LeBron 21

I had a similar problem where I found them to fit a little different. I just went TTS. The snug pairs break in nicely.

Why do some people say the Dragon Pearls run small tho? Yeah some say go up half a size on the melo melo dragon pearls

image.jpg

Posting this here because it seems like most ppl copping lebrons are hoopers still actively playing. If there's a more appropriate thread lmk thanks in advance

Long story short, I had arthroscopic knee surgery to repair my torn meniscus 10 years ago when I was 19. Did PT, got back into regular activities within about 4-6 months, all good since then. Couple months ago I started feeling knee pain again, got an MRI, torn meniscus again. Plus cysts/fluid build up and other wear and tear around the cartilage. I'll probably get arthroscopic knee surgery again as well. I feel more apprehensive about returning to play basketball again in the future. Shooting around will be fine of course. But the impact of full speed games every week during the warmer seasons, I dunno anymore. Does anyone have experience with similar re-injury and recovery? At 29 it feels sad to think about hangin em up for good but I don't want to deal with longer term problems like arthritis or a knee replacement.
Tore my right ACL and meniscus 16 yrs ago when I was 34. Surgery followed by months of PT and training led to a full recovery. Was back playing ball and snowboarding within a year. Minor re-tear of the meniscus 3 years post surgery. Could still play ball and snowboard - just needed to slightly cut back the length of time and frequency of playing/boarding, ice more often, and occasionally lay off my knees for a few days or a week when my knee got grumpy. Doctor suggested no surgery unless it felt like it was getting worse. I have followed up with surgeon every 2-3 years since and he has continued to say I don't need surgery. My knee is more prone to get grumpy as I get older, but it's manageable. Hasn't kept me from missing significant amount of playing ball or snowboarding.

This last summer (at 50) I tore the meniscus in my left knee and got surgery this fall. Rest, PT and training the last few months and my knee feels great and my doctor has cleared me for normal activities. He says even though I'm 50, I can keep playing ball and snowboarding. His recommendation is to keep working out to keep my knee and body strong, dial back length of time playing ball/boarding, and try to avoid back to back days of high intensity activities that hit my legs - leg days/playing ball/boarding. I'm currently working back into game shape and planning to play pickup and mens league in the next couple of months. Hoping to snowboard this winter and early spring if we have enough snow.

I hope you don't have to hang em for good. With proper treatment, good training, icing, and tweaking how you play (length, intensity, frequency, less reckless drives to the hoop, etc.), you likely can play for many more years. As I've aged I have honed my ball handling, passing and shooting skills and dialed back hard drives and banging down low to limit the wear and tear on my body. It has helped.

I'm pulling for you. Nobody wants to quit what they love and the prospect of doing that at such an early age sucks. Good luck!

I never had knee problems like some of yall but my ankles were really bad. My ankle mobility now is total crap. Can't hit *** to grass on squats because of it since I can't get knee over ankles. Tore ligaments multiple times on my right ankle. I have to be careful sometimes if I'm sitting long periods I can't have my ankle in a weird position or it'll lock up and basically sprain itself lmao. Just gotta play low to the ground from now on so I don't risk being in crutches especially now that I'm working in the hospital.

I’ve done my meniscus a few times. I got it scoped twice, last time doctor shot some fluid in my knee and I got a knee brace. Honestly I wish a got brace earlier, my knee hurts less but it’s still prone to f*** ups once a year.

Tore my right ACL and meniscus 16 yrs ago when I was 34. Surgery followed by months of PT and training led to a full recovery. Was back playing ball and snowboarding within a year. Minor re-tear of the meniscus 3 years post surgery. Could still play ball and snowboard - just needed to slightly cut back the length of time and frequency of playing/boarding, ice more often, and occasionally lay off my knees for a few days or a week when my knee got grumpy. Doctor suggested no surgery unless it felt like it was getting worse. I have followed up with surgeon every 2-3 years since and he has continued to say I don't need surgery. My knee is more prone to get grumpy as I get older, but it's manageable. Hasn't kept me from missing significant amount of playing ball or snowboarding.

This last summer (at 50) I tore the meniscus in my left knee and got surgery this fall. Rest, PT and training the last few months and my knee feels great and my doctor has cleared me for normal activities. He says even though I'm 50, I can keep playing ball and snowboarding. His recommendation is to keep working out to keep my knee and body strong, dial back length of time playing ball/boarding, and try to avoid back to back days of high intensity activities that hit my legs - leg days/playing ball/boarding. I'm currently working back into game shape and planning to play pickup and mens league in the next couple of months. Hoping to snowboard this winter and early spring if we have enough snow.

I hope you don't have to hang em for good. With proper treatment, good training, icing, and tweaking how you play (length, intensity, frequency, less reckless drives to the hoop, etc.), you likely can play for many more years. As I've aged I have honed my ball handling, passing and shooting skills and dialed back hard drives and banging down low to limit the wear and tear on my body. It has helped.

I'm pulling for you. Nobody wants to quit what they love and the prospect of doing that at such an early age sucks. Good luck!
Good stuff here. especially the bolded part, this is something you have to realize when you play against younger people who may still be sponsored by mom and dad, and aren't worried about being out of work for weeks at a time.

I know the discussion has been about knee injuries, but at 26 I ruptured my achilles playing in Kobe’s, a week and a half before Kobe ruptured his. At that age I elected not to get surgery, and let it reattach by getting a downward cast and readjusting every six weeks. I went to rehab for a month and started rehabbing on my own. After a year I was back to playing ball. I had to deal with the mental roadblock of thinking about my movements and dialing down my basketball activity. I went to playing five days a week, to 1-2 times a week and no more than a hour and a half. Went from being a slasher to shooter, and defensively my lateral quickness was a step slower than what it was. I didn’t care if 9 people were on the court and I was the 10th, you will have to wait on my warmup stretches to be concluded. Any tweaks or pains, I am done for that day and I have learned to listen to my body. I played 7 years post injury then when Covid happened and gyms were shut down, I gave it up. To ramp myself to where I was before the shutdown, I did not want to put in that time and effort. I started running and have averaged 3-4 half marathons a year, to make sure I am getting my cardio fill. I do miss ball though. These young thundercats are all 6’4 125 lbs but got bunnies and a ratchet. I can’t do anything with that lol. I only played one way and that was 110% effort all possessions. I was fortunate I did not have any knee injuries, but I do feel I am healthier and don’t feel broken like I did when I played 5 times a week. I replied because I started wearing Lebron’s after my injury and I always felt like I had maximum protection.

I know the discussion has been about knee injuries, but at 26 I ruptured my achilles playing in Kobe’s, a week and a half before Kobe ruptured his. At that age I elected not to get surgery, and let it reattach by getting a downward cast and readjusting every six weeks. I went to rehab for a month and started rehabbing on my own. After a year I was back to playing ball. I had to deal with the mental roadblock of thinking about my movements and dialing down my basketball activity. I went to playing five days a week, to 1-2 times a week and no more than a hour and a half. Went from being a slasher to shooter, and defensively my lateral quickness was a step slower than what it was. I didn’t care if 9 people were on the court and I was the 10th, you will have to wait on my warmup stretches to be concluded. Any tweaks or pains, I am done for that day and I have learned to listen to my body. I played 7 years post injury then when Covid happened and gyms were shut down, I gave it up. To ramp myself to where I was before the shutdown, I did not want to put in that time and effort. I started running and have averaged 3-4 half marathons a year, to make sure I am getting my cardio fill. I do miss ball though. These young thundercats are all 6’4 125 lbs but got bunnies and a ratchet. I can’t do anything with that lol. I only played one way and that was 110% effort all possessions. I was fortunate I did not have any knee injuries, but I do feel I am healthier and don’t feel broken like I did when I played 5 times a week. I replied because I started wearing Lebron’s after my injury and I always felt like I had maximum protection.
Tbh I didn't even know your Achilles would reattach on its own without surgery.

Tbh I didn't even know your Achilles would reattach on its own without surgery.

Athletes go for the surgery because it is obviously a shorter recovery, but the re-rupture rate was a just a couple percentage points difference. There was no hurry to bounce back and if I did not have to be cut open, I wasn’t going to go down that path

Really reassuring to hear your stories, especially those of you older than me and experiencing injuries later in life. I'm probably going to go for the arthroscopic surgery surgery because I've noticed some other day to day things where the pain's interfered. I even tried lightly shooting around two nights ago and that's a no go. I can't chase down my rebounds, and I definitely can't hit every shot :lol: Less frequent hoops will be just as tough of an adjustment as no hoops, but it's a lot better than none. I'll set my sights to that.

I ramped up exercise in 2023. Joined a gym and was doing some kettle bells and HIIT. Was running 3-4 miles a week after not having run since 2020. Then ball at least 1x a week full speed games, 2x shootarounds - would often do running and shootarounds same day. I can only guess that the overuse from like March - October sped up what would've probably happened sooner or later anyway. Doc said meniscus tears were probably developing or already there before I actually felt it.

Saw the $100 deal on the Tahitian and Freshwaters today at my local Shoepalace, thought about doubling up but passed.

Don’t plan on buying as many shoes this year… might even downsize my collection.

Saw the $100 deal on the Tahitian and Freshwaters today at my local Shoepalace, thought about doubling up but passed.

Don’t plan on buying as many shoes this year… might even downsize my collection.
This was my last multiple purchase of shoes last year so I won’t be purchasing any material things anymore for me. That’s my resolution this year and beyond as I’ve bought enough shoes clothes and collectibles last year. I’ll save money and only buy necessities.

Not one store here between JD/Dsg/champs/foot got the NXXT until I called my secret weapon hibbets. Now need the what the’s from DSG since I’ve got birthday bucks

I never had knee problems like some of yall but my ankles were really bad. My ankle mobility now is total crap. Can't hit *** to grass on squats because of it since I can't get knee over ankles. Tore ligaments multiple times on my right ankle. I have to be careful sometimes if I'm sitting long periods I can't have my ankle in a weird position or it'll lock up and basically sprain itself lmao. Just gotta play low to the ground from now on so I don't risk being in crutches especially now that I'm working in the hospital.
I had bone spurs in my ankles from spraining my ankle so much playing in college and last year I broke my ankle bad and has to get surgery to remove the bone spurs. It’s been over a year and I am just now getting back to where I can sprint full speed while playing even though I’ve been going hard at the rehab which my doctor said would only take 1-2 months. My ankle mobility still isn’t great but I’ve been doing exercises for it and what helps me squatting is to elevate my heals by putting a plate underneath, even then I can only do front squats rn. I still don’t think I’ll ever get all my quickness back and I can’t play full speed everyday. Injuries suck

Back
Top Bottom