Learning to Skateboard...Advice? Best Equipment? Brands?

I'm thinking of learning to ride a skateboard.  I am thinking of buying all my parts separately because I want to create a custom board (I like art and creativity).  I want to ride around so I need something that's good enough for that and learn basic tricks like manuals, ollie, and kickflips.  I don't know how to ride a skateboard, but I'm decent at balance and coordination.  I ride a ripstik and can ollie and do some other tricks on that.  I know the motions are different though.

What's the best brands for beginners (trucks, wheels, decks, etc.)? Does matter what brands I get as a beginner?  Any good sites to check out?

I'm thinking of learning to ride a skateboard.  I am thinking of buying all my parts separately because I want to create a custom board (I like art and creativity).  I want to ride around so I need something that's good enough for that and learn basic tricks like manuals, ollie, and kickflips.  I don't know how to ride a skateboard, but I'm decent at balance and coordination.  I ride a ripstik and can ollie and do some other tricks on that.  I know the motions are different though.

What's the best brands for beginners (trucks, wheels, decks, etc.)? Does matter what brands I get as a beginner?  Any good sites to check out?

if you actually want to learn... dont worry about equipment or brands... just go out and get the $25 deck from Target and fool around on it until you get a feel for it... if after a few months you decide you still really want to get into it then order a complete deck from a skateboard supply website like ccs.com or your local skate shop...

if you actually want to learn... dont worry about equipment or brands... just go out and get the $25 deck from Target and fool around on it until you get a feel for it... if after a few months you decide you still really want to get into it then order a complete deck from a skateboard supply website like ccs.com or your local skate shop...

laugh.gif

How old are you?
I've been told you're supposed to learn at a young age, because it's really hard as you get older.

How old are you?
I've been told you're supposed to learn at a young age, because it's really hard as you get older.

I am thinking of buying all my parts separately because I want to create a custom board (I like art and creativity)

Your gonna die

I am thinking of buying all my parts separately because I want to create a custom board (I like art and creativity)

Your gonna die

decks: shorty's, element, chocolate, enjoi (7.5 x 30-31 is best size for street)

trucks: krux, tensor, destructo, grind king (leave em a lil loose for carving or tigther for tricks like ollies)

wheels: spitfire...

bearings: speed demon, lucky, black panthers

risers: doh dohs

*dont buy a slick.

decks: shorty's, element, chocolate, enjoi (7.5 x 30-31 is best size for street)

trucks: krux, tensor, destructo, grind king (leave em a lil loose for carving or tigther for tricks like ollies)

*dont buy a slick.

Originally Posted by JJ1223

Originally Posted by JJ1223

^he doesn't need to go that cheap, just get a powell mini logo deck or something along those lines.

the pop and concave are night and day between a department store deck and true 7-ply canadian maple deck, not to mention bearings and trucks.

you could get some off-brand abec-5 bearings and some venture trucks for the low as well.

worst thing you could do as a beginner is go out and by a fully-loaded complete with no clue of how to actually ride. aside from the poser jokes, it's a waste of good hardware.

Originally Posted by JuJu

*dont buy a slick.
no offense but this sounds kinda hypebeast. Your deck and truck selections are decent, but wheels, anything at the skateshop would suffice, spitfire is overrated like pig, and bearings, china bones and bones swiss crush all of the above, risers imo don't even help, it comes down to whether or not you know how to land with minimal impact. I've snapped more decks with risers on because it elevated my board even higher.

Back
Top Bottom