Lebron James from jersey #23 to #6?

Question about Jordan's jersey being retired in Miami. Is Michael's Bulls jersey hanging up there or do they have his name on a Heat jersey?

I hope they do!
smile.gif

This explains why lebron was wearing #6 earlier this season, I remember watchen the pregame and noticing the #6

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

Originally Posted by outacontrol music

Seriously though, would they really retire MJ's number and not Wilt or Bill Russell's?

I see your point, but in all honesty, Jordan was revolutionary. Up until his reign, the NBA was dominated by big men and for the most part, were its stars. There were exceptions here and there, but mostly you had the greatest in the game being the Kareem's, Wilt's, Russell's, Erving's, yada yada...Jordan changed the dynamics of the game and we all know how his impact in the game of basketball had huge cultural implications.
what about magic johnson?

he wasn't a center

Originally Posted by presequel

not necessary to retire jordans number.

i agree ... i could see something like this being done when he is like 75 years old but let's be serious ...

Jordan gets too much credit. I'm not denying he was great but look at the players hes always had on his teams. Besides I don't think he gets a lot ofthose championships without Pippen. It also took him awhile to win a champioship too.

are you guys serious?????

This is the best player of all time.

His number should have been retired opening night the year after he retired.

There is 0 justification for his number to not be retired

Originally Posted by venom lyrix

are you guys serious?????

This is the best player of all time.

His number should have been retired opening night the year after he retired.

There is 0 justification for his number to not be retired
Are you referring to Jordan?

Originally Posted by SneakerPro

Originally Posted by TheBlackHole76

Originally Posted by 1and12

BUT, MJ to me, became somewhat bigger than the NBA, If you can really do that, He owned the league for a good 6-8 year stretch, he's a cultural icon and he did some things on the floor that were almost incomparable to the things that Big O, Kareem, and Wilt did. ( That last statement is pretty weak since i haven't watched any Big O, Kareem and Wilt games
tongue.gif
)
I don't really disagree with you (MJ was obviously SPECTACULAR in what he did and his prime is only comparable to Wilt's prime...except MJ actually won titles).....that said, however, if you look at it really objectively, what did MJ do that Kareem didn't (pretend you didn't really get to see either, since most of us didn't get to see Kareem in his prime).

Based on the hardware and the #s:
#1 career total points
#1 career minutes played
#3 career blocks (but remember that blocks weren't even counted until his fifth year. He would be #1 easily (he's only about 650 behind Hakeem)
#4 career rebounds
19 all star selections (most in history)
ROY
6 MVPs (most in history)
8 NBA finals appearances
6 NBA championships
11 All-Defensive selections
15 All-NBA selections (10 first team, 5 second team)
Undeniable offensive AND defensive prowess (like MJ)
Arguably the single greatest basketball move ever - the Skyhook

Again, I'm NOT trying to argue Kareem > MJ or anything like that. What I'm saying is that if you DIDN'T see them play and you just looked at the "accomplishments" Kareem is RIGHT up there with MJ. Point is MJ didn't really "accomplish" anything unique that no one else did. There's a player that actually has more numbers AND hardware than MJ had... most of us just didn't get to enjoy watching him play.

For a "cultural icon" perspective, yes MJ has a good case, but as I said MJ also benefitted from being at the right place and perfect time (Nike, adverstising, media, technology, Stern, a long stretch with no comparable superstars like Magic and Larry where he basically ran the league on his own)... along with, of course, being one helluva basketball player (and that's an understatement).
My Dad till this day says he Kareem is the best ever.

I never realized how great he was

Originally Posted by Kal Ripped Ken

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

Originally Posted by outacontrol music

Seriously though, would they really retire MJ's number and not Wilt or Bill Russell's?

I see your point, but in all honesty, Jordan was revolutionary. Up until his reign, the NBA was dominated by big men and for the most part, were its stars. There were exceptions here and there, but mostly you had the greatest in the game being the Kareem's, Wilt's, Russell's, Erving's, yada yada...Jordan changed the dynamics of the game and we all know how his impact in the game of basketball had huge cultural implications.
what about magic johnson?

he wasn't a center

Refer to bold portion.

Jordan make NBA global wise....he's the reason why many young players these day can make tons of money......he's the reason why nba went up anddown....he's the reason that 23 should be retire

Originally Posted by TheBlackHole76

Originally Posted by 1and12

BUT, MJ to me, became somewhat bigger than the NBA, If you can really do that, He owned the league for a good 6-8 year stretch, he's a cultural icon and he did some things on the floor that were almost incomparable to the things that Big O, Kareem, and Wilt did. ( That last statement is pretty weak since i haven't watched any Big O, Kareem and Wilt games
tongue.gif
)
I don't really disagree with you (MJ was obviously SPECTACULAR in what he did and his prime is only comparable to Wilt's prime...except MJ actually won titles).....that said, however, if you look at it really objectively, what did MJ do that Kareem didn't (pretend you didn't really get to see either, since most of us didn't get to see Kareem in his prime).

Based on the hardware and the #s:
#1 career total points
#1 career minutes played
#3 career blocks (but remember that blocks weren't even counted until his fifth year. He would be #1 easily (he's only about 650 behind Hakeem)
#4 career rebounds
19 all star selections (most in history)
ROY
6 MVPs (most in history)
8 NBA finals appearances
6 NBA championships
11 All-Defensive selections
15 All-NBA selections (10 first team, 5 second team)
Undeniable offensive AND defensive prowess (like MJ)
Arguably the single greatest basketball move ever - the Skyhook

Again, I'm NOT trying to argue Kareem > MJ or anything like that. What I'm saying is that if you DIDN'T see them play and you just looked at the "accomplishments" Kareem is RIGHT up there with MJ. Point is MJ didn't really "accomplish" anything unique that no one else did. There's a player that actually has more numbers AND hardware than MJ had... most of us just didn't get to enjoy watching him play.

For a "cultural icon" perspective, yes MJ has a good case, but as I said MJ also benefitted from being at the right place and perfect time (Nike, adverstising, media, technology, Stern, a long stretch with no comparable superstars like Magic and Larry where he basically ran the league on his own)... along with, of course, being one helluva basketball player (and that's an understatement).
Good point, but Kareem had a MUCH longer NBA career than Jordan did. He's been in the league for 20 years (1969-1989). That's a lot oftouches and attempts. Jordan had only been in the league for 14 years and retired twice. Dude would've surpassed ALL the records had he not retired twotimes.

Like I said earlier...The NBA considers MJ to be the GREATEST OF ALL-TIME http://www.nba.com/history/players/jordan_bio.html

jackie robinsons influence on baseball alone is enough for his number to be retired league wide.

people tend to call wayne gretzky the michael jordan of hockey imo its the other way around michael jordan was the wayne gretzky of basketball. look at all therecords wayne gretzky demolished, records that will never be touched again and records no one else has came close to breaking. also wayne gretzky was prettymuch the reason theres nhl hockey in west coast cities and beach cities, prior to him getting traded to the kings in 1988, the kings were the only west coastamerican team. him going to the kings was huge for the sport seeing that it helped expand hockey to markets it never thought it would be popular in.

im iffy on jordans number being retired because like someone earlier said, theres legit arguments that can be made for other players in the nba that there thegreatest to ever play, and also while i can't think of any names off the top of my head, im sure there were some great players in the 60's 70's and80's to wear 23 also, and there have been great players to wear 23 also.

my thing is that while you can easily make an argument for jordan being the goat, theres a bunch of great players who are on his level and he didn't breakbarriers that jackie robinson did and he wasn't head and shoulders above his competition like gretzky was.

i know the true reason he is changing his number

Kobe's previous jersey number = 8

by changing his jersey to 6, he is admitting that he was never better than kobe and never will be

Originally Posted by nycknicks105

If the NHL can retire Wayne Gretzky's #99. Then they can't the NBA retire Jordan's #23??
Because Gretzky was DOMINANT inhis sport. No player has owned their sport more than Wayne did with hockey. Gretzky was levels above the nextbest player, while Jordan was not.

Jordan make NBA global wise....he's the reason why many young players these day can make tons of money......he's the reason why nba went up and down....he's the reason that 23 should be retire
How did Jordan make the NBA global? Why did he pave the way for young players to make money? Were players not making a lot of money at a youngage before Jordan became relevant? He's the reason the NBA went up and down?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by jerseymizzle

terrific. then they might design something better than this garbage.
brand.gif

point taken...
but Bill Russell wore #6..any connection there?

Originally Posted by t0xicman

i know the true reason he is changing his number

Kobe's previous jersey number = 8

by changing his jersey to 6, he is admitting that he was never better than kobe and never will be

Back
Top Bottom