[:: LAKERS 2014 THREAD | POLL: Who Should Coach Next Year? ::]

WHO SHOULD COACH THE LAKERS NEXT SEASON?

• Mike _'Antoni

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stan Van Gundy

• Byron Scott

• George Karl

• Jerry Sloan

• Kurt Rambis

• Nate McMillan

• Doug Collins

• College Coach (Mention Name and School)...

• Total voters
It's a business.
It's a career.

It's sports and entertainment as well, but I feel like you guys expect all athletes to only care about helping their teams out and to not care that much about helping their families and friends out.

Just think about it guys.
Would you honestly sit here and say if a man offered you 48 million dollars you would say "nah, jus give me half of that and spread the rest with my coworkers... I'm not selfish."

That's all I'm sayin.

Basketball wise it's very selfish and it's obvious he could care less about helping our free agency situation out in 2014.

But life wise? Would you really not take the deal? Honestly...
i mean how much more does this man need?

if i am at the tail end of my career, hell yeah id take a pay cut to increase my chances of going out like a bawse.

It's hilarious that you would say Jim Buss didn't do this.

I guess Kobe hired Mike Brown too.
Kobe fired him and hired D'Antoni instead of Phil as well.

Jim Buss has done no wrong at all.

Leave him alone, everyone grab Kobe, let's put him in the electric chair for taking a deal that 99% of us would take in a heart beat.

Hilarious.

GOD NO KOBE SIGNED AN EXTENSION
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

I'm hoping it's less than 20 mil a year but that's impossible.

HOW THE **** DO YOU GIVE 20+ mil to a 356 year old who plays NO DEFENSE coming off achilles injury without seeing him play?!!

this is why I wanted to tank, now the lakers are handcuffed to lord kobe for another 3 years.

This ******g sucks.
Jesus H. Christ, I haven't said ANYTHING this damning about Kobe in like 10 g.d. years. If I were to say that exact reply verbatim, one of you insecure types would hack the system and freaking ban me.
well of course we would... you're in no position to call anyone old :smile:

I'll never hate a man for supporting his family.

But don't lie and say Kobe only cares about winning titles.
That's not true, at all... Like it couldn't be more wrong.

We know who the real Kobe Bryant is.
He's an old chucker who plays no defense.
I don't care how efficient he was last year, he's not worth damn near half of the salary cap.
U can't justify this as a basketball move at all.
Business wise, I understand it makes sense. It's a bridge of sellouts.... watching Kobe go for the record and his retirement tour.
It just shows the Lakers care more about $ than winning and that's where my problem lies.

Trust me man. I agree with you, it does show his true colors basketball wise.

I am not disputing your feelings towards that at all my man.

"The reaction amongst Lakers fans is that of excitement, but also some cautiousness with the amount. Here’s something important to remember. The Lakers will never be an under the cap franchise. They will add the pieces necessary to bring a title back to Los Angeles. Will they ever be around $100 million salary like they were last season?

Most likely not.

This franchise will pay the luxury tax when needed and one thing I know with this front office, they do not do this type of extension without a plan in mind. So stay tuned!"

:smh: I misread the contract on Twitter. I was pleasantly surprised that he took 12M per season. Don't know how you can give someone his age 24M per season.

It's hilarious that you would say Jim Buss didn't do this.

I guess Kobe hired Mike Brown too.
Kobe fired him and hired D'Antoni instead of Phil as well.

Jim Buss has done no wrong at all.

Leave him alone, everyone grab Kobe, let's put him in the electric chair for taking a deal that 99% of us would take in a heart beat.

Hilarious.

true story

"The reaction amongst Lakers fans is that of excitement, but also some cautiousness with the amount. Here’s something important to remember. The Lakers will never be an under the cap franchise. They will add the pieces necessary to bring a title back to Los Angeles. Will they ever be around $100 million salary like they were last season?

Most likely not.

This franchise will pay the luxury tax when needed and one thing I know with this front office, they do not do this type of extension without a plan in mind. So stay tuned!"

Whoever wrote this blurb doesn't quite understand the salary cap threshold... or they think the Lakers can load up by trading the players they already have.

I feel like some of you guys (mostly ska) might think this is me just being "pro Kobe" as usual by saying how can you blame him...

But you guys don't know that deep down I'm just as disappointed as you guys. He's been my favorite player for 17 years. I looked up to dude as a kid. I've been rooting for him and the Lakers for a long time.

I'm fully aware of how badly this screws our teams chances of winning the next few years, and I truly am disappointed and distraught at him not taking a bigger pay cut.

Trust me, as a Laker fan this pisses me off. I hate Jim Buss for being such a big Idiot, and I'm mad at Kobe for not caring about winning as much as he claims to care.

I'm right there with you guys.

But putting my feelings as a fan of him, the Lakers, and basketball aside... I can't blame the man for putting his family first and taking a deal that just seems to be offered with no hesitation to him by the owner.

That's all I'm sayin.

I hate that he did it, but how could I blame him?

I look at him differently now, i feel like his words don't mean much anymore as far as winning goes. It sucks. As a fan of his, I am dissapoint... As a fan of the Lakers, this ******g SUCKS. It's horrible. And unless he comes back and wins before he retires it'll ruin his reputation for wanting to win at any cost in my eyes, forever.

But I can't hate him for caring about family more than basketball.

I just personally can't.

It's sad, it's frustrating, it's annoying... But, as a person that's starting to understand how important every dollar is in life... It's understandable.

That's all.

Last edited:
Sooooo what Kobe should have said in this case was "no I don't want 20 a year I'll take 10" even though really the only fa they could get on a max deal is Melo? Why? To somehow show he cares about winning titles? Outside of the draft who were they getting to come in? The back and forth all season has been wild but be realistic. Tanking was and still is probably the best option. We are still gonna be mediocre though most likely. So lets say we get a top 10 pick, resign some of these younger players who won't demand much, get rid of Pau and Nash, and Kobe is still Kobe. They still can compete for a title with the right moves. Even IF Melo came in. Fans and haters alike have had a knack for jumping on Bean but I'm guessing if they have a plan they already let Kobe know it and felt this offer wouldn't handicap that plan. Be optimistic.

Most likely not.

Whoever wrote this blurb doesn't quite understand the salary cap threshold... or they think the Lakers can load up by trading the players they already have.
Pau wow wow yippie yo yippie yay :nerd:

Most likely not.

Sounds like something Irsay or Gilbert would write

Really what this move shows is no one wants to play with Kobe next year.
Lakers FO had to know they were gunna swing & miss in the offseason,
end up with the same team as this year and look mighty embarrassed while doing it.

If that's the case, signing Kobe doesn't change anything because no one worth having would come here anyways...
(it seems people don't wanna play with him... jeez, I wonder why :rolleyes )

It's not the end of the world I guess.
Just wish we were more committed to the tank game this year.
and no 1st round pick next year cause of Steve Nash is very troublesome but I think they're might be some protection on it.

Hopefully Pau continues to trade well and some Eastern conference teams gets desperate enough to throw us picks for him.

I'm just pissed because we should've began the rebuild process last year, now it's not gunna happen til 2015/2016 at the earliest (if everything goes well)

Last edited:
let me start off saying im a Kobe fan first and a Laker fan second... The ONLY reason i started to like the Lakers was cuz they drafted Kobe in 96. I was enamored by a hs kid being so good at the guard position. BUT with that said I was EXTREMELY disappointed when the amount of Kobes contract was announced. i firmly believe them signing him so early allows Buss to carry out his plan, BUT i dont see it. I have faith but I just dont see it right now. One max contract, and filler. Kobe/Melo and garbage arent winning anything. Hopefully HOPEFULLY Buss has something up his sleeve. WITH ALLLLLL THAT SAID, i am stoked for Kobe being a Laker for life. Wouldnt want it any other way in the end.

Back
Top Bottom