LOST (GOAT SERIES) OFFICIAL THREAD VOL YOU CAN GO NOW.

i got my homegirl into lost by watching the finale with her and now im going through the series again and her for the first time.

lost is going to get me laid<3

Originally Posted by MrONegative

Originally Posted by FlatbushFiyah23

Originally Posted by DubA169

yeah that article is perfect

the writers can go on whatever spin job they want. Many people feel deceived by them. have fun trying to keep a faithful audience with your next show. The trust is gone
Those who feel deceived simply just dont get it IMO. �
I think in America media consuming culture people constantly confuse not getting what they want in a story as being the same as not being good. �I can think of a ton of novels, movies or shows where I wanted something to end a certain way or a certain character to live or something in particular to be explained however those things not happening the way I wanted it to does not cloud my view of what I actually see and the storytelling in front of me. I really believe that some people in this thread along with other LOST fans are not able to appreciate the storytelling in the series for what it is because they did not get what they wanted. �Quite frankly, its sad to me that they just didn't get and I feel sorry that after six seasons they didn't get it or feel cheated (even though nothing was owed to them at all).
At what point did the article, myself or Dub say that we didn't like Lost? I think in this thread people like you constantly confuse criticism and not liking certain aspects of what the show turned out to be as saying the show isn't good. We're the same people who would still put Lost in our top 5 shows of all time. You got some serious conflation issues.
At what point in what I posted did I state that you Dub or the article said you didnt like LOST?? I was simply commenting on the writer of the article along with others in this thread saying that they feel as though they were "cheated" or "deceived" by the writers. I never said anything about anyone not liking the entire series. So I think you should read again before you get all defensive and start pointing fingers. I adressed the majority of American media consuming culture to be specific FYI...my commentary did not solely apply to LOST but obviously you missed that.
You can't have it both ways. You can't say that we feel cheated and deceived by Lost, but somehow still like and even love most of the show. That's when I ask, well what the +%$! is your point then? We're criticizing the way a show we liked ended. Not getting it, would be not liking most of the show. It's telling people who like the show they're stupid, it'd be not watching every episode, not buying the DVDs, asking why isn't this canceled yet every year and calling everyone who still watches it suckers.

That's what not getting it is. When I saw I Am Legend in theaters and told my dude the ending sucked. He was like, what you didn't get it?

See that was a movie that changed a ton from the book. It changed the dynamics of the book, brought in it's own elements and themes. But when all was said and done, you could feel it in the theater after the movie ended. Even this older couple next to me said to each other, it felt like something was missing. The teaser trailers from a year before had shots that for some reason didn't make the final cut. The setup and mystery didn't mesh with what the ending turned out to be. Then a couple months later the alternate ending got out.

Basically Will Smith's character was the last guy alive. A virus changed everyone into these kind of animal vampires. Surprise surprise he's a military scientist who was working on a cure. Early on he traps a female vamp and this male jumps out into the sun to growl at him and then runs back. The first sign they're intelligent. In a flashback, his daughter tells him to 'look for the butterfly.' Fast forward to the end and they've tracked him home and have him trapped in his lab. His last tests managed to cure the female, but they're about to break through and kill him. That male vamp is the leader of their pack.

If you didn't watch it, the male vamp stops halfway through ramming the door down. He draws a butterfly on the glass door. Will remembers what his daughter said ethereally and lifts the females shoulder. She's got a butterfly tattoo. He took the male's mate. A tense scene happens where Will opens the door and slowly gives the female back. All the soldier vamps are ready to tear him apart but the leader calls them off. Yada yada, the end.... Instead of that, in the original cut they keep ramming the door. This chick who saved Will a couple scenes before hides in a duct with the cure in hand. Will lets the vamps in, sets off a few grenades and kills himself and them. The lady and her kid drive off the sanctuary with a cure.

Now...in a way. The original ending we got to I Am Legend worked. It builds up on themes that we saw from the get go. It mixed tragedy with bitter hope. On the one hand people have a cure and there's this Christian safe haven for them now. But these are still violent animals who would just end up as something like Simon Pegg's friend at the end of Shaun of the Dead at best. But this ending is much more than that.

I think the original ending would be a lot easier to take, if they added 45 minutes between when Alice Braga's character showed up and the attack, they could've propped up her character to better take over the story. They could've better projected his disbelief in safe haven for some type of irony or at least repeated those scenes over and over until it was hammered in to expect them to be more important that whatever else we expected. In other words, they could've spent 16 episodes changing the tone of what had come before and resetting many of themes so that the ending would seem somewhat fitting in respect to what had immediately come before it.
nerd.gif

Anyways...with the alternate ending to I Am Legend, these creatures still had some of their humanity. That alpha male was acting enraged because of his human emotions and humanity, not his lack of them. When Will looked over to the wall of test subjects, he realized what he'd been doing without thinking. If almost everyone was one of them, and he'd been doing this to them: hunting and kidnapping them when they sleep and hide, leaving no trace. Then he was to them, what he thought they were to him.

But even that's wrong. It would've been more like the ending of Lost, if before he went crazy after his dog died and tried to kill himself on that pier, he figured out that he found the cure. Then he spent the last half hour curing everyone, found safe haven and somehow brought his dog back to life.

You're trying to claim American culture as a reason people didn't like the ending. American culture is how the show became a pop phenomenon and besides, most people liked the ending just fine. Just for some of us, the ending that was implied through and at the end of Season 5, is pretty different and in some ways ignored by the whole last season.

We could've guessed it was as simple as dude dies at the end and ends up in purgatory from the 3rd episode. Just because they reset the narrative at the beginning of this season, so that they could reintroduce limbo without discounting the mysteries and story lines that we wanted resolved, doesn't mean the show isn't that they all died and went to purgatory. When that's the part that they stress the most and want us to change (or I guess reassure in your case) our focus to, it's what the show is all about.

It's that they didn't fall into the traps that JJ (Alias) or Chris Carter (X-Files) did when they were trying to explain what they were gonna do with their show's mythologies.

Damon and Carlton dodged out of one of the problems that hit those shows, by not having an endless amount of episodes to plot out. On the upside, they got the show lean and focused. On the other, it feels like they had too little pressure on them, because they knew when the show was going to end 2 years too early. Because their shorter season format with no mid-season breaks meant they never had to hear or accept criticism again. By the time any objections fans had with the season were voiced, they were 10 or 12 episodes past them in a 14 episode season and they always have great finales.

That's the type of freedom movies give you, where you can build off people's anticipations for a sequel and only hear it from fans after that big opening weekend happens. (Indiana Jones IV)

I'm done typing.
eyes.gif
Mr O Negative I enjoyed reading your points regarding I AM Legend which is a movie I enjoyed as well. I didn't think that ending was bad but I think the fact the writers tried to force Will Smith remembering what his daughter said about the butterfly was forced and did not fit.  I actually had never seen the alternate ending so thanks for posting it and I am not sure if I like that ending anymore than the original. I respect but your points and Dub's points...if you did not like the shows ending then that is cool. 

All I am pointing once again out whether you think it is fair or not is that in American media consuming culture I really believe that people confuse something not being good because it didst end the way they thought it would end or the way that they specifically want it to end.  Sometimes peoples feelings towards an ending based on expectations totally allow them to miss what actually went on throughout the entire show, movie or book etc.

It is fair to criticize American culture although American culture made the show a pop culture phenomenon because it has been proven that American media consuming culture as opposed to the rest of the world is not as receptive to open ending in media.  We (most of us) like finality and everything to be tied up particularly in a happy ending.  I have read a few scholarly articles on this subject and will post if I can find them FYI.  Personally not saying to you directly but I do believe this factors into some peoples dislike for the ending of this show.  They wanted finality and every question to be answered and when that didn't happen they were totally disappointed and angry. 

Do I think those people missed out on the good things about the show this season and the finale? Yes I do.

By no means do I think it was a great finale. I guess for me it just it is what it is...it wasnt amazing nor was I even expecting that. I just hoped the writers would wrap up the storyline efficiently without killing character development in the final season and I do believe that was achieved.

In other words, they could've spent 16 episodes changing the tone of what had come before and resetting many of themes so that the ending would seem somewhat fitting in respect to what had immediately come before it.
nerd.gif

You're trying to claim American culture as a reason people didn't like the ending. American culture is how the show became a pop phenomenon and besides, most people liked the ending just fine. Just for some of us, the ending that was implied through and at the end of Season 5, is pretty different and in some ways ignored by the whole last season.

We could've guessed it was as simple as dude dies at the end and ends up in purgatory from the 3rd episode. Just because they reset the narrative at the beginning of this season, so that they could reintroduce limbo without discounting the mysteries and story lines that we wanted resolved, doesn't mean the show isn't that they all died and went to purgatory. When that's the part that they stress the most and want us to change (or I guess reassure in your case) our focus to, it's what the show is all about.

It's that they didn't fall into the traps that JJ (Alias) or Chris Carter (X-Files) did when they were trying to explain what they were gonna do with their show's mythologies.

Damon and Carlton dodged out of one of the problems that hit those shows, by not having an endless amount of episodes to plot out. On the upside, they got the show lean and focused. On the other, it feels like they had too little pressure on them, because they knew when the show was going to end 2 years too early. Because their shorter season format with no mid-season breaks meant they never had to hear or accept criticism again. By the time any objections fans had with the season were voiced, they were 10 or 12 episodes past them in a 14 episode season and they always have great finales.

That's the type of freedom movies give you, where you can build off people's anticipations for a sequel and only hear it from fans after that big opening weekend happens. (Indiana Jones IV)

I'm done typing.
eyes.gif
Mr O Negative I enjoyed reading your points regarding I AM Legend which is a movie I enjoyed as well. I didn't think that ending was bad but I think the fact the writers tried to force Will Smith remembering what his daughter said about the butterfly was forced and did not fit.� I actually had never seen the alternate ending so thanks for posting it and I am not sure if I like that ending anymore than the original. I respect but your points and Dub's points...if you did not like the shows ending then that is cool.�

All I am pointing once again out whether you think it is fair or not is that in American media consuming culture I really believe that people confuse something not being good because it didst end the way they thought it would end or the way that they specifically want it to end.� Sometimes peoples feelings towards an ending based on expectations totally allow them to miss what actually went on throughout the entire show, movie or book etc.

It is fair to criticize American culture although American culture made the show a pop culture phenomenon because it has been proven that American media consuming culture as opposed to the rest of the world is not as receptive to open ending in media.� We (most of us) like finality and everything to be tied up particularly in a happy ending.� I have read a few scholarly articles on this subject and will post if I can find them FYI.� Personally not saying to you directly but I do believe this factors into some peoples dislike for the ending of this show.� They wanted finality and every question to be answered and when that didn't happen they were totally disappointed and angry.�

Do I think those people missed out on the good things about the show this season and the finale? Yes I do.

By no means do I think it was a great finale. I guess for me it just it is what it is...it wasnt amazing nor was I even expecting that. I just hoped the writers would wrap up the storyline efficiently without killing character development in the final season and I do believe that was achieved.
^ I think this is a kinda reasonable middle ground.

My biggest thing with this season is the deconstruction of Lost god-figures. I can respect it, if there's some type of greater meaning to it. They did a decent job of showing that Jacob wasn't this all-seeing all-knowing god, and how simple beliefs need real doubt and perspective, before you mortgage you and everyone you care about's futures on them.

But then there's Smokey. Why did they do this to Smokey? They made him look like a chump. Yea he killed everyone. But it got hard to understand how he can massacre everyone one second and then take a day or 2 to crawl across the island to get anything done. And it worked in LA X, the dynamic of what it meant that someone who cared and believed so much was now this terrible thing. But then it just turned into a joke. He had that hammy Locke-face all season and it just got annoying to see him.

Then there's Widmore.
indifferent.gif
Just...why?

The worst part was that since there was nothing else going on except stuff that would answer the last 5 seasons or what the ALT universe was. That meant almost every conversation had that empty Lost talk where they leave out three words that would explain everything from every line. If the season was 8 or 10 episodes, they could've maybe made it work. I just know that Season 5, Lost was must-see think about all week TV. Last season most of my friends were 'I'll check my DVR Wednesday or Thursday and forget about it til next week' with Lost.

I assumed, the finale might not live up to my expectations, but I never would've guessed that it'd be that much better than the season itself. Especially after that premiere.

I'm still mad there won't be a new season next year.

Originally Posted by FallenGodofWar

Originally Posted by Mark Antony

Don't watch battlestar galactica bruh.

Yea I've heard that ending made people want to burn their DVDs of it.
smh.gif
I just finished the series finale a few minutes ago.  I thought the show was amazing and will interest anyone who loves science fiction.  The ending wasn't bad, it was unexpected.  People probably only had a problem with the last 3 minutes.  The problem with some of these popular shows is that we love the beginning and middle so much that we expect the endings to be even better.  It's hard for the writers to figure out how to end it on a high note.

Originally Posted by shogun

smh.gif
I just finished the series finale a few minutes ago.  I thought the show was amazing and will interest anyone who loves science fiction.  The ending wasn't bad, it was unexpected.  People probably only had a problem with the last 3 minutes.  The problem with some of these popular shows is that we love the beginning and middle so much that we expect the endings to be even better.  It's hard for the writers to figure out how to end it on a high note.

supposedly they was ending at Season 4 and all the fans said it was a great way to do it. Then they got renewed for a 5 season. I read the ending and was like wow really?
Spoiler [+]
Angels tho? +++?

Originally Posted by Mastamind89

Originally Posted by Simply Certified

Originally Posted by Crazy EBW

Flash Forward was doomed from the beginning.

Hey hey hey!!! watch that, man I LOVED Flashforward 
pimp.gif
  man i'm sick that they ended it, but overall the ending was not bad at ALL.  Gonna get the series on DVD.
I hope another network picks up FF

I LOVED flashforward as well.  Pissed it was cancelled.  Has there been any word on if there are any interested networks?

smh.gif

supposedly they was ending at Season 4 and all the fans said it was a great way to do it. Then they got renewed for a 5 season. I read the ending and was like wow really?
Spoiler [+]
Angels tho? +++?
It ended at Season 4.  I understand how the ending would've left people scratching their heads and not liking it.  I guess you'd have to be open minded to accept the 2 characters at the end.  If you think about it, those 2 were similar to Jacob and his brother.  They were there to lead people down a certain path and see if the good nature or the ugly nature of people would show.  In Battlestar Galactica, they tied in the concept of religion pretty well.  Faith was all that they had left and looked to it to save them.  Don't let the ending stop you from watching it.  The series is well-written, great character development, plot and shows the struggle between government/military/religion. 

smh.gif

Spoiler [+]
Angels tho? +++?
It ended at Season 4.  I understand how the ending would've left people scratching their heads and not liking it.  I guess you'd have to be open minded to accept the 2 characters at the end.  If you think about it, those 2 were similar to Jacob and his brother.  They were there to lead people down a certain path and see if the good nature or the ugly nature of people would show.  In Battlestar Galactica, they tied in the concept of religion pretty well.  Faith was all that they had left and looked to it to save them.  Don't let the ending stop you from watching it.  The series is well-written, great character development, plot and shows the struggle between government/military/religion. 

eh....maybe. Is Capra (or w/e its called) any good?

^
I haven't checked out Caprica yet.  It seems to have a very different feel since it's a prequel series.  I read the synopsis and the show focuses on 2 rival families, organized crime and technology development.

^ I feel ya crazy ebw, today it finally hit me that Lost is done. Every Tuesday night ( this season ) me and the fellas would get together for Lost nights, we watched about 10 deep and we would take turns bringing food and drinks. I woke up today and thought to myself, damn, just another Tuesday with no Lost to look forward too. I've had a few shows I took serious, the sopranos, the first few seasons of prison break but nothing on the level of lost. I really do have a feeling that I will never care for or follow a show like Lost. Once again I wanna thank all you guys for keeping this great thread going, it was great reading all your posts after an episode of Lost would end. I'm gonna miss seeing a spoiler tag and wondering what the hell it is and scrolling down. I'm always gonna miss the " it's lost Tuesday pictures " lol. We'll guys the show is gone, this Tuesday came and went, time to enjoy life without lost, that is till the DVD extras and the lost books lol

Woke up this morning w/no LOST to look forward to. 
frown.gif
 6 great seasons and I was satisfied w/the ending, they could have explained a few things more IMO but I didn't really expect an epic ending - my two other favorite TV shows - Sopranos & Seinfeld left me scratching my head as well. I think once I cop the complete set and watch it all the way through ill pick up on more things and put more of it together. It's hard to remember everything and put it together when there were so many breaks between seasons/episodes. Me and the wifey can't wait until the blu-ray set releases. I put her on LOST at the beginning of season 6 and she was so intrigued she watched seasons 1-5 and caught up in 3-4 days when she had the flu.
laugh.gif

Anyone trying to buy any of the set-props from those auctions? 

My girl wants to buy some of those Dharma beer cans.
laugh.gif
Farradays journal would be ill too!
laugh.gif
Did the auctions start already or is it done? link/info would be much appreciated!

Speaking of that fail safe key...
My alarm just went off and you know exactly what it is

Much shorter tho. Ends with the hatch exploding/imploding. I love that alarm

The auction is going to be nuts.
I want some of the stuff but I know everything's going to go for crazyyyyyy prices.

bernard and rose did

i have an odd question. why the hell did sawyer go out on a date with that redhead that faraday loves? in the "waiting room" what part of purgatory is that about? most of the purgatory stuff makes no sense if you rewatch season 6. why was keamy there? why was mikhail in Jin's happy place?

what was so important about the little changes we saw in the premier? you know like Cindy giving Jack one bottle instead of two? why was sawyer still searching for the real sawyer in this "waiting room"? everything in the alt seems like such a waste of time. they just wanted to throw off the scent of purgatory.

i think u guys killed season 6 for me... im gonna pretend i didnt read what i just read..........................

Back
Top Bottom