Living in Cali

Originally Posted by grittyman20

Before you try to move to Cali, I'd suggest checking out a cost of living comparison calculator (not that they're 100% accurate, but at least they'll give you a ballpark figure)

For example, if you made 32K while living in Jacksonville then you will need to make about 47K to maintain a similar lifestyle in Los Angeles. As been stated already in this thread, most of your monthly expenses will come from housing...expect to pay at least a grand if you want to find someplace decent (not in the hood).

Bottom line it all depends on what's important to you...Cost of living here is high, but the weather is great and there's always something to do. I'd gladly pay the extra money towards the cost of living to get away my the cold, boring winters of my old hometown (Michigan). I moved to Cali 7 years ago and haven't looked back...well besides missing family and friends.

pimp.gif
at some of the advice given here. I remember back before I moved I posted a thread on NT asking the same question...got a pm from Ska with a lot of good info that helped me make my final decision. Only fitting that I return the favor...

Cost is higher but pay is generally higher as well...

right guys with legit careers?

If you have a few stacks to your name then get a script and learn how to grow.....that industry will never die if worried about job security

If you have a few stacks to your name then get a script and learn how to grow.....that industry will never die if worried about job security

Originally Posted by damnitzdom

Before you try to move to Cali, I'd suggest checking out a cost of living comparison calculator (not that they're 100% accurate, but at least they'll give you a ballpark figure)

For example, if you made 32K while living in Jacksonville then you will need to make about 47K to maintain a similar lifestyle in Los Angeles. As been stated already in this thread, most of your monthly expenses will come from housing...expect to pay at least a grand if you want to find someplace decent (not in the hood).

Bottom line it all depends on what's important to you...Cost of living here is high, but the weather is great and there's always something to do. I'd gladly pay the extra money towards the cost of living to get away my the cold, boring winters of my old hometown (Michigan). I moved to Cali 7 years ago and haven't looked back...well besides missing family and friends.

pimp.gif
at some of the advice given here. I remember back before I moved I posted a thread on NT asking the same question...got a pm from Ska with a lot of good info that helped me make my final decision. Only fitting that I return the favor...

depends on the career path.

my wife works for a fairly prominent advertising agency and up until just recently, they were starting assistants (fairly competitive, 4 yr degree required) at under $30K.  Her current assistant is a Stanford grad.  Past assistants have been from UPenn, UCLA, USC.  If not for the fact that some of these kids come from some family money, I dont know how theyd be getting by in this part of LA making less than $30K.  If you want to make money, don't go into advertising thats for sure.

I work in finance myself (not a hedge fund/i-bank or anything like that so I'm poor).  In my specific sector of finance, I do know that I am fairly well compensated compared to those in similar positions in other parts of the country.  Some of my co-workers actually have the best situation.  They used to work out of the LA office but had to relocate to other parts of the country for one reason or another.  Depending on their position, they were allowed to stay on and work full time remotely.  I got a couple of coworkers that still get paid LA salaries but get Charlotte and Dallas cost of living respectively.  BIG W for them.

Originally Posted by damnitzdom

pimp.gif

depends on the career path.

my wife works for a fairly prominent advertising agency and up until just recently, they were starting assistants (fairly competitive, 4 yr degree required) at under $30K.  Her current assistant is a Stanford grad.  Past assistants have been from UPenn, UCLA, USC.  If not for the fact that some of these kids come from some family money, I dont know how theyd be getting by in this part of LA making less than $30K.  If you want to make money, don't go into advertising thats for sure.

I work in finance myself (not a hedge fund/i-bank or anything like that so I'm poor).  In my specific sector of finance, I do know that I am fairly well compensated compared to those in similar positions in other parts of the country.  Some of my co-workers actually have the best situation.  They used to work out of the LA office but had to relocate to other parts of the country for one reason or another.  Depending on their position, they were allowed to stay on and work full time remotely.  I got a couple of coworkers that still get paid LA salaries but get Charlotte and Dallas cost of living respectively.  BIG W for them.

Just came across this article in the news today and I remembered this thread. 
http://jan.ocregister.com/2011/04/15/more-firms-move-jobs-facilities-out-of-california/57653/

So far this year, 69 companies have moved all or part of their California work and jobs to other states or countries, reports Irvine relocation consultant Joe Vranich.

It’s the fastest rate of departures since Vranich started tracking the exodus in 2009, he says. There have been an average of 4.7 moves per week from Jan. 1 through April 12, compared to 3.9 moves in all of 2010.

So basically, businesses (and jobs) are leaving this state in a hurry...so job security is a thing of the past. I also read another article but couldn't find the link where it was saying how for several years now the trend has been for wealthier people leaving the state and more low income people moving here. Recipe for disaster, I really wouldn't recommend someone to relocate to Cali at this point in the game.

Just came across this article in the news today and I remembered this thread. 
http://jan.ocregister.com/2011/04/15/more-firms-move-jobs-facilities-out-of-california/57653/

So far this year, 69 companies have moved all or part of their California work and jobs to other states or countries, reports Irvine relocation consultant Joe Vranich.

It’s the fastest rate of departures since Vranich started tracking the exodus in 2009, he says. There have been an average of 4.7 moves per week from Jan. 1 through April 12, compared to 3.9 moves in all of 2010.

So basically, businesses (and jobs) are leaving this state in a hurry...so job security is a thing of the past. I also read another article but couldn't find the link where it was saying how for several years now the trend has been for wealthier people leaving the state and more low income people moving here. Recipe for disaster, I really wouldn't recommend someone to relocate to Cali at this point in the game.

Back
Top Bottom