let this thread die (NYK)

That's he's a great coach and can manage personalities. Dude calls a timeout and tells his team that they playing SOFT.

I honestly think dantoni would fare better on a team without much talent. Doc the opposite.

I honestly think dantoni would fare better on a team without much talent

I can agree with this, especially a young team that we had last year with STAT being the only big name.....he is good at making players better

....but now that coach has a full roster with depth, he should be given a chance to see what he can do. This is the same guy who's SUNS should have gone to the Finals and possibly won it all if it were not for that joke of an ejection with the Robert Horry incident.

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Lin gives Knicks edge over Rondo, Celtics[/h1]
March, 2, 2012
Mar 2

7:14

PM ET

By Jared Zwerling

nba_g_rondo-lin_576.jpg
Getty Images

Rajon Rondo and Jeremy Lin will face off for the first time on Sunday.
Knowing how the first two games played out this season, the edge in the Knicks Sunday matchup at the TD Garden against point guard Rajon Rondo and the Celtics should go to Jeremy Lin and the 'Bockers.

Both of those games were decided by two points. On Christmas Day at Madison Square Garden, the Knicks won 106-104 and on Feb. 3 in Boston, the Celtics won 91-89.

While the Knicks had one of the league's best closers in Carmelo Anthony, they didn't have Lin, who has made a name for himself in crunch time (a score within five points in the last five minutes of the game). Now the Knicks have two down-the-stretch options to go to, not to mention, the deepest bench they've had all season.

Rondo will have his hands full guarding Lin in crunch time. According to ESPN Stats & Info, in the 18 minutes Lin has played in those situations, he's scored 21 points on 6-for-13 shooting, 2-for-3 from downtown and 7-for-8 from the stripe. He's even performed well in the final period against two of the top-five defenses in the league, the Lakers (fifth-best at 91.2 points per game allowed) and Mavericks (fourth-best at 91.0 points per game allowed). In a 92-85 win over the Lakers on Feb. 10, Lin scored 11 points in the fourth quarter, and in a 104-97 win over the Mavericks on Feb. 19, he connected on two 3-pointers. That's a key takeaway considering the Celtics are the third-best defensive team, only giving up 88.6 points per game.

On the flip side, Rondo pales in comparison in crunch time. In the 40 minutes he's played in those situations, he's scored only eight points on 2-for-11 shooting. He does, however, have more assists than Lin (10 to 4). Overall, Rondo has gotten progressively worse in crunch time. Rondo didn't shoot worse than 40 percent in the first four years of his career in those situations, but he's declined in the past three seasons from 53.3 percent in 2009-10 to 34.3 in 2010-11 and then 18.2 this season.

The main reason Lin thrives in crunch time is because he's a much better isolation player than Rondo, who dishes the ball well but has trouble creating his own shot. In fact, he's ranked in the lowest percentile of points per play in a minimum of 300 plays since 2006-07. So far this season, Rondo ranks 146 out of 155. Lin, on the other hand, is far more productive in isolation. In Lin's 18.8 percent of those situations, he's scoring 1.103 points per play, while Rondo is only scoring .694 points per play in 11.6 percent of those situations. Lin's shooting percentage is 50.0; Rondo's is only 30.6. Lin also has a lower turnover percentage (8.8 to 12.2 for Rondo).

"He’s worked hard," Rondo said about Lin during All-Star Weekend in Orlando. "A lot of people doubt him. I think he’s a product of hard work, and now it’s paying off. He seems like a pretty humble guy. He seems like a good guy. He’s going to be here for a long time."

In general, pick-and-rolls make up the bulk of Lin and Rondo's offense. And when they're playing, their respective teams have a whole lot more production. Lin's on-court/off-court team difference is 101.7 points per game compared to 86.4, while Rondo's team difference 95.4 points per game to 86.0. The biggest thing Lin has to improve on his being more efficient in the pick-and-rolls. While Rondo has only committed 14 turnovers in those plays, Lin's number is up to 43 already, and he's only started 12 games this season.

"We’re just playing hard, practicing hard, trying to get better and fix our mistakes," Lin said after Friday's practice. "It’s going to be a tough road trip. We’re going to have to grow and win some games or we’re going to fall behind in the playoff race."

After a rough showing last Thursday against the Heat, committing eight turnovers to go along with only eight points, Lin is on the right track. He's coming off his best floor game as a Knick, collecting 13 assists and only one turnover in a 120-103 rout over the Cavaliers Wednesday night.

The team played so well in the fourth quarter, they didn't even need Lin or Anthony's late-game heroics. But considering the battle-tested history between the Knicks and Celtics, Lin should get his first down-the-stretch test, and based on what he's done this season, he's the right man for the job.

'Hot' right now? They just came off a 5 game losing streak and now have a 3 game winning streak over mediocre teams, come on.

Gonna be a big game anyway, hoping Lin keeps the TOs down although he's facing another elite PG and above average defense.

I imagine we'll start the game off lukewarm. We barely ever start off gunnin and ready to go. But as the game progresses, our intensity will grow and lead us to a hard fought victory on the road.

Cant less Bass play like an all star. Cant let KG try to punk us. Pierce will not hit those lucky throw ups as the shot clock is winding all game. Ray Allen will hit 3s in barrages, but Novakaine should neutralize that. I'm looking for Melo to go for 30+. JR should have a big game too. Lin will do his thing, dont care about his scoring output as long as he's aggressive. Hopefully we'll have 7 or 8 in double figures again.

Everyone really has to step up and take this game. And not just win, but really not get rattled on the road. It seems that Boston plays extra hard against NY ( im sure all teams do). The games we've played vs BOS has all been decided by 2 points. We have to win.

+++# Rondo, ol ****** lookin $*$ dude.  I GUARANTEE Garnett will try some funny %+%*+ *@*+ to get at Lin tomorrow.  

Aint worried about this game I feel our bench is gonna step up again and lead us to victory

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

Aint worried about this game I feel our bench is gonna step again and lead us to victory

Don't know why but I feel very confident in tomorrow. But usually me expecting a win doesn't turn out too well.So we will see

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

I can agree with this, especially a young team that we had last year with STAT being the only big name.....he is good at making players better

....but now that coach has a full roster with depth, he should be given a chance to see what he can do. This is the same guy who's SUNS should have gone to the Finals and possibly won it all if it were not for that joke of an ejection with the Robert Horry incident.

Thank you!  A fan who can remember his past accomplishments and not just his shortcomings with a revolving roster.  Chemistry takes time to build.  It took almost a whole season last year for Spoelstra and the Heat to find their stride.  Look at them now.  It took Carlisle and the Mavs a few seasons before they finally won their championship.  It's not a coincidence the top teams this year had their core and coach together for a while, which plays an even greater role this year given the lack of practice time due to the condensed schedule.  We had D'Antoni, Melo and Stoudemire for less than full a NBA season.  The man deserves some time to work w/ a full roster before dismissing him.

Originally Posted by hongcouver604

I GUARANTEE Garnett will try some funny %+%*+ *@*+ to get at Lin tomorrow.  
Sad but true....as much as I liked watching KG and being a huge fan since the mid 90's, this guy is one dirty player. I feel he gets worse as gets older.

Originally Posted by jumpfreak23

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

Thank you!  A fan who can remember his past accomplishments and not just his shortcomings with a revolving roster.  Chemistry takes time to build.  It took almost a whole season last year for Spoelstra and the Heat to find their stride.  Look at them now.  It took Carlisle and the Mavs a few seasons before they finally won their championship.  It's not a coincidence the top teams this year had their core and coach together for a while, which plays an even greater role this year given the lack of practice time due to the condensed schedule.  We had D'Antoni, Melo and Stoudemire for less than full a NBA season.  The man deserves some time to work w/ a full roster before dismissing him.
QFT!  People want to make changes on a game-to-game basis.  Teams need to grow together to win.  The '08 Celtics were the exception, not the rule.

Back
Top Bottom