Looking to buy a Nissan 240sx s13 or s14 any advice NT? Vol. School me

Originally Posted by SnowboardingPanda

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

OP what's your budget.
$2000 and under since I'm mainly looking to keep it stock for now. I have one lined up for $1350 but the miles and it being an automatic are kind of making me rethink.
I hear a lot about people abusing them lol and being from norcal I'm bound to come across a few. I appreciate all the input so far, thanks nt.
Don't wanna sound harsh or anything, but at that price range you're just looking for a headache. Even if whatever you find is stock....mileage, paint, suspension and engine will have their minor flaws, or maybe even salvage. S13s are your best option around that range. Get a coupe.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by SnowboardingPanda

OP what's your budget.
$2000 and under since I'm mainly looking to keep it stock for now. I have one lined up for $1350 but the miles and it being an automatic are kind of making me rethink.
I hear a lot about people abusing them lol and being from norcal I'm bound to come across a few. I appreciate all the input so far, thanks nt.
Don't wanna sound harsh or anything, but at that price range you're just looking for a headache. Even if whatever you find is stock....mileage, paint, suspension and engine will have their minor flaws, or maybe even salvage. S13s are your best option around that range. Get a coupe.
wink.gif

something I posted for another thread
Originally Posted by JoseBronx

Originally Posted by cs02132

get a 240sx better, I just bought another one (s13 coupe)
pimp.gif
. RWD is way more fun then a torque-less FWD honda, plus insurance on civics are way too expensive because theyre always stolen.

Just looked at these..I like them much better than a honda..I looked for them on craigslist but didnt find them..Where would I look for one? Either an s13 or s14

where do you stay? CL is always full of them, try typing 240sx instead of s13 or look at the another bigger city nearby.

Check out a local nissan, drifting, or import forum. You can also check nicoclub or zilvia and look at their local forums for cars in your area. Theyre really fun cars, click on the spoiler for a buying guide I quoted from nicoclub

Spoiler [+]
*240SX Buying Guide/General Overview*

If you are considering buying a 240sx, but not sure which model you want or like best, this is the guide for you! Here is a full breakdown of all the years the 240 came into the U.S. with pictures. I hope it’s helpful!

The s13 body style (89-94):

The s13 came in 3 Body Styles:

The Hatchback or Fastback

The Coupe

The Convertible

The Pignose:

The First year of the 240sx was 1989. It came with the Pignose Front bumper:

The pignose front was only used in 1989 and 1990 and there was no convertible made in these years. These years have the 2.4 Liter KA24E Single Overhead Cam(SOHC), inline 4 cylinder engine.

This engine produces 140hp and 152 lb/ft. tq.

The Chuki

The Chuki came into production in 1991 and was carried out until 1994. It came with a newly re-designed front bumper:

A new engine was also introduced in 91. The 2.4 liter, KA24DE Dual Overhead Cam(DOHC), inline 4 cylinder engine.

The Dohc Produces 155 hp and 160 lb/ft. tq.

In the chuki years, some hatchbacks have the SUPER HICAS 4 wheel steering system. This aids in handling, but most people disable it. Hicas bypass products can be found at one of our many sponsors. See link below.

The convertible began production 1992 and note that all convertibles are automatic. These cars were shipped here as coupes, then converted over by ASC.
Also note that in 1994 the only body style sold was the left over convertibles from 1993.

S13 Trims:

XE Coupe- Pignose coupe, pw, pdl, cloth seating power moonroof
Base- pw optional, pdl optional, cloth seating, sunroof otional
SE- pw, pdl, cloth seating, rear spoiler, sunroof optional
LE, pw, pdl, leather seating, rear spoiler, sunroof

Buying Guide:

There are some things to look for when buying an s13. Mileage is normally not a very big issue as the KA is known to go well over 200,000 miles if maintained properly. I wouldn’t recommend buying one with super high mileage, but if you are assured it has been properly maintained, then you should be fine.
Listen to the engine at idle. If it makes a “Marble Rolling in a Tin Can

something I posted for another thread

Originally Posted by cs02132

get a 240sx better, I just bought another one (s13 coupe)
pimp.gif
. RWD is way more fun then a torque-less FWD honda, plus insurance on civics are way too expensive because theyre always stolen.

Just looked at these..I like them much better than a honda..I looked for them on craigslist but didnt find them..Where would I look for one? Either an s13 or s14

where do you stay? CL is always full of them, try typing 240sx instead of s13 or look at the another bigger city nearby.

Check out a local nissan, drifting, or import forum. You can also check nicoclub or zilvia and look at their local forums for cars in your area. Theyre really fun cars, click on the spoiler for a buying guide I quoted from nicoclub

Spoiler [+]
*240SX Buying Guide/General Overview*

If you are considering buying a 240sx, but not sure which model you want or like best, this is the guide for you! Here is a full breakdown of all the years the 240 came into the U.S. with pictures. I hope it’s helpful!

The s13 body style (89-94):

The s13 came in 3 Body Styles:

The Hatchback or Fastback

The Coupe

The Convertible

The Pignose:

The First year of the 240sx was 1989. It came with the Pignose Front bumper:

The pignose front was only used in 1989 and 1990 and there was no convertible made in these years. These years have the 2.4 Liter KA24E Single Overhead Cam(SOHC), inline 4 cylinder engine.

This engine produces 140hp and 152 lb/ft. tq.

The Chuki

The Chuki came into production in 1991 and was carried out until 1994. It came with a newly re-designed front bumper:

A new engine was also introduced in 91. The 2.4 liter, KA24DE Dual Overhead Cam(DOHC), inline 4 cylinder engine.

The Dohc Produces 155 hp and 160 lb/ft. tq.

In the chuki years, some hatchbacks have the SUPER HICAS 4 wheel steering system. This aids in handling, but most people disable it. Hicas bypass products can be found at one of our many sponsors. See link below.

The convertible began production 1992 and note that all convertibles are automatic. These cars were shipped here as coupes, then converted over by ASC.
Also note that in 1994 the only body style sold was the left over convertibles from 1993.

S13 Trims:

XE Coupe- Pignose coupe, pw, pdl, cloth seating power moonroof
Base- pw optional, pdl optional, cloth seating, sunroof otional
SE- pw, pdl, cloth seating, rear spoiler, sunroof optional
LE, pw, pdl, leather seating, rear spoiler, sunroof

Buying Guide:

There are some things to look for when buying an s13. Mileage is normally not a very big issue as the KA is known to go well over 200,000 miles if maintained properly. I wouldn’t recommend buying one with super high mileage, but if you are assured it has been properly maintained, then you should be fine.
Listen to the engine at idle. If it makes a “Marble Rolling in a Tin Can

It would be my first car anyways so I'd like something to kind of build and learn on. I have a few friends who could help as well.

It would be my first car anyways so I'd like something to kind of build and learn on. I have a few friends who could help as well.

Originally Posted by rodster831

i was looking into getting a project car soon, but i know nothing about cars.
something like a civic, del sol, integra, supra, or even a sx.
how should i go about it?

definitely do your research before you take action.

Originally Posted by rodster831

i was looking into getting a project car soon, but i know nothing about cars.
something like a civic, del sol, integra, supra, or even a sx.
how should i go about it?

definitely do your research before you take action.

Your main focus right now OP should be purchasing a quality 240sx. Easier said than done. If you're not mechanically inclined I highly recommend you have a mechanic look it over. Electrical, Mechanical, Suspension, Body etc. Carfax it, but know that it doesn't always tell you the big pictures. My 240sx for example was in an accident and the carfax shows it as clean. Have a Leakdown and Vacuum test done on the car. Any competent technician will be able to do this for you. It might seem like a hassle taking it somewhere to be inspected but it can save you thousands of dollars and many headaches.

I can't stress that enough, have someone completely look it over. I'd also avoid purchasing one that's already been heavily modded. It might seem fast and like everything is in working order but many people take shortcuts. Many sell their cars because it keep giving them problems and will understate these to you when you go to check it out. Im assuming you want a 5sp I highly recommend getting one out the door instead of getting an automatic. Just remember to take your time and don't get gassed off the first one you check out. Try and talk the owner down too if you feel the price is too high or if you find faults that weren't mentioned.
Man,  good eye.

Your main focus right now OP should be purchasing a quality 240sx. Easier said than done. If you're not mechanically inclined I highly recommend you have a mechanic look it over. Electrical, Mechanical, Suspension, Body etc. Carfax it, but know that it doesn't always tell you the big pictures. My 240sx for example was in an accident and the carfax shows it as clean. Have a Leakdown and Vacuum test done on the car. Any competent technician will be able to do this for you. It might seem like a hassle taking it somewhere to be inspected but it can save you thousands of dollars and many headaches.

I can't stress that enough, have someone completely look it over. I'd also avoid purchasing one that's already been heavily modded. It might seem fast and like everything is in working order but many people take shortcuts. Many sell their cars because it keep giving them problems and will understate these to you when you go to check it out. Im assuming you want a 5sp I highly recommend getting one out the door instead of getting an automatic. Just remember to take your time and don't get gassed off the first one you check out. Try and talk the owner down too if you feel the price is too high or if you find faults that weren't mentioned.
Man,  good eye.

Back
Top Bottom