Mass Shooting Thread: Waiting on the next one.

What's even the argument here at this point?

I don’t think there’s any real argument. Everyone agrees that mass shootings are bad.

I (imagine) everyone also believes that mental health, poverty, and lack of education play a role.

Some just seem to think that more restrictive gun laws will work better at solving the problem.

It doesn't solve the problem but at least keeps guns out of the hands of some people who should not have them.

I don’t think there’s any real argument. Everyone agrees that mass shootings are bad.

I (imagine) everyone also believes that mental health, poverty, and lack of education play a role.

Some just seem to think that more restrictive gun laws will work better at solving the problem.
considering the U.S. haven't had a strict policy on gun control for exactly how many decades of tolerating gun ownership and in fact, still suffer from mass shootings on a consistent basis, it is a sound solution considering other countries has enforced those policies to prevent such incidents. point is, some people are more worried or paranoid about losing their gun acquisitions than actually protecting the public in general from criminality. the fact is, the U.S. "HASN'T" tried that approach due to politics and not because politicians care about citizen safety.

My issue with stating those other very important and critical factors is that those who are against gun control are also not pushing more mental healthcare, improving education or reducing poverty.

Mental healthcare is not cheap, Americas schools are extremely underfunded, and 2/3 of this country is living paycheck to paycheck.

The US has very strict murder laws (including life in prison and death as penalties).

I just think it’s unrealistic to think restrictive gun laws will have more of an impact than the restrictive murder laws currently in place.

We're not trying to punish those who commit these heinous crimes more. No amount of years in prison will ever bring back lives loss.

The primary goal is prevention.

My issue with stating those other very important and critical factors is that those who are against gun control are also not pushing more mental healthcare, improving education or reducing poverty.

Mental healthcare is not cheap, Americas schools are extremely underfunded, and 2/3 of this country is living paycheck to paycheck.

Hypocrites are problematic. But their hypocrisy doesn’t negate the importance of those other factors.

“Gun control” like “mental health” and “thoughts and prayers” are all easy buzz words that solve very little on their own.

We're not trying to punish those who commit these heinous crimes more. No amount of years in prison will ever bring back lives loss.

The primary goal is prevention.

The punishments serve as deterrence.

It’s amazing to me that people think gun laws will prevent bad actors from obtaining guns. Drug laws don’t prevent people from obtaining drugs. And murder laws don’t prevent people from committing murder.

That’s why I think pushing those larger issues is more important.

Again, you’d have to let me know the countries you deem undeveloped, not industrialized, as having immature economies, and that you deem unsophisticated.

Or better yet, the countries you feel are developed, industrialized, have mature economies, and are sophisticated. Without that, it’s tough to do the comparisons.

You don't know the difference between underdeveloped and developed countries man?

So what were the countries YOU had in mind when you were insinuating that the US wasn't worse off than them in this discussion?

You don't know the difference between underdeveloped and developed countries man?

So what were the countries YOU had in mind when you were insinuating that the US wasn't worse off than them in this discussion?

I think it’s very subjective. I also think referring to countries as such can be very offensive and problematic.

I didn’t have any particular countries in mind. I just know that the likelihood of being killed in the US is lower than it is in several other countries.

The punishments serve as deterrence.

It’s amazing to me that people think gun laws will prevent bad actors from obtaining guns. Drug laws don’t prevent people from obtaining drugs. And murder laws don’t prevent people from committing murder.

That’s why I think pushing those larger issues is more important.

It's much easier to regulate an inanimate object that people. The reasons these "bad actors" are can obtain guns so easily is because of the wide disparities in gun laws that vary in each state.

This thread is about MASS shootings, not mass stabbings, not mass vehicular homicides but MASS SHOOTINGS.

Yes murders will still happen without guns but what is the legitimate reason for civilians owning assault rifles? I say this as a gun owner with my CC permit.

It's much easier to regulate an inanimate object that people. The reasons these "bad actors" are can obtain guns so easily is because of the wide disparities in gun laws that vary in each state.

How do you reconcile this logic with the wide availability of drugs that are illegal in every US state?

Drugs, like guns, are inanimate objects.

I didn’t have any particular countries in mind. I just know that the likelihood of being killed in the US is lower than it is in several other countries.

Which is meaningless if no context is provided given the vast difference between countries all over the world.

I'm not going to feel all warm and fuzzy inside because my chances of being murdered are less likely in Boston than they are in Juarez.

Damn I heard about that on the radio on my way out of DC. Scary.

Damn dawg, just watched that video smhhh

In the room with all those guns is a poster of yakub on the wall. Click the link in my last post to read about yakub.

Back
Top Bottom