LOST (GOAT SERIES) OFFICIAL THREAD VOL YOU CAN GO NOW.

I can't believe dude wrote all that.
laugh.gif

A TV show got you to think, get riled up and write all that (did not read lol *dance), what other show is like that in recent memory? heck, ever? show may have been disjointed and misleading at times, but i enjoyed the ride.

That was a long read, but definitely worth it. That open letter.

That dude's ending and plotline woulda been 10x better than what we ended up with.
eek.gif

Originally Posted by franchise3

That was a long read, but definitely worth it. That open letter.

That dude's ending and plotline woulda been 10x better than what we ended up with.
eek.gif
I agree entirely with that open letter too.
The plot and ending he discussed is similar to what I had been expecting. This whole Sideways world could have been used in that manner and it is rather ridiculous that they ended the whole series with that. I don't believe the BS from the writers that it is all about characters, when they used the mysteries to bait us. Hell, look at the boxset they are releasing, it comes with hieroglyphs, ankh, black & white stones, playing board.

Since everyone in this thread followed the entire series, you should all just let go, word to Jack. I'm a man of faith now
pimp.gif

laugh.gif
@ that open letter. You give any person with a good enough imagination, the money and let them work off of S5 and they could make their own ending where the ppl who hated the actual ending will say that version was better and even then there'd be ppl saying that ending was trash(sounds like something Marvel or DC used, probably both).

The ending of that letter did make me laugh though. All yall who didn't like it basically got fooled by a 6 year long con. Making yall naive and gullible like Locke trying to form a bond with his father or like anybody James conned.

At this point for the ppl who did like the finale looking at the ppl who didn't it's not about them getting and all of you missing it. It's the fact that you wasted 6 years on something where you ended up deciding you didn't like it or hated how it ended and therefore the entire show isn't good to you. Would've been better off like the ppl who stopped watching in S2 and are just going to pick up the box set and watch the entire series on their own time.

And I'm not buying "Cuse & Lindelof fooled us with this so I'll never trust them again and won't give them a chance next time."
roll.gif
like they're about to jump in to another tv action suspense mystery series or like yall probably won't watch and get caught up in it again if they do.

Originally Posted by Mark Antony

A TV show got you to think, get riled up and write all that (did not read lol *dance), what other show is like that in recent memory? heck, ever? show may have been disjointed and misleading at times, but i enjoyed the ride.

politicians get me riled up and pissed off too. that doesn't mean anything.

there is no way in hell that they went to ABC saying lets make a show that's an allegory for mankind's search for meaning. We are going to do this by throwing in random tidbits of philosophy, scientists, and mythology. then we are going to have crazy mysteries that we never intend on answering. and then everyone dies and hangs out together.

they shouldn't have moved on from the numbers and aaron/claire before solving them. that's what it comes down to. don't keep adding and adding and further complicating the plot all while promising fans that it will all make sense in the end

Originally Posted by Master Zik

The ending of that letter did make me laugh though. All yall who didn't like it basically got fooled by a 6 year long con. Making yall naive and gullible like Locke trying to form a bond with his father or like anybody James conned.
i don't think it's a matter of being gullible. the writers said it over and over again in interviews that it would all connect.

how is it gullible to expect them to deliver on a promise? there isn't much precedence for writers to lie about a show for years and years. you didn't believe that they would connect their own dots?

Originally Posted by Crazy EBW

Flash Forward was doomed from the beginning.

Hey hey hey!!! watch that, man I LOVED Flashforward 
pimp.gif
  man i'm sick that they ended it, but overall the ending was not bad at ALL.  Gonna get the series on DVD.

Originally Posted by DubA169

Originally Posted by FallenGodofWar

Did you write that?
hell no

i just thought parts of it were worth reading

Thank God you didn't write that cause I was going to tell you to go get a hug man. I mean I understand a show let you down but at the end of the day it's a show. I learned that with The Soprano's. I was pissed at the end but I let it go. This ending shouldn't be affecting people like this.

Did you write that?
hell no

Thank God you didn't write that cause I was going to tell you to go get a hug man. I mean I understand a show let you down but at the end of the day it's a show. I learned that with The Soprano's. I was pissed at the end but I let it go. This ending shouldn't be affecting people like this.
yeah i'm mad but i'm not THAT mad.
laugh.gif

The show is still in my top ten of all time, i'm just very dissapointed with them.
frown.gif
it's affected people so much because the writers had a direct relationship with their fans that hasn't been done before. People feel like they were directly lied to.

Nobody was asking Chase if the sopranos would all link up at the end... because it didn't matter for that show. Tony was either going to die or go to jail in the end. Lost on the other hand is the most complex show ever written. and these writers had podcasts every week. And kept saying "trust us it's all connected and we will handle it properly" it feels like they wasted so much time in season 6 with the alt timeline, just so they could say "we ran out of time guys!"

my friend has been freaking out over flash forward. he swears by it. i heard fringe is really good but i'm not gonna watch that until it's all said and done.

Did you write that?
hell no

yeah i'm mad but i'm not THAT mad.
laugh.gif

The show is still in my top ten of all time, i'm just very dissapointed with them.
frown.gif
it's affected people so much because the writers had a direct relationship with their fans that hasn't been done before. People feel like they were directly lied to.

Nobody was asking Chase if the sopranos would all link up at the end... because it didn't matter for that show. Tony was either going to die or go to jail in the end. Lost on the other hand is the most complex show ever written. and these writers had podcasts every week. And kept saying "trust us it's all connected and we will handle it properly" it feels like they wasted so much time in season 6 with the alt timeline, just so they could say "we ran out of time guys!"

my friend has been freaking out over flash forward. he swears by it. i heard fringe is really good but i'm not gonna watch that until it's all said and done.

I understand that but all the writers would get from me is a %@%@ you then I'll move on. Wasting time writing open letters and stuff they probably will never see nah that's just not me.

Fringe is a pretty good show. A nice theory I heard from a LOST fan was that they could connect the shows (possible same universe. I actually thought the sideways verse was Fringe) by adding Ms. Hawking. It would be ill.

i don't think it's a matter of being gullible. the writers said it over and over again in interviews that it would all connect.

how is it gullible to expect them to deliver on a promise? there isn't much precedence for writers to lie about a show for years and years. you didn't believe that they would connect their own dots?
The writers/creators have said they wouldn't do a lot of things and it's been proven to be outright lies. In the past they've said they would do certain things and have lied. The proposal for the show to ABC was a huge lie.

I see a lot of yall complaining about them promoting the mysteries with viral sites, podcasts, and what not(for monetary purposes obviously) like you were all obligated to have the show attached to your hip. I didn't need all that extra %+#+ for me to love the show. The most I did was sign up on lostpedia, argue, and look for spoilers.

It's funny how life imitates art in that it was more of a combo of Ben and James that got yall. Manipulated yall to the point where you were too far gone to come back and told the right lies and enough of them to string yall along to the end. The show just got greater in my eyes.

I have my problems with the show like yall and if I wrote it's definitely be better to me but I could say that about any type of entertainment I like. Thing is when I take the finish product from the ppl that made it I'll give my opinions and take it as is, not go on an on about how terrible the end was cuz it could've been worse like really bad. Going off prior seasons, knowing how the show was done the ending was pretty good.

Hopefully yall learned a lesson from all of that.

Enhanced Finale on ABC right now for anyone interested.
edit- 3,000!!!  Might as well leave it in the best show evers final thread.

Originally Posted by Simply Certified

Originally Posted by Crazy EBW

Flash Forward was doomed from the beginning.

Hey hey hey!!! watch that, man I LOVED Flashforward 
pimp.gif
  man i'm sick that they ended it, but overall the ending was not bad at ALL.  Gonna get the series on DVD.
I hope another network picks up FF

The writers/creators have said they wouldn't do a lot of things and it's been proven to be outright lies. In the past they've said they would do certain things and have lied. The proposal for the show to ABC was a huge lie.

I see a lot of yall complaining about them promoting the mysteries with viral sites, podcasts, and what not(for monetary purposes obviously) like you were all obligated to have the show attached to your hip. I didn't need all that extra %+#+ for me to love the show. The most I did was sign up on lostpedia, argue, and look for spoilers.

It's funny how life imitates art in that it was more of a combo of Ben and James that got yall. Manipulated yall to the point where you were too far gone to come back and told the right lies and enough of them to string yall along to the end. The show just got greater in my eyes.

I have my problems with the show like yall and if I wrote it's definitely be better to me but I could say that about any type of entertainment I like. Thing is when I take the finish product from the ppl that made it I'll give my opinions and take it as is, not go on an on about how terrible the end was cuz it could've been worse like really bad. Going off prior seasons, knowing how the show was done the ending was pretty good.

Hopefully yall learned a lesson from all of that.

I thought JJ would have included more things from LOST but to my knowledge so far, he had Oceanic Airlines in it, in the first season.

Originally Posted by MrONegative

Originally Posted by FlatbushFiyah23

yeah that article is perfect

the writers can go on whatever spin job they want. Many people feel deceived by them. have fun trying to keep a faithful audience with your next show. The trust is gone
Those who feel deceived simply just dont get it IMO.  
I think in America media consuming culture people constantly confuse not getting what they want in a story as being the same as not being good.  I can think of a ton of novels, movies or shows where I wanted something to end a certain way or a certain character to live or something in particular to be explained however those things not happening the way I wanted it to does not cloud my view of what I actually see and the storytelling in front of me. I really believe that some people in this thread along with other LOST fans are not able to appreciate the storytelling in the series for what it is because they did not get what they wanted.  Quite frankly, its sad to me that they just didn't get and I feel sorry that after six seasons they didn't get it or feel cheated (even though nothing was owed to them at all). 
At what point did the article, myself or Dub say that we didn't like Lost? I think in this thread people like you constantly confuse criticism and not liking certain aspects of what the show turned out to be as saying the show isn't good. We're the same people who would still put Lost in our top 5 shows of all time. You got some serious conflation issues.
At what point in what I posted did I state that you Dub or the article said you didnt like LOST?? I was simply commenting on the writer of the article along with others in this thread saying that they feel as though they were "cheated" or "deceived" by the writers. I never said anything about anyone not liking the entire series. So I think you should read again before you get all defensive and start pointing fingers. I adressed the majority of American media consuming culture to be specific FYI...my commentary did not solely apply to LOST but obviously you missed that. 

Originally Posted by MrONegative

yeah that article is perfect

the writers can go on whatever spin job they want. Many people feel deceived by them. have fun trying to keep a faithful audience with your next show. The trust is gone
Those who feel deceived simply just dont get it IMO.  
I think in America media consuming culture people constantly confuse not getting what they want in a story as being the same as not being good. I can think of a ton of novels, movies or shows where I wanted something to end a certain way or a certain character to live or something in particular to be explained however those things not happening the way I wanted it to does not cloud my view of what I actually see and the storytelling in front of me. I really believe that some people in this thread along with other LOST fans are not able to appreciate the storytelling in the series for what it is because they did not get what they wanted. Quite frankly, its sad to me that they just didn't get and I feel sorry that after six seasons they didn't get it or feel cheated (even though nothing was owed to them at all).
At what point did the article, myself or Dub say that we didn't like Lost? I think in this thread people like you constantly confuse criticism and not liking certain aspects of what the show turned out to be as saying the show isn't good. We're the same people who would still put Lost in our top 5 shows of all time. You got some serious conflation issues.
At what point in what I posted did I state that you Dub or the article said you didnt like LOST?? I was simply commenting on the writer of the article along with others in this thread saying that they feel as though they were "cheated" or "deceived" by the writers. I never said anything about anyone not liking the entire series. So I think you should read again before you get all defensive and start pointing fingers. I adressed the majority of American media consuming culture to be specific FYI...my commentary did not solely apply to LOST but obviously you missed that.
You can't have it both ways. You can't say that we feel cheated and deceived by Lost, but somehow still like and even love most of the show. That's when I ask, well what the +%$! is your point then? We're criticizing the way a show we liked ended. Not getting it, would be not liking most of the show. It's telling people who like the show they're stupid, it'd be not watching every episode, not buying the DVDs, asking why isn't this canceled yet every year and calling everyone who still watches it suckers.

That's what not getting it is. When I saw I Am Legend in theaters and told my dude the ending sucked. He was like, what you didn't get it?

See that was a movie that changed a ton from the book. It changed the dynamics of the book, brought in it's own elements and themes. But when all was said and done, you could feel it in the theater after the movie ended. Even this older couple next to me said to each other, it felt like something was missing. The teaser trailers from a year before had shots that for some reason didn't make the final cut. The setup and mystery didn't mesh with what the ending turned out to be. Then a couple months later the alternate ending got out.

Basically Will Smith's character was the last guy alive. A virus changed everyone into these kind of animal vampires. Surprise surprise he's a military scientist who was working on a cure. Early on he traps a female vamp and this male jumps out into the sun to growl at him and then runs back. The first sign they're intelligent. In a flashback, his daughter tells him to 'look for the butterfly.' Fast forward to the end and they've tracked him home and have him trapped in his lab. His last tests managed to cure the female, but they're about to break through and kill him. That male vamp is the leader of their pack.

If you didn't watch it, the male vamp stops halfway through ramming the door down. He draws a butterfly on the glass door. Will remembers what his daughter said ethereally and lifts the females shoulder. She's got a butterfly tattoo. He took the male's mate. A tense scene happens where Will opens the door and slowly gives the female back. All the soldier vamps are ready to tear him apart but the leader calls them off. Yada yada, the end.... Instead of that, in the original cut they keep ramming the door. This chick who saved Will a couple scenes before hides in a duct with the cure in hand. Will lets the vamps in, sets off a few grenades and kills himself and them. The lady and her kid drive off the sanctuary with a cure.

Now...in a way. The original ending we got to I Am Legend worked. It builds up on themes that we saw from the get go. It mixed tragedy with bitter hope. On the one hand people have a cure and there's this Christian safe haven for them now. But these are still violent animals who would just end up as something like Simon Pegg's friend at the end of Shaun of the Dead at best. But this ending is much more than that.

I think the original ending would be a lot easier to take, if they added 45 minutes between when Alice Braga's character showed up and the attack, they could've propped up her character to better take over the story. They could've better projected his disbelief in safe haven for some type of irony or at least repeated those scenes over and over until it was hammered in to expect them to be more important that whatever else we expected. In other words, they could've spent 16 episodes changing the tone of what had come before and resetting many of themes so that the ending would seem somewhat fitting in respect to what had immediately come before it.
nerd.gif

Anyways...with the alternate ending to I Am Legend, these creatures still had some of their humanity. That alpha male was acting enraged because of his human emotions and humanity, not his lack of them. When Will looked over to the wall of test subjects, he realized what he'd been doing without thinking. If almost everyone was one of them, and he'd been doing this to them: hunting and kidnapping them when they sleep and hide, leaving no trace. Then he was to them, what he thought they were to him.

But even that's wrong. It would've been more like the ending of Lost, if before he went crazy after his dog died and tried to kill himself on that pier, he figured out that he found the cure. Then he spent the last half hour curing everyone, found safe haven and somehow brought his dog back to life.

You're trying to claim American culture as a reason people didn't like the ending. American culture is how the show became a pop phenomenon and besides, most people liked the ending just fine. Just for some of us, the ending that was implied through and at the end of Season 5, is pretty different and in some ways ignored by the whole last season.

We could've guessed it was as simple as dude dies at the end and ends up in purgatory from the 3rd episode. Just because they reset the narrative at the beginning of this season, so that they could reintroduce limbo without discounting the mysteries and story lines that we wanted resolved, doesn't mean the show isn't that they all died and went to purgatory. When that's the part that they stress the most and want us to change (or I guess reassure in your case) our focus to, it's what the show is all about.

It's that they didn't fall into the traps that JJ (Alias) or Chris Carter (X-Files) did when they were trying to explain what they were gonna do with their show's mythologies.

Damon and Carlton dodged out of one of the problems that hit those shows, by not having an endless amount of episodes to plot out. On the upside, they got the show lean and focused. On the other, it feels like they had too little pressure on them, because they knew when the show was going to end 2 years too early. Because their shorter season format with no mid-season breaks meant they never had to hear or accept criticism again. By the time any objections fans had with the season were voiced, they were 10 or 12 episodes past them in a 14 episode season and they always have great finales.

That's the type of freedom movies give you, where you can build off people's anticipations for a sequel and only hear it from fans after that big opening weekend happens. (Indiana Jones IV)

I'm done typing.
eyes.gif

you can't blame american culture because most americans were happy with the finale. And that's such a cop out. i like dozens of ambiguous stories and movies, both foreign and domestic, but i hated season 6 as a whole.

the way they ended the series is more american than anything else. C'mon the show ended with them in a damn church and the white american doctor was the hero of the show who got the girl he wanted in the end. there is nothing particularly creative about that.

and there is a giant difference between something ambiguous, and playing Mad Libs. That's how i feel about the show after it's all said and done. i played a giant game of mad libs. Now some people love that, i just think it's lazy and sloppy writing

if you like ambiguous stories i suggest you read "childhood's end" by arthur C clarke. that's a book that presents questions in the first section and answers alot of them but in a very ambiguous manner. But it doesn't feel like you are playing a game of mad libs. one of my favorite books. it's about mankind's place in the universe.

did they say anything interesting in the enhanced episode?

Back
Top Bottom