Lebron James from jersey #23 to #6?

From DimeMag.com
NBA / Feb 16, 2009 / 11:59 am
[h2]David Stern Should Retire No. 23[/h2]
By Aron Phillips

723_jordan_white_big.jpg
The G.O.A.T.

In an interesting article by the Cleveland Plain Dealer, they brought up the fact that LeBron James might be switching his number in the near future. I know what you're thinking. It's not because the Knicks have already retired a No. 23, because they haven't. But after an amazing gold medal campaign, LBJ has grown to love No. 6. So much so in fact, that during a game in late December, James warmed up for a Cavs game wearing a jersey with No. 6 and later wore it on the bench during the game.
Wearing No. 6, though, has become somewhat standard for James. Ever since his triumphant summer wearing the number for Team USA - which James has said was the best experience of his career - he wears the number during practices and workouts as a homage to that gold-medal effort and all the work that went into it. Often when he gives autographed jerseys as gifts to friends or special causes these days, he'll sign an Olympic No. 6 jersey.

"If the NBA retired 23 because of Michael (Jordan) like baseball did with Jackie Robinson (42), I would definitely switch it. Maybe I would someday, we'll see."

Intrigued by this idea, I did a little digging. On April 15, 1997, Robinson's No. 42 was retired by Major League Baseball, meaning that no future player on any major league team could wear it. At the same time, players currently wearing No. 42 were allowed to continue wearing it, thereby grandfathering the number's retirement. Today, the only player left is the Yankees' Mariano Rivera.

So what do you think? With Jordan finally being included on the Hall of Fame ballot this year, I think it would be a great gesture for David Stern and the League to retire MJ's 23 a la Robinson in '97. The only guys it would affect are: James (Cavs), C.J. Watson (Warriors), Stephen Graham (Pacers), Marcus Camby (Clippers), Devin Brown (Hornets), Quentin Richardson (Knicks), Louis Williams (Sixers), Jason Richardson (Suns) and Kevin Martin (Kings), with Q-Rich, J-Rich and K-Mart all being Jordan Brand guys, selected by MJ himself.

Bron's been wearing #6 on the bench? Never noticed
ohwell.gif

I know this post was made regarding Lebron's #6, but in response to the article's question.... NO, i don't think they should retire #23. Off thetop of my head I can think of two numbers that are retired league-wide - Jackie Robinson and Wayne Gretzky.

Jackie Robinson's retirement is a historical statement, honoring something that transcended the game itself... it wasn't about baseball, it was abouthistory.

Gretzky's number retirement I may not agree with as much, but at least in Grezky's case there is absolutely no argument that he is the greatest playerever. No argument at all. He was a man among boys within his sport. He basically owns the hockey record book.

So what is the case for MJ? Yes, ALMOST everyone considers him the GOAT but definitely not all. Very strong cases are made for Wilt, Magic, Oscar, Kareem andso forth (and not lame homer arguments, real legit arguments). MJ may have been the most "popular" (by pretty much any measure you can think of)hands down but I just don't think that's a reason to retire someone's number. Really, I think retiring MJ's number is just a slap in the faceof the all-time greats of the past... just because they didn't have the media, technology, David Stern, and the overall worldwide interest to bolster theircase like MJ did.

Wow, slow blog day if this is what this guy is writing.
laugh.gif
Why retireMJ's number and not Bill Russell or Kareem or Magic or Bird or anyone else. Despite what we all think of MJ, it's not happening and the NBA has nevergiven one hint that it would.

Oh and Jackie Robinson has NOTHING to do with Michael Jordan.

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

Wow, slow blog day if this is what this guy is writing. Why retire MJ's number and not Bill Russell or Kareem or Magic or Bird or anyone else. Despite what we all think of MJ, it's not happening and the NBA has never given one hint that it would.

Jackie Robinson has NOTHING to do with Michael Jordan.
Those were pretty much my first two thoughts. Jackie Robinson means more to the game of baseball than Michael Jordan means to basketball.

Originally Posted by outacontrol music

6 because of how many championships Mike won.

And 23 = 2x3 = 6?

Wow, slow blog day if this is what this guy is writing. Why retire MJ's number and not Bill Russell or Kareem or Magic or Bird or anyone else. Despite what we all think of MJ, it's not happening and the NBA has never given one hint that it would.

I think the writer just wanted an example to get his point across.

So what is the case for MJ? Yes, ALMOST everyone considers him the GOAT but definitely not all. Very strong cases are made for Wilt, Magic, Oscar, Kareem and so forth (and not lame homer arguments, real legit arguments). MJ may have been the most "popular" (by pretty much any measure you can think of) hands down but I just don't think that's a reason to retire someone's number. Really, I think retiring MJ's number is just a slap in the face of the all-time greats of the past... just because they didn't have the media, technology, David Stern, and the overall worldwide interest to bolster their case like MJ did.
Wow, Agree kind of, I mean I like the whole " Jersey Number Retired by the Whole NBA" Thing, but you have a very good point at it beinga slap in the face of those that preceded MJ.

BUT, MJ to me, became somewhat bigger than the NBA, If you can really do that, He owned the league for a good 6-8 year stretch, he's a cultural icon and hedid some things on the floor that were almost incomparable to the things that Big O, Kareem, and Wilt did. ( That last statement is pretty weak since ihaven't watched any Big O, Kareem and Wilt games
tongue.gif
)

They can, do they have to? Not really....

If they do, they should allow the current players who wear the number, keep it.

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

2³ x 2/3 rounded down + 3 - 2 = 6.
eek.gif

Kobe changed his number first...
nerd.gif

yeah, first he wants to participate in a dunk contest now he wants to change his number. I think Lebron is trying to be the next Kobe..... NEVA!

Originally Posted by 1and12

Originally Posted by outacontrol music

6 because of how many championships Mike won.

And 23 = 2x3 = 6?

I think the writer just wanted an example to get his point across.

So what is the case for MJ? Yes, ALMOST everyone considers him the GOAT but definitely not all. Very strong cases are made for Wilt, Magic, Oscar, Kareem and so forth (and not lame homer arguments, real legit arguments). MJ may have been the most "popular" (by pretty much any measure you can think of) hands down but I just don't think that's a reason to retire someone's number. Really, I think retiring MJ's number is just a slap in the face of the all-time greats of the past... just because they didn't have the media, technology, David Stern, and the overall worldwide interest to bolster their case like MJ did.
Wow, Agree kind of, I mean I like the whole " Jersey Number Retired by the Whole NBA" Thing, but you have a very good point at it being a slap in the face of those that preceded MJ.

I agree 100%. I mean there were players with more championships then him and even better stats then him. I dont think you can retire a players number justbecause he was EXTREMELY popular (grant it i know he is the best player to play, IMO) but like ^ said, if you dont think the likes of Jerry West, Magic, Kareemdon't deserve such treatment, then you are sadly mistaken. On top of all this, Jackie Robinson got his number retired because he was the first BLACK playerin the MLB, i think thats pretty unique; compared to what michael did which was just win, as sooooooooooooo many others have done before him.

Originally Posted by 1and12

BUT, MJ to me, became somewhat bigger than the NBA, If you can really do that, He owned the league for a good 6-8 year stretch, he's a cultural icon and he did some things on the floor that were almost incomparable to the things that Big O, Kareem, and Wilt did. ( That last statement is pretty weak since i haven't watched any Big O, Kareem and Wilt games
tongue.gif
)
I don't really disagree with you (MJ was obviously SPECTACULAR in what he did and his prime is only comparable to Wilt's prime...except MJactually won titles).....that said, however, if you look at it really objectively, what did MJ do that Kareem didn't (pretend you didn't really get tosee either, since most of us didn't get to see Kareem in his prime).

Based on the hardware and the #s:
#1 career total points
#1 career minutes played
#3 career blocks (but remember that blocks weren't even counted until his fifth year. He would be #1 easily (he's only about 650 behind Hakeem)
#4 career rebounds
19 all star selections (most in history)
ROY
6 MVPs (most in history)
8 NBA finals appearances
6 NBA championships
11 All-Defensive selections
15 All-NBA selections (10 first team, 5 second team)
Undeniable offensive AND defensive prowess (like MJ)
Arguably the single greatest basketball move ever - the Skyhook

Again, I'm NOT trying to argue Kareem > MJ or anything like that. What I'm saying is that if you DIDN'T see them play and you just looked at the"accomplishments" Kareem is RIGHT up there with MJ. Point is MJ didn't really "accomplish" anything unique that no one else did.There's a player that actually has more numbers AND hardware than MJ had... most of us just didn't get to enjoy watching him play.

For a "cultural icon" perspective, yes MJ has a good case, but as I said MJ also benefitted from being at the right place and perfect time (Nike,adverstising, media, technology, Stern, a long stretch with no comparable superstars like Magic and Larry where he basically ran the league on his own)...along with, of course, being one helluva basketball player (and that's an understatement).

Originally Posted by tmoney85

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

2³ x 2/3 rounded down + 3 - 2 = 6.
eek.gif

Kobe changed his number first...
nerd.gif

yeah, first he wants to participate in a dunk contest now he wants to change his number. I think Lebron is trying to be the next Kobe..... NEVA!

please stop

Back
Top Bottom