Matt Ryan > Jamarcus Russell ???

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Yes, but who u think he gonna be facin in the League? a bucnah UNC CBs? UVA Cbs?
he gonan be facin 11 SMiths.

btw Smith best CB in next yrs draft.
had to plug my dude!

Maybe so...

But, how high is a 5'8 cb gonna go in the draft???

Im looking for drastic improvement from my man P-Rob to challenge for that spot...
pimp.gif

Too bad he out for the 1st 3 games..

I get what you saying though. He still torched Wake for like 5 td's though....

I'd take Ryan no question, but I didn't like Russell last year anyway so what does it matter haha. I just don't think Russell has that"it" factor that makes certain QB's special. Out of 3 years in college, I only remember Russell playing great in 2-3 games where you couldlegitimately say he was the main reason they won. I don't know if Ryan has it either, but he displays more of the leadership/intangibles that the winnershave. Hard to explain, so I'm expecting everyone to start roasting what I'm saying but oh well. I guess we'll just have to wait till 3 years fromnow to decide who was right.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Yea i know. but everyone if overlooking his poor performances and negatives.

When I saw him play vs the FSU Defense I started to re-think how good he was.

and I remember Alphonzo Smith 'pick 6in; his +%! in game 1 vs Wake

to me that indicates, vs potential NFL caliber Athletes, his production drops significantly.
We shall see.

He throws a good ball and aside from his shotty decisions making (Russell suffers from this as bad as anyone) I got no issues with him being the first QBtaken. Anyone who could take that BC team to where he took them deserves a shot at the top ten IMO.

This is ridiculous. Jamarcus was a winner in the SEC. Good division. Ryan threw 19 INTS in the ACC. A mediocre division at best. As of right now they areequal pretty much cuz neither has really played, but c'mon coming out of college there are very few things Ryan does/did better than Russell. Nobody evengave a reason Ryan is better. One person says because Ryan has a brain, what has shown Jamarcus doesn't?

Most people have Falcons NOT picking Ryan. If Ryan was that good, do you think they'd be comfortable going into the season with DJ shockley and Redman??

I think I brought it up once saying that NFL Live dudes (like Schdfketh, etc.) were saying they would take Ryan over Russell because of his"intangibles", in some NFL Mock Draft post or something. and i disagree with that...

that said i haven't watched Ryan that much to definitively say Russell>ryan but we'll see in a few years.

Originally Posted by Smokey1212

This is ridiculous. Jamarcus was a winner in the SEC. Good division. Ryan threw 19 INTS in the ACC. A mediocre division at best. As of right now they are equal pretty much cuz neither has really played, but c'mon coming out of college there are very few things Ryan does/did better than Russell. Nobody even gave a reason Ryan is better. One person says because Ryan has a brain, what has shown Jamarcus doesn't?

Most people have Falcons NOT picking Ryan. If Ryan was that good, do you think they'd be comfortable going into the season with DJ shockley and Redman??

Did you watch Russell at LSU? They won in spite of him and the games they lost were because he turned it over 5 times a game. His first big win finallycame his last year vs Tennessee because they ruled him down when he really fumbled. And also Notre Dame made him look like John Elway in the Sugar Bowl.

Ryan is more accurate? how? some of you are just biased and spew bs out your mouths.

Russell's college career: 62% completion rate in 3 years

Ryan's: 60% in 4 years

Russell's td's: 52 in 3 years

Ryan's: 56 in 4 years

Russell's int's: 21 in 3 years

Ryan's: 37 in 4 years

Jamarcus Russell's worst season he threw 9 int's to Ryan's 19? Haha!!!!!!! his college career completion % is higher than Ryan's, but Ryan ismore accurate? sheeesh, some of you NT'ers are clueless...... if Russell stayed one more year he woulda blew Ryan's stats out the water and would bethe clear cut #1 QB this year..... and to whoever said he's 300 lbs, get a life

Originally Posted by xCautioNx

Ryan is more accurate? how? some of you are just biased and spew bs out your mouths.

Jamarcus Russell's worst season he threw 9 int's to Ryan's 19? Haha!!!!!!! his college career completion % is higher than Ryan's, but Ryan is more accurate? sheeesh, some of you NT'ers are clueless...... if Russell stayed one more year he woulda blew Ryan's stats out the water and would be the clear cut #1 QB this year..... and to whoever said he's 300 lbs, get a life
Nice stats bro.
But one thing, Russel played on LSU and Matt Ryan played on a bad ACC team.

A strong arm, yes. How about the 300 pounds hes been carrying around?
Yeah and EVERYONE from the Raiders camp has said that was ANOTHER lie by the media and Russell is at his 270 playing weight and has been at everywork out.

And once I saw this debate was on NFL Live I stopped reading. ESPN HATES the Raiders and will never side with them.

Russell > Ryan.

AND Russell is going to be going into a SYSTEM now as well. He's not going to have to rely on his arm strength as much in Kiffin's offense. I seeRussell and Zach Miller doing BIG things together.

Originally Posted by 0aktown

What does ryan have over Russell? a god damn Brain
enh....

wonderlic scores for QBs :

Alex Smith : 40
Eli Manning : 39
Tom Brady : 33
MATT RYAN : 32
John Elway : 29
Peyton Manning : 28
Caron Palmer : 26
Ben Roethlesberger : 25
JAMARCUS RUSSELL : 24
Brett Favre : 22
Trent Dilfer : 22
Vince Young : 16
Steve McNair : 15
Terry Bradshaw : 15
Donovan McNabb : 14
David Garrad : 14

so going by this list jamarcus is about as smart as ben roethlisberger (whom at the same time is smarter than brett farve, steve mcnair, and terr bradshaw) and matt ryan is about as smart tom brady... but then again alex smith is smarter than every one of them...

the only brain you need in football is a football brain... i think jrock at least has that
eyes.gif

grin.gif

If only Alex Smith being at the top of the list transferred over to his football skills.

Originally Posted by SoHi 23

Jamarcus Russell's worst season he threw 9 int's to Ryan's 19? Haha!!!!!!! his college career completion % is higher than Ryan's, but Ryan is more accurate? sheeesh, some of you NT'ers are clueless...... if Russell stayed one more year he woulda blew Ryan's stats out the water and would be the clear cut #1 QB this year..... and to whoever said he's 300 lbs, get a life
Nice stats bro.
But one thing, Russel played on LSU and Matt Ryan played on a bad ACC team.

Understatement, horrible ACC team. They didn't even have their best player last year (Toal).

And yeah he played against tougher competition, but LSU was straight STACKED. Davis, Bowe, Doucet, always stacked at RB, straight filthy. I can't evenremember one NFL talent being on the offensive side of the ball for BC during Ryan's tenure. The only one I can remember is Blackmon, and dude was aconverted corner.
I wouldn't really take either of them though (even though I would slightly lean towards Ryan) but I never felt Russell was going to begreat. Another QB that shot up the draft because of his arm strength.

The only clueless NTer seems to be you. Matt Ryan threw 650 passes compared to Russells 350. So how does that make those 19 vs 9 picks look? statboy?
You dont like to read do you?

And come on Gunna you know as well as anyone picks and completion percentage dont tell the whole story. (David Carr)
laugh.gif

Its funny all of those stats you quoted not one of them directly represents accuracy. Last time I checked all completion percentage measures ishow many passes you complete relative to how many are incomplete, no where is accuracy accounted for or drops or bad recievers or bad decisions. When they comeout with an accuracy stat holla at me
laugh.gif

I dont even know why I am trying to explain this to you...you think DeAngelo Hall is a top corner
roll.gif

Originally Posted by theone2401

The only clueless NTer seems to be you. Matt Ryan threw 650 passes compared to Russells 350. So how does that make those 19 vs 9 picks look? stat boy?

And come on Gunna you know as well as anyone picks and completion percentage dont tell the whole story. (David Carr)
laugh.gif
Its funny all of those stats you quoted not one of them directly represents accuracy. Last time I checked all completion percentage measures is how many passes you complete relative to how many are incomplete, no where is accuracy accounted for or drops or bad recievers or bad decisions. When they come out with an accuracy stat holla at me
laugh.gif

I dont even know why I am trying to explain this to you...you think DeAngelo Hall is a top corner
roll.gif

still makes them look like Russell>>>>>Ryan. If Russell threw about 300 more passes at 9 int's, that would give him around 18 whichis still less than 19???? you are clueless..... people making claims he's more accurate, where is the proof? it sure ain't in what we have to go offof..... STATS doggie...

The only clueless NTer seems to be you. Matt Ryan threw 650 passes compared to Russells 350. So how does that make those 19 vs 9 picks look? stat boy?

laugh.gif
Its funny all of those stats you quoted not one of them directly represents accuracy. Last time I checked all completion percentage measures is how many passes you complete relative to how many are incomplete, no where is accuracy accounted for or drops or bad recievers or bad decisions. When they come out with an accuracy stat holla at me
laugh.gif

roll.gif
still makes them look like Russell>>>>>Ryan. If Russell threw about 300 more passes at 9 int's, that would give him around 18 which is still less than 19???? you are clueless..... people making claims he's more accurate, where is the proof? it sure ain't in what we have to go off of..... STATS doggie...
There is no accuracy stat DOGGIE so what are you talking about. You are inferring accuracy can be predicted by stats that have nothing to do withaccuracy. There maybe a correlation between accuracy and these stats but it is hardly significant enough for you to make such claims.

The proof of him being accurate is people who actually watch him throw my self included who say he is accurate. And since scouts and other people can seeaccuracy with their eyes and do not make silly inferences off of statistically insignificant stats that is all the "proof" i need.

To take it one step further it was my opinion that he is more accurate you dont have to agree. But trying to support your claim with something that doesntactually support your argument just sounds foolish.

Im just going to chalk this up to my assumption that you are a Raiders fan coming to the rescue.
laugh.gif

Seriously if that is all you are going to bring to the table to show that Matt Ryan is less accurate then JaMarcus Russell then I got nothing more to say toyou because we obviously have different levels of understanding about football.

I will backtrack a little bit though an clear up any misunderstandings. JaMarcus Russell throws a much better, accuracy and everything, deep ball then MattRyan.

Matt Ryan has pinpoint accuracy, I don't care how you spin it. On one of his games on ESPN the announcer said that the coach specifically told Ryan topretty much force throws and make plays, because of BC's lack of playmakers.

Either way, I don't care what anyone will say, Ryan is gonna be just fine and is better than Russell. Only time will tell though. So stay tuned.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

roll.gif
still makes them look like Russell>>>>>Ryan. If Russell threw about 300 more passes at 9 int's, that would give him around 18 which is still less than 19???? you are clueless..... people making claims he's more accurate, where is the proof? it sure ain't in what we have to go off of..... STATS doggie...
There is no accuracy stat DOGGIE so what are you talking about. You are inferring accuracy can be predicted by stats that have nothing to do with accuracy. There maybe a correlation between accuracy and these stats but it is hardly significant enough for you to make such claims.

The proof of him being accurate is people who actually watch him throw my self included who say he is accurate. And since scouts and other people can see accuracy with their eyes and do not make silly inferences off of statistically insignificant stats that is all the "proof" i need.

To take it one step further it was my opinion that he is more accurate you dont have to agree. But trying to support your claim with something that doesnt actually support your argument just sounds foolish.

Im just going to chalk this up to my assumption that you are a Raiders fan coming to the rescue.
laugh.gif

Seriously if that is all you are going to bring to the table to show that Matt Ryan is less accurate then JaMarcus Russell then I got nothing more to say to you because we obviously have different levels of understanding about football.

I will backtrack a little bit though an clear up any misunderstandings. JaMarcus Russell throws a much better, accuracy and everything, deep ball then Matt Ryan.
of course I'm a Raiders fan and gona stick up for our players no matter what!!!
laugh.gif
...... and I know that completion % is not the tell all ofaccuracy, but since they have no stat for accuracy I substitute the completion% b/c it's the closest thing to it. I watched Jamarcus a lot more than Ryanin college too, and I just don't see how he's more accurate than Jamarcus...

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

roll.gif
There is no accuracy stat DOGGIE so what are you talking about. You are inferring accuracy can be predicted by stats that have nothing to do with accuracy. There maybe a correlation between accuracy and these stats but it is hardly significant enough for you to make such claims.

The proof of him being accurate is people who actually watch him throw my self included who say he is accurate. And since scouts and other people can see accuracy with their eyes and do not make silly inferences off of statistically insignificant stats that is all the "proof" i need.

To take it one step further it was my opinion that he is more accurate you dont have to agree. But trying to support your claim with something that doesnt actually support your argument just sounds foolish.

laugh.gif

Seriously if that is all you are going to bring to the table to show that Matt Ryan is less accurate then JaMarcus Russell then I got nothing more to say to you because we obviously have different levels of understanding about football.

I will backtrack a little bit though an clear up any misunderstandings. JaMarcus Russell throws a much better, accuracy and everything, deep ball then Matt Ryan.
of course I'm a Raiders fan and gona stick up for our players no matter what!!!
laugh.gif
...... and I know that completion % is not the tell all of accuracy, but since they have no stat for accuracy I substitute the completion% b/c it's the closest thing to it. I watched Jamarcus a lot more than Ryan in college too, and I just don't see how he's more accurate than Jamarcus...
Thats fine. Jamarcus throws an awesome ball no knock to him. For as hard as he throws he has great touch alot of strong arm QB's have problems withthat Russell doesnt really. I just think Matt Ryan is better on the intermediate throws, which are probably the most important ones in football. Honestly evenfrom my own perspective the difference isnt really that big. There are other reasons why I would take Matt Ryan over Jamarcus I was just trying to point tosomething objective because the only other reasons are purely speculation and opinion. But for the record I have nothing against Russell and no hidden agendawith Matt Ryan. There is no DOUBT Russell is the better prospect. Just not my cup of tea.

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

Matt Ryan has pinpoint accuracy, I don't care how you spin it. On one of his games on ESPN the announcer said that the coach specifically told Ryan to pretty much force throws and make plays, because of BC's lack of playmakers.

Either way, I don't care what anyone will say, Ryan is gonna be just fine and is better than Russell. Only time will tell though. So stay tuned.

Word, he definitely tried to force stuff a lot and it sometimes cost him. He threw a lot of interceptions, but usually when he had time to throw andsomebody was open he always hit them. He throws a good deep ball and throws well on the run. That being said, he did struggle against FSU and us at times.

Anyways I hope his pro career is failure for what he did to us in that Thursday night game
laugh.gif
mad.gif

Back
Top Bottom