

However, the team hosted Borrego for in-person interviews two weeks ago and last week shocked the basketball world when their interest in Hurley became public.

With Redick, the Lakers would be gambling not only on a first-time NBA coach but on someone without any meaningful coaching experience at any level. Redick is regarded as a highly analytical thinker with a bright basketball mind. He played for 15 seasons in the NBA, including a stop with the Clippers, where he blossomed into one of the NBA’s best three-point shooters.

He’s the all-time leading scorer at Duke and 22nd all-time in Division I men’s basketball.

Lakers formally interview JJ Redick for head coaching job

The Lakers hosted former player and current broadcaster JJ Redick on Saturday in their most formal interview with him to date, with multiple members of the organization speaking to the former Duke star about the team’s head-coaching vacancy.

The step is an important one for Redick, who has been a central figure in the team’s coaching search as an external favorite, a presumed frontrunner after initial contact at the NBA draft combine and now as potentially the final candidate to meet with executive vice president and general manager Rob Pelinka, owner Jeanie Buss and other key Lakers figures.

While some inside the organization have said the team doesn’t necessarily need to hire a coach before the NBA draft on June 26-27, there are major decisions that need to be made regarding the roster, including the possibility of trading up to three first-round picks (No. 17 this year and unprotected firsts in 2029 and 2031) on draft night.

The Lakers previously hosted New Orleans assistant coach James Borrego and Connecticut head coach Dan Hurley. The team offered Hurley the job, but he turned down a six-year, $70-million deal to stay with the Huskies.

The search for Darvin Ham’s replacement has stretched over a month with Pelinka conducting the process first through a series of informal conversations. In addition to Borrego, Hurley and Redick, the team also spoke with a pool of other candidates, including Boston assistant Sam Cassell, Denver assistant David Adelman and Minnesota assistant Micah Nori.

Redick, according to people with knowledge of the situation not authorized to speak publicly, has had multiple conversations with Pelinka since Ham’s firing.

Since the earliest stages of the search, though, Redick was considered a candidate by outside observers. He was briefly linked to the opening in Charlotte before moving to the foreground in the Lakers’ search.

Despite internal pushback the Lakers were conducting an open and wide-ranging search, rival NBA executives repeatedly linked the Lakers to Redick. The team’s pursuit of Hurley, in part, showed that the Lakers’ search extended beyond the known candidates.
Redick, who has built a successful podcast company, co-hosts one show with LeBron James called “Mind the Game,” where the two talk more in-depth about basketball strategy and play-calling.

James, who can be an unrestricted free agent this summer should he opt out of his deal, has not been directly involved in the Lakers’ search.

Redick is currently broadcasting the NBA Finals, and it has been widely speculated the Lakers would wait on him to finish his responsibilities with ESPN/ABC before hiring him as head coach.

However, the team hosted Borrego for in-person interviews two weeks ago and last week shocked the basketball world when their interest in Hurley became public.

With Redick, the Lakers would be gambling not only on a first-time NBA coach but on someone without any meaningful coaching experience at any level. Redick is regarded as a highly analytical thinker with a bright basketball mind. He played for 15 seasons in the NBA, including a stop with the Clippers, where he blossomed into one of the NBA’s best three-point shooters.

He’s the all-time leading scorer at Duke and 22nd all-time in Division I men’s basketball.

There's no way Eyebrow's happy about this.

This dude cracks me up sometimes…

Free agency hasn’t even started man, what the hell is he talking about?

He said this because Jake Fischer (is this guy even reliable) said "people around the league" he's talked to have said Dlo should just opt in because he's not getting more than what he makes now.

Also Pincus earlier, basically listed out two teams that may be interested which were Orlando and Brooklyn and he only added Brooklyn in there because of the trade deadline this year, which is a totally different situation than signing this guy to a contract.

My daily Dlo hate post:

Remember when this bum during the season while the Lakers are fighting for the playoffs said he struggled against Denver because Ham and Dennis had a relationship and he and Ham didn't? He then proceeds to score 0 points against this same Denver team as Dennis and his great relationship with Ham was no longer on the team.

Get this no accountability, always with an excuse, can't keep his mouth shut having self off this team. The ownership, GM, coach, etc are already a joke and on top of that you put a loser like this in the purple and gold.

Shameful :lol::nthat:

Guaranteed this is how the first 10 min of the recruiting pitch went:

Jeanie: “OMG Andrea, you are sooooooo beautiful! Where did you get your hair done?”

Andrea: “Thank you soooo much Jeanie. I’ve been going to same hairdresser all my adulthood. He’s actually in Jesrsey where we’re from.”

Jeanie: “I was finna say, you would love the guy I go to. He’s in Hollywood off Sunset. I’ve already told him about you and he said he’ll do your hair for half off….its called the ‘Laker friends and family rate.”

Andrea: “Grrrrrrreat! I can tell how good he is by looking at your hair!”

Jeanie: “I love all the work you’ve done to your look too! Did you know I personally know a plastic surgeon who’s the absolute best in the business? He’s from Beverly Hills and he did all the plastic surgery for numerous stars and celebs including myself. He finna do wonders for you. Just let me know lol”

Andrea: “Finna?”

Jeanie: [chuckles] “Oh yea, sorry….This is what happens when you’re around all kinds of star players, celebs, agents, lol….we start to develop our own vernacular.”

Andrea: “I get it. It must be an L.A. thing.”

Jeanie: “trust me honey. You have L.A. written all over you. Have you ever heard of the song “I Love L.A?”

Dan: “I have for sure. I doubt Andrea has.”

Rob: “Here, lemme log on YouTube Music rn and play it for you.”

Dan: “Honey, you down to hear it.”

Andrea: “Maybe later. I wanna know more about Jeanie’s Botox connect in Beverly Hills.

:lol: :lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom