Lebron James from jersey #23 to #6?

Originally Posted by vctry20

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

Wow, slow blog day if this is what this guy is writing. Why retire MJ's number and not Bill Russell or Kareem or Magic or Bird or anyone else. Despite what we all think of MJ, it's not happening and the NBA has never given one hint that it would.

Jackie Robinson has NOTHING to do with Michael Jordan.
Those were pretty much my first two thoughts. Jackie Robinson means more to the game of baseball than Michael Jordan means to basketball.
basically.

/thread.

Originally Posted by freshhh

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

Wow, slow blog day if this is what this guy is writing. Why retire MJ's number and not Bill Russell or Kareem or Magic or Bird or anyone else. Despite what we all think of MJ, it's not happening and the NBA has never given one hint that it would.

Those were pretty much my first two thoughts. Jackie Robinson means more to the game of baseball than Michael Jordan means to basketball.
basically.

/thread.
FACT.

This doesn't take away from the influence that Mike has in the game, but imagine retiring Mike's number and not Kareem, Magic's, and the rest ofthe guys that also impacted this game.

I don't disagree that Mike is the GOAT, but there are players as important, if not more important, than him.

The whole Jordan-Robinson comparison is not right in terms of significance. However, he should have compared Jordan more to Gretzky; the Great One's oftheir sports. His number 99 is retired by all NHL teams too.

this thread will no longer be used. no cavs fan would use a season thread made by chester. now that thats outta the way, can we get a lock ska?

I provided the lock because I (incorrectly?) recognize Chester as a tOSU fan and would prefer to see a season thread managed by outacontrol or belle.

Regarding the topic, LeBron was good enough to recognize that he shouldn't have worn #23 when coming into the league. IMO, you gotta make a unique numberfamous if you're one of these guys that's going down in the history books as one of the best ever.

Comparing Money to Jackie?

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by 1and12

Originally Posted by outacontrol music

6 because of how many championships Mike won.

And 23 = 2x3 = 6?

I think the writer just wanted an example to get his point across.

So what is the case for MJ? Yes, ALMOST everyone considers him the GOAT but definitely not all. Very strong cases are made for Wilt, Magic, Oscar, Kareem and so forth (and not lame homer arguments, real legit arguments). MJ may have been the most "popular" (by pretty much any measure you can think of) hands down but I just don't think that's a reason to retire someone's number. Really, I think retiring MJ's number is just a slap in the face of the all-time greats of the past... just because they didn't have the media, technology, David Stern, and the overall worldwide interest to bolster their case like MJ did.
Wow, Agree kind of, I mean I like the whole " Jersey Number Retired by the Whole NBA" Thing, but you have a very good point at it being a slap in the face of those that preceded MJ.

BUT, MJ to me, became somewhat bigger than the NBA, If you can really do that, He owned the league for a good 6-8 year stretch, he's a cultural icon and he did some things on the floor that were almost incomparable to the things that Big O, Kareem, and Wilt did. ( That last statement is pretty weak since i haven't watched any Big O, Kareem and Wilt games
tongue.gif
)

But Jordan didnt bring the league back from poor attendance and the "coccaine years (LOL)"...... That would be the Magic & Bird. Their numbersare not retired... neither should MJ.

I was thinking another reason Lebron wore no.6 in the Olympics was because MJ wore no.9 during tenure in the Olympics.

What are the odds that David Stern threw the idea out there, like, "Is there another number you might consider wearing? We could sell a few morejerseys."?

Just saw this on PTI.

#23 should've been retired across the NBA, like what the NHL did with #99 for Gretzky.

Originally Posted by tmoney85

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

2³ x 2/3 rounded down + 3 - 2 = 6.
eek.gif

Kobe changed his number first...
nerd.gif

yeah, first he wants to participate in a dunk contest now he wants to change his number. I think Lebron is trying to be the next Kobe..... NEVA!

please stop

alien.gif
devil.gif
eek.gif
embarassed.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by outacontrol music

Seriously though, would they really retire MJ's number and not Wilt or Bill Russell's?

I see your point, but in all honesty, Jordan was revolutionary. Up until his reign, the NBA was dominated by big men and for the most part, were its stars.There were exceptions here and there, but mostly you had the greatest in the game being the Kareem's, Wilt's, Russell's, Erving's, yadayada...Jordan changed the dynamics of the game and we all know how his impact in the game of basketball had huge cultural implications.

651akathePaul wrote:
outacontrol music wrote:
Seriously though, would they really retire MJ's number and not Wilt or Bill Russell's?

I see your point, but in all honesty, Jordan was revolutionary. Up until his reign, the NBA was dominated by big men and for the most part, were its stars. There were exceptions here and there, but mostly you had the greatest in the game being the Kareem's, Wilt's, Russell's, Erving's, yada yada...Jordan changed the dynamics of the game and we all know how his impact in the game of basketball had huge cultural implications.
I politely disagree that Jordan was revolutionary. His impact is more exaggerated than any basketball player ever. (And I enjoyed watching himplay.)

There is nooooooo reason to retire Jordans number.

Originally Posted by TheBlackHole76

Originally Posted by 1and12

BUT, MJ to me, became somewhat bigger than the NBA, If you can really do that, He owned the league for a good 6-8 year stretch, he's a cultural icon and he did some things on the floor that were almost incomparable to the things that Big O, Kareem, and Wilt did. ( That last statement is pretty weak since i haven't watched any Big O, Kareem and Wilt games
tongue.gif
)
I don't really disagree with you (MJ was obviously SPECTACULAR in what he did and his prime is only comparable to Wilt's prime...except MJ actually won titles).....that said, however, if you look at it really objectively, what did MJ do that Kareem didn't (pretend you didn't really get to see either, since most of us didn't get to see Kareem in his prime).

Based on the hardware and the #s:
#1 career total points
#1 career minutes played
#3 career blocks (but remember that blocks weren't even counted until his fifth year. He would be #1 easily (he's only about 650 behind Hakeem)
#4 career rebounds
19 all star selections (most in history)
ROY
6 MVPs (most in history)
8 NBA finals appearances
6 NBA championships
11 All-Defensive selections
15 All-NBA selections (10 first team, 5 second team)
Undeniable offensive AND defensive prowess (like MJ)
Arguably the single greatest basketball move ever - the Skyhook

Again, I'm NOT trying to argue Kareem > MJ or anything like that. What I'm saying is that if you DIDN'T see them play and you just looked at the "accomplishments" Kareem is RIGHT up there with MJ. Point is MJ didn't really "accomplish" anything unique that no one else did. There's a player that actually has more numbers AND hardware than MJ had... most of us just didn't get to enjoy watching him play.

For a "cultural icon" perspective, yes MJ has a good case, but as I said MJ also benefitted from being at the right place and perfect time (Nike, adverstising, media, technology, Stern, a long stretch with no comparable superstars like Magic and Larry where he basically ran the league on his own)... along with, of course, being one helluva basketball player (and that's an understatement).
My Dad till this day says he Kareem is the best ever.

dont do it stern!

i dont want these #23 jerseys i got hangin on my walls to be throwbacks

and no they wont be throwbacks when he goes to the knicks

because hes never leavin cleveland

Back
Top Bottom