Lebron and his "posse"

In October 1999, these words came out of his mouth:

"I don't mean to say [that] as a snide remark toward a certain population in our society, but they have a limitation of their attention span, a lot of it probably due to too much rap music going in their ears and coming out their being."

OK. Let that one slide. Chalk it up as generational hate. Cultural Alzheimer's.

Then…

In October 2005, these words came out of his mouth:

"I think it's important that the players take their end of it, get out of the prison garb and the thuggery aspect of basketball that has come along with hip-hop music in the last seven or eight years."
:smh: Got damn Phil. But yall dudes are defending him? Ok.

Again, the BIGGEST issue is Phil called those dudes a POSSE. A posse is a group of dudes that just hang around, eating up scraps. That is NOT what those dudes are to LeBronzea

Perhaps, obviously If Phil has that stigma it's worse than the stigma Lebron has.

We'll see what happens December 7th, or even before than on this whole possegate issue though.

Phil just reduced his friends that are successful and accomplished at this stage down to negative influence, time wasting yes men. Stop focusing on just the word, pay attention to the context. He doesn't say this about a popular white athlete. Same folks that don't see how thug being used in the media is racist. No **** black people have used these words before in a positive connotation, that's the most worthless argument ever. That being the case, folks should stop tripping when white people use the n word. It's a term of endearment to us right?

Have you ever thought maybe you are the one who is reaching ?

Maybe you are focusing too hard on a word that serves little purpose on the overall context of his statement. He never implied that his posse were a "negative influence, time wasting yes men"... You did !

Have you considered Phil Jackson's own history on the use of this word?

Either way I'm out of this thread argument, got better **** to do

Perhaps, obviously If Phil has that stigma it's worse than the stigma Lebron has.

We'll see what happens December 7th, or even before than on this whole possegate issue though.
"Perhaps,"[emoji]129300[/emoji] I felt the same way about Bill Cosby until......lololol

Last edited:
"Perhaps,"[emoji]129300[/emoji]

There you go again. Totally dismissed everything I said, and focused on strictly the "perhaps" part. What are you trying to imply by that. Perhaps clarification would be better as opposed to emojis.

Let's just focus on the perhaps part instead of the "obviously if Phil has that stigma it's worse than the stigma Lebron has" part though.

Last edited:
There you go again. Totally dismissed everything I said, and focused on strictly the "perhaps" part. What are you trying to imply by that. Perhaps clarification would be better as opposed to emojis.

Let's just focus on the perhaps part instead of the "obviously if Phil has that stigma it's worse than the stigma Lebron has" part though.
You missed the edit.

And you missed the obviously Phil having that stigma would be worse than Lebron having the sensitive stigma part though lol.

Anyhow the posse thing is a dead issue to me. Really could care less about what Phil, Lebron, or Maverick Carter have to say on it at this point through the media or twitter or any of that.

They're all in that same NBA circle, so they have access to each other communication wise or can get access to eachother if they wanted. They'll be in the same arena December 7th so they'll have access to each other in a personal setting. It just seems silly on either side if they're going to continue to just make statements through the media and avoid communicating directly.

Phil said his thing in that interview publicly which set his posse remarks up for criticism. Lebron and Maverick Carter responded publicly. It's no need to further drag it out publicly to me.

Last edited:
And you missed the obviously Phil having that stigma would be worse than Lebron having the sensitive stigma part though lol.

Anyhow the posse thing is a dead issue to me. Really could care less about what Phil, Lebron, or Maverick Carter have to say on it at this point through the media or twitter or any of that.

They're all in that same NBA circle, so they have access to each other communication wise or can get access to eachother if they wanted. They'll be in the same arena December 7th so they'll have access to each other in a personal setting. It just seems silly on either side if they're going to continue to just make statements through the media and avoid communicating directly.

Phil said his thing in that interview publicly which set his posse remarks up for criticism. Lebron and Maverick Carter responded publicly. It's no need to further drag it out publicly to me.
Donald Trump was just elected president, not long after a white racist owner was forced to abdicate his team. Race is firmly on the table, so I hope that it only goes away after white male privilege is eliminated.

Last edited:
I think Phil being in NBA inner circles solidifies Brin's point.

You know they're out here making moves. Why diminish them to a posse?

Also, fake outrage is a term thrown around way too much.

Is it fake outrage? Or just multiple people having similar viewpoints on a situation?

Is it fake outrage? Or just multiple people having similar viewpoints on a situation?
It's so dismissive. It kills the chances of any meaningful conversation before the conversation begins.

I really hope we all learn to listen to and respect one another more.

I think Phil being in NBA inner circles solidifies Brin's point.

You know they're out here making moves. Why diminish them to a posse?

On the fake outrage part. It's fake outrage to me. If they don't talk it out or Lebron and Maverick Carter don't make any attempt to confront Phil on it when the opportunity is there, it'll only further solidify that to me.

It's probably not fake outrage to you and a bunch of other heads on here though, so it's not my place to dismiss how you or whoever else feels on it. Just cause I feel it's fake outrage doesn't minimize whatever reaction you have towards it. You have your reasoning, I have mine.

On the posse diminishing part, its going to happen to anyone who benefits off someone. Maverick Carter or that World Wide Wes cat or anyone in Lebrons inner circle benefited off knowing Lebron and being close to him. Obviously they still gotta go out there and produce and display their worth, but being Lebrons boy and getting their foot in the door easier off that connect might have some people trivializing them. Probably is frustrating and maybe is unfair. Them having that easier path might seem unfair to those who had to work way harder though but the resentment in that part is silly.

For the posse thing though, I just saw it as Phil referring to them as his boys, buddies, homies etc and don't see the intent there. If people don't want to give him the benefit of the doubt off prior comments, that's fine. But I don't see it with this one.

Does anyone remember when Mitt Romney showed up at a gathering for impoverished black children, then greeting them with, "where are my dogs at?!"

On the fake outrage part. It's fake outrage to me. If they don't talk it out or Lebron and Maverick Carter don't make any attempt to confront Phil on it when the opportunity is there, it'll only further solidify that to me.

It's probably not fake outrage to you and a bunch of other heads on here though, so it's not my place to dismiss how you or whoever else feels on it. Just cause I feel it's fake outrage doesn't minimize whatever reaction you have towards it. You have your reasoning, I have mine.

On the posse diminishing part, its going to happen to anyone who benefits off someone. Maverick Carter or that World Wide Wes cat or anyone in Lebrons inner circle benefited off knowing Lebron and being close to him. Obviously they still gotta go out there and produce and display their worth, but being Lebrons boy and getting their foot in the door easier off that connect might have some people trivializing them. Probably is frustrating and maybe is unfair. Them having that easier path might seem unfair to those who had to work way harder though but the resentment in that part is silly.

For the posse thing though, I just saw it as Phil referring to them as his boys, buddies, homies etc and don't see the intent there. If people don't want to give him the benefit of the doubt off prior comments, that's fine. But I don't see it with this one.

For sure.

You make some good points. It just boils down to how each individual person internalizes it.

You're probably the type that can take people ragging on you heavy... But not everyone has the same type of mindset.

No party is wrong though.

Some people don't mind. Others feel like in a system of white supremacy, never let anything slide.

For sure.

You make some good points. It just boils down to how each individual person internalizes it.

You're probably the type that can take people ragging on you heavy... But not everyone has the same type of mindset.

No party is wrong though.

Some people don't mind. Others feel like in a system of white supremacy, never let anything slide.

Fair enough. I can respect that completely.

I get how some want to look at it as Phil is being condescending and then take the next step to racist with his word usage when talking about a black player but given he been using the word posse and taking the entire interview in to context and not cherry picking to me its clear he's not based off that.

Look at the names dropped and dissed; Pat Riley, Pop, and LeBron. It should be clear as day what Phil is doing and it's not him racially offending one dude. While he may be a grumpy old white man stuck in a certain mindset this is son throwing shade on any coaches, execs, and players that were or currently considered the best. Something Phil has done many times.

To me, those other quotes by Phil are far more offensive and racially charged.

It's politically correctness and overly sensitive behavior being validated. We live in an era where that crybaby reaching is acceptable. This is the same dude who showed his tendencies over on the court trash talk though (to his credit his team came back down 3-1) but it showed a repeating pattern of his sensitivity.
But he stands up like a black man for social causes, unlike those who were considered better players, especially by those who looked up to that sort of image.
You mean when he follows Melo's lead?

Nobody really denouncing Bron's efforts to speak on injustices to our ppl.

To me this is not that fight.

Last edited:
I get how some want to look at it as Phil is being condescending and then take the next step to racist with his word usage when talking about a black player but given he been using the word posse and taking the entire interview in to context and not cherry picking to me its clear he's not based off that.

Look at the names dropped and dissed; Pat Riley, Pop, and LeBron. It should be clear as day what Phil is doing and it's not him racially offending one dude. While he may be a grumpy old white man stuck in a certain mindset this is son throwing shade on any coaches, execs, and players that were or currently considered the best. Something Phil has done many times.

Are you suggrsting tnat melo is a bigger name, then having more to lose than LeBron? He takes a risk through standing up and speaking out while being the best in the game, regardless of who suggests what. There hasn't been an mba player since Kareem to take a socio political stance, with that sort of cache. Say what you will about his on court antics, but LeBron is doing it. Phil Jackson is a relic, an ex hippy who thinks he knows what the answer is, bit he is wrong, dead wrong.

Last edited:

Are you suggrsting tnat melo is a bigger name, then having more to lose than LeBron?
No. I'm stating a fact.

he follows Melo's lead
When it comes to those issues.

He takes a risk through standing up and speaking out while being the best in the game, regardless of who suggests what. There hasn't been an mba player since Kareem to take a socio political stance, with that sort of cache.
Yeah, I know Melo took that stance and risk several times.

If he hasn't positioned himself as a leader in the NBA making sociopolitical statements I don't know who has.

Last edited:
I didn't find it offensive but I'm not in LeBron's position. I'll take his word for it.

Cats are too "Oh my god the PC police are here smh everybody gets offended so easily now" without trying to understand why the person was offended.

No. I'm stating a fact.
When it comes to those issues.
Yeah, I know Melo took that stance and risk several times.

If he hasn't positioned himself as a leader in the NBA making sociopolitical statements I don't know who has.
Not knocking what Carmelo has done, but I disagree with you. LeBron is the bigger name, then has much more to lose by speaking out. The hoody shot in Miami, the I can't breathe tee, LeBron is not afraid and deserves props.

Last edited:
Bigger name and has done half as much.

Not really risking a lot.

Son legit pleaded ignorance about the Rice shooting issue. Wasn't really anywhere to be seen. If you gonna give him credit for what he's done it won't be hard at all to call him out for not doing nearly enough.

You say he ain't afraid but keep mentioning he's the bigger name and has more to lose then look at the list of things he's done. C'mon now.

Last edited:

Son legit pleaded ignorance about the Rice shooting issue. Wasn't really anywhere to be seen. If you gonna give him credit for what he's done it won't be hard at all to call him out for not doing nearly enough.

You say he ain't afraid but keep mentioning he's the bigger name and has more to lose then look at the list of things he's done. C'mon now.
You are comparing the two, trying to quantify how much either has done, and that is counterproductive. Who cares who has done more? Both have done SOMETHING when others in the recent past have done very little, to nothing. The Tamir Rice issue was bad, but the stop snitching vid was as well. That said, LeBron James being the champion does have the bigger profile, especially being the best player in the league, making more endorsement money than anyone playing today, so of course he has more to lose. Both are brave doing what they are doing.

You are comparing the two
Not anymore I'm not.

I aint even mention Melo in that last post.

You claim there hasn't been a NBA player that hasn't taken a sociopolitical stance since Kareem until LeBron. That's false but even after I look at the list you posted in over here like really that's the stance you talking about?

Its nice to see what little he's done but dude is like an ant in Kareem's shadow especially given what's going on today.

To say he dropped the ball on the whole Rice issue is an understatement. Isn't something that should be overlooked.

When you bring up LeBron in this light my reaction is do more.

Last edited:
MY guess is Lebron and Kaep have done more than u guys

Not anymore I'm not.

I aint even mention Melo in that last post.

You claim there hasn't been a NBA player that hasn't taken a sociopolitical stance since Kareem until LeBron. That's false but even after I look at the list you posted in over here like really that's the stance you talking about?

Its nice to see what little he's done but dude is like an ant in Kareem's shadow especially given what's going on today.

To say he dropped the ball on the whole Rice issue is an understatement. Isn't something that should be overlooked.

When you bring up LeBron in this light my reaction is do more.
Of course he could do more, perhaps he will, but he is doing something, and is also political. He is a better example than the last two so called best players in the NBA, much better.

Back
Top Bottom