Man dies on subway as photographer takes a picture for NY POST, Update: Photographer speaks (P. 4)

IMO a war photojournalist has more than enough skill to cover a wedding or any type of event coverage. Photojournalist not only have the "eye" for photography and moments, but they also have the bravery to go out and get a curtain shot.

I'm sorry but that's not true, just because you are a Great War photojournalist does not make you a great wedding photographer, people specialize in certain fields of photography and master that field or at least try, a photographer that claims can do it all for the most part is probably a crappy one, give your uncle a newborn and ask him to pull this off.

View media item 159961
Not taking anything away from your uncle but if he's not a wedding photographer don't say he can rock out a wedding because chances are he can't, no matter how well he knows his camera.

Last edited:
doesnt the video show the "crazed" man yelling to leave him alone???..
just saying.
pushing someone onto the tracks is too much for any reason buuttttttttt.....
Yeah but accidently killing someone is manslaughter no?

Unless I am getting the definition of manslaughter wrong...

Yeah but accidently killing someone is manslaughter no?

Unless I am getting the definition of manslaughter wrong...

Involuntary manslaughter, unless the "killer" MEANT to kill or do major damage

but i hear what you saying, tho...

NYC is a wild place especially on the MTA trains,,

I'm sorry but that's not true, just because you are a Great War photojournalist does not make you a great wedding photographer, people specialize in certain fields of photography and master that field or at least try, a photographer that claims can do it all for the most part is probably a crappy one, give your uncle a newborn and ask him to pull this off.

Not taking anything away from your uncle but if he's not a wedding photographer don't say he can rock out a wedding because chances are he can't, no matter how well he knows his camera.

looks gross dude

Just found out this was the father of one of my classmates in high school. Sweet girl, wish I could call and give my condolences.
Couple of friends are chipping in money so we can send some flowers to the funeral, help out whatever way we can.
The girl was a friend of mine, shared about 3-4 classes. Knew her since freshman year.

Just found out this was the father of one of my classmates in high school. Sweet girl, wish I could call and give my condolences.
Couple of friends are chipping in money so we can send some flowers to the funeral, help out whatever way we can.
The girl was a friend of mine, shared about 3-4 classes. Knew her since freshman year.

shes korean right?

View media item 159961Not taking anything away from your uncle but if he's not a wedding photographer don't say he can rock out a wedding because chances are he can't, no matter how well he knows his camera.

Not sure what that photo has to do with wedding coverage vs a photojournalist. No hate, but I'm pretty sure anyone that has an understanding of photography with a 85mm f/1.4 or 50mm f/1.4 lens can pull that shot off. Now if that newborn baby some how held it's own head up and you just so happened to be there. That is another story. Btw not my uncle, just me giving my two cents.

one thing i don't understand- if he got run over by a train, how did they manage to get his body out? or was it on the side as it is on the pic? i've been to ny and there is barely any space between the platform and the subway

Not sure what that photo has to do with wedding coverage vs a photojournalist. No hate, but I'm pretty sure anyone that has an understanding of photography with a 85mm f/1.4 or 50mm f/1.4 lens can pull that shot off. Now if that newborn baby some how held it's own head up and you just so happened to be there. That is another story. Btw not my uncle, just me giving my two cents.

Just giving perspective on photography, many people make the mistake of assuming that if you are a photographer, you can cover ANY type of photography and not only thy but there are photographers who actually feel if they know how to shoot modeling editorials per say, they can also tackle newborn photography, which is absolute ********, I posted that picture because I've done newborn photography and I can bet my life that there is no war photojournalist who can pick up a camera and the best of lenses and a newborn for the first time and hand me this shot, NO WAY.

Don't take this the wrong way, but by you saying anyone can get this shot given the equipment shows your ignorance on the topic, not your fault really.

#tears @ you saying a 3 day old baby randomly holds up its head like that and poses while asleep...c'mon man...lmao.

Anyways thread is derailing.

am I misinformed or can you survive if you lay down in the center of the tracks?

serious
nerd.gif
Try it and come back and post

am I misinformed or can you survive if you lay down in the center of the tracks?
serious :nerd:

Always thought about this, I'd think you have to be a small persons and even then all it takes is for one metal piece from under the train to hit you or a sudden movement and you'll get ripped to pieces.

Just giving perspective on photography, many people make the mistake of assuming that if you are a photographer, you can cover ANY type of photography and not only thy but there are photographers who actually feel if they know how to shoot modeling editorials per say, they can also tackle newborn photography, which is absolute ********, I posted that picture because I've done newborn photography and I can bet my life that there is no war photojournalist who can pick up a camera and the best of lenses and a newborn for the first time and hand me this shot, NO WAY.
Don't take this the wrong way, but by you saying anyone can get this shot given the equipment shows your ignorance on the topic, not your fault really.
#tears @ you saying a 3 day old baby randomly holds up its head like that and poses while asleep...c'mon man...lmao.
Anyways thread is derailing.

Yes the thread is derailing. Not ignorant to the subject of photography btw. We started the discussion about a war photojournalist doing a wedding gig, both of which are event coverage. Just different subjects being covered. Then you threw in the editorial photography and studio work. I guess you didn't pick up the sarcasm in the baby comment. All good tho. haha

Yes the thread is derailing. Not ignorant to the subject of photography btw. We started the discussion about a war photojournalist doing a wedding gig, both of which are event coverage. Just different subjects being covered. Then you threw in the editorial photography and studio work. I guess you didn't pick up the sarcasm in the baby comment. All good tho. haha

I didn't get the sarcasm, my bad...lol

Event coverage or not, it's all the same, a club photographer won't be able to document a war through photos, a war photographer is not going to be able to cover, say an Indian wedding...they are events, but is more than just pushing that butting and knowing your gear.

IMO a war photojournalist has more than enough skill to cover a wedding or any type of event coverage. Photojournalist not only have the "eye" for photography and moments, but they also have the bravery to go out and get a curtain shot.

Not trying to continue the de-rail.

Let me throw in a two cents here...

I do agree with you that photographers specialize. I mean, obviously it's better to shoot stuff you have a natural knack for, and a strong passion for. However, some photographers out there do have a range of capabilities. They're able to shoot more than one style of photography and be very good at different styles and setups. Many of my younger photographer friends say they don't shoot weddings cause they're not wedding photographers. But an older photographer said to me as you get older, and you expand your talents, you can shoot anything well, you just choose not to (thus the obviously shown love for portraits below). Sidenote: I'm not a pro photographer, just more of a hobbyist. But I figure shooting players at a football match or wildlife is a bit different from shooting an event like baptising or wedding. But I don't know if that's something you can just learn over time.

All from the same photographer...

This man, has shot 80s glamour work, wars in Africa (I didn't post his war photos cause they're a bit gruesome), funerals, politicians, celebrities, poverty, jazz events, rap events etc

I certainly wouldn't say he would be a crappy wedding photographer. I just think he won't pay as much attention to detail because it doesn't capture his interests as much as his other passions. But, we'll see, since his daughter is getting married this month, I know there's a whole batch of wedding photos coming soon.

Last edited:
He's obviously a very good photographer and has been doing so for many years, so yes to an extent you are right, after many years of shooting you eventually know enough to be able to set your camera according to your environment to get good photos, however you'll lack the skill nessesary to know when these moments are coming before they do...stuff that doesn't have to do much with the technicality of photography itself, like; bonding with a couple to make them feel comfortable in front of a camera during an e-shoot, knowing how to pose a bride and groom without really posing them, capturing a wedding reception from more diverse angles and playing with your ambient light in different ways, knowing how much distance to give a bride and groom without missing those intimate moments, that can happen at any time, etc.

Case and point, the picture you posted of the newborn, that's a perfect example of a photographer who obviously knows how to work his camera and does great portraits, but is not doing anything other than just pointing the camera at the baby, there is no white noise machine, no temperature monitoring, no props, the task of having a baby fall in a deep enough sleep for you to be able to actually grab their hands and have them hold their head up, all while they sleep and at the perfect angle so that they don't slouch over, do you know how hard it is to pose a 4 day old baby like that?...lol...there is no 30 year seasoned wedding/war/journalist/fashion photog that can pull that off on a first try, just based on their knowledge of photography....I'm sure he'll do a good job on the wedding pics, but he won't be as great as a good dedicated wedding photog...the average Joe will be blown away regardless though.

Yall are bugging I would help the guy as best as I could, me as a man, as someone who would pray others would do for me, I'd struggle to pull him out.

That said based on this photo or even if he took one 3 seconds before it.... the train is coming in way too fast to do anything.

The trains do not stop until the front of the train reaches the front of the platform.

Photographer is a grade a ******* though, and nothing will tell me otherwise. I do believe there were many others closer who also froze up.

Question for the New Yorkers/Engineers. How come the subway platforms are a square piece of concrete instead of having platform with an overhang and a crawl space underneath for this type of situation? It seems like this happens too often with people having close calls with the train. Wouldn't that be a good safety measure to have in place to prevent this type of thing from happening?

Back
Top Bottom