Man dies on subway as photographer takes a picture for NY POST, Update: Photographer speaks (P. 4)

I'm sure he regrets it now, but you best believe the post didn't get this shot for free, he's a freelance photographers and trust me, photographers just don't Hand out their images....it was a terrible judgement call on his part, even worst by selling the image to the post....I undertad him not reacting to pull dude out, not everyone is built to be a hero and perhaps he thought he'd be risking his own life, trying to grab a panicking dude off the tracks you might just end up down there with him, it's much easier for a man to pull you down to him, than it is for you to pull him up.

Point taken, and I agree if it went down like you laid out.

But from the article, I had the impression that he took pictures and just turned his roll in. It wasn't like he was specifically shopping THE picture. I could be misinformed, and like I said, if it went down like you mentioned, that's dirty. But if he was just turning in all of his shots and the Post happened to use what they found, that might be another story, even if the photographer got paid for it.

If the latter, I believe it sheds more of a negative light on him than warranted.

Either way, I'm reiterating my point that we do not have the entire story to jump to conclusions, let alone call him a "douche bag" or what not.

Last edited:
How is the conductor suppose to know why this guy keeps flashing his camera and running.?

The photographer claimed he was just doing his job. Most people said he could have tried to shoo the vulture away. Some say he could have picked up the child and put her in a safer place.
Let's face it, it's a bit of a distasteful photo. We all know that bird was waiting for that girl to die, so it can eat.
Btw, the photographer committed suicide a few years later.

THIS. My dad was a photo journalist in 1984 during the riots/genocide in India, he helped as much as he could safely, because he knew the subject was always more important than the the picture.

All these photo-takers (cant even call em photographers :smh: ) with their little DSLR's runnin' round nowadays shooting crap weddings wouldnt even last out there.

THIS. My dad was a photo journalist in 1984 during the riots/genocide in India, he helped as much as he could safely, because he knew the subject was always more important than the the picture.
All these photo-takers (cant even call em photographers :smh: ) with their little DSLR's runnin' round nowadays shooting crap weddings wouldnt even last out there.

That's a harsh general statement, a war photojournalist wouldn't be able to perform in a wedding just like a wedding photographer wouldn't be able to last out on the field in the mist of gun powder, it's photography, just very different types of photography.

one of da few fights i ever took a L in was on da platform of a train station 15 yrs ago.

i got jumped by 5 goons trying to take my north face bubble, i cocked it back on one, but as soon as i caught

a decent shot, i just balled up until they were scared away, cuz i was afraid of being thrown from da narrow platform to da tracks.

i learned 2 things that day, no matter HOW MANY people are around, you might as well be by yourself because of bystander effect.

NEVER instigate a fight on da train platform, it could be your last ride.

one of da few fights i ever took a L in was on da platform of a train station 15 yrs ago.

i got jumped by 5 goons trying to take my north face bubble, i cocked it back on one, but as soon as i caught

a decent shot, i just balled up until they were scared away, cuz i was afraid of being thrown from da narrow platform to da tracks.

i learned 2 things that day, no matter HOW MANY people are around, you might as well be by yourself because of bystander effect.

Don't call them goons, they p*****s if they can't shoot the fair 1 on 1.

Last edited:
by stander effect? wouldnt that be be your in shock and just stay still and dont know what to do? this guy automatically started taken pics trying to get an
exclusive instead of helping the man out,, dude is trash. there's another pic he took where the guy is in the middle of the track and the train hadn't even come out of the tunnel yet so there was enough time to do something.

I wouldnt blame the photographer.  I bet he is going to be dealing with backlash both out in the world and in his own head for the rest of his life. 

Rarely doesn anyone in NY ever get involved, I remember a group of dudes trying to strip me off my Vanson on Fordham road in broad day light and no dambs were ever given by anyone....kind of sad.

A train platform is Definately the last place to entertain any sort of confrontation.

IDGAF about the photographer.....I hope that the scumbag who pushed this guy on the tracks get's only the worse things coming to him or into him or on him.

Like, okay people can be selfish like the photographer..."supposedly" but being an nyc'er and using the MTA so much in my life....to have someone push you onto the train tracks just strikes up something in me like a deep deep hatred of the psychotic trash that did this....like I can't process something like this....

As far as the photographer I don't think he did anything different than some hipsters or instagram kids in nyc....he is older and should have done something or whatever but man that psycho dude....thank god he was caught. Scum man....

That's a harsh general statement, a war photojournalist wouldn't be able to perform in a wedding just like a wedding photographer wouldn't be able to last out on the field in the mist of gun powder, it's photography, just very different types of photography.

That too is a general statement because one of my friends dad is a very good professional photographer, and he's shot wars, political conflict, poverty but also does weddings these days.

The man who pushed him is a real piece of work. I hope they kill him or lock the animal up for life. As for the photographer...we werent there...we will never really know....

I agree the photographer, and anyone around him, should've tried to help if they had enough time, but I can't blame them for being scared of being pushed or pulled down trying to help the guy.  RIP to the victim
tired.gif
.  The guy that pushed him deserves to be skinned, doused with gasoline, and lit on fire
mean.gif

Im not mad at the photographer...The aggressive panhandler that threw him on there doe... smfh.>: he should most definetly die for this. I see to many of these nut job panhandlers around my work. :smh:

I'm sure he regrets it now, but you best believe the post didn't get this shot for free, he's a freelance photographers and trust me, photographers just don't Hand out their images....it was a terrible judgement call on his part, even worst by selling the image to the post....I undertad him not reacting to pull dude out, not everyone is built to be a hero and perhaps he thought he'd be risking his own life, trying to grab a panicking dude off the tracks you might just end up down there with him, it's much easier for a man to pull you down to him, than it is for you to pull him up.
true... and me i think personally he was too far by time he wouldve got there.. it wouldve been nasty and i think dude didnt want that trauma

IMO dude was just doing his job. He could have got killed or hurt trying to help. Either way whatever happened, happened. All this "humanity" type talk is worthless. In this day & age it's every man for himself. Straight like that.

That picture is really pissing me off for some reason. :smh: Tabloids/garbage newspapers like this shouldnt be around.

The photographer doesn't make me mad, just the fact the magazines are publishing the pic. I hope the dude that pushed the victim gets what he deserves. 

Why the hell are yall assuming that the photographer was in a close enough distance to help the dude? Cameras have zoom features you know.

IMO dude was just doing his job. He could have got killed or hurt trying to help. Either way whatever happened, happened. All this "humanity" type talk is worthless. In this day & age it's every man for himself. Straight like that.

Ignorance is really bliss...

Using the flash to try to alert the conductor is seriously a terrible excuse. This man deserves all of the negative attention and criticism coming to him.

Why the hell are yall assuming that the photographer was in a close enough distance to help the dude? Cameras have zoom features you know.
Yes, cameras have zoom but he claims he didn't change any settings and was running towards the man taking pictures only for the flash. And yet the picture is not blurry, square with the ground, the man is right in the center, etc... Something in his story doesn't add up and it doesn't take much to realize it...

Aren't there security cameras in most subways? The truth will come out eventually... I hope I am wrong and he really did try to help but there's just too much pointing in the other direction...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom