[:: LAKERS 2014 THREAD | POLL: Who Should Coach Next Year? ::]

WHO SHOULD COACH THE LAKERS NEXT SEASON?

• Mike _'Antoni

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stan Van Gundy

• Byron Scott

• George Karl

• Jerry Sloan

• Kurt Rambis

• Nate McMillan

• Doug Collins

• College Coach (Mention Name and School)...

• Total voters
I'm just going to assume that Dwight Howard is a poison, and all these injuries are a lingering effect from that poison.

Hopefully it'll be out of the Lakers' system by next year.

I'm just going to assume that Dwight Howard is a poison, and all these injuries are a lingering effect from that poison.

Hopefully it'll be out of the Lakers' system by next year.
maybe its nash 
nerd.gif

first game back and we lose two key guys

Just to ensure a top 3 pick let Kobe's re - reevaluation go for it another 3 weeks out.

He can come back the last 2 weeks to prove he can at least play a lil bit.

Still baffled they didn't wait at least until the last possible minute to sign him to an extension or at least negotiate knowing this situation was a real possibility. We'd be able to speed up this rebuilding process by at least a full year.

Top 3 pick, Kobe for about half of what he got, space for damn near two max guys this offseason or for sure one this and one next without the need for trades. They dropped the ball on that man.

Last edited:
Just to ensure a top 3 pick let Kobe's re - reevaluation go for it another 3 weeks out.

He can come back the last 2 weeks to prove he can at least play a lil bit.

Still baffled they didn't wait at least until the last possible minute to sign him to an extension or at least negotiate knowing this situation was a real possibility. We'd be able to speed up this rebuilding process by at least a full year.

Top 3 pick, Kobe for about half of what he got, space for damn near two max guys this offseason or for sure one this and one next without the need for trades. They dropped the ball on that man.

If you look strictly from a basketball perspective, $16mil would have been fair market value.

Basketball + Business perspective $23.5mil was fair.

I can be mad that we overpaid by $7mil a year, but I fully understand why he got $23.5mil then $25mil.

Not sure how they settled on the figures he got. But at the same time, you can't go to Kobe Bryant and say, we're offering you 2 year / $20mil. Probably should have offered 2 year / $40mil instead.

Last edited:
If you look strictly from a basketball perspective, $16mil would have been fair market value.

Basketball + Business perspective $23.5mil was fair.

I can be mad that we overpaid by $7mil a year, but I fully understand why he got $23.5mil then $25mil.

Not sure how they settled on the figures he got. But at the same time, you can't go to Kobe Bryant and say, we're offering you 2 year / $20mil. Probably should have offered 2 year / $40mil instead.

I said from the end of last season, a Duncan/KG type contract + extra because of what he's done for us and the money he continues to bring in was fair. $12-16 mil a year would have been fine with me.

Even then it's not the money so much it's the principle of them not even seeing him on the court for an extended period of time to even see if he can play at an All star level after coming off the worst injury you can have as a basketball player. If Kobe had played close to the level he did before the injury, this contract woulf be a lot easier to stomach or even justify. He was a top 5 player at worst last season. Seriously what was the rush, why did it have to get done before Bean ever set foot back on a court in game action?

Last edited:
Even then money so much it's the principle of them not even seeing him on the court for an extended period of time to even see if he can play at an All star lebel after coming off the worst injury you can have as a basketball player. Seriously what was the rush?

Wouldn't have meant a discount if they waited until now to negotiate.

And they weren't letting Kobe leave.

Almost 0% chance the number would be under $16million.

Last edited:
I seriously doubt they would have given him 50 mil with him only playing 6 games before getting hurt again.

A compensation injury was a real possibly as well as him returning back to form. Why not wait until mid-end December to see what exactly you have, especially when it is that type of financial commitment?

By the way, I'm just throwing this out there.

Mitch is holding out for either the Suns, Timberwolves or Wizard pick. And is not accepting the Pacers pick.

Before you say, "MITCH WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING, TAKE THE PICK"

Think about this. What if we get the Wizards OR Suns pick between 19th-23rd.. We also trade Steve Blake, Chris Kaman, Jordan Hill. All for 2nd Round Picks.

Then Mitch takes the 19th pick, the 3- 2nd Round Picks, and somehow trade those 4 picks to get into the lottery for a second time.

Think long term.

WTF are you doing Mitch.

I highly doubt a late teens/early 20s pick and second rounders is going to be enough for a late lottery pick.

No need to be greedy. We need Pau gone like 3 years ago. Get a late 1st rd pick or hell even early 2nd rounder since we won't have to guarantee the salary beyond year 1.

They are going to screw this up. Overvaluing Pau once again while he has a damn groin injury smh. Get while the gettings good.

WTF are you doing Mitch.

I highly doubt a late teens/early 20s pick and second rounders is going to be enough for a late lottery pick.
my thoughts exactly.

chances are anyone who trades for blake, hill or kaman are teams in the playoff race who need depth. 

and more than likely those 2nd round picks are towards the end of the 2nd round. 

at best you can probably package those 2nd round picks for 1 late first round pick to a team who is over the cap and doesnt want to add salary of a 1st round pick. 

Last edited:

Mitch is holding out for either the Suns, Timberwolves or Wizard pick. And is not accepting the Pacers pick.

Think about this. What if we get the Wizards OR Suns pick between 19th-23rd.. We also trade Steve Blake, Chris Kaman, Jordan Hill. All for 2nd Round Picks.

Then Mitch takes the 19th pick, the 3- 2nd Round Picks, and somehow trade those 4 picks to get into the lottery for a second time.

Think long term.
thinking long term is acquiring as many picks as you can and letting the players you draft develop. possibly draft some euros and see if they can develop enough to bring over in a few years or so ( ie. ginobili, scola) 

but this isnt a football or baseball situation. a solid draft pick, and an ideal free agent signing can get us back to prominence almost immediately ( granted the chemistry and coach is right) 

Last edited:
Or management can do what the Pelicans are doing with Pierre Jackson; he was homesick in Europe and the Pelicans don't want to sign him (yet), so he's cooking in the D-League while the Pelicans hold his rights.

Think long term.
thinking long term is acquiring as many picks as you can and letting the players you draft develop. possibly draft some euros and see if they can develop enough to bring over in a few years or so ( ie. ginobili, scola) 
but this isnt a football or baseball situation. a solid draft pick, and an ideal free agent signing can get us back to prominence almost immediately ( granted the chemistry and coach is right) 

There is a such thing as having too many draft picks (if you don't trade some of them).

There's only 9-10 players who play in a rotation. True for almost every team.

Let's say we get the 30th pick from Phoenix. 3 2nd Rounders total for Blake, Kaman, Hill.

Combined with Kelly & Sacre. The 2 1sts, and 3 2nd Rounders. That's 7 players. Someone's ability to develop is done. There will be a few guys who never see the light of day on the Lakers.

If you have Kobe, and another max player, that makes the ability to develop even more stunted for whoever plays behind Kobe, or the next max player.

If you don't believe me on this look at the Cavs. Instead of trying to turn a couple of their picks into an established star (until it was too late) they now have log jams of terrible players everywhere with many more picks on the way.

You guys also NEVER negotiate from the starting point of where you compromise. Let's say we ask for the 30th pick, Suns could decline. Then we end up settling for a 2nd Rounder for Gasol. You start off high because there is interest on the Suns side, so when you compromise, then you pry a 2nd round pick WITH the 30th pick.

Finally I'd take the 16th pick (assuming we get the 22nd from Phoenix and 3 2nd Rounders from other trades, and then move all of them on draft night) over the 30th and four Second Rounders any day of the week.

Last edited:
There is a such thing as having too many draft picks (if you don't trade some of them).

There's only 9-10 players who play in a rotation. True for almost every team.

Let's say we get the 30th pick from Phoenix. 3 2nd Rounders total for Blake, Kaman, Hill.

Combined with Kelly & Sacre. The 2 1sts, and 3 2nd Rounders. That's 7 players. Someone's ability to develop is done. There will be a few guys who never see the light of day on the Lakers.

If you have Kobe, and another max player, that makes the ability to develop even more stunted for whoever plays behind Kobe, or the next max player.

If you don't believe me on this look at the Cavs. Instead of trying to turn a couple of their picks into an established star (until it was too late) they now have log jams of terrible players everywhere with many more picks on the way.

You guys also NEVER negotiate from the starting point of where you compromise. Let's say we ask for the 30th pick, Suns could decline. Then we end up settling for a 2nd Rounder for Gasol. You start off high because there is interest on the Suns side, so when you compromise, then you pry a 2nd round pick WITH the 30th pick.

Finally I'd take the 16th pick (assuming we get the 22nd from Phoenix and 3 2nd Rounders from other trades, and then move all of them on draft night) over the 30th and four Second Rounders any day of the week.
i totally agree, i guess i shouldve also said getting multiple picks over the course of a few years.  sort of what Boston has got going for them. 

since the lakers will spend to sign marquee free agents, we do need to replenish our picks cause some of them will have to be stop gap players

No, you take the Indy pick and PRY our pick next year back.

That way you help set up 2014, AND get back a piece for 2015. (a pick the Suns can afford to let go of beforehand)

Take the Indy pick, let the Suns have Gasol + 3 mid level first round picks on top of all their other talent, let them try to figure out how to keep Bledsoe (gets tougher) and then you wait. If the Suns see the writing, they can't afford to once again have 2 more first round picks next year, plus all those guys, at some point, they have to sell.

Or, they let Bledsoe leave, another piece we might be wanting to add.

Take the Indy pick Mitch. Hard negotiate for our 2015, that's our leverage stance, not flipping all these extra pieces to get back into a 2014 lottery that no one will be a seller in.

No, you take the Indy pick and PRY our pick next year back.

That way you help set up 2014, AND get back a piece for 2015. (a pick the Suns can afford to let go of beforehand)

Take the Indy pick, let the Suns have Gasol + 3 mid level first round picks on top of all their other talent, let them try to figure out how to keep Bledsoe (gets tougher) and then you wait. If the Suns see the writing, they can't afford to once again have 2 more first round picks next year, plus all those guys, at some point, they have to sell.

Or, they let Bledsoe leave, another piece we might be wanting to add.

Take the Indy pick Mitch. Hard negotiate for our 2015, that's our leverage stance, not flipping all these extra pieces to get back into a 2014 lottery that no one will be a seller in.

I would definitely be happy with this.

Assuming they offer our pick back for next year.

But that's why you start high, and scale back.

Back
Top Bottom