Learning to Skateboard...Advice? Best Equipment? Brands?

Originally Posted by Jiggaman414

Originally Posted by heavenlee777

How old are you?
I've been told you're supposed to learn at a young age, because it's really hard as you get older.

TK started skating at 20-21...
Nah he was like 16 bruh

Originally Posted by Jiggaman414

Originally Posted by heavenlee777

How old are you?
I've been told you're supposed to learn at a young age, because it's really hard as you get older.

TK started skating at 20-21...
Nah he was like 16 bruh

Originally Posted by JuJu

decks: shorty's, element, chocolate, enjoi (7.5 x 30-31 is best size for street)

trucks: krux, tensor, destructo, grind king (leave em a lil loose for carving or tigther for tricks like ollies)

wheels: spitfire...

bearings: speed demon, lucky, black panthers

risers: doh dohs

*dont buy a slick.

Do not listen to anything said in this list. Element decks are horrible, Enjoi as well, all the trucks listed are the worst ever and bearings are whatever. Get some DLX wood or even Kayo wood, which is DGK, Expedition, or Organika. Truck wise, get Indys, Thunder or Venture. Krux, Tensors, Destructos and the Grind Kings are the worst. No need for risers and the wheels shouldn't be a big problem since you won't be carving or power sliding.

decks: shorty's, element, chocolate, enjoi (7.5 x 30-31 is best size for street)

trucks: krux, tensor, destructo, grind king (leave em a lil loose for carving or tigther for tricks like ollies)

*dont buy a slick.

Do not listen to anything said in this list. Element decks are horrible, Enjoi as well, all the trucks listed are the worst ever and bearings are whatever. Get some DLX wood or even Kayo wood, which is DGK, Expedition, or Organika. Truck wise, get Indys, Thunder or Venture. Krux, Tensors, Destructos and the Grind Kings are the worst. No need for risers and the wheels shouldn't be a big problem since you won't be carving or power sliding.

shouldve started when you're a kid. It took me a few months in 6 grade to get down the basics. Just get out there and practice, try a light board with a lot of pop.

shouldve started when you're a kid. It took me a few months in 6 grade to get down the basics. Just get out there and practice, try a light board with a lot of pop.

Originally Posted by DimSum9

Thanks. When I was a kid skateboards were just becoming popular on the west coast. I'm pretty sure they didn't make my size then either.  It's just for fun though-I'm not trying to compete in the x-games or anything.  I just like to try and learn new things for fun.

Originally Posted by DimSum9

Thanks. When I was a kid skateboards were just becoming popular on the west coast. I'm pretty sure they didn't make my size then either.  It's just for fun though-I'm not trying to compete in the x-games or anything.  I just like to try and learn new things for fun.

dont go to zumiez...go support your local skateshop. The local skateshops are the ones giving back too your skateboard community. Most those workers at zumiez dont know anything. Go to your local skateshop talk to the people in there they will know whats up.

dont go to zumiez...go support your local skateshop. The local skateshops are the ones giving back too your skateboard community. Most those workers at zumiez dont know anything. Go to your local skateshop talk to the people in there they will know whats up.

Since your beginner their isn't a "Best brand or Equipment" for you. Don't get a wall mart board but don't get a pro board either.

Just get a local skate shop board, but if you really want a brand i guess id go with enjoi or element.

Since your beginner their isn't a "Best brand or Equipment" for you. Don't get a wall mart board but don't get a pro board either.

Just get a local skate shop board, but if you really want a brand i guess id go with enjoi or element.

Go with shop decks for now. There cheaper than the pro models. As for trucks get venture hi's. There light

Go with shop decks for now. There cheaper than the pro models. As for trucks get venture hi's. There light

I've been skating for 6+ years and i can tell you just get a blank deck like a Powell. Bones Reds bearings, and destructo/venture trucks will do. Wheels get a slightly big size like 54mm so you can learn basic moves, u can get smaller ones later. Above all be prepared to fall, scrape, cut and bruise your body daily. When u learn a trick though its all worth it. Since i got older though i have put longboard wheels (70mm) on my skate deck just to cruise around campus

I've been skating for 6+ years and i can tell you just get a blank deck like a Powell. Bones Reds bearings, and destructo/venture trucks will do. Wheels get a slightly big size like 54mm so you can learn basic moves, u can get smaller ones later. Above all be prepared to fall, scrape, cut and bruise your body daily. When u learn a trick though its all worth it. Since i got older though i have put longboard wheels (70mm) on my skate deck just to cruise around campus

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

*dont buy a slick.

this. element boards are soo bad, the concave and the overall shape is
indifferent.gif
. and i thought shortys is already defunct? with muska being on another company and all

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

*dont buy a slick.

this. element boards are soo bad, the concave and the overall shape is
indifferent.gif
. and i thought shortys is already defunct? with muska being on another company and all

dont go to zumiez...go support your local skateshop. The localskateshops are the ones giving back too your skateboard community. Mostthose workers at zumiez dont know anything. Go to your local skateshoptalk to the people in there they will know whats up.

word, don't shop at zumiez, places like that are killing real skateshops, and not cause the prices are cheaper, but because most people who wear skate stuff, don't actually skate.
a local shop will be able to serve you better, also, some shops have their own decks, which are usually cheaper, $25-30 or so. also, someone said get an 7.5, most people i know haven't riden boards that small since '97, and unless you have size 6 feet or are tryin to learn switch tres, its pretty small. for your first board, i'd start around 8 or 8 1/8. and as far as high or low trucks, i prefer high, i have friends that prefer low. Most brands besides venture don't do that tho. wheels and bearrings, i'd say bones is your best bet for quality and price
i will say, i've been skating for 13 years, and most peoples 'brand loyalty' has more to do with that brands team/style/advertising campaign/image then it does performance.

dont go to zumiez...go support your local skateshop. The localskateshops are the ones giving back too your skateboard community. Mostthose workers at zumiez dont know anything. Go to your local skateshoptalk to the people in there they will know whats up.

word, don't shop at zumiez, places like that are killing real skateshops, and not cause the prices are cheaper, but because most people who wear skate stuff, don't actually skate.
a local shop will be able to serve you better, also, some shops have their own decks, which are usually cheaper, $25-30 or so. also, someone said get an 7.5, most people i know haven't riden boards that small since '97, and unless you have size 6 feet or are tryin to learn switch tres, its pretty small. for your first board, i'd start around 8 or 8 1/8. and as far as high or low trucks, i prefer high, i have friends that prefer low. Most brands besides venture don't do that tho. wheels and bearrings, i'd say bones is your best bet for quality and price
i will say, i've been skating for 13 years, and most peoples 'brand loyalty' has more to do with that brands team/style/advertising campaign/image then it does performance.

Originally Posted by JayeRell

I noticed Venture sells low and high trucks. Does it matter which ones I get?

Rule of thumb is get lows if you are a street skater and get highs if you skate transitions/vert. I get lows cause it's easier to snap the board.

Originally Posted by JayeRell

I noticed Venture sells low and high trucks. Does it matter which ones I get?

Rule of thumb is get lows if you are a street skater and get highs if you skate transitions/vert. I get lows cause it's easier to snap the board.

I tried out some decks today and I can say that a 7.5 is uncomfortable. I actually liked the 7.87 the best and the 7.75 second. The 8 was too wide for my comfort. I wear a 10 womens (8.5 mens). I will likely go with the 7.75 because I can't seem to find the 7.87 size anywhere, but zumiez and I wasn't impressed with their pricing.

Back
Top Bottom