Living in Cali

Originally Posted by Animal Thug1539

You can make $30,000 in SF/LA/SD and still be broke. Just keep that in mind. You can't take it from people who sit here on NT and tell you it's great. A majority of them are young, still living at their moms probably paying zero rent/mortgage.

There's barely any jobs out here, the rent is stupid, the gas prices are the highest in this state than any - and nothing is improving.

Stay away from Cali if you don't have a family - or if you're not making $40,000+.
This man speaks the truth and I'm from CA.

You can make $30,000 in SF/LA/SD and still be broke. Just keep that in mind. You can't take it from people who sit here on NT and tell you it's great. A majority of them are young, still living at their moms probably paying zero rent/mortgage.

There's barely any jobs out here, the rent is stupid, the gas prices are the highest in this state than any - and nothing is improving.

Stay away from Cali if you don't have a family - or if you're not making $40,000+.

Originally Posted by knightngale

There are some places with cheap rent in L.A. but I assume most people want to live where all the white people or asians have migrated to. 

truth

Originally Posted by knightngale

There are some places with cheap rent in L.A. but I assume most people want to live where all the white people or asians have migrated to. 

truth

Originally Posted by VeryAnalytical85

def speaking the truth, im 20 living with my parents. Rent is stupid especially if you live to the beach (live about 10min away). The gas is about 3.60 atm
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
good thing I dont have my older car. So if your not making good money i dont think cali is the spot.

The houses in the Inland Empire/San Fernando Valley are a lot cheaper, but its way too hot out there. And its pretty boring.

def speaking the truth, im 20 living with my parents. Rent is stupid especially if you live to the beach (live about 10min away). The gas is about 3.60 atm
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
good thing I dont have my older car. So if your not making good money i dont think cali is the spot.

The houses in the Inland Empire/San Fernando Valley are a lot cheaper, but its way too hot out there. And its pretty boring.

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

You can make $30,000 in SF/LA/SD and still be broke. 
This is broke no matter your living situation in CA. Keep that in mind.

--QFT. I made $32,000 in 2010 and on the verge of living check to check still.
--Saw the gas prices at Chevron last night...$4.01 for Premium.
sick.gif

--The only perk right now is the weather.
--I live in San Diego.

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

You can make $30,000 in SF/LA/SD and still be broke. 
This is broke no matter your living situation in CA. Keep that in mind.

--QFT. I made $32,000 in 2010 and on the verge of living check to check still.
--Saw the gas prices at Chevron last night...$4.01 for Premium.
sick.gif

--The only perk right now is the weather.
--I live in San Diego.

Originally Posted by Im Not You

I'm contemplating moving to LA. Everyone keeps warning me that the Bay is so much better tho.
Thinking about it as well man., I swear the energy I feel in Cali just makes me feel like I am in a whole different country. I mean well it is Little Mexico to be technical.

Originally Posted by Im Not You

I'm contemplating moving to LA. Everyone keeps warning me that the Bay is so much better tho.
Thinking about it as well man., I swear the energy I feel in Cali just makes me feel like I am in a whole different country. I mean well it is Little Mexico to be technical.

I thought about Cali for a min but that's too far and expensive than PA and too far from the fam. W/ $30k-$40k, u can live like kings (and queens for my lady NTers
wink.gif
)
laugh.gif
I hate Pittsburgh tho
30t6p3b.gif

I thought about Cali for a min but that's too far and expensive than PA and too far from the fam. W/ $30k-$40k, u can live like kings (and queens for my lady NTers
wink.gif
)
laugh.gif
I hate Pittsburgh tho
30t6p3b.gif

^this.  Born and raised just outside of LA, don't move here unless you can pay to play.

^this.  Born and raised just outside of LA, don't move here unless you can pay to play.

cost of living is not cheap in the bay area but if you can manage, the weather and nightlife is nice depending on where you at

cost of living is not cheap in the bay area but if you can manage, the weather and nightlife is nice depending on where you at

CA is an expensive place to live. I'd imagine it'd be hard for a single dude living off 40k...much less 30k....
Don't get blinded by the hype and end up going there thinking you'll be Vinny Chase....

CA is an expensive place to live. I'd imagine it'd be hard for a single dude living off 40k...much less 30k....
Don't get blinded by the hype and end up going there thinking you'll be Vinny Chase....

Before you try to move to Cali, I'd suggest checking out a cost of living comparison calculator (not that they're 100% accurate, but at least they'll give you a ballpark figure)

For example, if you made 32K while living in Jacksonville then you will need to make about 47K to maintain a similar lifestyle in Los Angeles. As been stated already in this thread, most of your monthly expenses will come from housing...expect to pay at least a grand if you want to find someplace decent (not in the hood).

Bottom line it all depends on what's important to you...Cost of living here is high, but the weather is great and there's always something to do. I'd gladly pay the extra money towards the cost of living to get away my the cold, boring winters of my old hometown (Michigan). I moved to Cali 7 years ago and haven't looked back...well besides missing family and friends.

pimp.gif
at some of the advice given here. I remember back before I moved I posted a thread on NT asking the same question...got a pm from Ska with a lot of good info that helped me make my final decision. Only fitting that I return the favor...

Before you try to move to Cali, I'd suggest checking out a cost of living comparison calculator (not that they're 100% accurate, but at least they'll give you a ballpark figure)

For example, if you made 32K while living in Jacksonville then you will need to make about 47K to maintain a similar lifestyle in Los Angeles. As been stated already in this thread, most of your monthly expenses will come from housing...expect to pay at least a grand if you want to find someplace decent (not in the hood).

Bottom line it all depends on what's important to you...Cost of living here is high, but the weather is great and there's always something to do. I'd gladly pay the extra money towards the cost of living to get away my the cold, boring winters of my old hometown (Michigan). I moved to Cali 7 years ago and haven't looked back...well besides missing family and friends.

pimp.gif
at some of the advice given here. I remember back before I moved I posted a thread on NT asking the same question...got a pm from Ska with a lot of good info that helped me make my final decision. Only fitting that I return the favor...

Originally Posted by grittyman20

pimp.gif

Cost is higher but pay is generally higher as well...

right guys with legit careers?

Back
Top Bottom