Media's Influence on Urban Youths

Does anyone believe that media has such a strong influence on the lifestyle choices of urban children in today's society? Almost every song/video/etc is about making money the wrong way. Isn't it about time this changes? Thoughts?

Who makes the songs? I mean whos writing it, everyones making the money, and they are talking about the fast come up- No ones talking bout 

"gonna hit the university, in 4 years have my first degree' etc.....  Why should they? Are doctors hittin the club getting ladies? Na they like 45 with a wife and kid already- Its the dream that "urban youths" want to live- ****   ill take that lyfe too

yawn.
:pimp:

Of course it has some influence. This ain't nothin but a re-run, has been happening for several decades just in a different form each generation.

Of course it has some influence. This ain't nothin but a re-run, has been happening for several decades just in a different form each generation.
I wouldn't say it has been happening for generations. Media, in the 21st century has had probably the largest impact on youth culture than ever before.

If there was a positive role model for urban youths in today's media, don't you think things might be different?

Who makes the songs? I mean whos writing it, everyones making the money, and they are talking about the fast come up- No ones talking bout 

"gonna hit the university, in 4 years have my first degree' etc.....  Why should they? Are doctors hittin the club getting ladies? Na they like 45 with a wife and kid already- Its the dream that "urban youths" want to live- ****   ill take that lyfe too

If there was a positive role model for urban youths in today's media, don't you think things might be different?
the urban youth don't give a damn about about a positive role model.

they're immune to that ****.

the urban youth don't give a damn about about a positive role model.

they're immune to that ****.
Isn't that the problem? Maybe they need a wake up call so they don't fall into the proverty stricken - drug proned problems that their family have been stuck in for years.

SCRUBS
pimp.gif

The media influences everyone everyday,not just urban youths. In regards to your example though the key is for the parents to actually parent. I've been listening to JAY-Z since I was 7 and I didnt even know what half the stuff he was talking about was. Yet I'm not pushing keys in the street I'm pushing keys on a computer. Solid parenting overcomes media influence.

Does anyone believe that media has such a strong influence on the lifestyle choices of urban children in today's society? Almost every song/video/etc is about making money the wrong way. Isn't it about time this changes? Thoughts?
If anyone understands where you're coming from, It's me. 

The children have NO positive role models, single-parent households, influenced by the local pimps and/ or drug dealers and have NO guidance besides negative "guidance" and media's influence to do any and everything (legal or not) to get the "all-might" dollar. 

I have been contemplating ways to reach the youth and trying to build their self-esteem up to where they know they are worth more than only wishing for a life of fast money, drugs and sex. But there are a MULTITUDE of reasons why the youth are the way they are. But we do need to reverse this cycle and steer the youth down the right and psotive pathway, and away from the norm they they have grown too accustomed to.

If anyone understands where you're coming from, It's me. 

The children have NO positive role models, single-parent households, influenced by the local pimps and/ or drug dealers and have NO guidance besides negative "guidance" and media's influence to do any and everything (legal or not) to get the "all-might" dollar. 

I have been contemplating ways to reach the youth and trying to build their self-esteem up to where they know they are worth more than only wishing for a life of fast money, drugs and sex. But there are a MULTITUDE of reasons why the youth are the way they are. But we do need to reverse this cycle and steer the youth down the right and psotive pathway, and away from the norm they they have grown too accustomed to.
^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is what I am talking about. You hit it right on the head. Thank you Mac! 

^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is what I am talking about. You hit it right on the head. Thank you Mac! 
Already! the children of today, and yes they are children because most wild behavior (such as killings, robberies, etc) are done from CHILDREN between the ages of 13-18. They need role models. Urban youth especially. Urban youth see drugs, killings, negative media influence and think that's the only way things work in the world. The world is much larger than your city/hood. Urban youth needs to go to family reunions and see doctors in their families. They need to look outside and see their neighbors as lawyers, teachers, etc., not pimps and drug dealers. The youth need to see both parents at home with smiles on their faces and teaching them right vs wrong, not just mommy around with the weight of the world on her shoulders and daddy no where to be found. As cliche and corny as it may sound--The youth are our future! They say it takes a community to raise a child and I strongly believe that to be true.

Read the title as "Madea's Influence on Urban Youth" and came in here ready to flame Tyler Perry :smh: :lol:

I don't think the idea of going to a UC, getting 3 hrs a sleep durring test weeks, being stressed out, barely making your bills on time, then graduating only to pay off your student loans for the next 19 years is going to be the next club banger....
You can try though! I'll play it, at least twice.

lol

I personally believe young black "youths" (especially females) don't have positive figures on purpose. They know our kids will follow what they see. They know our kids will have limited access to positive influences outside in the outside world, easy way to keep folks dumb. So of course OP.

Back
Top Bottom