Marketing jobs in Richmond, VA *mini vent*

Just graduated from VCU in may with a degree in marketing, I applied for a job for Hershey chocolate in New York, had two interviews with them and got rejected :smh:. I took this rejection in particular kinda hard, broke down last night because the pressure to be somebody in life starting to get to me. The pressure is now joke, I go to bed to it, and I wake up to it, its a constant dark cloud over my head. I'm currently at a retail job that I have zero passion and inspiration for, I hate faking my smile. I can remind myself million times that I'am blessed to have a job, but it doesn't make the dark cloud go away. Several of my friends look up to me, because to them I'am the one that's suppose to make it. I hate lying to my friends about my job, but my pride wont allow me tell them the truth. I want to make sure my mom doesn't have to work another day in her life, and I'm going to stay true to that. Anybody in the Richmond, VA area involved with marketing?

frown.gif
 good luck 

as a marketing major about to graduate, i can appreciate this. i wish i had words of wisdom to give, but i'm in the same fight as you at the moment.

Doing marketing for Hershey sounds like a really fun job. Sorry that didn't pan out for you.

Look at it as more of, "it wasn't meant to be" than a "rejection." I know it sucks to not get what you want but with patience something better usually pops up any way. You seem to be pretty ambitious so just keep that drive and continue to look for opportunities while holding down the job you have now.

Wish I could help you out more but I don't know anything about marketing jobs.

marketing was my favorite class I took at vcu. that being said, pretty much all my friends are having trouble finding a job they like...or a job at all for that matter. just keep looking nonstop. I think I remember them having a program where they work with different companies in the area to promote job openings to vcu graduates. ask your advisor about that.

Dawg, you don't have a damn thing to be angry about, it's the beginning of the road. **** definitely isn't easy, but you damn sure won't be in a rut forever. A couple rejections won't hold you back. Try 15, 20, 50! That's how many I had coming out of school in May 2012. I can't lie I was down, but I got out and surrounded myself with people who could assist me get in a position where I wanted to be.

We all have to start somewhere, it may not be where we like, the salary we want, the desired people around us, but unconformable situations build your character, fortitude, and skill.

Stay up!

Keep applying bro. Something will pan out. On a related note I was offered a job last week by the head of a company. I told him I wanted to sleep on it and he said I could take until Monday to think it over. I called yesterday to accept the position and he said he had hired someone else. Point of the story is in this job market it's not going to be easy. However, sometimes when things don't work out they teach us life lessons that will benefit us tremendously in the long haul.

Damn I know the feeling.

Had 2 GREAT interviews with wells fargo earlier this year. Lady showed me my office and everything, but for some reason, it didn't pan out and I never got a call back.

about a month after my dad hooked me up with a better job at a private bank right at the beach. Blessed and happy everyday.

sometimes stuff happens and you feel down, but just think about it in a different light, because everything happens for a reason.

p.s. funny part is wells fargo called me about a month ago and asked if I wanted the job i had applied for, I smiled and finally got the closure I needed on that.

Just graduated from VCU in may with a degree in marketing, I applied for a job for Hershey chocolate in New York, had two interviews with them and got rejected :smh:. I took this rejection in particular kinda hard, broke down last night because the pressure to be somebody in life starting to get to me. The pressure is now joke, I go to bed to it, and I wake up to it, its a constant dark cloud over my head. I'm currently at a retail job that I have zero passion and inspiration for, I hate faking my smile. I can remind myself million times that I'am blessed to have a job, but it doesn't make the dark cloud go away. Several of my friends look up to me, because to them I'am the one that's suppose to make it. I hate lying to my friends about my job, but my pride wont allow me tell them the truth. I want to make sure my mom doesn't have to work another day in her life, and I'm going to stay true to that. Anybody in the Richmond, VA area involved with marketing?

I'm a fellow VCU Alum and I actually just received a text this morning from a fellow friend who is graduating from VCU with a degree in Strategic Advertising/Business.

Learn to be appreciative for where you are at at this specific moment. Time changes things quicker than you think.

Persistence, dedication/determination....perseverance.

I graduated from VCU in 2008 and I had an end goal to work for the Washington Wizards. I had the end goal and just made a plan to do everything/contact anyone possible to chip away at getting there. I'm just always confident no one can outwork me and that I'll never quit. As long as I'm breathing and not incarcerated I can progress and achieve anything I want to. I was working within three months of graduating.

Stay true to you, don't consume yourself with what others think. That is a primary deterrent to happiness....caring about the thoughts/feelings/perception that others have of you.

Rejection and failure will always be there, but it's about how you bounce back and respond.

I could rattle off a list of great careers, agencies, opportunities, contracts that all extended offers my way during the last few years only to rescind them or jam them up in the never ending security clearance process because of my background. I just knew that eventually someone would take a chance and it would pay off immensely for them. Like a Randy Moss story or something.

It's good not to be satisfied or complacent, but don't make yourself miserable and fail to enjoy the journey of your path.

There are a lot of Marketing Agencies in Richmond, VA. You should get in contact with the Student Center and Ms. Darlene Ward or Professor Urban. That was a cool dude.

Completed an internship at home depot, and now I'am a cashier there. I hate the fact that when someone I know comes there to shop, I turn and look the other way, and hope they don't see me. |I

Edit: Thanks for the support Jesus^^^^^^

Last edited:
Stay positive. My cousin was in the same position that you are, only his field was Health Care Management.

Now he is working with Cook County is making like 55K a year and he has a side job.

It's all really a numbers game man. Gotta fill out hella apps and do follow up calls.

Make sure that resume is tip top, and network at your job. Really interact and be geniune with customers because you never know who is who.

When I was working at Dillard's I was able to snag an internship working in women's shoes just of sharing my goals, aspirations and current struggles.

The home depot I work at is in a wealthy area, a lot of business people shop there, I just work at my register and network all day, I got a pile of business cards from customers coming through my line.

Stay positive. My cousin was in the same position that you are, only his field was Health Care Management.

Now he is working with Cook County is making like 55K a year and he has a side job.

It's all really a numbers game man. Gotta fill out hella apps and do follow up calls.

Make sure that resume is tip top, and network at your job. Really interact and be geniune with customers because you never know who is who.

When I was working at Dillard's I was able to snag an internship working in women's shoes just of sharing my goals, aspirations and current struggles.

This is true. You never know who are you dealing with and interacting with.

You might be selling Home Improvement supplies/tools to a senior official or director of a Marketing Firm and that is why it is beneficial to be genuine and passionate about whatever you do. Whatever work you do, do it to the best of your ability. You'll be surprised who you meet and who notices. Networking doesn't have to be saved for job fairs and events. Put yourself out there and in positions to succeed. Don't be afraid of rejection and to ask people who are already there for insight/advice/assistance.

The creative director for Carmax corporate came through my line awhile back , he brought me into office, showed me around, but he told me they didn't have anything available |I, I appreciate him taking the time to do that. I stay in touch with all my connects I have met at home depot. I turn 26 in January, and the pressure to be somebody is starting to eat away at me.

The creative director for Carmax corporate came through my line awhile back , he brought me into office, showed me around, but he told me they didn't have anything available |I, I appreciate him taking the time to do that. I stay in touch with all my connects I have met at home depot. I turn 26 in January, and the pressure to be somebody is starting to eat away at me.

Life is not a competition or a race against others/society. You shouldn't feel pressure or put that on yourself unless you work well under those constraints (sounds like you don't).

Use that hunger/energy in a positive manner. Join groups/affiliations pertaining to your interests or start one yourself. The sky is truly the limit. It will pay off in due time.

Life is not a competition or a race against others/society. You shouldn't feel pressure or put that on yourself unless you work well under those constraints (sounds like you don't).

Use that hunger/energy in a positive manner. Join groups/affiliations pertaining to your interests or start one yourself. The sky is truly the limit. It will pay off in due time.

Thanks jesus, the crazy part is that I work best under pressure, my previous job at Walmart, everyone looked up to me as leader in the dept because I always held it down in times of chaos.
I use to love it when I came into work and we were crazy busy. Everyone at Walmart told me I had a special work ethic, and that they never seen anybody work as hard as me. I just have stop being so hard on myself

Have you thought about going back to school for something other than marketing?

I always knew that marketing like business admin/mgmt was one of those degrees that required a minor or major.

Last edited:
Have you thought about going back to school for something other than marketing?

I always knew that marketing like business admin/mgmt was one of those degrees that required a minor or major.
True looking at another major is a good idea but everyone needs their product to be market........everyone! Just have to start thinking out the box for different jobs(career choices).

Seems like everyone wants a career with the Wizards and I just want to work with them until im accepted into grad school. Maybe im just doing it wrong.

Back
Top Bottom