Mark Smith - New Global Creative Director of JB

Posted at NiceKicks.com.
Last night, Chi McBride was a surprise guest on the sneaker radio show OSD (Obsessive Sneaker Disorder) where he dropped some news that was an even bigger surprise.
Mark Smith, seasoned designer, 1/3rd of H-T-M, and the man behind the "laser beam" at Nike will be joining forces with Jordan Brand as the new Global Creative Director of JB. Many Jordan heads have questioned the direction that the brand has been heading in the past few years, but look for things to change. Times are getting interesting in Beaverton and it will be nice to see what direction Mark Smith leads Jordan Brand in.

I know that there are a lot of people who have been critical of Gentry recently. Soon you will have a new name to curse when things don't goyour way. I am excited to see where Mark Smith takes the brand.

mark-smith-laser-jordan-iii-3.gif

Edit: Got my Mark's mixed up...Mark Parker, current CEO, is the M in HTM

I like lasered Jordans. Hopefully Mark will do more for JB than fire a laser beam at them. Could be good, could be bad. Time will tell.

This could, could be good. I like the fresh face though, in any case. It's all about what transpires when he makes the decisions.

Oh yeah..... something else that COULD have been leaked long ago, but I may have gotten the blame for that too... lol

NTers are EVERYWHERE Listening.. lol

Yeah.. we will see what happens when G makes his move to International, with Mark Smith moving into this role. This means someone comes in to quasi takeG's spot until Josiah gets the position OR..... will they move Big J right in???

Ahhhh... The possibilities.....

Laser Anyone? lol This is a Gooooooooooooood Move I'd say. Mark is that guy. Believe that.

Originally Posted by mhsrunner09

This could, could be good. I like the fresh face though, in any case. It's all about what transpires when he makes the decisions.

good point

Originally Posted by RockDeep

Oh yeah..... something else that COULD have been leaked long ago, but I may have gotten the blame for that too... lol

NTers are EVERYWHERE Listening.. lol

Yeah.. we will see what happens when G makes his move to International, with Mark Smith moving into this role. This means someone comes in to quasi take G's spot until Josiah gets the position OR..... will they move Big J right in???

Ahhhh... The possibilities.....

Laser Anyone? lol This is a Gooooooooooooood Move I'd say. Mark is that guy. Believe that.

I for one am very excited at this news. The best thread on NT and news out of Beaverton I've seen in quite some time.

Man thats cool. I like his designs and hopefully as an artist, (as opposed to business man) he will take JB's foot wear back to where it should be.

Anything's better than the direction they've been headed in (straight down), but consider me skeptical for the moment. I've never been a big fan oflaser etching in lieu of genuine innovation and a commitment to quality and performance.

If anything, this brand needs to start putting SUBSTANCE ahead of flash.

The most interesting thread in JB forum in months. I would be skeptical as well. Laser not my cup of tee and do you think replacing Gentry with someone elsewill change a lot? You cannot forget the guy was 1/3 of hTm project, that was grass root for the special things we see at Nike almost every week icl. packs,lt. editions etc. Of course hTm was much more selective and they put out the good releases.

IMO you cannot build future of the brand, that is JB based on the past. As much as I love old designs it's enough already. Make them more special and lesscommon, love will come back. XX3 is good direction I love the design (not the comfort though, hehehe), the new team models are also looking promising (exceptfrom signatures - they actually suck IMO).

I wish all the folks at JB (M. Smith or H. Gentry included) only the best decisions.

Paix
c.

Originally Posted by WhutItDew1

does this mean gentry will stop designing jordans?

I don't believe he ever did.
This sounds like it could be good news. Like Meth said, he certainly cant be any worse.

There WILL be something targeted towards lasering. It's bound to happen. I don'tthink they're gonna over-do it either. I'm looking foward to this.
smile.gif

I don't mean to be overly technical, but doesn't Gentry have a different title -- like Jordan Brand Director of Footwear. I only ask this to make surewhether I'm understanding this correctly...Gentry is out? Moving up the food chain? Parallel?

Why are all of you looking forward for lasered shoes??

.....I thought it was one of the most hated concept of a Jordan shoe

I don't get why everyone thinks that just because Mark Smith is the new Creative Director that all of a sudden Jordan 1-XX3 is going to be lasered. MarkSmith has brought a lot of creativity to Nike Sport Culture products and his abilities and insight stretch far beyond the "laser beam."

Chi mentioned how he thinks that the brand needs a "flagship" line of products that would be comparable to the S-Class to Mercedes. Given Chi'sclose relationship to Mark, I wouldn't be surprised if the two haven't had a previous discussion.

Either way, I think that JB is in desperate need of this position to chart the brand's map of movements for the next few years. Only time will tell, but Iam very much open to new ideas.

Originally Posted by Method Man

Anything's better than the direction they've been headed in (straight down), but consider me skeptical for the moment. I've never been a big fan of laser etching in lieu of genuine innovation and a commitment to quality and performance.

If anything, this brand needs to start putting SUBSTANCE ahead of flash.

^^
what he said

CarmineJordan: ....I thought it was one of the most hated concept of a Jordan shoe

It's just one of many, I believe the current trend of hatred is the obvious Fusion and Spizikes. As with all things related to Jordan these days, thiscould potentially be a bright move but I won't get my hopes up in regards to a let down

Originally Posted by halfyhalf

I don't get why everyone thinks that just because Mark Smith is the new Creative Director that all of a sudden Jordan 1-XX3 is going to be lasered. Mark Smith has brought a lot of creativity to Nike Sport Culture products and his abilities and insight stretch far beyond the "laser beam."

Chi mentioned how he thinks that the brand needs a "flagship" line of products that would be comparable to the S-Class to Mercedes. Given Chi's close relationship to Mark, I wouldn't be surprised if the two haven't had a previous discussion.

Either way, I think that JB is in desperate need of this position to chart the brand's map of movements for the next few years. Only time will tell, but I am very much open to new ideas.

Jordan Brand (which IMHO is a flagship Nike line) needs a flagship line? Using the Mercedes analogy, AMG is their flagship line. AMG needs to have a linewithin the brand that's even more prominent? I don't get it. Also, as someone else noted, where does this put Gentry in the food chain?

Back
Top Bottom