McLaren MP4-12C vs Ferrari 458

Originally Posted by freakydestroyer

Originally Posted by voodoo

Ohh I see. Yeah I read earlier when you said you're in Germany, but where were you before? And what type of companies do you do IT work for?
I've worked all over the Mid-East (Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar, Dubai, etc.,).  Working for DoD contracting companies.

That's whats up. How long have you been overseas?

4 years.  Are you in the IT field?

Originally Posted by SinnerP

Papaya-orange + carbon fiber... AWWWWWWWWWWW... I'd just passout.
laugh.gif
How Bruce McLaren would have wanted it!
Seen any McLaren F1's over there? That, for me, is still the ultimate supercar. #1 for me!

Also, in your vid (and maybe depended on what mode the cars were in), but the 12C upshifts sounded faster than the Ferrari. Sport/race mode perhaps.

What will you be taking to the Nordschleife? Gonna try the 'Ring Taxi as well? Would love to see tons of vids of that!

Congrats on your potential McLaren purchase... as you can tell, they're my fav. team!
laugh.gif
No doubt the most McLaren-obsessed person on here. 
laugh.gif
 It's all good, though. 
pimp.gif

Either one is really sweet, OP. I'm slightly biased towards the Ferrari, though. (SinnerP would know. 
laugh.gif
 )

Congrats on the future pickup. Hope you take a vid of going around The Ring. 
pimp.gif

voodoo wrote:

Honestly, I couldn't tell which car upshifted the quickest... they both seemed to complete the upshift before I took my fingers off the paddle.  The 12C has a "pre-cog" feature that will make it shift even faster, but it's not very useful on the street.  You just pull the lever half-way and the car pre-loads the next gear, so when you're finally ready to shift it's even faster.  I have never seen a McLaren F1 in person.  I did find out the the 12C is getting even more power next year... it's will have at least 615 hp.

I'll be taking my R8 to The Ring.  I'm not sure about the Ring Taxi... I don't think it runs during the public days. 
Yes, I've read about the "pre-cog"... kinda like a camera with the half-pressed shutter for the autofocus and a full-press for taking the actual photo.
BTW, you're getting a new car, but leaving Germany soon?

Are you on  http://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/ ?

And keep an eye on the P12... coming soon. 
nerd.gif

If I do get the 12C, it'll be the 2013 model year so I have a while before any purchase.  I've only been in Germany a year, but I have become accustomed to driving the autobahns.  It's depressing to think about going back to the states. 

I browse that forum, but I haven't made an account there yet.   I'm sure the P12 will be way out of my price range, but I waiting to see the specs and what it looks like.

I've worked all over the Mid-East (Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar, Dubai, etc.,).  Working for DoD contracting companies.

That's whats up. How long have you been overseas?

4 years.  Are you in the IT field?

I'm looking into database administration. You should try the 499 next. I'm not even a fan of Ferrari's but I fell in love instantly.
pimp.gif

zk1MPLS wrote:

30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif

What? I low-key root for McLaren over Red Bull though. But that's like me being a Laker fan rooting for the Celtics against the Heat this round of the playoffs (which I am) 
embarassed.gif
laugh.gif

But McLaren is appreciated, though. Really. 
pimp.gif

Well the performance updates won't make too much of a difference I suppose, but the lifting system and the easy entry should be useful.

It does...

BTW it should be a great year for supercars, with the Veyron predecessor and the F70 due.

Hate to ask since your thread isn't about that, but what resource do you and others use to locate these overseas contract IT jobs?

Originally Posted by Mark Antony

Hate to ask since your thread isn't about that, but what resource do you and others use to locate these overseas contract IT jobs?

My field is relatively small, so a lot of the overseas contract positions are spread via word of mouth.  Of course we network with each other overseas so that helps... however if you do job searches on the major DoD contracting company websites you can usually find positions. 
Northrop Grumman
General Dynamics
SAIC
Lockheed Martin
Rayetheon
L3 Communications

Just named a few, but there's more... they all have overseas contracting jobs.

Originally Posted by lilpro4u

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
voodoo are you settling down over here for good?
No, got to keep it moving... I'll be leaving Germany soon.  I'm going back to the Middle East to support some equipment I work on.

Best of luck in your future endeavors, brother. Prior to graduation, I was deciding between offers for overseas IT contracting positions, analyst positions at a couple hedge funds, and a masters abroad at Oxford. I spoke to a few alumni that do work similar to yours and decided that the constant traveling, many times to remote locations as you mentioned, was too much and would take a serious toll on my social life, something that I wanted to maintain at least throughout my early twenties. 
laugh.gif
Congrats on your new purchase. Must feel good given all the sacrifices you've made

Originally Posted by sStutter

Best of luck in your future endeavors, brother. Prior to graduation, I was deciding between offers for overseas IT contracting positions, analyst positions at a couple hedge funds, and a masters abroad at Oxford. I spoke to a few alumni that do work similar to yours and decided that the constant traveling, many times to remote locations as you mentioned, was too much and would take a serious toll on my social life, something that I wanted to maintain at least throughout my early twenties. 
laugh.gif
Congrats on your new purchase. Must feel good given all the sacrifices you've made

What did you end up choosing? 
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to hate or show disrespect, but it's just amazing how much money is pumped into DoD, it's unreasonable in so many ways.

Nice video regarding the R8, cool car, but the autobahn is what is truly amazing. The quality of the roads in Germany is astounding and no speed limits, I hope next time I go to Germany I'll have a chance to drive a car which can do 300 kpmh or more...

laugh.gif

Lots of ways to get money, of course it's better if you can get it without having to make such extreme sacrifices.  I have a friend in DC making over 200k working for a virtual desktop company... lol leave the work at remote location for anti-social folks like myself!

Originally Posted by nocomment6

laugh.gif

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to hate or show disrespect, but it's just amazing how much money is pumped into DoD, it's unreasonable in so many ways.

Nice video regarding the R8, cool car, but the autobahn is what is truly amazing. The quality of the roads in Germany is astounding and no speed limits, I hope next time I go to Germany I'll have a chance to drive a car which can do 300 kpmh or more...
There's been a lot of cutbacks with DoD funding. One of the reasons I'm leaving Germany is because my current contract isn't being renewed.

Yes, the autobahn is amazing. Too bad we can never have anything like it in the states.

Originally Posted by nocomment6

Currently working on a startup with a couple buddies from college. I deferred the masters for a year and in all likelihood, I might not even decide to do it when decision time rolls around next year. Due to the networking I did/connections I made to get them, I'm confident that the hedge fund/asset management gigs will be there in the long run, but with all the premiums being dished out for tech startups recently, I thought that there's no better time to try to create something myself.

Back
Top Bottom