Marcus Jordan wears PE Patent XIIs in UCF Exhibition Game & UCF Loses Adidas Contract........

[h2][/h2]
[h2]
marcus%20jordan.jpg

[/h2] [h2]
shoegate.jpg

[/h2] [h2]Shoegate: UCF Wins Game, But Loses Adidas Contract[/h2]Thursday, November 05, 2009 1:43:28 AM

Reported By Adam Longo

ORLANDO -- Do the shoes really make the man?

Michael Jordan's son, Marcus Jordan, took to the floor in his first game Wednesday for the University of Central Florida Knights.

It was UCF's first exhibition game. But a lot of the preseason hype has been focused around Jordan's shoes.

Jordan logged 10 minutes of playing time in the first half of the game in his trusty Air Jordans, the shoes he's likely worn his entire athletic career.

However, this new dream team could turn into a nightmare for UCF when the program's $2 million contract with adidas runs out next year.

According to the Associated Press, adidas chose to end its relationship with UCF Wednesday night. A spokeswoman said the school "has chosen not to deliver on their contractual commitment to adidas," prompting the company not to continue its relationship with the school moving forward.

Despite the shoe scandal, Jordan's presence alone is hyping up this young UCF team and fans.

"I would come to a game to see Michael Jordan," said junior Danny Martin. "(Even if he was just sitting there?) Even if he was just sitting there. Just so I could have a glimpse of him. Well I seen a legend in person, so I'm pretty sure other people feel the same way."

UCF beat Saint Leo 84-65. Wednesday night's game was UCF's only exhibition game.

UCF Athletics released a statement saying, "We are disappointed to learn that adidas has chosen to discontinue its relationship with UCF Athletics. Once we receive official notice we will be able to further respond."

since Nike (means JB as well) has no interest in sponsoring UCF, I'm thinking we will be sponsored by Under Armour or something.

2 million is a lot of money thay University is losing. Think about it, the other sports in that school loses out big time in sports equipment. Bad decision

Is Marcus good enough as a player for the school to side with him and lose a contract that sponsored many sports (bball, fball, tennis, soccer, baseball, golf,etc)?

Whoever is in charge of that athletic program needs to be fired. why would they throw away 2 million dollars in order to keep this guy on your team and let himwear some shoes he wants when hes not even a good player? and then he only plays 10 minutes? just cuz hes mikes son? daaaaannnnnnng

I can understand why HE did it... but I damn sure cant understand why UCF LET it happen. No one person is worth 2 Million at a small school like that whichbrings in no revenue BECAUSE of one student.

Its easy to say Jordan could take over the contract, but Jordan doesn't supply clothes and footwear for all their sports. Plus this wasn't a pure cashcontract.. it was mostly Product for all teams at UCF.

IMO Marcus is not the villan here. He asked for this before he signed, the school ok'd it with several adi reps, he signs and then adidas higher ups findout and go back on the deal...dude was even respectful enough to wear all white J's with no jumpman's or anything visible with adidas ankle braces. Anybody else and this would be a non-issue.

say what you want about biting the bullet and just wearing adi kicks, or about him being selfish, costing the school all this money, or being a bad teammate...but I respect homeboy for sticking to his convictions and making UCF and Adidas deliver on what he was promised.

Originally Posted by JinKazama

IMO Marcus is not the villan here. He asked for this before he signed, the school ok'd it with several adi reps, he signs and then adidas higher ups find out and go back on the deal...dude was even respectful enough to wear all white J's with no jumpman's or anything visible with adidas ankle braces. Anybody else and this would be a non-issue.

say what you want about biting the bullet and just wearing adi kicks, or about him being selfish, costing the school all this money, or being a bad teammate... but I respect homeboy for sticking to his convictions and making UCF and Adidas deliver on what he was promised.
couldn't have said it better

Originally Posted by Darkwing Duck

Whoever is in charge of that athletic program needs to be fired. why would they throw away 2 million dollars in order to keep this guy on your team and let him wear some shoes he wants when hes not even a good player? and then he only plays 10 minutes? just cuz hes mikes son? daaaaannnnnnng
only needs to be fired if jordan brand doesn't end up sponsoring the program. if the school gets the hype (jordan's son), as well as theshoe sponsorship, its a win-win for them.

He's staying loyal to the brand he grew up with....none wrong with that. And he's a big time name being MJ's son so how can you knock him? I'msure schools would love him on their teams so I guess no one could do sh*t about it. If it was anyone else, the team would easily be able to force the 1 playerto cooperate

question for all: If it was something pertaining to the legacy of a loved one in your family, would you have done it? knowing that they SHOULDNT have allowedhim to wear those, if someone told you not to wear something that represents you in a sense and your family member that built the brand, what would you do?Just my two cents; I feel that this was something that came up upon him signing to UCF and why would you even put others as well as yourself in such apredicament? yeah his brother wore nikes, but that is totally different. was this really Marcus' best choice?

Originally Posted by CarlofromdaPI

I'm waiting for Dark Chocolate to post his thoughts...

roll.gif

Dude is gonna grace us with a big %%! paragraph about how Adidas outperforms Niike.

Originally Posted by DIDDYDADAGGER

question for all: If it was something pertaining to the legacy of a loved one in your family, would you have done it? knowing that they SHOULDNT have allowed him to wear those, if someone told you not to wear something that represents you in a sense and your family member that built the brand, what would you do? Just my two cents; I feel that this was something that came up upon him signing to UCF and why would you even put others as well as yourself in such a predicament? yeah his brother wore nikes, but that is totally different. was this really Marcus' best choice?
You're missing a key aspect of this situation. UCF told him it would not be a problem and that they had run it by Adidas. Its up to UCF/Adidasto hold up their part of the deal.

looks to me like he has adidas ankle braces on.... i give him props for stayin true i also give him props for making sure he did have something adidas on hisfeet.

This whole story released in the Chicago Tribune here in Chicago and apparently UCF, while recruiting MJ's son said that they would allow for him to wearJordan Brand shoes if he came to that school. You can't really blame the man, if that really was the case.

I have also seen a blurb in the news claiming that Adidas never told UCF they were officially dropping the contract. When the UCF a.d. was asked about it thismorning, his repsonse was "it's news to me. I thought we were still negotiating things." If that's true, on top of Marcus' claim thatUCF supposedly cleared it with Adidas, what a double-classy move on their part. That's pretty shady to just announce in the press that you'veterminated a contract before actually discussing it with the contracted group.

Adidas is going to end up looking worse than Marcus when this whole thing plays out, and I would think that J.B/Nike will be outfitting UCF with no questionsasked after this.

Peace,
J

It's not like he wore black/red I's.

Those are the most inconspicuous Jordans that he could have worn. Adidas is throwing a fit over nothing.

You think a regular person watching the game is going to notice that he's wearing Jordans?

Back
Top Bottom