Lettuce be cereal, Camp > Cole World > Finally Famous

Originally Posted by Be Easy

Originally Posted by RetroSan

Return of 4Eva, Section.80, Weekend at Burnies, Finally Famous, Cole World, Wu-Tang Vs. Shaolin, FTWSWL > keep the rest
Haven't listened to Ambition or Take Care yet though. WTT was complete buns, C4 was busura, Gambino's voice doesn't do it for me, no ayo

How can some of ya'll say Cole World was average? Do you REALLY listen to the music or skim through it? The subject matter wasn't there? Oh.

says the dude calling WTT buns 
eyes.gif

Nah I got you. WTT had some jams, some lyrical stuff. I just feel like those two should have come up with something that completely blew out the competition. Like some next next next level type stuff. All we got was an album had that a Kanye type feel to it, featuring Jay on some tracks. I wanted to hear more soul samples, some DOPE beats that you can just dumb out to. Some real hip-hop vibes. That sh*& sounded like a techno album.

I said before that some people weren't gonna like that album for that reason.

I'm sure Jay/Ye could've just made the same album over Blueprint beats and everyone on NT would hail it as a classic, but what makes them stand out is the risks they take musically. Same can be said with Drake and even J Cole about their albums and album direction, if you go in different directions with your music you're bound to disappoint those who are used to a certain kind of sound/style.

Return of 4Eva, Section.80, Weekend at Burnies, Finally Famous, Cole World, Wu-Tang Vs. Shaolin, FTWSWL > keep the rest
Haven't listened to Ambition or Take Care yet though. WTT was complete buns, C4 was busura, Gambino's voice doesn't do it for me, no ayo

How can some of ya'll say Cole World was average? Do you REALLY listen to the music or skim through it? The subject matter wasn't there? Oh.

eyes.gif

Nah I got you. WTT had some jams, some lyrical stuff. I just feel like those two should have come up with something that completely blew out the competition. Like some next next next level type stuff. All we got was an album had that a Kanye type feel to it, featuring Jay on some tracks. I wanted to hear more soul samples, some DOPE beats that you can just dumb out to. Some real hip-hop vibes. That sh*& sounded like a techno album.
THIS. People were so blinded by the fact that Jay & Kanye were making an album together, that it seemed like people didn't actually listen to it.
People wrote term papers deciphering the lyrics, but seemed to forgot how mediocre a lot of the beats were. Of course no one expected any
College Dropout, Late Registration type stuff in 2011, but there was a lot of potential production wise that was just left on the table. To me it's
another case of people automatically equating "different"/straying from the norm with being epic. Those don't always go hand in hand.

Originally Posted by Peep Game

eyes.gif

THIS. People were so blinded by the fact that Jay & Kanye were making an album together, that it seemed like people didn't actually listen to it.
People wrote term papers deciphering the lyrics, but seemed to forgot how mediocre a lot of the beats were. Of course no one expected any
College Dropout, Late Registration type stuff in 2011, but there was a lot of potential production wise that was just left on the table. To me it's
another case of people automatically equating "different"/straying from the norm with being epic. Those don't always go hand in hand.

Exactly. After listening to that project, I was left like eh?? Really that's it? These two, especially Jay, have been trying this "different" phase for a few years now. BP3 was terrible I thought, save a few songs. They're both trying to branch out into what Drake's been doing, with these futuristic beats, and sounds. Let Drake do Drake. Let The Weeknd do The Weeknd. That's what they're known for. Dudes are 24 years old making love music, stuff like that, that people can relate to and that's fine. Jigga and Ye shouldn't be in Drake's lane. Stick to hip-hop. You wanna talk big money? Fine, but do it over some hip-hop beats and soul samples. Sprinkle in some of that new sh*^ if you want, but c'mon man.

Exactly. After listening to that project, I was left like eh?? Really that's it? These two, especially Jay, have been trying this "different" phase for a few years now. BP3 was terrible I thought, save a few songs. They're both trying to branch out into what Drake's been doing, with these futuristic beats, and sounds. Let Drake do Drake. Let The Weeknd do The Weeknd. That's what they're known for. Dudes are 24 years old making love music, stuff like that, that people can relate to and that's fine. Jigga and Ye shouldn't be in Drake's lane. Stick to hip-hop. You wanna talk big money? Fine, but do it over some hip-hop beats and soul samples. Sprinkle in some of that new sh*^ if you want, but c'mon man.

Some people around here (Peep Game specifically) also can't recognize that music "likes" is largely subjective, or respect the fact that people have different tastes in music, even within the genre of hip-hop. Alot of people DID listen to the album and liked what they heard, how are they "blind" for simply liking music now? The *#%+?
laugh.gif
To alot of people and music critics Game's RED album was trash, but you seemed to enjoy it. Who's the one that's "blind" now?
laugh.gif
This is 2011, music evolves and changes. Jay and Kanye are international artists who attract alot of mainstream listeners inside and outside hip-hop. They cater some of the sounds to that market to appeal to new listeners and to stay relevant. Not hard to see why the music reflects this.

Yeah but it's trash, Luke. I don't care what sounds good in Europe.
okay, but you're speaking like it's fact. there is someone out there who hates whatever album you think is the best ever. it's all opinion. how does your opinion about it being trash trump my opinion that it wasn't? 

Originally Posted by LuketheJediKnight

Good points, but "evolving"/being "different" still doesn't automatically make something good. I'm speaking more in general terms than just that album. And as far as R.E.D, the
majority of the hate that album gets is based on the Game personally, not the actual content.

not bad, first time listening to him, wouldnt put it over J.Cole tho. But not a bad album, voice is real annoying sometimes tho

Originally Posted by LuketheJediKnight

Good points, but "evolving"/being "different still doesn't automatically make something good. I'm speaking more in general terms than just that album. And as far as R.E.D, the
majority of the hate that album gets is based on the Game personally, not the actual content.

Agreed with the first point. Then again, what you consider "good" is gonna be different from someone else, and plenty of people thought WTT actually did a good job with putting out good music. Also, I beg to differ with the RED album content. Some people thought the album was bloated, lacked cohesiveness and fresh sounds/concepts.

Yes, their opinion on the music is just as valid as yours. At the end of the day, that's what it simply is - an opinion, not fact. You can respect it and their musical prefences while disliking WTT (or any other album) all you wish to.

Totally agree with op. I did not think it'd be that dope but its definitely one of the best projects this year and an awesome debut.

That bus ride story he told at the end was cold...."destiny" smh

Originally Posted by DipsetGeneral

"Cole World" is the blueprint of how a debut album should be.
alien.gif
eek.gif
eyes.gif
And I really really like that album.

Originally Posted by niquefreak94

okay, but you're speaking like it's fact. there is someone out there who hates whatever album you think is the best ever. it's all opinion. how does your opinion about it being trash trump my opinion that it wasn't? 
I don't think anyone would disagree with Big Bear's "Doin' Thangs" as the best album ever.

Originally Posted by niquefreak94

I don't think anyone would disagree with Big Bear's "Doin' Thangs" as the best album ever.

If something sounds good to somebody, then to them that's all that matters.

You can disagree with liking a subjective work such as music while respecting this fact.

Back
Top Bottom