Lawrence Taylor = Best to play the game

Originally Posted by 80JerryRice80

Honestly, some of you guys need to chill with the Moss or Colston being the GOAT talk. I mean, I don't think you guys realize how good Rice really was, He came from a D 1AA school(yes moss did too) BUT Rice won 3 superbowl rings and played in 4, Moss played in 1 and won ZERO. Rice broke the TD record, in less than a complete season(Rice would have set an almost unbreakable record, had he played one full season that year). Moss broke it in one full season, and it was only one more TD than RIce had his record breaking season. Not to mention that Colston is too young to be mentioned as a great right now, talk to me in 10 years. Moss is a #%*%%#% +$* hole for playing and acting the way he did in Oakland for 2 years. I want you to find two years in the middle of Rice's career where he played as @++!$@ as Moss, and acted like that big of an +$* hole.

I don't think you understand how great Colston is....he's on pace for scoring over 400+ TD's in his career. Jerry Rice was once asked who helooked up to as a kid, and he replied "Marques Colston." There's already talk about cloning Colston's DNA like Barbaro. He'srevolutionized the WR position, and there is a huge HUGE gap between him and the rest of his peers.

After it's all said and done. ( Defensive wise)

ray.lewis(4).jpg

Originally Posted by Q46totheE

Honestly, some of you guys need to chill with the Moss or Colston being the GOAT talk. I mean, I don't think you guys realize how good Rice really was, He came from a D 1AA school(yes moss did too) BUT Rice won 3 superbowl rings and played in 4, Moss played in 1 and won ZERO. Rice broke the TD record, in less than a complete season(Rice would have set an almost unbreakable record, had he played one full season that year). Moss broke it in one full season, and it was only one more TD than RIce had his record breaking season. Not to mention that Colston is too young to be mentioned as a great right now, talk to me in 10 years. Moss is a #%*%%#% +$* hole for playing and acting the way he did in Oakland for 2 years. I want you to find two years in the middle of Rice's career where he played as @++!$@ as Moss, and acted like that big of an +$* hole.

I don't think you understand how great Colston is....he's on pace for scoring over 400+ TD's in his career. Jerry Rice was once asked who he looked up to as a kid, and he replied "Marques Colston." There's already talk about cloning Colston's DNA like Barbaro. He's revolutionized the WR position, and there is a huge HUGE gap between him and the rest of his peers.
I never said colston wasn't good, I simply said its too early to tell. TALK TO ME IN 10 Years, We will see if Colston's name is worthy ofentering this discussion.

Originally Posted by Q46totheE

I don't think you understand how great Colston is....he's on pace for scoring over 400+ TD's in his career. Jerry Rice was once asked who he looked up to as a kid, and he replied "Marques Colston." There's already talk about cloning Colston's DNA like Barbaro. He's revolutionized the WR position, and there is a huge HUGE gap between him and the rest of his peers.
I never said colston wasn't good, I simply said its too early to tell. TALK TO ME IN 10 Years, We will see if Colston's name is worthy of entering this discussion.

blahblah.gif

Colston > Rice.

Originally Posted by BlackMamba08

After it's all said and done. ( Defensive wise)

ray.lewis(4).jpg
laugh.gif
As GREAT as Ray Lewis is...LT $$**+ all over him and it painsme to say that.
ohwell.gif

Not many players could take and 11 on 11 sport like football and make it all about them LT could do that, Barry Sanders could do that...

LT revolutionized the way the LB position is played. No other single player in NFL history troubled players on the opposite side of the ball the way he did.

Jim Brown was a man amongst boys. Watch some film of that guy....it was like it wasn't even fair. He retired early too.....imagine if he would have kept itgoing.

Jerry Rice although he may not be the most athletically gifted WR of all time utilized his work ethic and determination to excel and become the greatest toever play at that position.

IMO those are the greatest players of all time, you can't really argue with those if you know football.

Randy Moss is the most athletically gifted WR to ever play the game IMO. But he will never be considered better that Jery Rice because of his lack of effort.If he had Rice's work ethic, or even TO's, I don't think there would be any question. But once his talent starts to run low he will start todecline significantly but who knows. Thats just my take.

rice never saw the crazy coverage moss sees.

28.gif

Now back to the original topic. Nobody, and I mean nobody was more feared on the defense than LT. I wish some of you dudes watched football during this eraso you would know what I'm talking about. He dominated like no other defensive player before him or even after him for that matter. You had to know whereLT was on the field and account for him at all times.

Although Rice is definitely the greatest receiver of all time, you would have to take in account that he had Montana and Young as quarterbacks, thatdoesn't take away from his greatness, but you do have to take that into account. Just ask yourself this question, whether your a GM or just a fan for aparticular team, would you rather have had LT or Jerry Rice playing for your team, nuff said.

Originally Posted by Deuce King

rice never saw the crazy coverage moss sees.

28.gif

Now back to the original topic. Nobody, and I mean nobody was more feared on the defense than LT. I wish some of you dudes watched football during this era so you would know what I'm talking about. He dominated like no other defensive player before him or even after him for that matter. You had to know where LT was on the field and account for him at all times.

Although Rice is definitely the greatest receiver of all time, you would have to take in account that he had Montana and Young as quarterbacks, that doesn't take away from his greatness, but you do have to take that into account. Just ask yourself this question, whether your a GM or just a fan for a particular team, would you rather have had LT or Jerry Rice playing for your team, nuff said.

I would take LT. IMO Pass Rush is the most important skill a team needs and he was the best to lace them up at it (sorry Reggie White).

So therefore Best Player + Most Important Skill = who I would rather have. LT FTW
pimp.gif

Can anyone name another player who could change the game from the defensive side of the ball like LT? I am not talking about racking up 180 tackles in a seasonI am talking about forcing turnovers and making plays BEHIND the line of scrimmage or commanding TRIPLE TEAMS
sick.gif

all while coked up
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Nov. 27, 1988 -- The Giants were hurting. Quarterback Phil Simms was injured and so were Harry Carson and Carl Banks, Pro Bowl linebackers last season. Taylor himself was severely hurt, with a torn deltoid muscle in his right shoulder. But with his three teammates out for tonight's game against the 9-3 Saints in New Orleans, L.T. knew he couldn't sit out with the 7-5 Giants fighting for a playoff berth.
[table][tr][td][/td] [td]
s_lt.jpg
[/td] [/tr][tr][td][size=-2]Lawrence Taylor earned the respect of Giants coach Bill Parcells for playing hurt.[/size][/td] [/tr][/table]
Playing in excruciating pain and with his shoulder lacking its usual strength, all L.T. did was make three sacks, four other tackles and force two fumbles. With the defense preventing the Saints from reaching the end zone for the first time all season, the Giants registered a 13-12 victory.

"When you see a guy play like Lawrence did tonight, it picks everyone up," said Giants linebacker Gary Reasons.

After the victory, Giants coach Bill Parcells went over to L.T. and they touched foreheads. "He knew and I knew, but no one else knew what he had gone through," Parcells said.

The coach told his star player, "You were great tonight."

L.T. replied, "I don't know how I made it."

While Taylor's coach and teammates were praising him, the linebacker was back in the trainer's room. "I wanted to cry because I felt like somebody had torn my shoulder off," he said.

here's an exerpt from his ESPN Classic Bio, its a good read (link below)
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/classic/bio/news/story?page=Taylor_Lawrence

Lawrence Taylor has been called a lot of things. The best defensive player in NFL history. L.T. Reckless. Superman.

c_lt4_i.jpg

Taylor was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1999.
But from his first days of high school football in Williamsburg, Va., he wouldn't allow anybody to call him one thing: Larry.
That was a name for golf pros or bowlers or anyone whose life's work included the element of restraint. Lawrence Taylor did not become the most feared player in pro football by letting himself be controlled.

"I guess that I'm just a plain wild dude," he said early in his career.

Taylor's motto seemed to be live fast, perhaps die young, and leave a trail of battered quarterbacks in your wake. He was technically listed as an outside linebacker, but he was more like a force of nature. After being unleashed on the NFL in 1981, Taylor's unparalleled will and wildness spurred the New York Giants to two Super Bowl titles and himself into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

In 1986 he recorded a career-high 20½ sacks and was the league's MVP, becoming the first defensive player to win the award since Minnesota's Alan Page in 1971. Taylor didn't just play the game, he revolutionized it. The greatest linebackers had always played the middle. Guys like Ray Nitschke and ##!* Butkus, who patrolled the trenches like Dobermans.

Taylor created the outside linebacker position in his own image. He was 6-foot-4 and 240 pounds of athletic fury, a Butkus with wheels. Fast enough to cover receivers, strong enough to bully offensive linemen, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound. And heaven help any quarterback who got in his way.

With his 142 sacks, L.T. ranks among the all-time leaders.

"Lawrence Taylor, defensively, has had as big an impact as any player I've ever seen," former Raiders coach John Madden said. "He changed the way defense is played, the way pass-rushing is played, the way linebackers play and the way offenses block linebackers."

Taylor played and lived on the edge. For all his physical gifts, his greatest strength may have been his mind. Taylor was an adrenaline junkie who willed himself to do things mere mortals would not consider.

"What makes L.T. so great, what makes him so aggressive, is his total disregard for his body,"' said Bill Belichick, the Giants' defensive coordinator during Taylor's prime.

laugh.gif
you know lt was high that game.

Back
Top Bottom