Mark Smith - New Global Creative Director of JB

This is interesting. We need a new face. If its for the better, only time will tell. But we need a new direction period.

34osy1u.jpg

Is that Mark Smith I see behind the wheel of the Jordan Brand brain trust?
laugh.gif
j/p

good move MIKE/Nike
tired.gif

This is great news.
With respect to Gentrey's business savy, Why would JB not have already had a seasoned designer like Mark Smith in this position?
Hopefully Mark Smith is the guy to find the healthy balance between the legacy of the brand and the trends of todays consumers...instead ofthe destructive path that JB is headed down.

By the looks of Mark's work from "way back in the day", he seems to understand the sigificance of the Nike Air logo

I'm not sure Mark Smiths new position will eliminate the wack/trendy colorways that are sitting on shelves as we speak...I believe he was always part ofthe equation when deciding what colorways were released...so in fact it could make it worse when it comes to those horrible color choices...

and to hear that Gentry is just being moved to international instead of banished from the brand is a bit disappointing, especially since it probably meansJosiah will take over that position...

So all in all we still have the same 3 people making all the decisions for the Brand so I doubt things will change that much...
ohwell.gif

In fact it may mean we see an even greater explosion of trendy colors of classic shoes
frown.gif

I think if they really wanted to help the Brand grow, without using trend following hype and gimmicks, they would just put Tinker in charge of designing somenew and original Team shoes, Player signature lines, and maybe and even more exclusive line within JB ...similar to what they did with the two 3 series backwhen the brand first went on its own...

but IMO they have to quit ruing the image of the Original designs that got them to this point by releasing all the trendy colors, hybrids andfusions...can't they just come up with some original designs that people actually like...Tinker did it the first time around why not now????

hmmm.... interesting. so this guy will give gentry the boot and take his place. nice, we'll see were this takes us. just no lasered shoes, hate that stuff

Originally Posted by RockDeep

Oh yeah..... something else that COULD have been leaked long ago, but I may have gotten the blame for that too... lol

NTers are EVERYWHERE Listening.. lol

Yeah.. we will see what happens when G makes his move to International, with Mark Smith moving into this role. This means someone comes in to quasi take G's spot until Josiah gets the position OR..... will they move Big J right in???

Ahhhh... The possibilities.....

Laser Anyone? lol This is a Gooooooooooooood Move I'd say. Mark is that guy. Believe that.
Right? Isn't this old news?
wink.gif

There is A LOT more to this entire situation. A LOT.

I'll have to leave it at that. I dont want to say anything that I shouldnt.

Im actually surprised that this was put out there so "early".

MaZe

Nothing to get excited about. Until I actually see the true shape return to all older model retros, real leather, and decent non clown like colorways, and acompany who shows respect and care its fanbase and loyal customers, than Ill be excited. Until then, all I can have is hope.

Originally Posted by allthingsjordan

I'm not sure Mark Smiths new position will eliminate the wack/trendy colorways that are sitting on shelves as we speak...I believe he was always part of the equation when deciding what colorways were released...so in fact it could make it worse when it comes to those horrible color choices...

and to hear that Gentry is just being moved to international instead of banished from the brand is a bit disappointing, especially since it probably means Josiah will take over that position...

So all in all we still have the same 3 people making all the decisions for the Brand so I doubt things will change that much...
ohwell.gif

In fact it may mean we see an even greater explosion of trendy colors of classic shoes
frown.gif

I think if they really wanted to help the Brand grow, without using trend following hype and gimmicks, they would just put Tinker in charge of designing some new and original Team shoes, Player signature lines, and maybe and even more exclusive line within JB ...similar to what they did with the two 3 series back when the brand first went on its own...

but IMO they have to quit ruing the image of the Original designs that got them to this point by releasing all the trendy colors, hybrids and fusions...can't they just come up with some original designs that people actually like...Tinker did it the first time around why not now????
Isn't the intent of the Team Jordans to provide new designs?

Isn't the intent of the Team Jordans to provide new designs?
It was when the brand first started back in '98...and we did have a few releases in the following years that were, for the most part,original designs...not necassarily "good" original design but original none the less (i.e. jumpan pro even though it resembled the 12 a lil, Teamelite's & Vindicate's, etc...) It was around 2003 when we saw the NU retro 2 that it seems like they decided to stop being creative and justdecided to "borrow" the cues from famous OG designs, (i.e. 9.5's, 12.5's, AF1 fusions, etc...)

Fortunately, they have introduced the JAQ, ESTERNO, DENTRO & TGIM which for the most part are original designs, again the question of whether they are"good" design or not is still questionable...

but still, it was also supposed to be about "performance brand excellence inspired by the greatest athlete ever"....as stated many times over thepast few years, and seen by the lacking quality of the past few years releases, that is def. not a concern of the company anymore...and I'm afraid if theydon't get back to that, they will continue to run the elite image of the brand into the ground, no matter what position shifts they make on the corporatelevel...

Originally Posted by halfyhalf

I know that there are a lot of people who have been critical of Gentry recently. Soon you will have a new name to curse when things don't go your way.

That right there summed it all up!!!! Everyone is saying this and that but I guarantee you that you will all still be cursing at the quality of retros andeverything else you already complain about, you will just be cursing at a different name...

Mark my words... No pun intended!!!

Yall are flaggin hard, like u think this is gonna be good when no mater what he does yall are still gonna hate, hes just a fresh punching bag lol.

smh...
tired.gif

mark smith left... tinker on the right
2a9xgck.jpg

Gotta say this is great news…. Anything that removes G' from a position that allows for the release ofhorrible sneakers is great. I understand G's job was to bring in as much revenue as possible. But he did it during a sneaker boom, and as result cheated many loyal followers in an attempt to make as much cash aspossible. Notwithstanding, Mark will now be expected to continue to bring in l'argent, i.e. money. I'm hoping he does this with results the please the loyal customer, the future customer, and the share holders. For me this could be done by releasing quality retros in appropriate numbers, focusing on shoe designs that are innovative andingenious in design, and by limiting themselves towards "whoring" their brand out in order to be able to have a strong respected brand name thatshare holders will want to invest in.

Originally Posted by MaZeDOwNeR

Originally Posted by RockDeep

Oh yeah..... something else that COULD have been leaked long ago, but I may have gotten the blame for that too... lol

NTers are EVERYWHERE Listening.. lol

Yeah.. we will see what happens when G makes his move to International, with Mark Smith moving into this role. This means someone comes in to quasi take G's spot until Josiah gets the position OR..... will they move Big J right in???

Ahhhh... The possibilities.....

Laser Anyone? lol This is a Gooooooooooooood Move I'd say. Mark is that guy. Believe that.
Right? Isn't this old news?
wink.gif

There is A LOT more to this entire situation. A LOT.

I'll have to leave it at that. I dont want to say anything that I shouldnt.

Im actually surprised that this was put out there so "early".

MaZe

You and me both Maze.

The New Fiscal starts Monday.... and When I said "Laser Anyone" it wasn't to infer that Mark is ALL about Lasering.

If ANYONE knows anything about M.S. you know his creativity and stuff done down in the Kitchen is UNREAL.... Few SEE it and even FEWER hear about it. LikeMaze said, there is ALOT more that goes into this and for those who think since some of the same folks who remain will mean the same ole story.... eh eh...

Im sure this dude is getting the Keys to the whole shabang, or why even take the position? He would be have more levity staying in the Kitchen if he was goingto have to deal with the same Crap....

Right?

How the Stuff gets marketed is a WHOLE Other Story.... But Concepts Coming out, and probably Designers getting more freedom to actually Design and not includePast DNA will happen.

How the Stuff gets marketed is a WHOLE Other Story.... But Concepts Coming out, and probably Designers getting more freedom to actually Design and not include Past DNA will happen.
That is music to my ears...
happy.gif

I hope you are right....

I am already seeing it a bit because I actually like the TGIM & Dentros the more I see them...I'm curious why they are called Dentro's...

sounds like they named them that as a tribute to MJ getting Dentures?
roll.gif

Dentro -- Italian for 'inside' = Indoor shoe.

Esterno -- Italian for 'outer' = Outdoor shoe.

Mark will be a perfect fit for where the brand needs to be.

Extremely interesting story.
Really, with all this recent talk (I mean past few years recent) about how JB is going downhill, how ___ is messing something up, or how innovation isfading...

Then they pull this one on us, and we don't know what to expect.
I'm excited, can't wait to see what happens.

And nobody judge Mark Smith just because he's Laserman. I doubt he'll do what some people that I have talked to complain about which is lasereverything Dub Zero-style.

Back
Top Bottom