McLaren MP4-12C vs Ferrari 458

Originally Posted by milestailsprowe

Originally Posted by voodoo

Originally Posted by milestailsprowe

I need to get my money up. I wish I could get one. Though on the Real OP, What do you do?

I work IT contracts overseas.   A lot more work than play at the moment.
Wait Wait Wait
Who is paying Ferrari money for IT work? I might need to change my degree field 

The pay is higher overseas and up to 92K of earned foreign income is tax free.  That said, being single and debt free helps.  It's not easy work, the higher paying salaries are in remote locations and I'm talking 12 hour days - 365.  Most people want to party and drink on weekends or whatever... they're not interested in work like that.  So yeah... do it long enough and you can save up Ferrari money... but you will have earned it.

Who was your filiming passenger. Was it someone from the dealership? thats got to be somewhat scary for them to be riding shotgun attaining those speeds with someone whose driving capabilities they have no clue about.

Originally Posted by UTVOL23

Who was your filiming passenger. Was it someone from the dealership? thats got to be somewhat scary for them to be riding shotgun attaining those speeds with someone whose driving capabilities they have no clue about.

I was filming while the sales manager drove first. 

Originally Posted by 18th letter

Originally Posted by WaitWut

Originally Posted by 18th letter

So you're in the market to buy?

I honestly believe the Ferrari 458 *%+$% on any car out right now or that has been out the past 5 or 10 years.
It's just too damn beautiful.
how about no...
the aventador begs to differ
pimp.gif

Nah man, the aventador is okay. they tried a little bit too much with all the cuts and edges. the Murcielago is better looking  than the aventador.
i like that aggressive/sharp look though
pimp.gif
i like the R8 more than the italia too but dam that thing is underpowered
looking like a decepticon

Great pics and vids and you really can't go wrong with either one.

And not really worried about how another man spends his money but it got me curious, if you are overseas for work most of the time (you mentioned 12hr days- 365 days of the year) then why splurge on an expensive car you might be able to a handful of time in a year? Unless I'm missing something but I'd just feel bad for a nice car to be sitting in the garage with the battery discharging and not being driven.

Originally Posted by RFX45

And not really worried about how another man spends his money but it got me curious, if you are overseas for work most of the time (you mentioned 12hr days- 365 days of the year) then why splurge on an expensive car you might be able to a handful of time in a year? Unless I'm missing something but I'd just feel bad for a nice car to be sitting in the garage with the battery discharging and not being driven.

agreed
making money is only good if your life has a balance

12 hr days 365 a year in remote location?

ILL PASS

your money though and props to you, guess an exotic car will fill that single void also. i assume your social life is pretty crappy. 
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by nocomment6

You just went to the dealership and they let you test them??

That's a dream for me autobahn plus a 200 mph car...

I like the 458 better, especially, because of the looks.
You have a sign a contract stating that you're responsible for a insurance deductible if you crash.  However, I'm a serious buyer... looking to get the McLaren soon.

Must be nice... 
frown.gif
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Post pics/vids of what you end up buying

People usually only work in remote locations long enough earn enough $$ to buy whatever it is they want/need.  I did 3 years in a remote location to stack some bread, now I'm working in Germany to sort of "relax" from insane work schedule with my previous job.  However, the cost of living in Germany is high and the money isn't all that great.  I already have a nice car (R8 V10), but I'm looking to upgrade to the McLaren and buy a few investment properties.  I going to head back to the Middle East to stack some more paper.  People with families usually can't do this and don't last very long, but for single, anti-social guys like myself it works.
laugh.gif

Worst part is most people wouldn't temporarily give up their social life or be willing to work 12/365, but that still doesn't stop them from hating on guys that do once they return to the states pushing a Ferrari, Lambo, or something else.  Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder, but nobody wants to live no heavyass weight!  - Ronnie Coleman

You have a sign a contract stating that you're responsible for a insurance deductible if you crash.  However, I'm a serious buyer... looking to get the McLaren soon.
I must congratulate you! I'd be very curious how much maintanence is on one of these vehicles.

People usually only work in remote locations long enough earn enough $$ to buy whatever it is they want/need.  I did 3 years in a remote location to stack some bread, now I'm working in Germany to sort of "relax" from insane work schedule with my previous job.  However, the cost of living in Germany is high and the money isn't all that great.  I already have a nice car (R8 V10), but I'm looking to upgrade to the McLaren and buy a few investment properties.  I going to head back to the Middle East to stack some more paper.  People with families usually can't do this and don't last very long, but for single, anti-social guys like myself it works.
laugh.gif

Worst part is most people wouldn't temporarily give up their social life or be willing to work 12/365, but that still doesn't stop them from hating on guys that do once they return to the states pushing a Ferrari, Lambo, or something else.  Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder, but nobody wants to live no heavyass weight!  - Ronnie Coleman
sick.gif

you are doing it my dude
pimp.gif

make me wanna work hard and M.O.B.
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Wow, that's awesome. Would love to see the Papaya-orange 12C up-close. That'd be my color-of-choice, given it's history.
We have a McLaren showroom here in HK and the color we got was the volcanic-red. Our F1 display car was Senna's MP4-8.

Voodoo ~ Been to the Nordschleife?

I must congratulate you! I'd be very curious how much maintanence is on one of these vehicles.
The McLaren only needs 1 oil change a year or every 10,000 miles.  I don't think the routine services are as expensive as some of the Italian cars.  So the cost-to-own shouldn't be all that bad while the car is under warranty.

Originally Posted by SinnerP

Wow, that's awesome. Would love to see the Papaya-orange 12C up-close. That'd be my color-of-choice, given it's history.
We have a McLaren showroom here in HK and the color we got was the volcanic-red. Our F1 display car was Senna's MP4-8.

Voodoo ~ Been to the Nordschleife?

I like the 12C in white, but when I got to the dealership the salesman pointed out a customer that owned the 12C in orange (the car wasn't at the dealer yet).  He was just mentioning how it made the car stood out and we talked a little about McLaren's history with that color.  Well about 30 minutes later the customer went and got that orange 12C and brought it to the dealership... it's really amazing in person.  He also has it decked out with carbon fiber everything!  I still prefer the white, but that orange really looks good on the 12C.

I will be going to the Nordschleife in a few days... waiting for the weather to clear.

Papaya-orange + carbon fiber... AWWWWWWWWWWW... I'd just passout.
laugh.gif
How Bruce McLaren would have wanted it!
Seen any McLaren F1's over there? That, for me, is still the ultimate supercar. #1 for me!

Also, in your vid (and maybe depended on what mode the cars were in), but the 12C upshifts sounded faster than the Ferrari. Sport/race mode perhaps.

What will you be taking to the Nordschleife? Gonna try the 'Ring Taxi as well? Would love to see tons of vids of that!

Congrats on your potential McLaren purchase... as you can tell, they're my fav. team!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by freakydestroyer

Where were you working IT? And if you don't mind what was your salary range? 

Currently working in Germany (leaving soon).  The salary range is 95 - 260K depending on location and how much overtime you have to work.

Originally Posted by SinnerP

Papaya-orange + carbon fiber... AWWWWWWWWWWW... I'd just passout.
laugh.gif
How Bruce McLaren would have wanted it!
Seen any McLaren F1's over there? That, for me, is still the ultimate supercar. #1 for me!

Also, in your vid (and maybe depended on what mode the cars were in), but the 12C upshifts sounded faster than the Ferrari. Sport/race mode perhaps.

What will you be taking to the Nordschleife? Gonna try the 'Ring Taxi as well? Would love to see tons of vids of that!

Congrats on your potential McLaren purchase... as you can tell, they're my fav. team!
laugh.gif
Honestly, I couldn't tell which car upshifted the quickest... they both seemed to complete the upshift before I took my fingers off the paddle.  The 12C has a "pre-cog" feature that will make it shift even faster, but it's not very useful on the street.  You just pull the lever half-way and the car pre-loads the next gear, so when you're finally ready to shift it's even faster.  I have never seen a McLaren F1 in person.  I did find out the the 12C is getting even more power next year... it's will have at least 615 hp.

I'll be taking my R8 to The Ring.  I'm not sure about the Ring Taxi... I don't think it runs during the public days. 

Currently working in Germany (leaving soon).  The salary range is 95 - 260K depending on location and how much overtime you have to work.
Ohh I see. Yeah I read earlier when you said you're in Germany, but where were you before? And what type of companies do you do IT work for?

Ohh I see. Yeah I read earlier when you said you're in Germany, but where were you before? And what type of companies do you do IT work for?
I've worked all over the Mid-East (Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar, Dubai, etc.,).  Working for DoD contracting companies.

I've worked all over the Mid-East (Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar, Dubai, etc.,).  Working for DoD contracting companies.

That's whats up. How long have you been overseas?

voodoo wrote:

Honestly, I couldn't tell which car upshifted the quickest... they both seemed to complete the upshift before I took my fingers off the paddle.  The 12C has a "pre-cog" feature that will make it shift even faster, but it's not very useful on the street.  You just pull the lever half-way and the car pre-loads the next gear, so when you're finally ready to shift it's even faster.  I have never seen a McLaren F1 in person.  I did find out the the 12C is getting even more power next year... it's will have at least 615 hp.

I'll be taking my R8 to The Ring.  I'm not sure about the Ring Taxi... I don't think it runs during the public days. 

Yes, I've read about the "pre-cog"... kinda like a camera with the half-pressed shutter for the autofocus and a full-press for taking the actual photo.
BTW, you're getting a new car, but leaving Germany soon?

Are you on http://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/ ?

And keep an eye on the P12... coming soon. 
nerd.gif

Back
Top Bottom