LAKERS OFFICIAL END OF SEASON THREAD: IT WAS FUN! THANKS FOR THE RUN LAKERS! LAKER FANS STAND UP!

I think they would make the deal. Ben hasn't worked out for them and he has a problem with the coach.

But damn that contract puts us in a world or hurt. We wouldn't be able to make a run at anybody.

there's no way in hell the nuggets trade camby. he's too valuable to them on defense.

i wouldn't mind camby though lol.

Looks like ron is out of the picture...

Any team that wants to pry Ron Artest from the Kings at the trade deadline will have to take on Kenny Thomas' long-term obligations. At $8.6 million in 2009-10, Thomas would be no better than the fifth-highest-paid Knick that season. Welcome aboard, Kenny! NY Newsday

We don't need that contract...
"Garnett is very good, but if he had the pressure on him to score like Kobe does every night, there's a difference," said Jerry West. "Kevin is going to be a great, great player every night in all facets of the game. "But the other one has a little bit different kind of cachet to him. You're going to pay to see Kevin Garnett play, but you're just going to see a tremendously good basketball player." Boston Globe

Jerry West: "The degree of excitement with Kobe Bryant is like going to an action movie instead of seeing a great film. Kevin Garnett would be in a great film and Kobe Bryant would be the action-hero figure. He's going to supply the jumps off the tops of bridges, dunks, going through 10 people, driving to make a layup. "Kevin Garnett is just going to be the steady, steady, steady guy there every night. But I think from an all-around standpoint, Kobe is the best." Boston Globe

Asked if he would choose an action hero like Bryant over a steady player like Garnett all the time, West said, "That is if you have good players with him. And [the Lakers] have some pretty darn good players. They have a good young team, and they're going to get better. With me, it all depends on what market you're in. Kobe Bryant would be hard not to want to have on your team." Boston Globe

Prior to the arrival of Garnett, the prospect of Bryant leaving LA for less glitzy Boston presented an intriguing possibility. Whenever reports of irreconcilable differences between Bryant and the Lakers surfaced, Celtics supporters wondered "what if?" What if one of the NBA's most exciting players switched sides in one of the NBA's most storied rivalries? Boston Globe

For financial reasons above all else, West believes Bryant will remain with the Lakers, though the season started with the guard seemingly headed elsewhere. During last season's playoffs, Bryant told reporters he wanted West back in the Lakers' front office or he would request a trade. With Bryant still dissatisfied about the direction of the Lakers, a deal appeared likely. The Chicago Bulls surfaced as the most serious candidate. But Bryant has a no-trade clause and almost $90 million remaining on his contract. Boston Globe

On Kobe: "He's not going to be traded, period," said West. "Somebody's made a bigger story out of it than it is. Whoever would want him, they would have to decimate a franchise to get him." Boston Globe

This is old news to Lakers fans, but sometime in May, Los Angeles Lakers guard Kobe Bryant was videotaped at a shopping center expressing his disgust over the Lakers decision to not trade third-year center Andrew Bynum for New Jersey Nets point guard Jason Kidd. "Andrew Bynum? What the (expletive)?" Bryant said in the clip. "Are you kidding me? Andrew Bynum? (Expletive) ship his (butt) out. Are you kidding me? We're talking about Jason Kidd. But they didn't even want to do that. Now we're here in this (expletive)-up position." Contra Costa Times

Kobe on Andrew Bynum: "The best thing about it is he's put in so much work over the summer and now," Bryant told reporters after the Lakers' Christmas Day victory over Phoenix. "The biggest thing for him is he's seeing results. The sky's the limit for him." Wow, how do you think Bryant feels now? He demanded to be traded because his Lakers wouldn't trade Bynum. Now, Bynum has become the help Bryant craved. Contra Costa Times

On Bynum: "He's going to be a dominant big man in the NBA, and there are very few of those," Indiana Pacers president Donnie Walsh -- who reportedly tried to acquire Bynum in a trade involving Jermaine O'Neal -- told the Los Angeles Times. "He's getting better every day, and he has since he got in the league. I wouldn't limit him in any way. He's like a big baby. You can just see him grow. The great wars are going to be between Greg Oden and Bynum, between Yao Ming and Oden, between Yao and Bynum." Contra Costa Times

Our Lakers played magnificent last night...defense....offense...but I observed really that Kobe's teammates are pretty much aloof of him when high fiving during timeouts..BUT that's what Kobe wants for his teammates, night in and night out...BE CONSISTENT MOST OF THE TIME!!!

That being said, I expect to be play about .700 ball while he's out, and still be fine for at LEAST a second round meeting with someone.
Iiiiiiiiii dunno about the 700 part. This is our worst part of the schedule that he's missing. Even with Bynum the next 4 would be realtough, without him we're really gonna be scrambling. I guess we just hope for the best and hope it's 4 - 5 and not 8 weeks. He needs those Kobe genesto heal himself.

Feels good being a Laker fan right now.

This team is playing their butts off, and I appreciate their play.

[h1]Bynum takes step back instead of stepping up[/h1]
template_bas

template_bas

Celtics' physical defense and double teaming threw Lakers' young center off his game, ending a stretch of strong performances.

By Mike Bresnahan, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
January 1, 2008

It was a Sunday night in L.A., and yet there was traffic everywhere.

Andrew Bynum couldn't shake Kendrick Perkins, Kevin Garnett and a slew of help in the lane as the Boston Celtics showed why they have allowed a league-low 86.8 points a game.

Hard work

click to enlarge
Bynum had only eight points and two rebounds in 22 minutes in the Lakers' 110-91 loss on Sunday. He took two shots, had two turnovers and eventually fouled out.

After a string of reputation-boosting games, this was not one of his finest. Coach Phil Jackson noticed, too.

"The physical nature of the game, guys bodying him off his position, those are things he'll work with," Jackson said. "He's going to learn how to find space out there, and as he gets stronger and knows how to use his position, he'll do better at that."

Bynum rarely was able to set up shop down low and couldn't get free for alley-oop dunks. Nor did the screen-and-roll with him have its desired effect for the Lakers.

In Bynum's defense, he seemed to get lost in the shuffle early. Kobe Bryant made three of 15 shots and had no assists in the first half. Lamar Odom missed six layups in the first half, by Jackson's count.

"They definitely played physical," Bynum said. "But what they really [did] is they flooded the side with help and double-teamed, and then we missed a bunch of easy open looks."

Derek Fisher always manages to come up with the proper perspective, continually finding a way to portray what unfolds in the Lakers' camp, day after day, win or lose, chaos or no chaos.

He was no different after Sunday's game.

"It was set up just right," he said. "We've been playing well. They played great on their West Coast trip and I think it was set up just right for a great match-up.

"But so many times in boxing and in playoff games in the NFL, all the hype, and the product isn't quite what all the hype put it up to be. Tonight was a bit of a dud in terms of the anticipation and the excitement about this game. We kind of came out and laid an egg and really didn't live up to what we've established."

Kidd to Lakers for Brown, Farmar, Radmanovic?
Sunday, Dec 23, 2007 2:00 pm EST

Quoting an NBA source, Peter Vecsey of the New York Post reports the Los Angeles Lakers are looking to acquire Jason Kidd from the New Jersey Nets.

According to the report, the Lakers will send a couple draft picks, Kwame Brown's expiring contract ($9M), Jordan Farmar ($1M) and Vladimir Radmanovic ($5.6M with an additional $19.2M over the next three seasons) to New Jersey.

Not unexpectedly, the Nets aren't interested in assuming Radmanovic's long-term guarantee. There's nothing not to love about Farmar, yet New Jersey already has a promising, young guard in Marcus Williams.

Source: New York Post
im not gettin my hopes up but man if that deal goes through
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by tupac003

Originally Posted by LamarOwnsem

Damn, the hate for Odom came out of nowhere. All this "Odumb" nonsense is really unnecessary.
I like lamar. I am just sick and tired of him being in and out of games. He wow's us one game and then the next 3 games he scores 8 and gets 4 rebounds. It has to stop. He is talking all of this all star mess and he isn't going to come close with games like that.

exactLy...u put the best tupac...think about it ownsem...he was the centerpiece for the shaq trade...he hasnt done squat since then i wouLdve traded odumbfor kwame instead of caron...caron is more of a pippen type than odom

I also like how our PG situation turned around. I remember Steve Blake being a possible Laker once and good thing it didn't happen. And we're blessednow Smush is gone.

^^ He only based it on scoring, so it's not relevant. If you keep reading the article, he breaks down the categories and ranks them that way.

Quote:
Oh, I definitely wouldn't move Bynum for Jermaine. No way. I wasn't saying before that Bynum is terrible; I was just saying that the statement that he's better than Shaq was at his age is ridiculous. I like Bynum. I think the Lakers front office is hyping him too much (no Kidd deal last year because the Nets wanted Bynum?!), but I do like the kid.

I think he could be a solid contributor, but I think the Lakers FO thinks he could be a perennial All Star, and I just don't see it.
TEAM LAKERS
TEAM DODGERS
TEAM L.A. KINGS

^ You know as much as it hurts to say this I thought about him for a second....he could be better then kwame.

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

Originally Posted by tupac003

Did anybody see what he just said?

WE NEED PJ AND C WEBB NOW!

How many player can you have on a roster during the regular season?

i'm all for pj...he fit in well with the triangle with time and is a veteran the lakers can depend on.
and the max you can have is 15 i believe (12 active during games).
We have 14 on the roster and we can always drop coby carl down to the d leauge. I really believe we should sign both because that just makes us an evendeeper team.

If Kobe Bryant still wants to get traded to Chicago, he might want to bear in mind that he would be leaving behind an accomplishedcoach. The Lakers' 106-78 running over theBulls on Sunday night at Staples Center was the latest testament to Phil Jackson's managerial touch. The Bulls dropped to 2-7, with Scott Skiles'players having openly acknowledged trouble dealing with the distractions of Bryant trade rumors. Jackson believes his Lakers - 6-3 and now donewith this opening stretch of seven games against 2007 playoff teams - have left their scary shadows back around Halloween. Orange County Register

Bryant wasn't saying anything that strongafter the Lakers' most decisive victory ever over Chicago, but he allowed that he is "very impressed" by his team and singled out20-year-old center Andrew Bynum's hard work as a reason. "Our guys are really jelling," Bryant said. The Lakers shook off a sluggish first halfbehind energy bursts from Bryant (18 points) and 20-year-old Jordan Farmar (14 points, career-high eight assists). Orange County Register

The injury-prone Kwame Brown suffered amoderate sprain of his left ankle and a moderate sprain of his left knee on the same first-quarter play when Ben Wallace rolled into the outsideof Brown's leg. Bryant charged into Wallace for an offensive foul, knocking Wallace back into Brown with 8:28 left in the first quarter. Orange County Register

Brown will be further evaluated in the comingdays but will not go with the team for its upcoming three-game trip. The Lakers expect to get starting power forward Ronny Turiaf (moderatelysprained right ankle) back Tuesday in Indiana. Brown wears a brace over his ankle that was surgically reconstructed May 29 and said he was "thankful"for it Sunday night. Brown said the knee was worse than the ankle, but he was able to walk out of the arena. Orange County Register

Bryant sarcastically responded to a reportabout him buying Michael Jordan's house in Chicago by saying: "I actually thought about purchasing it and decided not to. I like Oprah (Winfrey)'spenthouse." ... Asked if Chicago was Bryant's preferred destination, Jackson said: "There's a suspicion it was." Orange County Register

Face it, if the Lakers trade Bryant, they immediatelybecome as intriguing as the Utah Jazz, a franchise as sterile as the state it plays in. Depending on the deal, they actually could be a betterteam. No way, though, are they as fun a team. And this game was a layup for us, Bryant's current team against his former future one. This was Jackson thenand now. This was Bryant as - more literally than ever - the second coming of Michael Jordan. Orange County Register

"We haven't talked about it in several daysnow," Skiles said. "But we talked about it incessantly for weeks. Even within the team we talked about every day." The Lakerstalked about it, too, in case you forgot about Bryant's radio rants and Jerry Buss' lulu in Honolulu. They talked about it more Sunday, during themorning shootaround. Jackson said he discussed with Bryant the need to avoid trying to do too much right at the start. Orange County Register

The Bulls were without injured forward LuolDeng, a development Skiles said robbed his team of its "small chance to do something against Kobe." He started Griffin and assigned himto Bryant, calling the move "a little bit unfair to Griff." Orange County Register

Kwame Brown has suffered moderate sprains to both his leftknee and left ankle and will not return to tonight's game against Chicago. InsideSoCal

Did Bryant see the irony of a28-point Lakers win (over the Bulls)? "No," Bryant said, "I don't really think about it. Just another game." His teammateshave had to endure the Bryant saga, so it didn't come as a surprise when they were asked about Bryant wanting to play for the Bulls. "I don'tthink he wants to go anywhere," forward Lamar Odom said. "As far as I'm concerned, he's happy here." Press-Enterprise

Though Bryant has neverpublicly stated it, the Bulls seemed to be his choice after he made trade demands over the summer, and Jackson agreed, "There's asuspicion it was." The Bulls players mentioned in the trade rumors -- Luol Deng, Ben Gordon, Tyrus Thomas and Andres Nocioni -- admitted it affected theirplay. Many observers wondered if the trade talks had an effect on the rest of the Lakers. Press-Enterprise

Jackson said things settleddown for his young team while in Las Vegas for the last exhibition game, when Bryant didn't make the trip because of an injured wrist. Jacksonsaid that due to "the lack of affection or lack of interest Kobe had for a period of time, they went through a little lull. 'Is he with us or is henot?' " Press-Enterprise

I think if Kwame can be re-signed for another 2 years - cheap, IMO he's a solid backup for bynum.

Mind you, I said backup. His defense and body is what we need, we all know he's lost on offense, but we don't need him to score. People keep sayingwe're waiting for kwame to bust out and have superstar like numbers .... that will never happen kwame is a backup, that's all he'll ever be.

what other big body backup can we have for bynum? Mihm - hell no. Name a center we can get cheap?

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Kobe glad he wasn't traded, is 'happy' with Lakers[/h1]
By Chris Broussard
ESPN.com
(Archive)

Updated: December 13, 2007, 7:29 PM ET

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- It's time to do away with the image of Kobe Bryant playing under protest. After completing a Lakers practice Wednesday afternoon, Bryant said he's glad he hasn't been traded.

"I'm happy to be here," Bryant said. "My guys and I -- we have such a tight bond. Business and basketball sometimes can cloud things, but when you get here in your element and you're around your teammates and just having a good time with them and thinking about them and not about the business of the game, that's when it becomes fun."

Bryant wouldn't go as far as to rescind the well-publicized trade demand he made in May. When asked if he no longer wanted the Lakers to trade him, he essentially gave a no comment, saying, "I don't get into that stuff."

Nonetheless, the admission that he is happy to still be a member of the Los Angeles Lakers signifies a massive change in Bryant's thinking and may indeed be analogous to a repeal.

dropQuote.gif
Business and basketball sometimes can cloud things, but when you get here in your element and you're around your teammates and just having a good time with them and thinking about them and not about the business of the game, that's when it becomes fun.
dropQuoteEnd.gif

-- Lakers guard Kobe Bryant

The Lakers' success certainly has something to do with Bryant's change of heart. Despite the absence of several key players due to injury, the club takes a 12-8 record and three-game win streak into tonight's game against San Antonio.

Their list of victims is as impressive as any in the league, as they've beaten Phoenix, Utah, Detroit, Golden State, Houston, Chicago and Denver twice.

"I don't think the wins we've had are a fluke whatsoever," Bryant said. "In our locker room, we don't feel like the wins we've had are flukes. We've had to grind some out and go into tough places and deal with injuries and illnesses. We feel pretty good about where we're at."

Asked if he believes the Lakers are legitimate contenders in the Western Conference, he said:

"We're very young and we have a lot of growth to do and a lot of maturing to do," he said. "But we're okay."

There is a sense of relief around the Lakers organization right now, if not because the storm surrounding Kobe is over then at least because it's subsided substantially. In hindsight, Bryant believes all the drama that engulfed himself and the club throughout the off-season and training camp has actually become a positive. It was a harsh reminder that just making the playoffs is not enough.

"Sometimes you have to kind of put a fire to them a little bit so that they understand that we're playing for higher stakes," Bryant said of his teammates. "Once they understood that and saw me come into training camp saying 'Look, I'm tired of playing for the playoffs. I'm not playing for that. I don't know what you guys are playing for, but I'm not playing for that.' Once they understood that 'Hey, this guy's head is on a championship level, this is where we need to get,' then it kind of ignited another side of them and they started looking at this thing a little differently.

"I think it changed their perspective a little bit and kind of shifted their focus to 'Okay, he's playing for a championship so this is what we need to do."

But Bryant's teammates aren't the only ones who've undergone an attitude adjustment. The other Lakers say Bryant's been more sociable than ever off the court, joining teammates for lunch before road games and things like that.

"When a team goes through stuff -- whatever it is -- it either grows further apart or closer together," Luke Walton said. "Our team's been through a lot, and I think it's definitely brought us all closer together. Kobe is a huge part of the team so the only way we can get closer is if he gets closer and he's definitely gotten closer to a bunch of the guys."

Harmony in Laker-land?

Apparently so.

20,000 G's by month's end.
pimp.gif

He plays this way 3 more years, then a couple of back to earth type years, he gonna be in some elite company.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by B1LLY HOYLE

Trade Odom for Artest.

Let Sasha and Kwame walk...go after Elton Brand.

Fish
Kobe
Artest
Brand
Bynum

Looks decent to me.
What is going to make brand leave the clips?

Back
Top Bottom